Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How the gently caress do you have a 'falling out' with Hideo Kojima? You do whatever the gently caress that man says, because he will make you millions of dollars.

You tell him that he's not allowed to do anything but make Metal Gear games until the end of time, he says no, and you tell him to get the gently caress out.

Konami blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have an evening free and a fantastic set of headphones. I think it's time I stopped putting off a PT playthrough.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

SkeletonHero posted:

It's Guillermo Del Toro, who wrote and directed The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, and loads of other good horror poo poo, and Mimic. The only other Del Toro I know is Benicio, who is almost strictly an actor.

Unless there's some secret third famous Del Toro I don't know about who specializes in even surreal-er horror.

None of those are really horror movies other than Mimic I guess which was fine for a generic 90s thriller, but nothing special.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

poptart_fairy posted:

I have an evening free and a fantastic set of headphones. I think it's time I stopped putting off a PT playthrough.

You are required to post a trip report.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Give me a couple hours and I'll be home. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Make sure it's as dark and quiet as possible wherever you're playing.

Bonus points if your setup is somewhere in a big open room where you're more vulnerable...

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Azran posted:

Metro 2033/LL have the best sewer sections because like 90% of the games take place inside one giant sewer :v:

Russia?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Industrial posted:

None of those are really horror movies other than Mimic I guess which was fine for a generic 90s thriller, but nothing special.

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are definitely horror movies, they just aren't thrillers. Mimic is absolute garbage and doesn't even approach the lofty heights of "nothing special."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SkeletonHero posted:

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are definitely horror movies, they just aren't thrillers. Mimic is absolute garbage and doesn't even approach the lofty heights of "nothing special."
The recent released director's cut of Mimic salvages it quite a bit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yodzilla posted:

Bonus points if your setup is somewhere in a big open room where you're more vulnerable...

I know about The Woman so, frankly, your post just reaffirms my belief that is literally the only thing I need to prepare myself for in this spacious, one bedroom flat on the top floor with no neighbours on the outskirts of a country town. :colbert:

But yeah, kinda looking forward to it! It's one of the few horror games I'm unspoiled on and my sound system has finally caught up with the rest of my stuff in the living room. Will let you guys know as soon as I wimp out.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I once played Penumbra on a bigass 40" HDTV with huge old 70s speaker towers, all the lights off in the middle of the night at an overnight LAN party when we were taking a break from multiplayer poo poo. There were a half dozen people in the room watching and we all still got freaked out as poo poo. It owned so hard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

I don't know; Downpour wasn't that long ago.

Downpour was "Good" but definitely not "Great". It was certainly the best non-Team Silent effort but still suffered a lot from trying too hard to redo Silent Hill 2. The thing about the original Silent Hill games is that they tried to do something different with each one. The American ones all model themselves after SH2, which while it was the most successful one, that doesn't make it the only version of Silent Hill that matters.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's kinda weird to consider Del Toro a presence in the horror world since things like Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone were made quite some time ago; and in the interium....well he's been making garbage or slapping his name onto garbage in a producer setting (such as Mama or 'Are you afraid of the dark'). I don't know, it's just odd to me how much people read into things regarding Silent Hills. I mean people were making assumptions about Junji Ito having some hand in the game just because he had lunch with Kojima at some point. I guess I just never had any real faith in Kojima or Del Toro suddenly making an amazing Silent Hill game based on a great demo.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
If nothing else, hopefully Del Toro's visual sensibilities coming through in the new Silent Hill could be enough to make it feel new yet familiar. "Scary" is debatable, but even if Stanley Kubrick was helming the thing no one is ever fully satisfied with how "scary" most games are these days. Mood and a general atmosphere of dread tends to be the thing that sticks with ya anyway from those games, and dread is something I thought Pan's Labyrinth delivered excellently.

Speaking of horror games in general though, a few months ago I spent a weekend creating a little experimental horror game of my own, but haven't really touched it since then. With that said, hardly anyone has actually played it so if any of ya'll horror fans are interested and up for something a little weird, feel free to give it a try, and let me know what ya think! I hesitate to call it "finished" since there's only so much there, but hey, it's experimental and free so what's the harm?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1y4uhr0mddudk/A%20Wonderful%20Day%20for%20Fishing.zip?dl=0

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bert of the Forest posted:

If nothing else, hopefully Del Toro's visual sensibilities coming through in the new Silent Hill could be enough to make it feel new yet familiar. "Scary" is debatable, but even if Stanley Kubrick was helming the thing no one is ever fully satisfied with how "scary" most games are these days. Mood and a general atmosphere of dread tends to be the thing that sticks with ya anyway from those games, and dread is something I thought Pan's Labyrinth delivered excellently.

