Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Silver Snail posted:

Before I dedicate 10 gigs of space to sound effects, I'm interested in knowing: Is it very difficult to make your own simple sound effects? I've just begun getting into tutorials for GameMaker and other steps to start making my own games, and I keep seeing things about using assets like graphics or sounds developed by other people. I think I would prefer if everything in my projects was made by myself, but maybe that is impractical thinking.

It's not necessarily impractical thinking, but just know that the more time you invest into other disciplines is less time you can spend on actually making games. Audio is a deep, deep rabbit hole, and I'm speaking as someone who's spent said 5 figures on audio gear. If you just want chippy sound effects, Bfxr should be your first stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
...and at today's HDD prices, 10 gigs is NOTHING.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

wayfinder posted:

...and at today's HDD prices, 10 gigs is NOTHING.

Yes but it's still a pain in the rear end to ask someone to download 10 gigs. It'd be great if bandwidth and network speeds had uninhibited growth like hard drives.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I have an audio dude, and I'm still going to grab it - because half your sound effects really can just be generics. Save the budget/effort for the set piece audio, music, etc.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

Yes but it's still a pain in the rear end to ask someone to download 10 gigs. It'd be great if bandwidth and network speeds had uninhibited growth like hard drives.

There is a torrent available for it, if that changes anyone's mind.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shalinor posted:

I have an audio dude, and I'm still going to grab it - because half your sound effects really can just be generics. Save the budget/effort for the set piece audio, music, etc.

This. If you've got a really limited budget, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't bring on an audio person at all. Throw money at what needs it.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts Nathan picked it up too. Any audio person with a drop of sense grabbed this.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Even if you make 8-bit games, download the pack and find some software that lets you bitcrush... I do a lot of 8-bit sound effects using digital distortion in Reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsaLOwX3Y8&t=131s

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Most of the pack is ambience/background noise anyway, something that you can't really do with 8bit without it sounding awful.

Seriously get the pack though, its all stuff that doesn't "sound" royalty free unlike That_God_Damn_Eagle.wav or Wilhelm.wav

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 19, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

There is a torrent available for it, if that changes anyone's mind.

Don't mind me, I was just expressing my frustration in general with service providers and bandwidth. We're at that point where single player games are hitting 20-40gb and above plus a 10gb day 1 patch.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

This is loving great! I couldnt make decent sound effect to save my life.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

al-azad posted:

I don't know anything technical so I can't help you in that regard, but check out the design document for Overgrowth and any of the super detailed videos on youtube. Overgrowth is a fighting game with a focus on model accurate hit detection and animations. The result is a very fluid combat system that looks like a martial arts movie in execution as opposed to the more arcadey fighting in every other game. They get pretty detailed so maybe you can draw some inspiration from it.

I'ma save the victory dance for several weeks until I determine whether or not I have the tech skills to adapt a version of this, and whether this style of movement even feels right in the rest of my game, but at least provisionally you're a hero-his method answers a *lot* of questions I hadn't thought of to ask, and seemingly saves the trouble of constructing a massive blend tree.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

It really caught me by surprise just how big & complicated part of game design the sound effects are! This far I've always just used some random free & terrible sound libraries or SFXR, but for my most recent project I actually paid a proper sound person; the difference is (of course) ridiculously notable.

That said, it can be a ton of fun to hunt for royalty-free sound effects in places like https://www.freesound.org and then edit them on Audacity to fit your needs; even if the results are pretty crummy at first, the feeling of working on something "new" and experimenting with that is really amazing! (I also once tried to record sound effects with a Zoom H2N but that didn't end very well. Having more knowledge about that stuff would be really amazing!)

In other news (and I hope posting about our own projects is OK :shobon: ), my game Environmental Station Alpha got its official release date on Steam today! :toot: Going through the Greenlight process for the first time was scary, but I fear the scariest things are yet to come...

It's a pretty basic metroidvania deal, but after 3 years I'm really happy to have finished it!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

In other news (and I hope posting about our own projects is OK :shobon: ), my game Environmental Station Alpha got its official release date on Steam today! :toot: Going through the Greenlight process for the first time was scary, but I fear the scariest things are yet to come...

It's a pretty basic metroidvania deal, but after 3 years I'm really happy to have finished it!

