Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

VLSM and CIDR aren't the same things, are they?

I didn't think so (I was actually going to correct him and say "No, you're thinking of CIDR"), but some quick Googling says they are.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=VLSM&redirect=no :effort:

I'm not sure how that's supposed to blow his mind, though. It's not a particularly difficult concept; it's just annoying and involves too much math.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If I were to do the CCNA composite exam how much trivial memorization should I expect to need to do.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

If I were to do the CCNA composite exam how much trivial memorization should I expect to need to do.

A lot. I failed the part 2 twice before I said "Why am I putting myself through this bullshit?" Then again, I never, ever touch a Cisco router in my day job, so it was more of a "this will look good on my resume" thing than a "this is necessary for advancement" thing.

Spend lots of time on OSPF, EIGRP, (R)STP and archaic WAN links.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Methanar posted:

I don't think there's really that much memorization in the CCNA. Some basic port numbers, link costs for certain protocols, maybe IPv6 group addresses (though I only ever saw those in like, one practice test), but it's mostly conceptual.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I don't think there's really that much memorization in the CCNA. Some basic port numbers, link costs for certain protocols, maybe IPv6 group addresses (though I only ever saw those in like, one practice test), but it's mostly conceptual.

I guess it depends on what you consider "memorization." If you're worried about memorizing every port number ever, don't be. But you sure as poo poo better know the order of steps for selecting a spanning tree root switch (and the differences in names between STP and RSTP. Because they change, for some bullshit reason).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I can do multi area OSPF, can subnet perfectly, layer 3 etherchannel, vlans. I was just concerned about poo poo like what is the default value for the 3rd K value in the eigrp routing algorithm or expect me to know that eigrp's AD is 90, OSPF is 110 or eigrp's protocol number.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

I can do multi area OSPF, can subnet perfectly, layer 3 etherchannel, vlans. I was just concerned about poo poo like what is the default value for the 3rd K value in the eigrp routing algorithm or expect me to know that eigrp's AD is 90, OSPF is 110 or eigrp's protocol number.

You need to know the cost of all the routing protocols, yes. You also need to know costs of different links for STP. Basically just cram STP and routing over and over again, because that was like half the test (Oh God, it's coming back to me. I think I have PTSD).

The other half is going to be "What's wrong with the configuration on R2?"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There is some random incidental stuff like that- EIGRP being 90 versus OSPF being AD 110 gets brought up (I remembered that by reasoning that EIGRP is Cisco's protocol, so Cisco devices would prioritize it. no idea if that's actually the rationale, but it helped me remember). But yeah, it does depend on your definition of "memorization", I guess.

Like, there isn't any "memorize this table of things and numbers that any sane engineer would just look up anyway" like there are on the A+. But, for example, knowing that the command to see what type of devices (switches or routers) your neighbors are is show cdp neighbors is absolutely something you should know without googling.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

There is some random incidental stuff like that- EIGRP being 90 versus OSPF being AD 110 gets brought up (I remembered that by reasoning that EIGRP is Cisco's protocol, so Cisco devices would prioritize it. no idea if that's the rationale but it helped me remember). But yeah, it does depend on your definition of "memorization", I guess.

Like, there isn't any "memorize this table of things and numbers that any sane engineer would just look up anyway" like there are on the A+. But, for example, knowing that the command to see what type of devices (switches or routers) your neighbors are is show cdp neighbors is absolutely something you should know without googling.

Oh, and spend lots and lots of time with packet tracer (if you have access to it) or a Cisco router (if you don't). You need to know configuration commands front to back, because they will ask you to do bullshit like know the syntax for a given command is slightly wrong. That's what got me, because I really don't use this stuff enough to bother memorizing any of it (and I've forgotten 90% of what I learned studying).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I should be okay then because I've done ridiculously elaborate work in packet tracer and real hardware for actual configuration.

