Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This article has an update on the Apu Trilogy status.

Andrew Robinson posted:

[The Apu Trilogy] will be released as a movie in New York in May 2015, followed by a DVD release later in 2015.
:woop:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Where did you see it? I've been looking everywhere the last few years to see it again. Haven't seen it since it was on cinemax all the time in the early 90s.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I'm assuming he meant the actual screening at MoMA.
I did indeed see it at MOMA, where Wenders did a Q&A afterwards. He revealed that the negative was struck from the 4 1/2 hour version without the knowledge of the financiers, and that when it came time to deliver the finished 2 1/2 hour version for prints to be made, he just sent an interpositive and no-one second guessed why there was no negative. A few years later, he went back to the negative and was able to very easily make his director's cut. I'd seen the longer version before, it came out on DVD in Germany about 10 years ago, but didn't have English subtitles for the scenes in French and Japanese, so it was a little hard to follow at points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

The Time Dissolver posted:

The BBS box is the bomb, wait for a sale and get it at not much more than Five Easy Pieces alone at full price.
I got it during the last sale with a 15% code tacked on already. All in all, though, I would have preferred to just have a stand alone Five Easy Pieces, though the booklet is nice.

I sold off Head and Easy Rider since I don't like either of those. I like Drive, He Said and A Safe Place. I'm still trying to sell of The Last Picture Show and King of Marvin Gardens but haven't had any takers.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

robix smash posted:

I sold off Head and Easy Rider since I don't like either of those. I like Drive, He Said and A Safe Place. I'm still trying to sell of The Last Picture Show and King of Marvin Gardens but haven't had any takers.

I'm really curious because I'm the exact opposite. I love everything in the set except for Drive, He Said and A Safe Place. What is it about those two that does it for you, but you dislike about the rest?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Speaking of box sets, sorry if this has already been talked about, but I only found out during that flash sale that apparently you can only buy Playtime as part of the entire Tati box set, at least physically. Does anyone know if this was part of the deal of distributing his films, or if they will ever sell them separately at some point in the future?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

kuddles posted:

Speaking of box sets, sorry if this has already been talked about, but I only found out during that flash sale that apparently you can only buy Playtime as part of the entire Tati box set, at least physically. Does anyone know if this was part of the deal of distributing his films, or if they will ever sell them separately at some point in the future?

Playtime was already released on DVD and Bluray separately at one time but then went out of print. I would assume the reason why you can't buy it alone would likely be a licensing issue.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There is no reason to split the Tati box. $60 is worth it just for Playtime and Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
That box set is so amazing. I hadn't seen Jour de Fête since I was like 7 and it was on PBS, and it was just as magical

And yeah, I have the Playtime DVD from before Criterion lost the license for like two years there, prior to making the box set. I should probably offload that and my DVDs of M Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle onto my best bud or something.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I gave my OOP copy of Playtime to Nathan Rabin as a gift last Christmas. :smug:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hewlett posted:

I gave my OOP copy of Playtime to Nathan Rabin as a gift last Christmas. :smug:

Why would you give Nathan Rabin anything besides a kick in the dick

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

There is no reason to split the Tati box. $60 is worth it just for Playtime and Mr. Hulot's Holiday.
Yeah, the issue is that living in Canada, between the exchange rate, shipping and duties, it'd be much more than that even during the flash sale. Not that it wouldn't still be worth it, but I'm being more selective these days due to family expenses.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

Why would you give Nathan Rabin anything besides a kick in the dick

Hahaha

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Apu Trilogy is coming before the end of the year, after the theatrical re-release. The 4K restorations used a mix of surviving fire damaged camera negatives and other elements.

Also looks like they're definitely working on the Before trilogy and Boyhood after all, as well as The Brood.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Nice! My latest haul from the Flash Sale made it through customs without any duties or taxes. Now I wish I had picked up that Tati box set. Looks like I'm watching Colonel Blimp tonight.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Here's Your Life.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 31, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Which Criterions have the best commentaries?

My favorite is Straw Dogs. It completely changed how I saw the film, and for the better. It is the gold standard I hold all other commentaries to.

The Seven Samurai round table one is pretty good too!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Spinal Tap commentary is pretty great.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What makes it good? Also, I must confess I haven't seen the film..

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Which Criterions have the best commentaries?

My favorite is Straw Dogs. It completely changed how I saw the film, and for the better. It is the gold standard I hold all other commentaries to.

The Seven Samurai round table one is pretty good too!

It's not Criterion (but maybe it should be), but Dark City has an amazing commentary from Roger Ebert. He loves the film and goes into a ton of detail about the style, history, etc. of the film. It's really, really awesome.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's a heavily improvised comedy, and the track is the three main actors basically doing the same over the movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mod sassinator posted:

It's not Criterion (but maybe it should be), but Dark City has an amazing commentary from Roger Ebert. He loves the film and goes into a ton of detail about the style, history, etc. of the film. It's really, really awesome.

I really liked his commentary for Citizen Kane and his idea that it was the best special effects movie ever made. I'll defiantly check it out!

morestuff posted:

It's a heavily improvised comedy, and the track is the three main actors basically doing the same over the movie.