Hey, neato! And congrats on getting the release date. Looks like a fun game from the trailer gameplay...but IMO you shouldn't be saying "Made with whatever" (who cares what system it's implemented in?) and you're probably better off not putting numbers on how many bosses, upgrades, environments, whatever are in the game. Just say "Lots of bosses! Cool powerups!" and leave it at that. Putting hard numbers on things gets people into the mindset of "is there enough game here to be worth $x?" and that's not what you want them to be thinking. You want them to be excited about the stuff you're showing off. Plus, saying "more than 10" tends to make me personally assume that there's 11 of the things. The numbers are small enough that there's no real point in rounding them off unless you're trying to obfuscate how many of them there are.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is 2DToolkit with Unity still popular? It had a ton of features Unity lacked even after 4.3, but I looked at its Trello and it seems like development has slowed down a lot.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for the link! This is really informative, but is this level of fidelity standard outside of fighting games?

In any action game (whether fighting, melee combat, or shooter), this kind of fidelity is the difference between feeling smooth and clunky. It's also why you don't see a lot of indie games focused on a core combat sandbox - it's incredibly difficult and time consuming.

Great combat is never an accident, and it is usually several orders of magnitude more complex than you'd expect.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The more I tool around and try things the more I agree with you, but I think it's also a heck of a lot of fun to tinker with.

This may be a stupid question, but for targeting I'm trying to make range a level playing field: every single character has the same cutoffs for long range (kicks/long extensions), short range (elbows, knees, headbutts), or out of range (you whiff and look like a moron). If I'm doing hit detection with model-accurate hitboxes and hurtboxes, though, everybody is going to have marginally different ranges based on limb proportion and height, which puts an artificial burden on the character designer to make everyone have the exact same specifications.

I know some games use ray traces from the striking surface to confirm the hit, but that seems extremely finicky and prone to lots of errors.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey, neato! And congrats on getting the release date. Looks like a fun game from the trailer gameplay...but IMO you shouldn't be saying "Made with whatever" (who cares what system it's implemented in?)
Unless you're making it in BASIC, then it's a huge selling point. :v:

and you're probably better off not putting numbers on how many bosses, upgrades, environments, whatever are in the game. Just say "Lots of bosses! Cool powerups!" and leave it at that. Putting hard numbers on things gets people into the mindset of "is there enough game here to be worth $x?" and that's not what you want them to be thinking. You want them to be excited about the stuff you're showing off. Plus, saying "more than 10" tends to make me personally assume that there's 11 of the things. The numbers are small enough that there's no real point in rounding them off unless you're trying to obfuscate how many of them there are.
Stuff like "Lots of bosses! Cool powerups!" is just as vague and meaningless (why would you have uncool powerups?). Focus on concrete things that make your game unique and fun.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Presentation given by Jane Ng at GDC about the firewatch art. She released a version of her presentation that doesn't require GDC vault. I think the game's visual style is really great, and though maybe the presentation would interest some people here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYnS3kKTcGg

I didn't realize they were using unity, and apparently just recently switched to Unity 5. I hope we continue to see more games with strong visual identities like this one in the future.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Unless you're making it in BASIC, then it's a huge selling point. :v:

Stuff like "Lots of bosses! Cool powerups!" is just as vague and meaningless (why would you have uncool powerups?). Focus on concrete things that make your game unique and fun.

Thanks for the feedback on the description! I've adjusted it a bit, although I must admit that I have some huge problems with marketing my games. Oh well.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Marketing games seems to be way harder than actually making them. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The one thing that wasn't clear to me about the game was whether the traversal systems (the jet pack, the grappling hook) are stuff built in, Zelda-style unlock and infinite use tools, or finite use pickups.

I also think the starting text could be a bit more evocative, e.g. If you showed instead of telled.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Marketing games seems to be way harder than actually making them. :(

It's a question of skillset. If you asked someone who's good at marketing to write a game, they'd probably be just as clueless as we are about marketing.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

It's a question of skillset. If you asked someone who's good at marketing to write a game, they'd probably be just as clueless as we are about marketing.
Kinda. Most people can learn to market reasonably if they can communicate reasonably. I was terrible at putting myself out there a few years ago, now I'm "ok" at it. It's just something that you suck at early on, and have to keep working at.

If you're terrible at communicating, though, it may be much harder. I was a writer before, even if I was super shy. Guessing the stereotypical "I can't even document code reliably" coder would struggle more.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Hempuli posted:

Looks good! Is there an inventory with droppable items and experience/level ups though? Cause in the promo video it seemed more like a straight up metroid type game where your guy advances only by getting a specific set of upgrades rather than a bazzilion items and stats to manage. It's hard to tell just from what was shown.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Mercury_Storm posted:

Looks good! Is there an inventory with droppable items and experience/level ups though? Cause in the promo video it seemed more like a straight up metroid type game where your guy advances only by getting a specific set of upgrades rather than a bazzilion items and stats to manage. It's hard to tell just from what was shown.