For the spanning tree bit is it just know that it sucks and that you should always use (802.1W) rpvst. Root bridge is determined by lowest mac by default, you can specify a certain device you want to be root, you can set different roots for different vlans as a load balancing measure, secondary bridges for backup. Then know the two different commands for actually doing it? I'm just not sure of the scale, depth or finickiness of the exam because I've never wrote a vendor exam before.

Alright I can figure out which links would be blocking too.

How is the exam administered then, do they sit me down infront of a program simulating a network with a list of things to do or is it paper based?

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

I should be okay then because I've done ridiculously elaborate work in packet tracer and real hardware for actual configuration.

For the spanning tree bit is it just know that it sucks and that you should always use (802.1W) rpvst. Root bridge is determined by lowest mac by default, you can specify a certain device you want to be root, you can set different roots for different vlans as a load balancing measure, secondary bridges for backup. Then know the two different commands for actually doing it? I'm just not sure of the scale, depth or finickiness of the exam because I've never wrote a vendor exam before.

They will go deeper than that. They'll ask you to say which link in a network actually ends up being disabled (and on which side the disabled port is). You actually have to follow the logical steps (R)STP takes and draw it out to find the answer. They'll also ask questions on specific versions of protocols you WON'T ever use (like know the differences between STP, RSTP, PVST+ and RPVST because they'll pick one at random). Mostly because they're dicks.

Edit: In fact, just assume they're going to be dicks and do things like set two switches to the same priority in a map of like 7 switches.

Double Edit: Had to clean that up. I'm rusty. :doh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 20, 2015

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I just finished a 7 day bootcamp of 8+hour days in class followed by 3-4 hours of cram sesh every night. But now I have my CCNA and CCNA: Sec! :woop:

I did the ICND1/2 path, and I have to say I could have probably made it through ICND1 without the class. ICND2 and the security stuff though, it was super helpful to have a teacher who knew how to distill down to what the exam wants you to know. I wouldn't call myself an expert in any of those topics but I definitely have some foundation to build on now.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Im studying for ICND2 now, right now at VPNs and GRE in Odom's book.

Any thing jump out at you that should be hit hard? I hear everyone says RSTP....

Someone over at reddit.com/r/ccna stated that Odom had an addendum on STP stuff too

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/cisco/bookreg/9781587143731/40_9781587143731_appb.pdf

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
STP. I'd estimate like 40% of the questions I got on my ICND2 exam were STP-based.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Alain Post posted:

STP. I'd estimate like 40% of the questions I got on my ICND2 exam were STP-based.

Agreed on the STP. The questions aren't verbatim all the time but you'll definitely recognize some of the diagrams. Also make sure you know your PPP, frame-relay and know a bit about ACLS (mainly the types/differences between named, standard, extended and dynamic, and how the configurations work with wildcard masks).

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 31, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think ICND2 is where you start to get into LSA types/propagation, too, which does require some memorization.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Work's paying for me to take the Palo Alto training and certs. Anyone done them? Supposedly they're comparable to the CCNA/NP, but I don't see how that's possible because nothing on earth can be as maddening as ASAs.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

VLSM and CIDR aren't the same things, are they?

The way I understand it VLSM is how you get smaller-than "Class A/B/C" networks, and CIDR is how you're able to mix them when routing. Not like that's much of a distinction. *shrug*

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CrazyLittle posted:

The way I understand it VLSM is how you get smaller-than "Class A/B/C" networks, and CIDR is how you're able to mix them when routing. Not like that's much of a distinction. *shrug*

I guess since I don't really do poo poo with networks outside of /24, I think of CIDR just as the notation rather than what it actually represents.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone done the Cisco Design CCDA? I'm thinking about that one after I finish the Data Centre cert. I already have the CCENT done, so it should be one exam only?

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Question: I passed the A+ 801exam last august. Since then I've been loafing around and putting off studying for the 802, and keep rescheduling it further and further away. Is there a time period in which the 801 would expire and I would have to take both again? I'm going to buckle down and get the 802 done this spring, I just want to make sure its not too late.

