Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Thats the goddamn riff from Mortal Kombat but this sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

God damnit, we're all over 30 in this thread aren't we

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Nightcore looks like a no-effort version of happy hardcore. If you mix that with an 'industrial' influence you get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbZYNPYp6M8
yeah...

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

but this poo poo sucks. Like, I can't take this horror noise crap or whatever but those poppy borderline genre songs I linked are just a stone's throw away from the last MSI album which I decree is the last bastion of trying to sound like what's not already out there. lol anime image whatever, the actual AUDIO FILES have enough bite to piss you off that you want to hear them loop a few more times.

gently caress this fuzzy drum kick jeezchrist

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
No, it sounds like faster j-pop because of the high-pitched voices it causes. I think you need to have built up some immunity through years of Japan exposure to be able to stand that poo poo.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

somethingwicked posted:

If you're in the US and want to purchase it digitally you can do so directly from his store right now via PayPal: http://thyxmusic.com/store/en/mindinabox/108-mindinabox-memories-mp3.html

There's no geographic dickery stopping you (unless I broke the terms, but they were in German so :shrug:).

Yeah, getting a physical copy :(

Still pumped though

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You make super cool music when you make music, Quirk, and I wish you'd do that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

slight gay derail, I'm sorry

I've been listening to this "nightcore" bullshit ever since I discovered it and I have to say I'm in love with this no-effort product. It's simply take a song, then speed and pitch shift it up a few octaves. It gives old songs new life and I love it. The hook is when you take a song that works when you speed it up, you get this hyper video-gamey sound and I'm so bored with this genre this is the most interesting thing I've heard in a minute from it. Can someone please entertain me and post some songs that work in this fashion? Here's some expamples, feel free to knock this as I'm sure it's deserving of ridicule but godamnit I love this energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lQwPoGjEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySbymGt6KFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lCz6dprgB4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3qdmyfcSTY

This is insanely bad, why did you feel you needed to post this here or anywhere

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quirk posted:

you want to hear them loop a few more times.

wrong

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Quirk posted:

God damnit, we're all over 30 in this thread aren't we

Except for some of the Norwegians, yes.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

This is insanely bad, why did you feel you needed to post this here or anywhere

Quirk posted:

I want poo poo that sounds like KMFDM's waste

Quirk posted:

those poppy borderline genre songs I linked are just a stone's throw away from the last MSI album

You know the beginning of Ohgr's Cracker? I want full songs of sped up guitar loops like that. This genre is loving BORING. People tell me my poo poo sounds like video game music and I can't figure out why one else is trying to make anything without that kind of driving energy behind it. I'm not talking lol tribute music about games either, we know what game music sounds like now lets use that to make something new. I read all these stupid forums about Industrial since I am literally the entire scene in Alaska with no where else to turn and people want this music to evolve without actually changing. Ooh, we got some dub wubs now, progress! Combichrist is still the go-to for angry industrialish among anyone under 30. No one is driven by anything pure. No one wants to experiment, no one wants to have the balls to say "gently caress you, if you hate this good, your world is over". I spent hours after hours talking with everybody to figure out how what I grew up on came together, the big industrial race of the early 90s to when Nu Metal put the final nail in it's mainstream appeal, there's so much I can't share and that's my reward and inspiration for actually wanting to make something different and new and "push the boat out" as I was told Alan Moulder would say. And ironically mister Sonichu avatar, got into it over on the CWCKI forums with someone from KMFDM's Adios album about the division and fallout from the end of that era. That guy was dick though, knew too much for who he shared it with. The world this music started with is not the same world that exists today, I want to know what's going to click with and inspire musicians after us because we're all done and buried now, no one no one no one is going to break waves with zombie necro ootz wubs. And if what I make isn't going to be considered industrial, so be it, I don't like it anymore.

Entropist posted:

No, it sounds like faster j-pop because of the high-pitched voices it causes. I think you need to have built up some immunity through years of Japan exposure to be able to stand that poo poo.

gently caress jpop everything I linked had guitars.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, you want to push the boundaries and make original music, listen to Too Dark Park, like, 8 zillion times and make poo poo like that because no one else ever really got it. Destroy melody, hide it in the base line, construct your music out of timbres and rhythms, make sound collages by mangling samples. That's gonna get you a lot farther than playing Real Life at 78 speed. Also, if anyone approaches you with an Access Virus, punch them in the loving face.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My bad shitposting aside, I believe you're confusing some things with others here.

quote:

This genre is loving BORING.

