Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

chiefnewo posted:

I've recommended this guy's LP of Cataclysm before, and now he is doing one of the recent version: Aavak

These are videos and not text, obviously, but it's still a pretty good watch. Aavak is very laid back and takes his time showing off the systems of the game, rather than your typical Youtube facecam crap.

I'd like to see it as well, I know I've recommended a video LP but there is a lot of repetitive stuff that can be edited out in a text LP that is still present in the videos I linked.

I'll check the guy out but yeah, video roguelike LPs can be pretty tough to watch, even ones that are interesting and have good production value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
welp i survived 32 days and i died because i fell into a sinkhole wearing mostly nomex kevlar and leather so i couldnt make a 30 ft long rope to get out of there.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Welp. I went into town at night thinking it would be pretty safe, and the first building I go into has a loving zombie hulk camping the door. Is there anything I can do to survive this?

My current inventory.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
get punched so you fly through the window and run for your life?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Maybe take a step backwards and set fire to the door? you're pretty screwed though for sure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Running I would think should work, I don't know if hulks are actually faster than you as I usually play with slow zombies because killing them all is a bit tedious.

If you can get enough space you could try smoking too, I think it's a stimulant which will give you a slight speed boost.

Having some energy drink or meth on you is useful for those kinds of situations.

Edit: Wait no you already got the poo poo beat out of you, you're hosed. Drink your disinfectant, end it faster.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hulks are fast as poo poo. Pretty sure fast enough that even with Quick you can't get away from them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm really glad that this game still seems to be improving. Makes me feel like I didn't waste my time making it happen, since I often have mixed feelings over being responsible for it existing.

And stuff is still happening without me there! :feelsgood:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I moved one to the southwest. Since I'm in extreme pain, he got three moves to my one. He punched me twice in the head, both of which my greathelm blocked, and once in the torso, but I somehow survived that hit. I guess I could try setting fire to the building and hoping to at least take him down with me, but I don't think I can set fire to a building with just a lighter while it's raining.

EDIT: I died. I managed to get two more moves and set fire to the remains of the door that the hulk smashed down, but the building didn't catch since it was raining. Oh well. Time to roll a new character!

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2015

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Cataclysm sure is a thing that exists.

Although there's constant activity on Github and the forums, the vast majority of it is simply treading water and a lot of dross. All of the contributors with potential to really move things forward have been edged out of the community leaving a small insular group with no outside voices leading to stagnation.
Out of the ones that remain they lack the talent/time to move things forward in a major way leaving large features and overhauls no closer a whole year down the line. Cataclysm DDA hasn't collapsed or slowed, but it has barely moved.

It's a fun game that could take another 5 years to reach a fleshed out state. :sigh: Also there's a lot of creepy poo poo on their forums.

Crashed my sports car into a gun store, so what. :colbert:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i heard the next version was pretty close with stuff like slings for longarms and every one of your backpacks having their own inventory? or is that just bs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kevin still has a really weird idea about what is and isn't easy to make, and bases all his decisions about what goes in the game on whether he thinks "yeah I could probably do that" which says quite a lot about what he thinks is difficult work.

I'm still rather hoping he buggers off and someone with a degree of design skill takes over. Game's gonna keep spinning its wheels if he keeps blocking everything that doesn't fit into his weird vision of realism.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

Welp. I went into town at night thinking it would be pretty safe, and the first building I go into has a loving zombie hulk camping the door. Is there anything I can do to survive this?

My current inventory.

should of just cuttem up.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

New release 0.C is out: http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

There are a bunch of changes, (full changelog: DDA 0.C Release thread) here a couple that stuck out to me:

DDA Forums posted:

Infighting! Monsters now have factions assigned and will attack other monsters from opposing factions.
Change car batteries without any tools, truck batteries with just a wrench, or install swappable storage battery cases and add/remove storage batteries to your heart's content. Electric cars come with cases for their storage batteries by default now.
The patented DeathCam™! You can now watch what happens after your epic death: is anything left of you after that massive fire burns itself out?
Rifle straps! Mount one on your gun and just wear it when you're not using it.
Butchering can now be used to cut up items, too. Also, you can now salvage _all_ the things (in a tile) in one keypress.
Item descriptions now tell you what you know you can craft with them. No more wondering what those stupid copper tubes are good for.
You can now choose to ensure that items you pick up never get wielded, keeping your hands free -- useful when you want to be using a martial arts style that's primarily unarmed.
Some monsters have a small amount of nightvision, Now you will learn why you fear the night.