Bone fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Spudalicious posted:

<redacted> was a great resource for me for some of the simulation questions: URL changed to explanation about dumps The questions aren't verbatim all the time but you'll definitely recognize some of the diagrams.

Braindumps are considered cheating here. If you already know the questions to the test going in, you are not tested on the knowledge in the field, you are only tested on the specific wording of that question. Also: if Cisco ever finds out, your CCNA will be voided plus you will get a ban from testing with Cisco again.

Methanar posted:

Alright I can figure out which links would be blocking too.

How is the exam administered then, do they sit me down infront of a program simulating a network with a list of things to do or is it paper based?

The exams are computer based. Cisco actually has the exact tutorial you get before every test online, so familiarize yourself with that. One point of note for Cisco exams, that is different from most other vendors' exams: there is no back button. Be especially weary of the for multipart questions, where you will have to answer all questions before hitting next.

e: The tutorial and the EULA don't count towards your time. Take this time to get yourself comfortable before you get going. You can also use this time to jot down some references, so you don't have to think about it during the test itself.

As to the knowledge level needed for CCNA: The hard part about the details you need to know, is that the level of explanation now is so shallow, you won't be getting the why behind the values. The why makes it a lot easier, but also require a lot more info to work with.

As for spanning-tree: Draw some random diagrams of switches and links, pick random port speeds between them and give every switch a random priority and mac*. Now go through and if you can answer which ports get which role, you know enough for the exam.
Make sure to mix link speeds to make everything more difficult though.

You dont have to go for the full 32 bit priority or 48 bit MAC address. If you just give them Prio "8", Mac: "1a", it will not change anything for the logic and calculations.

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 21, 2015

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Ashley Madison posted:

Has anyone done the Cisco Design CCDA? I'm thinking about that one after I finish the Data Centre cert. I already have the CCENT done, so it should be one exam only?

Yeah, you just have to pass DESGN. You have to know a little bit less about R&S than would be required to pass ICND2, but you also have to know some extra stuff about collaboration, security, etc. It IS still just an associate-level cert, but it's not the easiest one of that class that Cisco has.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bone posted:

Question: I passed the A+ 801exam last august. Since then I've been loafing around and putting off studying for the 802, and keep rescheduling it further and further away. Is there a time period in which the 801 would expire and I would have to take both again? I'm going to buckle down and get the 802 done this spring, I just want to make sure its not too late.

I believe it's one year after you pass your 801.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, you just have to pass DESGN. You have to know a little bit less about R&S than would be required to pass ICND2, but you also have to know some extra stuff about collaboration, security, etc. It IS still just an associate-level cert, but it's not the easiest one of that class that Cisco has.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't done ICND2 and I'm kind of putting that one off because we don't use Cisco routers where I work. I suppose I'll have to bite it and finish it at some point, just to have it on my resume.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone know a way to get a discount on the VMware VCA exams?

They used to be pretty cheap and one of my coworkers wanted to take the test, but full price is too much.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone know a way to get a discount on the VMware VCA exams?

They used to be pretty cheap and one of my coworkers wanted to take the test, but full price is too much.

There's no reason to take the VCA exams if you have to pay money for them. Literally, the curriculum is marketing material.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

There's no reason to take the VCA exams if you have to pay money for them. Literally, the curriculum is marketing material.

I've got a coworker on graveyard helpdesk who wants to prove to management that he actually has some ambition, specifically with VMware stuff.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a coworker on graveyard helpdesk who wants to prove to management that he actually has some ambition, specifically with VMware stuff.

The second he goes in there with his VCA, he's going to get asked to provide costs. And get asked technical questions. The first set of which will cause jaws to drop if it's coming from Joe Helpdesk, the latter of which don't get taught until the VCP.

