Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Golden Sun isn't a game it's a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

he missed a good game

for the GBA

for 12 year olds

A reasonable assessment

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Weird, i always thought that Golden Sun was considered a really good RPG for some reason.

If it's not I'll grab something else when the store's finally working again tomorrow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

Weird, i always thought that Golden Sun was considered a really good RPG for some reason.

If it's not I'll grab something else when the store's finally working again tomorrow.

It was pretty good for its time...it just hasn't really aged all that well. I would still argue its worth checking out, but its not mindblowing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Golden Sun isn't a game it's a book.

By that metric it's a terrible book.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kin posted:

I played it on the GBA when I was 12 and it owned.

I looked back on it recently and it did not own.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I might actually grab the MK8 DLC from that. Hadn't bought it yet, so functionally for free (and oddly one of the cheaper items) seems good. Leaves me 2700 stars (though I might be able to add some more because MM came with a code for some reason), so any recommendations?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Astro Nut posted:

I might actually grab the MK8 DLC from that. Hadn't bought it yet, so functionally for free (and oddly one of the cheaper items) seems good.
The MK8 DLC there is just the Zelda pack, though (which would probably be why it's cheapish). So you'd still have to get the Animal Crossing pack separately.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

KennyMan666 posted:

The MK8 DLC there is just the Zelda pack, though (which would probably be why it's cheapish). So you'd still have to get the Animal Crossing pack separately.

I realised, and even then, still saves me money. That and maybe I can keep it separate for my sister's birthday - she's a big AC fan.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
To sum up the following post quickly, what is a fast easy way to get 10 coins?

So, I was rather disappointed because there was no reasonable way for me to get 1400 coins for Uprising and Star Fox 3DS. It wasn't the cheapest route I could have gone, but I recently picked up both of the aforementioned games, cartridge only, for a price well below what they are going for on eBay and Amazon. So, I am not going to be spending coins on those anymore. Right now, there are only 2 reward games that I would say are "must haves" - Super Metroid for Wii U (200 coins) and Earthbound for Wii U (250) coins. Most of the other games that I sort of want are 200 coins (e.g. Zelda 1), and I have 1240 total with nothing else to redeem. I would hate to end up with 190 coins and nothing to spend them on, so how can I get 10 coins for free?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

So, I was rather disappointed because there was no reasonable way for me to get 1400 coins for Uprising and Star Fox 3DS. It wasn't the cheapest route I could have gone, but I recently picked up both of the aforementioned games, cartridge only, for a price well below what they are going for on eBay and Amazon. So, I am not going to be spending coins on those anymore. Right now, there are only 2 reward games that I would say are "must haves" - Super Metroid for Wii U (200 coins) and Earthbound for Wii U (250) coins. Most of the other games that I sort of want are 200 coins (e.g. Zelda 1), and I have 1240 total with nothing else to redeem. I would hate to end up with 190 coins and nothing to spend them on, so how can I get 10 coins for free?

Do you have Theatrhythm Curtain Call registered to your account?

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

Fremry posted:

I'm thinking of picking up SMT4. I asked over in the 3DS thread, but only got one response. Is it a good game to get into jrpgs with? I haven't played a jrpg in probably 15 years, and last time I did, I didn't like them. But I also didn't like Zelda back then, and I'm slowly making my way through the whole series.

I'd like to try a jrpg, and I've heard people talk about SMT4, but I just don't know if it's the right game to jump into.

If you haven't played Fire Emblem: Awakening, try the demo. I was hooked within 30 minutes, bought the game and never looked back.

But I understand it does some quirky things JRPGs don't usually do.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

jivjov posted:

It was pretty good for its time...it just hasn't really aged all that well. I would still argue its worth checking out, but its not mindblowing.

Yeah Golden Sun came out at a time where there were basically no RPGs for the GBA and people were just happy to finally get something in that genre. It's not completely terrible but it is really wordy even for a JRPG, which says a lot. On the plus side the psychic powers outside of battle were kind of neat, and theoretically the pseudo-class system the game had going on was interesting, though in reality it was better to just load your dudes up with Djinn of their respective element instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JustJeff88 posted:

Pokemon Bank is free and gives out 10.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

blackjack posted:

But I understand it does some quirky things JRPGs don't usually do.

It's a strategy game, which is its own genre.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tae posted:

It's a strategy game, which is its own genre.

Well, it's a strategy RPG. It stands astride both genres like a colossus.

It's also an excellent game and might be worth checking out, even if it is only half RPG.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Good to see the AU Stars Catalogue is anemic as ever. I did pick up the awesome Mario Kart shirt they have on there, which at least was better than the pencil holders or washcloths. Beats me why they couldn't open the digital gates like the EU store since they're exactly the same thing.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

iajanus posted:

Good to see the AU Stars Catalogue is anemic as ever. I did pick up the awesome Mario Kart shirt they have on there, which at least was better than the pencil holders or washcloths. Beats me why they couldn't open the digital gates like the EU store since they're exactly the same thing.

It's really disappointing. I was hoping for digital games, or the Mario Kart 8 soundtrack.

