Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Summit posted:

The real answer is to stop caring about base defense. Make offensive upgrades a priority so you can raid more effectively. Save raids for when you need the resources so your stores are always too low for anyone to bother with. The best defense is having nothing to steal.

I build my new defenses and level them up during periods of relative inactivity. They're so inexpensive relative to my big upgrades I can do them quite easily from just collectors or clearing out NPC bases. While you can also totally ignore defenses, if you are doing a hybrid offense/defense, that third Boom Cannon and Shock Launcher are pretty drat sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

gromdul posted:

I build my new defenses and level them up during periods of relative inactivity. They're so inexpensive relative to my big upgrades I can do them quite easily from just collectors or clearing out NPC bases. While you can also totally ignore defenses, if you are doing a hybrid offense/defense, that third Boom Cannon and Shock Launcher are pretty drat sweet.

Yeah, I do the same. Offense is the priority but defense gets some love now and then. It's nice to collect some diamonds from being raided. But I don't care too much how often I'm attacked as long as I don't lose resources.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The only thing defenses really help with is getting gems from defenses. Even max levelled defenses for a HQ level can be defeated by a good Hooka, having stronger defenses just means you'll kill more of their troops than usual. Having a high levelled vault helps a lot too.

I'm HQ13, lvl 33 and I can smash lvl 40 bases. Having 70% extra GBE means I can kill all the boom and rocket turrets with arty/barrage and roll over the rest, regardless of tower levels, all they dictate is how many heavys will die before I win.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I need some suggestions for how to get more gold. I have a bunch of upgrades yet to do in the armory, but there's no way I'm going to build up 600k+ for each one in a decent amount of time before I get raided and lose it all. Thoughts?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
LOL, 600k...

Anyway, just focus on the ones you actually use. Like Hooka? Ignore riflemen and warriors. Ignore mines.

OP rewards are pretty generous for gold. Are you in a task force?

Upgrade your collecters and clear your map. Upgrade your Vault too.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

My vault and residences are maxed out, but I am in a goon task force so I guess I'll just have to build it all up and pray I don't get raided too much.

drat.

Edit - It's getting hard to clear my map since my troops aren't tough enough to handle the people I'm getting matched up with. That or I just suck balls at attacking, could be either.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
There's this wierd part of the game where you're HQ11-14 and its just hard as balls to save up because you get matched with bases only a few HQ higher that can cause serious problems for attacking at lower HQs. Best thing to do is let the map fill up and then try to clear everything as much as possible, then get whatever upgrades you can get squeezed in. Probably best to focus on getting all your LC to level 12 so you can run 8/12 heavy and 32/24 zooka, which if used right can tackle bases above your weight. Attacking effectively and exploiting flaws in bases is crucial and there's no real way to touch on it briefly, watch some youtube videos on hooka attacks to get a good idea of how to handle them, it's rather difficult to direct at first because it feels so messy. Troop bonus statues are your number one priority, then gunboat energy. Ignore everything else for now, except maybe power stone chance but only if it's a masterpiece and 50%+, or loot bonus masterpiece of 40% or more.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I think I broke down and spent twenty bux on gems to beat that hump.

Gold is pretty cheap to gem. Time is cheap too, but I rarely care about timers. Resources are crazy expensive, and for the short amount of time that they take, troops are expensive too. Sometimes I'll drop a quarter to fill a boat if I have boosted statues and I am trying for a big upgrade.

Each gem is about $.009, so I compare spending 27 gems to finish a LC reinforcement to dropping a quarter in an arcade. But $32 for a Armory upgrade is nuts.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
noobs

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Stop thread making GBS threads. Someone actually posted in this thread. Let's keep it up!

I am almost zeroed out on resources from my last radar upgrade. Its nice not getting raided 4 times a day, but I basically have to wait and cycle through some player bases so I can get some sweet ones lined up. Then I'll boost on a Dr. Cuckold day and clear my map and level up my Armory.

Maybe I need a higher trophy count? Half the bases I get have the same level of loot as NPC bases.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3707022

King of Thieves thread, complete with legit posticon.

I like it to kill time while I'm waiting for stuff to finish in Boom Beach because Boom Beach is still the best cellphone game ever.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Is there a benefit to upgrading the submarine? I'm at level 3 and the dive depths have not changed on the dive locations I am finding, 700 meters. The sub can do 800+.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Submarine dive locations get deeper.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
I noticed that the sub dive locations take a big leap around radar level 15. I was doing fine with 900 or 1k meters then the deepest became 1300.

