Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
kubunut has been working janitor free for over two months. Ubunut 12.04 is still working for my parents, janitor free for almost three years now. I looked at arch and saw it was sooooo bleeding edge they can't make an easy to use installer for it.

You guys talked me into trying fedora and it couldn't even configure a viable way to install itself on my hard drive.

slam ubunut as much as you want, but ubunut really does work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Oh, I have a windows partition to run windows programs and games originally for the windows platform on. Square Hole, Round Peg, all that.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

have you tried carving up your partitions beforehand so you don't have to gently caress around with anaconda's utilities?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vs.net's lovely installer/updater

Visual Studio: Hi! Everything in me is working flawlessly and in a wonderfully logical manner! I am doing a great job of making your life easier and more pleasant, giving you more time to talk to girls!

Linux User: UGH! Why can't I "hack" the source and fill the ui with manga jpgs???

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

have you tried carving up your partitions beforehand so you don't have to gently caress around with anaconda's utilities?

Ubunut installed just fine in those partitions. Good enough for ubunut, they should be good enough for fedora since its supposedly so much better.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The livecd failed so badly I had to keep opening terminals and browsers so I could make fun of it. Try to auto partition? Crash. Manual partition? error message (ubuntu had no problem installing past the 2tb mark. I don't even know why its an issue because gently caress googling this poo poo). Shrink ntfs partition to ~1.5tb to make a small boot partition? Oh, parted 3 took out resize? no problem, I'll just google to see if there is another way. Hmm the browser can't load web pages is my resolver working? Yup.....

Great first impression.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I installed fedora 21 and it was easy zip zop. only complaint is it uses lvm by default

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol what do you have against lvm

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nothing, I just don't need it when I have an entire physical hard drive for lanux

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Silver Alicorn posted:

nothing, I just don't need it when I have an entire physical hard drive for lanux

what if you need more space for your.... linux.... stuff...

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I mean, what if /usr/bin grows to be over three TB?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what if you want to raid 1 your desktop linux vg

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Pike posted:

Visual Studio: Hi! My C/C++ support is so bad that it took me 10 years to add a simple header like stdint.h and I still don't support C++11 features like constexpr that clang and gcc have had for years.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Fedora's installer is really bad because the Anaconda team doesn't have any idea what they're doing.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Just did 'aptitude install mysql-server' on Debian testing and now I have mysqld and mysqld_safe (???) running. It didn't ask whether I wanted to fart it up immediately, nor did it even tell me.

Fedora wins again (seriously how do you get this poo poo wrong?)

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

Just did 'aptitude install mysql-server' on Debian testing and now I have mysqld and mysqld_safe (???) running. It didn't ask whether I wanted to fart it up immediately, nor did it even tell me.

This is the desktop thread. No one gives a poo poo about your server poo poo neck beardo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anything that pulls in mysql on a desktop as a dependency is going to expect it to be running.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anything that pulls in mysql on a desktop is poo poo for idiots

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

anything that pulls in mysql on a desktop is poo poo for idiots

linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

lol aptitude

apt-get is the way to mastery

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

SYSV Fanfic posted:

This is the desktop thread. No one gives a poo poo about your server poo poo neck beardo.

I was originally annoyed at Bitlbee for this I think, which is a desktop IM client for desktop neckbeards.

For the past few days I have been janitoring a server that runs Kubuntu. Is that appropriate for a desktop thread?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

you didn't need snapshotting, encryption, redundancy, backups, or migration?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol aptitude

aptitude has the only good non-cli package manager interface though, it's kinda useful sometimes for intensive janitoring

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Athas posted:

I was originally annoyed at Bitlbee for this I think, which is a desktop IM client for desktop neckbeards.

For the past few days I have been janitoring a server that runs Kubuntu. Is that appropriate for a desktop thread?

