Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Sitting at a kitschy little bar in Florida on St. Patty's day, overheard this gem from the woman next to me:

:downs: :"I'll have the (something or other) burger, but no bun please, I'm allergic to gluten."
Server: "OK ma'am, not a problem, and for your side?"
:downs: :"The parmesan truffle fries please?"
Server: "Ma'am, those do contain gluten, might I suggest our-"
:downs: :"Oh, it's actually just a gluten sensitivity , I'm sure they'll be fine!"
Server: :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would french fries have gluten?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you have an actual allergy to gluten / Celiac disease, you can't have fries fried in the same deep fryer as gluten-containing things. Maybe that?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They're probably frozen, and the type where there is a "crispy coating" on the outside containing the flavoring. That coating is probably flour based.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well you see, when a french fry and onion ring love eachother very much...

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

I think EAT THE EGGS RICOLA is right. From http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/f/Gluten-Free-Potatoes.htm

quote:

French fries you make at home from potato slices should be gluten-free. In addition, many brands of prepared French fries are considered gluten-free.

However, you're likely to run into problems when ordering French fries in a restaurant or a fast food outlet. The problem there isn't the fries themselves; it's the oil they're cooked in, since restaurants typically share oil between fries and wheat-coated foods such as onion rings and chicken fingers. Yes, that oil can gluten you, so avoid fries cooked in shared friers. You'll also need to steer clear of French fries with a crispy batter coating — that batter typically is made of wheat.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Ricola is right, the server had mentioned the oil as the culprit.

I asked her afterwords how often that happens, and she rolled her eyes and said at least 4-5 times a day anymore. I also got a free drink for suggesting 'gluten sensitivity' is shorthand for "i'm an idiot, and probably don't tip well".

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How sensitive to gluten are people with medical conditions? Can the small amount from the oil hurt people with those diseases? Like how sensitive can they be on a scale of peanut allergy go-to-the-hospital bad to somewhat lactose intolerant just-be-uncomfortable bad?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Eeyo posted:

How sensitive to gluten are people with medical conditions? Can the small amount from the oil hurt people with those diseases? Like how sensitive can they be on a scale of peanut allergy go-to-the-hospital bad to somewhat lactose intolerant just-be-uncomfortable bad?

For Celiac, I think the consequences that get mentioned the most are that it stops you from being able to absorb nutrients properly so you can get malnutrished, it damages your intestinal tract, and you get butt cancer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a celiac friend, it seems that ingesting any amount results in diarrhea, but it's not one of those go-to-the-hospital-immediately type of reactions peanut people get.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know someone who swells up to look like she's 9 months pregnant if she has any amount of gluten.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Celiac disease is loving awful on every level.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I know someone who swells up to look like she's 9 months pregnant if she has any amount of gluten.

My wife bloats if she has gluten. I'm pretty sceptical of crap like that but her tummy don't lie. If she has a lot she also gets the runs.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I have a celiac friend, it seems that ingesting any amount results in diarrhea, but it's not one of those go-to-the-hospital-immediately type of reactions peanut people get.

No hospital, but usually diarrhea, pain, swelling. For celiac's, gluten triggers an auto immune reaction where your body attacks your villi, basically ripping them apart. It's not actually the gluten damaging the guts. They've actually learned there are several different genes responsible for celiac, and that different combinations can cause different severity of reactions. So for some people, the trace amounts in the oil would gently caress them up.

Then we have gluten allergy, an IgE reaction resulting in a histamine reaction, such as hives, swollen tongue, itching and diarrhea.

Then we have an IgG reaction which is called a sensitivity, but can often times be more unpleasant than an IgE, however the body takes longer to react to it in this case. This is what people tout all the time, but you actually need blood work done to confirm this.