Which "genre"? There is no one genre that this thread discusses, although the title might suggest otherwise. Are you talking about a specific genre (electro-industrial, whatever that means?) or the whole vast interlocking alternative (however alternative you want to think of it as) musical entity that comprises electro-industrial as well as its multitudes of derivate musical directions, parallel genres etc. etc.?

quote:

... I can't figure out why one else is trying to make anything without that kind of driving energy behind it. [...] No one is driven by anything pure. No one wants to experiment, no one wants to have the balls to say "gently caress you, if you hate this good, your world is over".

Do you sincerely believe this? If you do, the horse you're sitting on is majestic in height.

You're confusing the mainstream of this particular musical scene with the entirety of it. Yes, when a certain scene matures enough and gains enough followers, there is absolutely going to be a "boring mainstream" even inside of it. There are absolutely going to be derivative and boring bands that aren't interested in making anything new but instead just want to replicate the cool things they dig or grew up with. Absolutely. That's how these things work. If you look back at any kind of alternative cultural movement, including musical ones, you'll find that's what ALWAYS happens - although the extent of it is of course relative to how accessible the thing is in the first place and how many people it can attract. For example, noise/true avant-garde music will never attract that many people so this phenomenon will still take place, but in a very small scale.

No, the derivative stuff might not be particularly interesting or innovative, but not all music has to be, and certainly not for everyone. I hope you do realize that most people aren't interested in that. They're interested in familiarity and feeling good and thus want to listen to something that is more or less guaranteed to give them cool feelings or just be music they can party to, that's basic human psychology. For most people music is entertainment and they're not concerned with how soulful or artful it is. You might think it's unfortunate, and of course it is, at least partly, but it's also how it is. But if you also believe the "zombie necro oontz wubs" stuff, which, by the way, is kind of likely not even trying to be groundbreaking in the first place, is all there is to this scene, you honestly need to listen to more music. Look at I Die : You Die or something. The music they cover is a pretty comprehensive cross-cut of the exact kind of innovative stuff you're clamoring after. Claiming that no one wants to make groundbreaking music (apart from yourself?) is an incredibly silly position to take.

quote:

And if what I make isn't going to be considered industrial, so be it, I don't like it anymore.

Why do you care if your music is considered industrial or not? Maybe you should just make music without thinking what people think it is. Just make music and put it out for people to hear.

quote:

since I am literally the entire scene in Alaska with no where else to turn

Maybe this is your problem.

edit: Look Quirk man I'm not trying to poo poo on you and definitely not on your music (which I rather like) but those are some kinda extreme opinions you've got going there.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 22, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sizone posted:

Except for some of the Norwegians, yes.

I'm 26, but I have EXTREMELY diverse taste in music.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Eh, I've been just listening to some Witch House for my joke music genre that vaguely sounds like industrial music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIojbRhBns

Industrial's pretty much a creative dead end at this point now that most of the bands and fans are old farts. I think the biggest lost potential was in the power noise stuff a decade ago. It really felt like some of those labels and bands were about to evolve into something really interesting and go beyond into new territory, but it all just sort of stagnated and everyone started listening to Combichrist or whatever. I still think there were a lot of places for that sub-genre to explore.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Eh, I've been just listening to some Witch House for my joke music genre that vaguely sounds like industrial music.

Industrial's pretty much a creative dead end at this point now that most of the bands and fans are old farts. I think the biggest lost potential was in the power noise stuff a decade ago. It really felt like some of those labels and bands were about to evolve into something really interesting and go beyond into new territory, but it all just sort of stagnated and everyone started listening to Combichrist or whatever. I still think there were a lot of places for that sub-genre to explore.

I'm not really sure how that qualifies as a "joke" genre (or even really a genre, TBH). Most of those artists are fairly mainstream. Purity Ring was at Coachella last year (although their abstinence shtick is kind of odd).

Or is that :thejoke:?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Industrial's pretty much a creative dead end at this point now that most of the bands and fans are old farts.

Which bands are you talking about? I can recall plenty of super duper old people and bands that have put out fresh albums in the last couple of years.