Your co-worker will score a real coup if he goes for the VCP. He should get on the Stanly waiting list and take the required course for $125, and then he'll come in with some actually usable knowledge. If he takes and passes the VCP, he can come in with a hugely recognized industry-standard vendor cert and the knowledge to back it up.

I mean, you could always open up a VMware account under a work email, register some interest in vSphere, and talk to a sales rep. Maybe they could give a voucher or a discount or something, doubly so if your co-worker presents himself as wanting to take some responsibility and be that sales rep's leverage into your organization.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This isn't directly at you, I don't know you, but why do goons, or the internet en masse, think people need to convince them? His coworker wants to take the VCA - therefore, his coworker is taking the VCA. You don't need to have an opinion on everything. Sometimes it's "here's a link to the exam blueprint, and here's a link to VMware pubs, good day", nothing more is asked of you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This isn't directly at you, I don't know you, but why do goons, or the internet en masse, think people need to convince them? His coworker wants to take the VCA - therefore, his coworker is taking the VCA. You don't need to have an opinion on everything. Sometimes it's "here's a link to the exam blueprint, and here's a link to VMware pubs, good day", nothing more is asked of you.

I took the VCA, and I kind of wish someone told me it was useless before spending $120 on it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
He's signed up for a VCP class at a local Community College in November. He wants to start getting some hands on experience before starting the class though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In my second post about it I pitched a possibility of getting a discount or voucher by signing up for a VMware account (which is free) and talking to a rep about a voucher for the VCA (asking is free).

Maybe if he talks to the Powers that Be about it, they might agree to reimburse exam costs if he passes and provides proof. Which shouldn't be hard, because unless they changed stuff around, you take the VCA online and could probably open-book it. But KillHour sums up the example entirely correctly.

I know what you're saying with the "just answer the dude's question, why you gotta be goons and pitch an answer in the entire other direction" but the VCA is a literal waste of time and money if it's not reimbursed. Its contributions won't allow him to take on building even the simplest VMware solution - it's literally designed to get people to talk up how great the cloud is and how awesome VMware is for anything related to the cloud. I'm willing to bet that if a proper survey was done with statistical controls and everything, between people who have the VCA and people who don't, the amount of benefit having the VCA has done will be little more than a rounding error.

If he's taking the VCA out of his own pocket, the only thing I can think of is asking a rep for a voucher in exchange for talking up VMware, which is what the VCA is out to do.

Some googling yielded this page; if there's a deal from VMware this is where it'd be: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=41387

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195785519/cybrary-the-worlds-first-free-it-and-cyber-securit/comments

c'mon guys. Dig deep.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've got my CCNP Switch exam this friday. :ohdear:

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

sudo rm -rf posted:

I've got my CCNP Switch exam this friday. :ohdear:

I'd be curious if it is still more of a CCNP FHRP exam since the latest updates.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Now that I got my VCP. I've been looking at the next certification to work on and have been fairly interested in linux as of late. So i'm looking into the RHCSA and I read somewhere on here that a new Jang RHCSA book is coming out sometime soon. Are there any other resources that are good so I can at least get a jump on the material? Would the REHL 6 deployment guide suffice or is there something better?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Red Hat certs are in a terrible spot right now. The exams are updated for RHEL 7 but none of the popular books (maybe none at all?) have been updated to match. Jang's isn't due out til this fall. RHEL 7 is a pretty big departure from 6 in a number of ways, such as systemd vs SysV init and firewalld vs iptables, so if you aren't using it frequently at work it could suck trying to squeak by on outdated materials.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Is it ok to take the 801 and 802 A+ exams a day apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

magicalmako posted:

Is it ok to take the 801 and 802 A+ exams a day apart?

I don't see why it would be a problem.

The CBT Nuggets only ahs two somewhat short videos on IPv6 for ICND1...should I just know the basic nuts and bolts of IPv6 or is this something that CISCO is going to surprise me on and have a decent amount of questions on it?