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
Looks like they want to make it even harder to get a large amount of loot at once:
http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/597232-Event-Changes-Coming-Next-Update

They're going to make the twice weekly Dr Terror events in to a daily event of 7 levels and then add a new event for some days. Non-stop cucking with even less chance to get big chunks of loot, yay! And if you boost for terror, now you can boost everyday!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

That's actually going to make me play more; DT has generally been a lower source of loot than player bases for me. Plus dark crystal farming will be easier a bit, I'd imagine. Pluuuus we don't know what the special event is.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
tghis game sucks

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007
Goonfleet has 5 open slots if any wants to join the big boys task force and hear guh say weird poo poo and fantasize about dr terror.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Bellmeistr posted:

Goonfleet has 5 open slots if any wants to join the big boys task force and hear guh say weird poo poo and fantasize about dr terror.
Let me in you scrubs.:tipshat:

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Bellmeistr posted:

Sent a join request.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I keep getting the same base "Pole position" appearing on my map, is this normal? I must have had it 6+ times over the weekend?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Yeah it's normal.

Personally I hate Can Opener.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Bellmeistr posted:

Looks like they want to make it even harder to get a large amount of loot at once:
http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/597232-Event-Changes-Coming-Next-Update

They're going to make the twice weekly Dr Terror events in to a daily event of 7 levels and then add a new event for some days. Non-stop cucking with even less chance to get big chunks of loot, yay! And if you boost for terror, now you can boost everyday!

I guess this will mean you wont see every statue boosted armies on Wednes/Sat flattening your base.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

jm20 posted:

I guess this will mean you wont see every statue boosted armies on Wed/Sat flattening your base.

As someone with a hosed up schedule, I approve of this. Some weeks I miss Doc T entirely, yet suffer all the consequences of it. Saving gold for a big upgrade blows when two days a week I get raided 4 times a day.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dsoXNdR8w

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
That shock right at the end is the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that was that deployment.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

:lol: Thank you for posting. It'll have to do until supercell adds shareable replays ~*~ one day ~*~

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHXwWsGv-4

This guy attacked me with gmed, destroyed most of my base, and safely retreats after suffering zero casualties.

:iiam:

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 31, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
There's no way to change my LC order around ither than changing all my troops out, is there? Hvy/Zooka/Hvy is annoying me. Seems like kind of a big oversight if you can't just switch boats around :/

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

There's no way to change my LC order around ither than changing all my troops out, is there? Hvy/Zooka/Hvy is annoying me. Seems like kind of a big oversight if you can't just switch boats around :/

Just swap out the troops before you go to sleep. You get a full refund on your troops. Unless you're limited by your landing crafts levels, then just learn to upgrade better.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
are the goon TFs still open to new members

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Boat Pirates is wet, wild, and ready for new members.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

What do the purple circles mean? Also, I think there used to be gold circles, were they the same?

What do the different borders mean?

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

RVT posted:

What do the purple circles mean? Also, I think there used to be gold circles, were they the same?

What do the different borders mean?

The longer you stay in the number one spot, the fancier your border. Tap on the fancy border guy's level and it will tell you how long they've held the top position.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Patton's Heroes has 2 spots open. We like to play. *ting*

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Is there a good guide to learning how to read bases for weaknesses or how to attack gud because I seem to suck hard

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Check the official forums perhaps. What HQ are you and what troops do use?

In general, no matter what troops you prefer, focus solely on offense. Upgrade your LCs and Gunboat. Focus on purple and red statues exclusively, specifically the GBE (gun boat energy) statues. Also whichever troops you like, focus on leveling them exclusively in your Armory. Plus support like Flare and Barrage/Artillery.

A lot of goons like Tanks with Medics, or Tmed. Hooka is very popular, Heavies and Zookas. Before I got Tmed, I used mass rifleman exclusively and strong flanking tactics. I never got into warriors, but they are incredibly strong at single target DPS.

Each army has its own weaknesses and strategies. Splash damage will stop Riflemen. Boom Cannons will wreak Hooka and Tmed. And so on.

Its kind of like rock-paper-scissors. Some bases are great against warriors but weak against hooka or tmed. You can't build a base to stop everything. Therefore not every base will be weak to your preferred army comp.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Is there a good guide to learning how to read bases for weaknesses or how to attack gud because I seem to suck hard

If you can take some screenshots and post them, I'll give some feedback. Too lazy to find examples myself.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

So far I've been going back and forth between rifle and hooka depending on what I see, but I botch it alot and end up looking like a schmuck

mostly I think I need to be smarter about how I support with my gunboat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

mostly I think I need to be smarter about how I support with my gunboat

I'm gonna tell you something that might be totally obvious but a lot of new people miss: your basic artillery can hit multiple structures if there's no space between them. you can maximize your damage and refunded boat energy by keeping your eyes peeled for stuff that's stacked up

• Locked thread