Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damegane
May 7, 2013
A quote from elsewhere

quote:

From 2ch SHIROBAKO thread (and posted on Yaraon)
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-30834.html

Apparently some editor got pissed and made multiple tweets bitching about how editors are depicted in SHIROBAKO
But it backfired. This guy Ishiguro apparently is famous for being exactly the kind of douchebag the show depicted, and he was the inspiration for the character "Haraguro" in Genshiken.
If you remember, Haraguro was the dirtbag editor who would do anything to make a buck.

Ishiguro is infamous in the industry, like flame-trolling forums to spam and quitting jobs left and right, but the biggest one was when he straight out lied to Futaba and tried to steal characters drawn by anonymous artists on the imageboard. He lied saying he got permission to make manga out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I have composed a song:

Shirobako is so good
is so good
is so good.

Shirobako is so good
I like it a lot.

Nice song.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This show needs to win anime of the year 2015.

So loving good. So happy for Shizuka.

This show is the healing I needed after Your Lie In April :saddowns:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Exactly how I felt.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This episode was pretty much perfect to me.

Every visual gag the director has been in has been pure magic.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's an out of nowhere anime original hit that had a second volume sell faster than the first. At the very least we're getting a movie.

Didn't someone say itt that they originally meant it to be 4 cour but only got 2?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm mildly disappointed there isn't a gif of the director and president zooming around the table.

Yeah. Tears of :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Poil posted:

I'm mildly disappointed there isn't a gif of the director and president zooming around the table.

Yeah. Tears of :3:

On first watch it didn't look like it looped well, but it's not too bad!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

On first watch it didn't look like it looped well, but it's not too bad!

Haha, that's awesome. I could watch it all day. :)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know I was saying earlier how I would prefer it if Shizuka didn't get a job? I still think so, but I think they've earned a happy ending with this episode and its discussion of whether or not to give characters happy endings, and it didn't feel like an asspull the reasoning they had for it.

Also that insane confrontation at the manga HQ is totally how Director Kinoshita would have storyboarded it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Didn't someone say itt that they originally meant it to be 4 cour but only got 2?

They did enough planning for 4 cours but the reality is late night shows are 2 cours max barring special circumstances (and even JoJo SC got split in half).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I nearly lost it at the pseudo-Ennio Morricone music. What a fantastic (in both senses of the word) episode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fangz posted:

Also that insane confrontation at the manga HQ is totally how Director Kinoshita would have storyboarded it.

I heard the director really wanted to escape on horseback but they didn't have the animation budget for it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I just realized that the VA who does Shizuka also does Gi-ja (white dragon) in Yona.. that's hilarious

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Razzled posted:

So I just realized that the VA who does Shizuka also does Gi-ja (white dragon) in Yona.. that's hilarious

... as a child, yes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

darkgray posted:

... as a child, yes.

Oh ok that makes sense, I was like drat she got skills

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I happy as the scene was, I couldn't help but feel in the back of my head that Shizuka isn't actually a very good voice actor? I mean, compared to Aria's lines in the same scene, Lucy sounded pretty stiff. Or maybe I'm just not fond of that sort of affectation.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

amazon's top selling anime blurays after episode 23 aired

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's an out of nowhere anime original hit that had a second volume sell faster than the first. At the very least we're getting a movie.

A real movie or a compilation movie?

If they make a real movie I want them to talk about how lovely compilation movies are

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MY PREDICTION CAME TRUE

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A very clever and subtle thing they did was that the character design of 'Lucy' is very similar to that of Sailor Suit and F3's main character's original design.