Then we have trendy fucks not eating gluten because they read an article from some obscure source that touts the benefits of not eating gluten. Instead of eating better all around, they make everyone's life difficult. It's really no fun having a food allergy, and it makes dinning out really difficult and not worth it very often.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Echeveria posted:

Then we have trendy fucks not eating gluten because they read an article from some obscure source that touts the benefits of not eating gluten. Instead of eating better all around, they make everyone's life difficult. It's really no fun having a food allergy, and it makes dinning out really difficult and not worth it very often.

The trendy fucks do make eating at restaurants as a person with celiac disease infinitely easier, though!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The trendy fucks do make eating at restaurants as a person with celiac disease infinitely easier, though!

Hipsters have turned food-stores into gluten and lactose free paradises.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I was reading this article with the guy who played Eli Roosevelt on Sons of Anarchy because he's an awesome character and he's talking about his weight loss and had this to say:

quote:

One day my wife looks at me and said ‘every time you eat something your stomach blows up, even the smallest portion of anything. I think you may have a gluten problem.’ I got off gluten for a week and lost seven pounds.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhh no you did not lose seven pounds in a week and the reason you're feeling better is because you're not filling your body with poo poo garbage foods. It's the McDonalds you were stuffing in your face, not the gluten oewkn;'OREKN;OAKNG;A

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

The Midniter posted:

I was reading this article with the guy who played Eli Roosevelt on Sons of Anarchy because he's an awesome character and he's talking about his weight loss and had this to say:

Ugggghhhhhhhhhh no you did not lose seven pounds in a week and the reason you're feeling better is because you're not filling your body with poo poo garbage foods. It's the McDonalds you were stuffing in your face, not the gluten oewkn;'OREKN;OAKNG;A

My boss went 'gluten free' as a dietary choice - except he still drinks beer. His rule is that he doesn't eat gluten, but he'll drink it.

Hey, it worked for him - cutting out the ever-present office snacks (bagels, cookies, donuts, baked thing someone brought in) and avoiding pizza, burgers, etc. He dropped some weight and looks great and feels a lot better.

But, he also doesn't claim an allergy and will just order a salad if that's what there is, so at least he's not a dick about it. I do kinda wonder why he didn't just go on a diet rather than deciding to cut every bit of wheat out of his life though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

EVG posted:

I do kinda wonder why he didn't just go on a diet rather than deciding to cut every bit of wheat out of his life though.

Because going on a "diet" is something that women do.

or

If I have something wrong with me, like an intolerance, then it's not my fault that I ruined my life with poor eating habits. Now I can be healthy(er) and it's not my fault. Win-win.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Eeyo posted:

I knew a girl who couldn't eat wheat derived stabilizers without her guts getting all hosed up, so it can be pretty god drat bad.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
So I saw the light about house made ranch with scallions in it, also my lunch choices at SDF were chilis and Pizza Hut, the latter of which made me a toasted hoagie with the creamy Italian on the side and was almost not she food eaten on a flight delay.

I'ma get fat.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bloody ghost titty posted:

was almost not she food eaten on a flight delay.

Did you just have a stroke or am I?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Croatoan posted:

Did you just have a stroke or am I?

"Almost not poo poo", forgive the autocorrect and my other, numerous, sins.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've got some sweet yams and rutabaga going in the crock pot that I can't wait to mash up with some smoked paprika, garlic, and crispy bacon when I get home from work!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

exquisite tea posted:

I've got some sweet yams and rutabaga going in the crock pot that I can't wait to mash up with some smoked paprika, garlic, and crispy bacon when I get home from work!

That sounds really good right now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That sounds delicious but I'm not sure how much it really needs slow cooking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Slow cookers are nice to get everything cooked while you're away at work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A slow cooker is clutch when you get home from work and just wanna mash some poo poo together for instant dinner. Also rutabaga needs some time to soften up and get that nice smoky flavor you want out of it.