Speaking of horror games in general though, a few months ago I spent a weekend creating a little experimental horror game of my own, but haven't really touched it since then. With that said, hardly anyone has actually played it so if any of ya'll horror fans are interested and up for something a little weird, feel free to give it a try, and let me know what ya think! I hesitate to call it "finished" since there's only so much there, but hey, it's experimental and free so what's the harm?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1y4uhr0mddudk/A%20Wonderful%20Day%20for%20Fishing.zip?dl=0

If you don't mind my feedback, the pacing feels too slow, and the payback just didn't make it for me - also eating and releasing seem to be the same action effect-wise, and the only transformation seems to be the sea bass tar eyes thing, and I saw a big mouth flash for a second on my face... rather anti-climactic in that it was too much of the same for half an hour and then I felt like I wasted my time. Also, the tar eyes thing seems like a toggle - you eat/release two tar bass in a row and you go back to normal. Or eat/release anything else. It would be more unsettling if the transformations accumulated slowly and there was no way to get rid of them and the background started changing too - like a downward unstoppable spiral into madness. Also have the eat/release choice actually mean something.

Also there seems to be no way to exit the game from within the game, had to kill the task.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Look behind you.

I said, look behind you.

nope nope nope nope nope nope

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

If you don't mind my feedback, the pacing feels too slow, and the payback just didn't make it for me - also eating and releasing seem to be the same action effect-wise, and the only transformation seems to be the sea bass tar eyes thing, and I saw a big mouth flash for a second on my face... rather anti-climactic in that it was too much of the same for half an hour and then I felt like I wasted my time. Also, the tar eyes thing seems like a toggle - you eat/release two tar bass in a row and you go back to normal. Or eat/release anything else. It would be more unsettling if the transformations accumulated slowly and there was no way to get rid of them and the background started changing too - like a downward unstoppable spiral into madness. Also have the eat/release choice actually mean something.

Also there seems to be no way to exit the game from within the game, had to kill the task.

I appreciate the feedback! I do like your idea of having the effects accumulate rather than come and go. I'm also realizing that the buildup and pacing is being very negatively affected by some of the randomized elements I threw in there. The events don't play out the same every time, but I appreciate that when you play it the first time, it's entirely possible you just don't get the same kind of horror build up that others might. Making things run at a bit of a brisker pace may make the game not wear out its welcome for some people. And yes, the eat/release does indeed need a larger difference, there are a few occasions where it does matter, but its probably too far and few between. I do appreciate you giving it a go though, it's a strange idea but I'm glad you seem to at the very least get where I'm going with it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

poptart_fairy posted:

Look behind you.

I said, look behind you.

nope nope nope nope nope nope

Do it. Do iiiiiiiit.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I had the sudden desire to play Silent Hill 3 again. I've actually had 2,3 & 4 for the PC for the better part of a decade but never actually got around to installing them. Figured I'd see how it does on modern PCs.

I followed the instructions on this page for 1080p and 16:9 resolutions, forced V-Sync in Nvidia control panel (the screen tearing is attrocious) and finally installed the ENB mod which gives SH3 (and 2) pseudo-DX9 lighting effects.

Other than some of the background textures being really low res I think it looks pretty drat good for a 12 year old game.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 22, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I dunno if it was intended but after I ate a fleshcube my boat started sinking into the sea and eventually I disappeared from sight completely, but I kept getting eat/release prompts.

Echoing what the other guy said about it getting tedious quickly. I felt like some of the stuff there was pretty interesting but I really don't feel like sitting through a bunch of wind noises and stuff again to see what the opposite effect of eating/releasing it is. Plus not knowing what the triggers are for things getting scarier (I don't need to KNOW know, but some indication at all would be nice), like even the normal fish turning weird, makes it feel like my actions are inconsequential.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Silent Hill 3 always looked fantastic. I have no idea how they managed to get that kind of look with a PS2 game. Both it and Resident Evil REmake were just years ahead of their time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I remember Silent Hill 2-4 all being great looking on the PS2 but loving fantastic on the PC. Shame about those garbage HD remakes ugh.

Hey Konami maybe release those PC games you already have done on Steam for some free money.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah that looks really good. It probably helps a lot that SH 3 especially uses a really dark environment, that holds up better than something that takes place outside in daylight.

Were there ever any plans to do any sort of re-release of SH 2, 3 and 4? The PC versions are getting really hard to find, and with the success of REMake, someone has to realize there are some piles of cash in it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah that looks really good. It probably helps a lot that SH 3 especially uses a really dark environment, that holds up better than something that takes place outside in daylight.

Were there ever any plans to do any sort of re-release of SH 2, 3 and 4? The PC versions are getting really hard to find, and with the success of REMake, someone has to realize there are some piles of cash in it.

Arent the HD remakes for PS3/360 buggy as poo poo?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The HD remakes are terrible and the PC versions of the Silent Hill games are complete messes. Konami would have to do significant work make them even vaguely acceptable for a rerelease.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah the HD remakes were horrendous. The PS3 version got a significant patch that fixed many issues but still not as good. SH2 was horrible though there were entire areas with no fog, SH3 had untextured floors in areas. It was serious bullshit too because the screenshots on the back of the boxes showed those areas looking quite nice.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Improbable Lobster posted:

The HD remakes are terrible and the PC versions of the Silent Hill games are complete messes. Konami would have to do significant work make them even vaguely acceptable for a rerelease.
The 2, 3 and 4 PC versions have issues? I don't remember this, but then again, it's been a long time since I've installed mine. Still have the discs and boxes (well no box for 3, that one I just got the version that came in a DVD-type case).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The 2, 3 and 4 PC versions have issues? I don't remember this, but then again, it's been a long time since I've installed mine. Still have the discs and boxes (well no box for 3, that one I just got the version that came in a DVD-type case).