Nice. I like Rob Reiner so I will check this out too!

Any other obscure ones worth listening too?

edit: criterion or not

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

morestuff posted:

The Spinal Tap commentary is pretty great.

Spinal Tap is great. It's like watching a whole second movie's worth of content.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

Spinal Tap is great. It's like watching a whole second movie's worth of content.

On the other DVD/Blu-Ray there literally is a second movie's worth of deleted scenes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Corek posted:

On the other DVD/Blu-Ray there literally is a second movie's worth of deleted scenes.

Oh, you know what, I was thinking of the MGM dvd commentary. The one with the guys in character talking about how they felt the documentary portrayed them and about the history of the band. Apparently the commentaries on the Criterion release are different?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Steven Soderbergh does great commenatries. I really like the one he did for The Third Man.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

Steven Soderbergh does great commenatries. I really like the one he did for The Third Man.

Yet another reason I wish I owned that on blu-ray. :smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The commentary with Gary Graver and Oja Kodar on F for Fake is wonderful. Terry Gilliam's track for Brazil is like a masterclass in filmmaking. Any of Wes Anderson's tracks are good for being both entertaining and informative, even if he's not as funny to listen to as Gilliam.

Also, anything by David Kalat, Casper Tyberg, and Rudy Behlmer is worth listening to. Not Criterion, but the best historical track I've listened to is Behlmer's for Gone with the Wind.

I've been meaning to rip commentaries to save as MP3s so I can listen to them during my commute.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Egbert Souse posted:

The commentary with Gary Graver and Oja Kodar on F for Fake is wonderful. Terry Gilliam's track for Brazil is like a masterclass in filmmaking.
Yeah seconded, Terry Gilliam always does amazing commentaries, I'm sure The Fisher King will be no different. I also love Robert Altman's for 3 Women and Mike Leigh's for Naked, Peter Bogdanovich's for The Last Picture Show.

Non-Criterion, but Steven Soderbergh and John Boorman's for Point Blank is an all time favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lnes7E4Ak

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

David Fincher's track on The Game is really good. He's so interesting and informative that it's a bummer when the track cuts away to someone else.

Weird Al does a great job with his commentary for UHF. A lot of times when it's one person alone the track tends to get slow with a lot of quiet spots, but he keeps his energy up and talks for pretty much the entire duration.

Panic Room has an awesome writers commentary with David Koepp where has William Goldman as a guest. That one's great.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I can personally vouch for the critic's commentaries on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters, which both work really well as companion pieces to each other. They're also a really nice smattering of dry humor thrown in there to make the commentaries not seem too academic.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hibernator posted:

Weird Al does a great job with his commentary for UHF. A lot of times when it's one person alone the track tends to get slow with a lot of quiet spots, but he keeps his energy up and talks for pretty much the entire duration.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Jay Levey is there too, and Emo Philips shows up as well.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I Before E posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Jay Levey is there too, and Emo Philips shows up as well.

poo poo, you're completely right! I completely forgot about them both. Guess I owe that one a re-listen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
David Cronenberg's commentaries are always pretty top notch.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Killers (1946 and 1964) - upgrade, box set
Hiroshima Mon Amour - upgrade
The Black Stallion
My Beautiful Laundrette
Here Is Your Life
:siren: Moonrise Kingdom :siren:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 15, 2015

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Slate Action posted:

Hiroshima Mon Amour - upgrade
:siren: Moonrise Kingdom :siren:
About time on both of these.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hiroshima mon amour - if I liked it just a little bit more, I'd probably buy it. But I've owned it before and gotten rid of it, so I'll pass

Here Is Your Life - never seen it, but I like some Jan Troell. Rental.

The Black Stallion - sonofabitch, I just bought the older Blu-Ray. Well, yeah, I'll buy this

My Beautiful Laundrette - never seen it, it's been on the edge of my radar for ages though. Rental.

Moonrise Kingdom - been waiting for this. Buy.

The Killers - '46 version is good but I've seen it twice and I just don't love it as much as others do. never seen the '64 version. Pass.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Interesting article posted yesterday about the Apu trilogy. There is also an offhanded commented in there that Wellesnet latched onto about a possible hint about Criterion doing "Chimes at Midnight" as well.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/the-dramatic-story-behind-satyajit-rays-50s-masterpiece-the-apu-trilogy-exclusive-20150414

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Cacator posted:

Have you heard his commentary for Schizopolis? It's him interviewing himself, and just being as absolutely pretentious as possible, and it's hilarious. At one point he starts talking about how his film not only breaks the fourth wall, then it breaks through the fifth wall, and then turns up and breaks through the ceiling. Which, I admit, it kind of does.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Janus Films' Apu Trilogy trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgv68E_o6VM

Looks really fantastic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GrandpaPants posted:

Janus Films' Apu Trilogy trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgv68E_o6VM

Looks really fantastic.

Oh man, I can't wait to see these. The copy of Pather Panchali I saw looked like someone had eaten the film, then pooped it out right into the tape. Talk about worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That picture looks pristine.