I'll probably end up getting the t-shirt.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

To the goon asking about JRPGs that level evenly and stuff, the Denpa Men series does that. Even the first one is really good but to my understanding they get progressively better.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

iajanus posted:

Their twitter said today that those digital rewards will coming sometime in the future, so there is that, I guess.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think I have most of the games that they're offering on the EU Stars Catalogue. :(

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I need to work out a combination of EU game downloads that will leave me with the least amount of stars remaining.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks for all of the RPG suggestions. I am pretty sure I'm just a person who doesn't like jRPGs, however the Fire Emblem suggestions have been great because I also thought I wasn't a strategy person, but after playing the demo, I realize my tastes for strategy have changed. I have a backlog now, so I'll either pick it up if it goes on sale or pick it up when I'm through my backlog.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thing I don't like about Fire Emblem is I like strategy from map to map, but I don't want to have to plan strategy for longer than that, like who do I level up and who do I get to date each other to make the best soldier, and how much good do I spend on whatever.

That's why my favorite is Advance Wars, each scenario is a clean slate.

In Codename Steam long term strategy is not effectively possible because you have next to no information about your enemies or surroundings.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

greatn posted:

who do I level up and who do I get to date each other to make the best soldier

Unless you're playing on the absolute hardest difficulties, neither of these actually matter. Every unit in Awakening is amazing and can be used with no issues.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

Unless you're playing on the absolute hardest difficulties, neither of these actually matter. Every unit in Awakening is amazing and can be used with no issues.

Yeah, unless you're playing on Lunatic min-maxing-type nonsense is not required in the least and it's indeed pretty hard to not end up with a team of paired monsters.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kaubocks posted:

I played it on the GBA when I was 12 and it owned.

I looked back on it recently and it did not own.

Well, thanks to all the feedback i went and got Pullblox on the 3DS (which i didn't realise was just the EU version of Pushmo) and Advance wars on the WiiU because i know that one's great.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The prices on those rewards are ridiculous, get hosed Nintendo. 4800 Stars (I think) used to get you a Wii SNES Controller which sold on ebay for 80€.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kin posted:

Well, thanks to all the feedback i went and got Pullblox on the 3DS (which i didn't realise was just the EU version of Pushmo) and Advance wars on the WiiU because i know that one's great.

I wish that you they would put the other ones on VC, or at the very least #2. I have all 4 of the mobile versions and AW1, while very good, is the weakest of the quartet in my opinion. 2 was much better, Dual Strike had some great ideas but went off the rails a bit, and Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict was very well balanced but took a somewhat understandable paddling for the huge shift in tone and graphical style, though I personally didn't mind.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
How many Star Coins would I get if I bought NES Remix 2? Is it the standard 250 or a little lower?

e: side question, would the 3D SEGA games or Mighty Switch Force get me any surveys?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In the US I got surveys/coins for MSF 1 and 2, not sure about Europe.

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
In Europe I did not get surveys for MSF1/2 or 3D Shinobi III. And I only got 50 stars for SMTIV.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Yeah I feel no regrets using my coins on the Link Between World's Soundtrack, those games are super overpriced and nothing sticks out to me personally.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I wonder if they'll add more physical rewards in the future or if those digital games are basically the last hurrah.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Champeenship posted:

Their twitter said today that those digital rewards will coming sometime in the future, so there is that, I guess.

Any time I've had to call the Australian office they've just been really apologetic about how crap the AU store is and very honest about the whole situation. It was very surprising given how guarded corporate culture normally is - they were point-blank telling me that they only got the leftover junk from elsewhere and nobody cared about them at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of March 26):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Trine Enchanted Edition - €12.99 / £10.99 or €10.39 / £8.79 for owners of Trine 2
    Suspension Railway Simulator - €7.99 / £5.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Megaman Zero 3 (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Rock Zombie (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until March 26
    Master Reboot (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.49 until April 1
    Zen Pinball 2: South Park Pinball (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £1.99 from March 26-April 2
    TNT Racers - Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from March 26-April 9
    Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - €3.29 / £2.79 from March 26-April 9

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Inazuma Eleven GO Chrono Stones: Wildfire - €39.99 / £34.99
    Inazuma Eleven GO Chrono Stones: Thunderflash - €39.99 / £34.99
    Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin - €39.99 / £29.99
    Spongebob Heropants - €19.99
    Best Friends: My Horse 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Jet Dog - €7.99 / £7.19
    Excave - €4.99 / £4.49
    Adventure Bar Story - €4.99 / £3.99
    Titanic Mystery - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €13.99 / £11.19 until March 26
    Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS eShop) - €22.49 / £18.74 until March 26
    Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 until April 2
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.40 until April 9
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 9
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until April 9
    Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 from March 26-April 2
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - €14.99 / £13.49 from March 26-April 9
    Asterix The Mansions of the Gods (3DS) - €19.99 / £16.99 from March 26-April 9
    Comic Workshop (3DS eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 from March 26-April 16
    Painting Workshop (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from March 26-April 16
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends June 30.

(missing: shovelware sales)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of March 26):

Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends June 30.

Wait, what? I thought Club Nintendo is closing down on September 30th. Are those digital rewards really being removed in June?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I cut/pasted that from the NOA thing, it's probably wrong.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS eShop) - €13.99 / £11.19 until March 26
Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS eShop) - €22.49 / £18.74 until March 26

It's spelled Phoenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kind of a disappointing week, although I'm perfectly ok with that since I've bought a ton of stuff lately.