My limited understanding is that 2 and 4 have certain graphical features that somehow look worse than the PS2 versions but I was unaware of them being buggy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

2 and 4 have weird bugs on modern PCs including some key items just vanishing into a black hole in your inventory if you aren't careful. Silent Hill 3 still works out of the box just fine and you can push the rendering resolution up to almost 4K if I remember right, it was stupidly futureproof.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Silent Hill 3 is just a drat great game overall. Be sure to play with headphones cause the soundtrack is great in a "this is the most horrible thing ever and I desperately wish I was anywhere else" way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

2 and 4 have weird bugs on modern PCs including some key items just vanishing into a black hole in your inventory if you aren't careful. Silent Hill 3 still works out of the box just fine and you can push the rendering resolution up to almost 4K if I remember right, it was stupidly futureproof.
From having played through 2, 3, and 4 pretty extensively on PC, I never really ran into these issues. The worst thing I had on 2 was this weird problem with looping audio which was easily solved by limiting the game to a single core and the 4 just required running the game in Win XP compatibility. But it's a bit of a stretch to call them hot messes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Niggurath posted:

From having played through 2, 3, and 4 pretty extensively on PC, I never really ran into these issues. The worst thing I had on 2 was this weird problem with looping audio which was easily solved by limiting the game to a single core and the 4 just required running the game in Win XP compatibility. But it's a bit of a stretch to call them hot messes.

Well the resolution of 2 and 4 are limited without mods, though 3 works fine oddly. 2 is locked to 30 fps while 4 fluctuates between 30 and 15 fps for some reason. The fog effects of 2 also look a lot worse than the PS2 and Xbox versions although it still looks a drat sight better than the HD release.

They're perfectly functional ports but you will need to download some third party stuff to fix some of the issues of 2 and 4, including the audio bug you mentioned.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
One of the biggest things I remember from Silent Hill 3 was that I almost never engaged in combat, even less than in 2.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

SH3 bombards you with so many enemies that you're just gonna lose health trying to get rid of all of them. From what I remember, anyway.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

SH3 bombards you with so many enemies that you're just gonna lose health trying to get rid of all of them. From what I remember, anyway.

Funnily enough, the combat system was advanced to the point where you can totally melee them all to death with almost 0 risk, thanks to blocking. You can safely block so many attacks, including ones you would never think of, like Split Worm's bite (not the instakill one).

e: vvv Again, a good change. Didn't SH2 have like, 2-3 basic enemies that were all weak as hell? If you're going to have a horror game, the monsters should be plentiful and threatening.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 22, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Butt Ghost posted:

The environments are much more narrow and the enemies are beefier than in 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You don't fire Kojima, he quits. He quits because he's a visionary and doesn't want to be tied down to the same poo poo which I'm sure is what Konami wants him to do.

And while del Toro has a wide library, the man is a visual director. He keeps these intricate journals filled with creepy doodles. Regardless of the quality of the films he's directed or produced, they're all visually interesting. Silent Hill has looked super boring for a long time and he's the one to give its monster designs a shot in the arm.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I dunno if it was intended but after I ate a fleshcube my boat started sinking into the sea and eventually I disappeared from sight completely, but I kept getting eat/release prompts.

Echoing what the other guy said about it getting tedious quickly. I felt like some of the stuff there was pretty interesting but I really don't feel like sitting through a bunch of wind noises and stuff again to see what the opposite effect of eating/releasing it is. Plus not knowing what the triggers are for things getting scarier (I don't need to KNOW know, but some indication at all would be nice), like even the normal fish turning weird, makes it feel like my actions are inconsequential.

Thanks for the feedback yo! Indeed this is all good stuff to know. Like I said, the thing was never really truly field tested per se so it's good to know which elements people like/add to the atmosphere and which ones are just annoying/confusing etc. It's hard to capture the kind of lonely surreal experience of some of my early childhood nightmares accurately in game-form, so that's basically what I was trying for with some of this stuff.

Speaking of which, anyone here ever play The Dark Eye? That was something truly surreal and horrifying to me as a kid, and I can honestly say nothing has quite given me the jibblies as much as that game did since. Using the Uncanny valley to a game's benefit is something I think horror games too often overlook the value of.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That character in particular (the butler) really got to me because he's always watching you with his permanently shadowed eyes. There's a segment at the end where he just goes full menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Speaking of which, anyone here ever play The Dark Eye? That was something truly surreal and horrifying to me as a kid, and I can honestly say nothing has quite given me the jibblies as much as that game did since. Using the Uncanny valley to a game's benefit is something I think horror games too often overlook the value of.

The rendition of Berenice in The Dark Eye is incredible and amazingly effective. It definitely uses its visuals to its advantage. Really cool Cask of Amontillado as well, the voiceacting is just fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05EjOaha-xk