There are a bunch of other changes and extra content (recipes and such) in the full changelog. Nothing revolutionary but some interesting things there.

Now to start a new Really Bad Day character and blast through town desperately searching for a first aid kit or a knife and a lighter.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Let the good times roll.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
thats the cataclysm i remember

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's the best cataclysm. Fire up your vibrator, eat a fur suit, and finger (laser) your enemies!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
This is a bit of a bump now, but does anyone know how you actually tan leather/fur? I've got a cured hide and tanbark in my inventory, but neither of them are activateable, and I can't find anything in the crafting menu about tanned leather, so.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You have to learn the recipe first. Hunt in the bushes a bunch of times or mass produce digging sticks for a bit and grind up that survival skill, maybe find a book that has the details.

It goes, raw hide -> cured hide -> tanning leather hide, which will need a day or so to dry, which can then be activated and cut up or used in a recipe.

I'd say it's generally more efficient to cut up boots and leather clothing or smashing up car seats.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

nftyw posted:

You have to learn the recipe first. Hunt in the bushes a bunch of times or mass produce digging sticks for a bit and grind up that survival skill, maybe find a book that has the details.

It goes, raw hide -> cured hide -> tanning leather hide, which will need a day or so to dry, which can then be activated and cut up or used in a recipe.

I'd say it's generally more efficient to cut up boots and leather clothing or smashing up car seats.
Really? I've got survival 4, and the difficulty to cure is only 1...that seems like it'd be quite a jump, unless it's book-only.

edit: Wait, maybe I actually need more cooking. Curing also takes cooking 1, and I only have 1 in it myself.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Just got back to playing this since last year, did they remove the light strip? Because I don't see it at all in the crafting menus but I have electronics 4. Having to reload battier into the flashlight to keep reading at night is annoying.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
No, it's still in there. Could be one of those recipes that you need to learn from a book, either that or you missed it somewhere. It's a 0 skill item.

If you have a welder/gas torch I'd just say grab a few mechanics books, pull a full storage battery off an idling car or solar car and weld it to a motorcycle that has functioning controls and a headlight. Or use a bank/church/radio station as your base and use the functioning terminal as a lightsource, just drag a sofa in or build some bedding and you're good.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
the last time i played this i wound up wandering around the countryside in platemail hacking apart hulks with my katana and slowly modifying a quad bike into some kind of tank with recharge racks and smithing stations hanging off the side, so it can only have gotten better from there.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

I'm happy to say I'm doing a lot better on this new character after getting hulked to death on the previous one. I'm just not sure where to go from here. I've explored all of the easily-reachable areas currently available to me; everything else is either directly blocked off by something nasty like a roadblock with turrets, or it's near something I haven't dealt with yet but I'm pretty sure is dangerous.

My current options are basically:

• Continue clearing through a large town. I've been hesitating to do this because all the areas I haven't wiped clean have a shocker brute in them, and I have no idea how strong they are.
  • Drive through a road that's 2 map tiles away from a fungal tower. I'm afraid of this because I've lost a character to spores previously, although this time I do have a gas mask and antifungal drugs.
  • Drive around a crater situated smack dab in the middle of the road. The only other time I got anywhere near a crater, I saw all kinds of nasties like flaming eyes. I'm pretty sure that character got infected by some weird nether disease and died to it.
  • Check out the two science labs I've discovered.
  • Abandon my super sweet armored RV and walk through the forest until I find something interesting.
  • Try and deal with the aforementioned turreted roadblock.

I'm currently leaning towards the science lab choice, since I've been to those before and know at least a little bit of what I'll be getting into.