In other words, they earned the right to change the ending, by returning the author's former creation to him.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnacondaHL posted:

what is this warmth that i feel in my cold jaded heart

Same

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Wait, did they really create an anime original ending, or is the author going to go along with it in the books too? It seemed like that was actually going to become the canon plot from their conversation in the meeting.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It doesn't really matter since both sides got what they wanted. The author himself said at the start of that meeting he wasn't sure yet of whether Aria will fly again or not since the manga hadn't progressed beyond that point yet I think, so it looks like the meeting got him to figure out where to take the story from there. The fact that he designed Lucy afterwards probably means he'll go with it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I got curious about how they managed to magic up Nogame's email so quickly, and it looks like the actual reason is because Mr. Funny Story covered his tracks poorly and forwarded part of an email chain to Musashi instead of just replying to them:

also, I liked the Street Fighter references during the scene at the headquarters

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wasn't this a problem with Dragonball? Someone told me the reason they had all those infamously long charge up scenes was because they were trying to stretch out the the time to see what the story was doing in the manga. Is that true?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Finally actually watched the episode. How did no one mention cowboy Kinoshita and his "HADOBELLY! SHORYUBELLY!! TATSUMAKI SENPUBELLY!!!"

Also, yeah...

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't this a problem with Dragonball? Someone told me the reason they had all those infamously long charge up scenes was because they were trying to stretch out the the time to see what the story was doing in the manga. Is that true?

Pretty much all ongoing series have this problem and it results in really terrible pacing. DBZ had a bit of it naturally, which made it more noticeable, but you see it in other Jump stuff like One Piece, Naruto, etc.

If a manga's cranking out a chapter a week with a week off here and there, the anime will catch up eventually if they cover more than a chapter an episode, and a lot of manga chapters don't have 20 minutes of content in them.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Finally actually watched the episode. How did no one mention cowboy Kinoshita and his "HADOBELLY! SHORYUBELLY!! TATSUMAKI SENPUBELLY!!!"

Also, yeah...

Well what's left to say about perfection?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

God I hope next week isn't the end of this show. It probably is though - I don't know where they even go from here, honestly.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Spiritus Nox posted:

God I hope next week isn't the end of this show. It probably is though - I don't know where they even go from here, honestly.

Better a good early ending than a long dragged out one.

It was a really good show.

edit: Fun fact I just realized. Did you know the President's office is the kitchen?

sincx fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 21, 2015

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

sincx posted:

edit: Fun fact I just realized. Did you know the President's office is the kitchen?

I did notice that!

Also, in the CR subs, when the president gives the director those clothes he actually says "battle clothes," which I thought makes more sense than both the president and the director thinking that cowboy clothes are "sharp." Then again, they are an old man and a neckbeard and I only have the two years of obligatory japanese classes that my weeb phase put me through to back this up. I'm sure the CR translator has more experience with that stuff. Still, I thought it was worth pointing out since the director is literally leaving to battle.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

vivisecting posted:

I did notice that!

Also, in the CR subs, when the president gives the director those clothes he actually says "battle clothes," which I thought makes more sense than both the president and the director thinking that cowboy clothes are "sharp." Then again, they are an old man and a neckbeard and I only have the two years of obligatory japanese classes that my weeb phase put me through to back this up. I'm sure the CR translator has more experience with that stuff. Still, I thought it was worth pointing out since the director is literally leaving to battle.

You're right though. CR subbers are known to be a bunch of monkeys who can even screw up with numbers.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

The original two seasons plan was supposed to have Minamori continue to rise in rank, PA → desk→ line producer→ producer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The world probably isn't ready for 20+ episodes of Aoi trying to obtain funding for the Seven Lucky Gods.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She shouldn't have gotten the job though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's like three lines in a single episode I'm not sure if that qualifies as a full job.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's like three lines in a single episode I'm not sure if that qualifies as a full job.

Its still a credit in a major production. Sure, she won't be raking in them voice actor bux, but she'll atleast not be a total newcomer anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The true twist is that Shizukas happy ending is just something the staff insisted upon. The true ending is her falling into alcoholism and eventually marrying someone she hates because of societal pressure, while deep down being miserable for the rest of her dull life of soul crushing mediocrity. Occasionally she gets to argue with 1.4 children that despise her, numbers declining. This is poignant because the industry is cruel. However, due to the production issues this would have created they just went with this anime original ending instead as that got done in advance.

Funny story.

Same

• Locked thread