I don't care what you post here. I'm not the post police. Just don't speak ill of my prescious ubunut.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
does u untu still try to sell u things on Amazon

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ZShakespeare posted:

does u untu still try to sell u things on Amazon

No, they sell your search history to amazon, get it right.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

ughh I put fedora on my laptop and i installed eclipse via the fedora software center so i can crank out some shitClass.java and it's basically entirely hosed and won't actually work with the java pulgins so there's no class wizards, no way to add packages to project etc and they are basically all http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse#Troubleshooting_Eclipse_in_Fedora and it's just like "yeah shits hosed file a bug dude this is a special snowflake plugin installation for fedora and it'll break" and I don't really expect any possers to fix it I just wanna complain

I am p sure I should just to a yum uninstall eclipse-platform and then install from yum rather than "software center" but I am on my desktop now so ima just put that off so it can gently caress me over some day

are repos in the "fedora software center" any different from the regular fedora repos? does the software center install any differently than yum does?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you didn't need snapshotting, encryption, redundancy, backups, or migration?

for a throwaway OS that I'll probably forget about in a week, no

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Silver Alicorn posted:

for a throwaway OS that I'll probably forget about in a week, no

lvm seems sorta easy to just check off in a having it to have it sense what's bad about enabling it?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well if I want to, say, overwrite it with a different distro the next day i have to maybe delete the volumes outside the partitioning tool

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

i thought that was the advantage of lvm, not dealing with volumes at a partition level. but I have never really done anything with a lvm volume other than just formatting whole drives from a live session so maybe it's more complicated than that? if you were running say, windows and keeping your linux stuff on its own drive wouldn't window's disk utility just plain not care about the lvm and treat it as a partition anyhow?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Marzzle posted:

lvm seems sorta easy to just check off in a having it to have it sense what's bad about enabling it?

nothing

you should always use lvm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Marzzle posted:

i thought that was the advantage of lvm, not dealing with volumes at a partition level. but I have never really done anything with a lvm volume other than just formatting whole drives from a live session so maybe it's more complicated than that? if you were running say, windows and keeping your linux stuff on its own drive wouldn't window's disk utility just plain not care about the lvm and treat it as a partition anyhow?

lvm is made up of physical volumes, aka dos partitions

so for your linux install on a boring x86 pc you have 1x dos partition for /boot (the bootloader, kernel, and associated files) and 1x dos partition for LVM (the "physical volume)

if you're freaky modern you have gpt and efi. but it's pretty much the same. 1x gpt partition for /boot/efi (efi poo poo), 1x gpt partition for /boot (grub and kernel poo poo), 1x gpt partition for LVM. it's just a gpt disklabel instead of a dos disklabel

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
2nding the LVM love here. Lightyears better than msdos partitions and better than gpt if you don't mind the abstraction.

Absolutely essential if you're using raid or encryption (except for removable storage). Why bother putting a single filesystem on a raid 1 or encrypted storage when you can divy it up?

Having said that, if I had a friend ask me about trying out linux for any reason, I'd advise them to opt out of LVM if possible and just enable it later. Just create a 1 GB boot, 4 GB swap and the rest for root. Besides, last I checked (2012?) lubuntu (or was that xubuntu?) doesn't support it in install anyway.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I tried to use a combination of LVM over RAID 1 on a fresh CentOS 7 install and I remember having to create the raid device outside of the partitioning program. It was very sad.

Whoever is changing the install process for RHEL 7 should stop writing code and actually try to use it.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
filesystem chat

Who is using XFS on all of their new installs? Is it ready for the desktop?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

filesystem chat

Who is using XFS on all of their new installs? Is it ready for the desktop?

I've been using xfs for ten years. It's fine

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol aptitude

a terrible boss I once had told me to use aptitude instead of apt-get because "apt-get doesn't believe in GNU"

I refuse to check around to see what the gently caress he was talking about

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

SYSV Fanfic posted:

kubunut has been working janitor free for over two months. Ubunut 12.04 is still working for my parents, janitor free for almost three years now. I looked at arch and saw it was sooooo bleeding edge they can't make an easy to use installer for it.

You guys talked me into trying fedora and it couldn't even configure a viable way to install itself on my hard drive.

slam ubunut as much as you want, but ubunut really does work for me.

ubuntu seems to have a lot more driver support from vendors and I kind of feel bad about it

because I can't figure out some stuff they do there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Symbolic Butt posted:

a terrible boss I once had told me to use aptitude instead of apt-get because "apt-get doesn't believe in GNU"

I refuse to check around to see what the gently caress he was talking about
probably just "against gnu" in the same sense that ubuntu allows EVIL PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE to get onto your computer by having a checkbox to install mp3 codecs