These two images are what my explored map looks like right now, for anyone that cares.
http://puu.sh/gJdT4.png
http://puu.sh/gJdUu.png

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

As much as I hate fungus, one of my biggest annoyances with the game are parasitic diseases. Yeah, its fair enough that you'll catch something from eating raw meat in desperation on a rainy night, but it disproportionately affects new characters without much gear or ability to actually do anything about it. I actually had to look through the source code to figure out what the strange occasional messages were, and why they were linked to a crippling increase in food consumption and susceptibility to the flu.

But you know, if you install a blood filter you can keep shovelling bloody meat from any source straight down your burly mountain man throat. I've got to wonder what purpose it serves other than being as user-unfriendly as possible.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Anticheese posted:

I've got to wonder what purpose it serves other than being as user-unfriendly as possible.

I believe you mean "verisimilitudinous." :pseudo:

I'm not arguing with you, that's just the immediately obvious joke.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it is also what people seriously believe

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't think the blood filter works on intermuscular parasites.

Antifungal is pretty easy to make, though. I think it's a little obtuse, but it's not nethack levels of obtuse. It wouldn't be a bad idea if all the diseases that you could get had a few extra lines after a while making the treatment more obvious.

"The wound leaks and oozes. You'd better find something to fight the infection. Fast."

"Your muscles ache, and you swear you can feel something moving in your joints. Maybe a vets office has some anti-parasitics."

"You cough and wheeze. Is it feed a cold or starve it?"

Any roguelike is going to have issues with some things being behind spoilers. There's just decades of inertia behind it.

Maybe a self diagnose command, or something? Spend 5 minutes or so checking yourself over, and at least getting some general idea of what you need to fix yourself up?

Anyways, in the future, the wiki does have a pretty good set of pages on diseases:
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Disease

Save yourself the code diving.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They can be pretty open to pull requests and you could make a quick mod using .json for it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I know on my character the detector CBM thing found the parasite easily enough, then it was just a matter of hitting the chemistry books and putting together the drug. Though it Would be hard to get rid of if you havent gotten yourself set up yet, yeah.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
The parasites aren't too bad, they're mostly manageable until you can find something to treat them.

If you don't know what's going on or how to deal with it you're basically stuck with them until you die or stumble upon the solution. The whole disease/illness system is a little shallow and obtuse atm so hopefully it'll get expanded, eventually.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Strumpie posted:

If you don't know what's going on or how to deal with it you're basically stuck with them until you die or stumble upon the solution.

Hence the complaint. I don't remember "starving it out" being a solution though. Does it actually work that way?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Up until these latest builds I was munching on soon-to-go-bad chunks of raw meat and haven't noticed any infections from it, but then again maybe they just made the symptoms easier to notice. I know in an earlier version I had no idea why I was so hungry so just rounded up a drug cocktail and hey, look something happened, I need to cook up and keep around more of these drugs.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

There's like a variety of chances between 1/64 and 1/256 for contracting a parasitic disease whenever snacking on raw meat or bones.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they should make it so that melee weapons have chance to break because once you have like 3 in cutting weapons you can wield your katana like a hatchet without it breaking.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been watching the Aavak vids. He's really good at both playing and presenting the game. I've learned more watching the last few days than I have over the last few years just screwing around with the game.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you go to a shopping mall and go around slicing up zombies there for awhile you will find your weapon degrading as you chop through the waves. It's not really a problem though since with mechanics you can just take a common as poo poo soldering iron and some scrap metal and bend it back into place. It's not like resources are scarce either, you can make a decent array of melee stuff once you get yourself settled in.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
YASD: gently caress NPCs with flamethrowers. :negative: Still they're just too fun to turn off, especially with the new stuff like the refugee camp with actual guards/traders/quest dispensers.

Thought the new locked gun shops were another annoying fun police change, but being able to 1.) spawn inside of them to start and 2.) the ridiculously simple improvised lockpicks has totally changed my opinion.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 23, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Real men rob gunstores by doing sicknasty drifts into the front of the store in a cube van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

nftyw posted:

If you go to a shopping mall and go around slicing up zombies there for awhile you will find your weapon degrading as you chop through the waves. It's not really a problem though since with mechanics you can just take a common as poo poo soldering iron and some scrap metal and bend it back into place. It's not like resources are scarce either, you can make a decent array of melee stuff once you get yourself settled in.

exept if you have cutting weapon 3 or higher that doesnt actually happen