The creative stagnancy is happening in the mainstream of this thing, as it always does. There are both old and young people in there.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ah, the good old 'industrial/ebm is dead' discussion... The problem in this genre is that bands from older generations don't break up, you can still go see a DAF or Skinny Puppy show if you want. This reduces the visibility of new groups, but they do exist, they're just not very well known. Seconding the I Die: You Die.recommendation for hearing some of it.

e: And yeah, the old bands also bring out new albums that are sometimes good, like Borghesia last year.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I like boom crash sounds, scree scree noisy sounds and bleep bleep bloop sounds. Am I industrial enough?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

I like boom crash sounds, scree scree noisy sounds and bleep bleep bloop sounds. Am I industrial enough?

How much money have you spent on Cyberloxx™ in the last five years?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sizone posted:

Man, you want to push the boundaries and make original music, listen to Too Dark Park, like, 8 zillion times and make poo poo like that because no one else ever really got it. Destroy melody, hide it in the base line, construct your music out of timbres and rhythms, make sound collages by mangling samples. That's gonna get you a lot farther than playing Real Life at 78 speed. Also, if anyone approaches you with an Access Virus, punch them in the loving face.

Aside from how extremely bad nightcore is, based on the four songs I have listened to, that was actually the Zeromancer version of Send Me an Angel :eng101:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I unironically enjoy Witch House. :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Entropist posted:

Ah, the good old 'industrial/ebm is dead' discussion... The problem in this genre is that bands from older generations don't break up, you can still go see a DAF or Skinny Puppy show if you want. This reduces the visibility of new groups, but they do exist, they're just not very well known. Seconding the I Die: You Die.recommendation for hearing some of it.

e: And yeah, the old bands also bring out new albums that are sometimes good, like Borghesia last year.
I don't think the genre is particularly exciting or being pushed forward in general, but there's plenty of off-shoots, side-projects and followers. And yeah, occasionally an old standby puts out a good album. Last Covenant album was a pleasant surprise.

Where does m.i.a.b. fall? I like their stuff still (though Revelations didn't do much for me, but I should give it another listen).

Excited for new Ashbury Heights. Their releases are few and far between, but both were diverse and AAA quality. The new one appears like it'll fall somewhere in between.

For something closer to "classic" ebm, A23's Surveillance side-project was pretty great! https://surveillance23.bandcamp.com/album/oceania Loved the 80s sound of "Homeland Security". A bit overtly-political for my tastes, but it did a really cool job of tying the GWB and Obama administrations' policies together.

edit: Seabound this week!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 22, 2015

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

LabyaMynora posted:

I unironically enjoy Witch House. :colbert:
ID:YD's top 25 for last year has an album by VLHLL in it, which has some really cool songs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

ID:YD's top 25 for last year has an album by VLHLL in it, which has some really cool songs.

Yup, read ID:YD every week thanks to this forum. I bought the new Valhall on its release day. Plus the Mircalla/Valhall split releases are some of my favorite albums of the past few years. Pretty much buying everything Mircalla releases these days. Digging Aaimon a lot, too.

To me, some of the most exciting "industrial" releases of the past few years have come out of the "witch house" genre.

I've also been getting into "outrun electro." It started when Twiin posted Le Matos "Join Us" on his top 10 of 2013, and I've just been digging into that genre more and more. Really like Kavinsky, Perturberator and Vogel. Saw the movie "Drive" because of the music, really loved it. Downloaded Hotline: Miami to my PS3 that mostly gets used for Netflix these days, like it a lot, but never finished it.

I'm also turning 34, so... old fart.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Yeah synthwave/outrun/whatever is probably the coolest stuff in the world and everyone should listen to it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Which bands are you talking about? I can recall plenty of super duper old people and bands that have put out fresh albums in the last couple of years.

The creative stagnancy is happening in the mainstream of this thing, as it always does. There are both old and young people in there.

It's just been a very long time since I've listened to a new industrial release and heard anything really exciting or fresh that wasn't just retreading old ground. There's still some very good industrial music coming out. Laibach's putting out some of the strongest material they've ever done. Dead When I Found her's last album was probably one of the best industrial albums I've heard in the last 15 years. There was also absolutely nothing new about anything on it.

The last release out of the genre that I can remember really blowing my mind with a unique sound was Gridlock's Formless. I remember putting the CD on when I first got it, and when the beat dropped in on the first track my jaw just sort of hit the floor.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
If you think the genre is "boring" and everyone is just listening to Combichrist, I DO understand your pain...