The game's a very straightforward metroidvania deal, so permanent powerups with the only "stat" to increase being your maximum health. At some point I dabbled with an Exile-style finite resource setting along with an item pickup system, but that ended up being really hard to balance in terms of having finite resources but allowing the player to mess up stuff to some extent.

quote:

I also think the starting text could be a bit more evocative, e.g. If you showed instead of telled.
I assume you're referring to the trailer video? Yeah, I made that with a mindset that I had made one long trailer some years before (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3N6Di5iigc) and kind of dumbly built the new one on top of the old one, thus making the new one much more of a teaser.

quote:

I find marketing really tough, because I feel that I'd rather tell people everything about the game, be it good or bad, and let the players decide themselves if they like it or not. I'm aware that this doesn't really work apart from some really specific/lucky games, but nevertheless having to shout a list of reasons why my game's the bee's knees is really alien to me, along with stuff like managing reviews and contacting people about the upcoming release. In ~my ideal world~ the game would do well enough just based on its own merits and word-of-mouth.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I've been playing too much monster hunter and it's spilling into other parts of my life

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So as I've learned in throwing together a game: RPG Maker feels... either depressing or just not good for anything new. I'm going with depressing.
That being said, here's what I tried to poo poo out in RPG Maker. It's crap I can honestly say. But if there ARE any goods within this, I'll keep that in mind.

EDIT: Not sure if it's gonna immediately download so lemme fiddle with the link real fast.

shs posted:

I've been playing too much monster hunter and it's spilling into other parts of my life

It's fine. We all need headless cocks in our lives.

widespread fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 21, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So okay, design patterns: I know that excessive dependency is bad, and in general you want to keep your code as decoupled as possible, but how do you organize different, unrelated systems that are co-dependent? Like, my character is ultimately three core systems: movement, combat, and statistics (health, MP, skills, etc). Combat needs information about the player's state from movement, since attack animations depend on orientation and disposition, and it needs movement to do something, as the player turns to face their opponent each time they strike. Both systems constantly need information from player statistics, as damage is partially based on one set of character stats, and movement is effected by another set. It seems like giving each class references to the two others and constantly checking numbers is bad design, but the only other alternative I can see is to encapsulate all three systems in a single class, which seems massively worse.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

So okay, design patterns: I know that excessive dependency is bad, and in general you want to keep your code as decoupled as possible, but how do you organize different, unrelated systems that are co-dependent? Like, my character is ultimately three core systems: movement, combat, and statistics (health, MP, skills, etc). Combat needs information about the player's state from movement, since attack animations depend on orientation and disposition, and it needs movement to do something, as the player turns to face their opponent each time they strike. Both systems constantly need information from player statistics, as damage is partially based on one set of character stats, and movement is effected by another set. It seems like giving each class references to the two others and constantly checking numbers is bad design, but the only other alternative I can see is to encapsulate all three systems in a single class, which seems massively worse.

It depends a lot on your requirements.

If you need a bajillion ops per second and you absolutely must have speed over anything else, you just make those systems directly coupled and as efficient as possible. this.Movement.MoveTo( Position ). The "hen" approach.

If you can sacrifice some performance for flexibility and encapsulation, you can relate the objects via events, rather than direct calls. i.e. this.FireEvent( "MoveTo", SomePosition ) and the caller doesn't give a gently caress who handles it. The "hog" approach

There's a lot of fancy or less fancy ways to do direct dependency or events, but they sort of boil down to various kinds of implementations with their own trade-offs of those two abstract ideas.

Practically you tend to do a little bit of each, because it's the rare game that's 0 or 1 on the henhog spectrum. I write really hoggy event-driven systems, usually, but tend to cache and expose directly the components like movement/rendering that need to be high performance, are subject to about 90% of the traffic in any system, and every object essentially always has anyway.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 21, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's really helpful, thank you for breaking that down! With hoggier approaches, where do you deal with traffic directing conflicting events? Is that something the method that listens for the event should handle? I'm thinking about cases like figuring out what Movement should do if the combat module calls RotateTo(270), then 15 ticks later (before the player is done rotating) something else, like an interactable the player just hit, calls RotateTo(30).

I think it's data that's really bugging me, as a lot of the events I can think of for my use case wouldn't be called more than 2-3 times/second. For movement, however, I'm trying to make movement speed partially a function of stamina, so the less stamina you have remaining, the slower you sprint. That's something that would need to be updated every time I calculate acceleration and top speed, and I really don't want to be making 30 gets/second for one little thing like that- would that be the sort of case where direct coupling would likely end up being more efficient?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

That's really helpful, thank you for breaking that down! With hoggier approaches, where do you deal with traffic directing conflicting events? Is that something the method that listens for the event should handle? I'm thinking about cases like figuring out what Movement should do if the combat module calls RotateTo(270), then 15 ticks later (before the player is done rotating) something else, like an interactable the player just hit, calls RotateTo(30).