I only had time for one picture before I ate two whole bowls of this stuff:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Apart from, I assume, being more energy efficient is there anything a slow cooker can do that can't be accomplished as well with a Römertopf in an oven on low heat? They have recently started selling slow cookers here in Sweden, so I'm kind of curious.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

DekeThornton posted:

Apart from, I assume, being more energy efficient is there anything a slow cooker can do that can't be accomplished as well with a Römertopf in an oven on low heat? They have recently started selling slow cookers here in Sweden, so I'm kind of curious.

I don't think so. I think it's mostly the convenience thing. You plug it in before you go to work and then when you come home, viola.

Being in Sweden though, the "going to work" concern probably isn't big on your radar though. :colbert:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

RedTonic posted:

I decided the only reasonable way to handle making the Nola Cuisine guy's daube creole is to do everything in stages. Last night, I roasted the poo poo out of bones, bones, and more bones, plus veggies in some rendered beef marrow fat for good measure. Brown stock is now simmering for the next eternity. I haven't made a beef/veal bone stock in a while and forgot that I dislike the early smell of it. My sense of smell must be busted.

That's so weird to me. Whenever I make stock, i have to refrain from being like that guy in the old A1 commercials where he licks the hot grill after dripping sauce on it.

I use that site a lot and I've never seen daube creole... I need that in my life yesterday.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Eeyo posted:

My wife is really sensitive, but her mom is even worse.

The usual reaction is immediate painful diarrhea, not anaphylactic shock.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Eeyo posted:

A bunch of my family is celiac. My grandpa can eat gluten and won't notice anything until either he dies or gets his blood tested and they see how hosed everything is.

The rest get painfully sick from both ends and it's loving terrible.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That's so weird to me. Whenever I make stock, i have to refrain from being like that guy in the old A1 commercials where he licks the hot grill after dripping sauce on it.

I use that site a lot and I've never seen daube creole... I need that in my life yesterday.

It smelled way better to me once I had the onions and other aromatics in, that's for sure. Stock came out brown as hell. (I followed Danno's recipe, though my veal bones had meat, connective stuff, and CNS tissue for all I know.) Put it through a chinois and it looks lovely. Can't wait to jam it into every possible recipe.

Here's the daube creole though. Tonight I'm lacing the roast, tomorrow is showtime.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It was $75 or so with shipping. ⅜".

I'm sold, I want the big thick one that you got.The woman came up with one possible issue, though: how long does it take to heat up?

Also did you buy it from Amazon?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it from Amazon, at the link below. They recommend letting it heat up for at least 40 minutes (up to an hour) after your oven comes to temp. I don't think I let it heat for a full 40 minutes after it got to temp though. Maybe 30.

I cooked my pies on the second rack from the top, with the oven on 525 convection roast (so it use the top element).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBKWSGC/

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is there any particular reason I shouldn't make tonkotsu broth (I mean, really, that's gravy) and freeze it a weekend or two in advance of when I plan to use it? Or is it one of those things where the quality will really suffer if it's not same day?

Also I love the thermopen. :swoon: Thanks to whomever it was earlier who noted the open box sale.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

RedTonic posted:

Is there any particular reason I shouldn't make tonkotsu broth (I mean, really, that's gravy) and freeze it a weekend or two in advance of when I plan to use it? Or is it one of those things where the quality will really suffer if it's not same day?

Also I love the thermopen. :swoon: Thanks to whomever it was earlier who noted the open box sale.

I had good results freezing the broth from this recipe. http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Hakata_Ramen

I froze it in plastic yogurt containers (had been using them for stock for years...) and they slide right out after the edges melt a little.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The other week we talked about bacalhau nachos. So I did.

Tortilla chips with monterey jack, topped with sauteed zucchini, fresh cucumber, tomato, olives, and bacalhau sauteed in olive oil with garlic. Dressed with wine vinegar and served with a dollop of hummus on the side.

Execution was a hot mess, but the concept is sound. Will bacalhau nacho again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Today I would like to ask GWS to thank their gallbladders for their sterling service.

I haven't been able to eat any more than traces of fat in months and while I've lost 20 pounds that I wanted to lose, it's really loving tedious.