....BUT it tells me you haven't explored avenues outside whatever circle of people and/or message boards you get music recommendations from.

There's ALOT going on outside mainstream industrial culture if you dig. I think, as usual with this argument, I will say the issue is that many of the newest forms of music/art that are pushing boundaries and breaking new ground are not labeling themselves with the word "industrial". Frankly, I don't blame them. When you do you are immediately lumped in with the likes of Combichrist and Nachtmar. Pretty much anything you put out that isn't four-to-the-floor and distorted is ignored and looked at as "weird and un-dancible".

Try exploring the world of experimental pop, outrun, witchhouse. Catch a Jawa-style multimedia show at a downtown art gallery. These styles and more blend heavily into the world of industrial. Only these artists are smart enough to try and stay away from the blanket term which will instantly date them, and in your case, would probably cause you to overlook them.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Well, at the risk of getting into a 1998-style "What is industrial?" internet argument, I don't think it is fair to lump every experimental music and art group under the blanket term industrial. All those things don't call themselves industrial because they really don't have any connection with ye olde industrial music/genre/scene/whatever. There will always be good music trying stuff outside the box. I just consider all this stuff a new generation of artists that aren't really coming from a place where they are making music from the whole Throbbing Gristle->Skinny Puppy->EBM lineage of music and are doing their own thing.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Quirk posted:

Or early ATR apparently
Isn't that... er... Youth Code? (But better)

Also, thanks thread for reminding me to look up Laibach tour dates... and they're at the Roxy here. :hfive: Thank god it's at a small venue, and apparently just them. And $25!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 23, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I turned 30 last month. :ohdear:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I see your point. However I can take that and say that is what Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, and Einstürzend Neubauten did from the beginning - they just did their own thing and eventually got lumped under industrial... despite them all having a very separate sound. I'll also argue I've seen witchhouse, jawa, experimental pop, and such play many industrial-oriented shows and even be released under record labels that typically release stereotype industrial. Hard to have this conversation without trying to define the genre in comic-book-guy voice.

M.I.A.B isn't industrial it's future-pop? I'm over 30 and out touch myself.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What's jawa music?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

edit: Seabound this week!

Speaking of Seabound, it appears a lot of their stuff was removed from Spotify for some reason. Also I just discovered Edge of Dawn last week and it's fantastic.

Awwww poo poo Seabound and Architect will be in Tampa April 10.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 23, 2015

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Kaddish posted:

Awwww poo poo Seabound and Architect will be in Tampa April 10.

Yeah, I'm in for the show in Delaware with Cesium 137

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weird, probably a record-label hiccup? I doubt the band cares.

Also check out Ghost & Writer. I prefer them to Edge of Dawn, and perhaps the last Seabound album.

Also there's this seemingly one-off song which was announced with much fanfare initially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnth6tsqPVw

It's Frank Spinath, Daniel Myer, Krischan Wesenberg and author Sascha Lange.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I listened to that song many dozens of times when I heard it on the Dependence compilation a couple of years ago. Sad there was never a follow up. Fantastic, fantastic song.

That compilation turned me on to Informatik who I also like quite a bit now.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

How much money have you spent on Cyberloxx™ in the last five years?

I googled this and was deeply disappointed to not find futuristic smoked salmon. But thanks to whoever suggested Sturm Café. I don't regret buying this album so far. (turned 31 last month)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What's jawa music?

Jawa (aka. "video music") basically blends the audio and visual artistic medium into one - where people create new music videos by splicing film clips into each other.

Imagine music made from only samples, only done with video, in order to make music and video. Some of it is even manipulated live, and I see locals starting to open more for industrial and experimental bands. There was even a brief stint of MTV commercials and adverts that overused to death a few years ago. Imagine that, but you know, good.

Here is an example that should appeal to the industrial crowd...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9bNdpo1Co4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Babby Sathanas posted:

Yeah synthwave/outrun/whatever is probably the coolest stuff in the world and everyone should listen to it.

It's definitely the most exciting thing related to this genre* that I've heard in the last five years, I love synthwave. Even back when I didn't know it was a whole genre with bands and labels and such, and just referred to it as "you know, those songs with 80s/90s synths that they have now".

*I suppose you could call it an extension of EBM? Meh, Perturbator's playing Terminus so it's genre enough for me at least.