I think it's data that's really bugging me, as a lot of the events I can think of for my use case wouldn't be called more than 2-3 times/second. For movement, however, I'm trying to make movement speed partially a function of stamina, so the less stamina you have remaining, the slower you sprint. That's something that would need to be updated every time I calculate acceleration and top speed, and I really don't want to be making 30 gets/second for one little thing like that- would that be the sort of case where direct coupling would likely end up being more efficient?

For Caves of Qud & Sproggiwood, Actors are just a bag of components. When a component is added to an object it registers with the Actor each event name it's interested in. Each event just takes an arbitrary dictionary of id:object pairs as parameters and assigns it to a function/delegate to handle. So the Actor ends up with a list of event ids that have been registered for, and for each of those event ids the components that are interested in that event. So it's more than efficient enough for my requirements. If the components really want to talk to each other directly, they can, by just going MyActor.GetComponent<Physics>() or whatever. Unity essentially follows this exact pattern for its GameObjects as well, so it's a pretty proven architecture. (Though I totally designed it from scratch like 10 years ago based on Bilas's dungeon siege presentations :colbert:)

As far as multiple components handling an event as it propagates, my systems have a few hooks to control it:

1. Newer iterations of the engine allow components to set their priority, so that you can control which components get first crack at a message.
2. Each event delegate returns a true or false. If a delegate returns false, event propagation stops and later components don't get the message.
3. For both older and newer systems, for complex chains like combat, I typically end up with a few events in order to give my components the ability to modify state before things happen. BeforeApplyDamage->ApplyDamage->AfterApplyDamage

(...and for components that are essentially universal and get heavy per-frame action like rendering, I tend to cache a component reference and expose its methods directly on the Actor itself)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 21, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's an incredibly neat implementation, and I highly suspect I'll end up trying to adapt it here... one of my first "big" projects in Unity was an absolute mess of GetComponents, I'm pretty sure at one point every single utility script was ultimately dependant on every other.

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate!! Determining priority and keeping dueling events/notifications from turning into a nightmare has been a big problem from me since day 1, this is really helpful. :)

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 21, 2015

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Wow, thanks for the immense amount of feedback! I've just had time to work on the animation a bit more, and before I do anything intensive like redraw most of it I tweaked a few frames, perhaps most notably the one that was pointed at specifically. This is basically a 25 minute tweak, but I personally think it looks much better:

(If it's still unclear, please don't hesitate to say so!)

Also, thanks again for all great feedback! I will keep it in mind when I animate the the remaining units. It's been a great learning experience. :)

Edit: Here's the previous one for comparison:

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Pigmassacre posted:

Wow, thanks for the immense amount of feedback! I've just had time to work on the animation a bit more, and before I do anything intensive like redraw most of it I tweaked a few frames, perhaps most notably the one that was pointed at specifically. This is basically a 25 minute tweak, but I personally think it looks much better:

Also, thanks again for all great feedback! I will keep it in mind when I animate the the remaining units. It's been a great learning experience. :)

Thats a lot better, but im not convinced about the outline.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

evilentity posted:

Thats a lot better, but im not convinced about the outline.

Fair point, I'm doubting the outline too. Playing around with some alternatives, never really considered not having a black outline but alternatives are looking kinda good..

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pigmassacre posted:

This is basically a 25 minute tweak, but I personally think it looks much better:

Yup a lot better, great job. :D

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pigmassacre posted:

Fair point, I'm doubting the outline too. Playing around with some alternatives, never really considered not having a black outline but alternatives are looking kinda good..

Do you have a lot of other assets / environments put together yet?

If you don't, I would toss together a lot more (quick) assets to get a sense of the full composition of a scene because that guy is only like 16x16 pxiels on it and you're going pretty deep without his context right now.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Sigma-X posted:

Do you have a lot of other assets / environments put together yet?

If you don't, I would toss together a lot more (quick) assets to get a sense of the full composition of a scene because that guy is only like 16x16 pxiels on it and you're going pretty deep without his context right now.

Well, this is pretty much were we're at right now:

It's for our bachelors thesis so we don't have a lot of time left until we gotta consider it somewhat "done".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pigmassacre posted:

The new one is MUCH more readable and definitely solves the original problem I was having trying to parse the leg movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pigmassacre posted:

Well, this is pretty much were we're at right now:

The only thing I'd do in such a limited time frame is hue shift his leafy shoulders to something perhaps a bit browner, because right now it blends in to the grass tiles.