Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yo can I just say that college basketball loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

SA2K posted:

Yo can I just say that college basketball loving rules

It is a delectable sort of garbage when upsets happen early.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

I'm in 2nd place after Day 1, suck it nerdos :smug: (hope robert morris wins today)

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

Any team that lost to Mizzou this year should not have been picked to win a postseason game.

This is how I filled out my bracket this year (unfortunately)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Peanut President posted:

I'm in 2nd place after Day 1, suck it nerdos :smug: (hope robert morris wins today)

there was enough collective damage to my bracket that I am firmly out of all pools i am in and i am okay with this.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
10-6, and I'd be pissed, if I had put more than 30 seconds of thought into the bracket. Had Iowa St. losing to SMU in the next round, and Baylor in the Elite 8, and while I did pick a 14 to beat a 3, it's Albany.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Buffalo is making me feel awfully stupid right now

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

West Virginia's gimmick defense can gently caress teams up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Benne posted:

So Buffalo is making me feel awfully stupid right now

yeah. thought that was a sure shot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Picking a 12-5 upset just for the sake of picking a 12-5 upset is one of the dumber bracket things people do. Like yeah it usually happens but it's hard to really predict which one it will happen to you so might as well just not bother and live with losing the largely meaningless first round points unless someone is really really over or underseeded.

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013

MourningView posted:

Picking a 12-5 upset just for the sake of picking a 12-5 upset is one of the dumber bracket things people do. Like yeah it usually happens but it's hard to really predict which one it will happen to you so might as well just not bother and live with losing the largely meaningless first round points unless someone is really really over or underseeded.

The way to mitigate this is to pick a 12 seed upset but have them only advance one round and hope that the 5 seed gets knocked out in the round of 32 as well. I picked Wyoming over UNI for reasons that escape me now, but probably had something to do with the momentum Wyoming was riding.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
i picked wofford. so close!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pfisiar posted:

The way to mitigate this is to pick a 12 seed upset but have them only advance one round and hope that the 5 seed gets knocked out in the round of 32 as well. I picked Wyoming over UNI for reasons that escape me now, but probably had something to do with the momentum Wyoming was riding.
That sounds kinda dumb. Just pick a 12-seed if you like the way that particular team looks and you want to take an underdog for a ride.

Anyway glad to see Indiana go down. Some of these lovely power conference teams that backed their way in really need to be put out of their misery. I'm looking at you next, Ok St team who went 1 -6 to finish the season, had a losing record in conference, and went only 18-13 overall. Who wants to see a total wreck of a team like that win a game in the tournament when you could be seeing someone like Murray State (16-0 in conference, lost in conference finals by one on a late bucket)

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

That sounds kinda dumb. Just pick a 12-seed if you like the way that particular team looks and you want to take an underdog for a ride.

Anyway glad to see Indiana go down. Some of these lovely power conference teams that backed their way in really need to be put out of their misery. I'm looking at you next, Ok St team who went 1 -6 to finish the season, had a losing record in conference, and went only 18-13 overall. Who wants to see a total wreck of a team like that win a game in the tournament when you could be seeing someone like Murray State (16-0 in conference, lost in conference finals by one on a late bucket)

What I mean is that if you must pick a 12 seed to beat a 5 just for the sake of satisfying the odds, then pick one where you don't expect either the 5 or 12 seed to advance. The damage if you are wrong is mitigated.

I agree with you about Indiana and Oklahoma state. UCLA too. I did pick UCLA to beat SMU, but UCLA did not deserve to be in the tourney or to advance.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Not a single 12-5 upset lmao

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

ESPN has one perfect bracket left, and it has Ohio State upsetting Arizona, sooooo.... dream probably dead here for that guy.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

chaoslord posted:

ESPN has one perfect bracket left, and it has Ohio State upsetting Arizona, sooooo.... dream probably dead here for that guy.

Just getting all 32 in the first round is impressive enough. Would be pretty drat cool to say you were the last to lose a game though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
still got 14 sweet 16 teams left. Waiting for the hammer to drop.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Friday's boring chalk day sort of took the sting out of whiffing on ISU. Still have 14/16 Sweet 16 teams alive and only one miss in the Midwest (Buffalo, which I didn't have going past the 2nd round anyway).

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm going to be a little annoyed if NC State beats Villanova, since I picked LSU to beat Villanova...

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm going to be a little annoyed if NC State beats Villanova, since I picked LSU to beat Villanova...

I'll be annoyed since I was an idiot and took Villanova to the title game.

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013
I don't recall a #1 seed ever missing this many easy layups. :argh:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
not the GDT

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

fallin1 posted:

I'll be annoyed since I was an idiot and took Villanova to the title game.

same

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Common sense told me not to do it but the stat sheets pushed me.

Pfisiar
Aug 3, 2013
I had Nova going to the final four on my best performing bracket. What a dagger.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I picked State to upset Nova. I almost immediately regretted it, especially since I'm a Tar Heel fan, but at least I can enjoy feeling smug about getting that right.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

And that was the sound of a billion brackets deflating.

(I have Louisville in the final four :shepface:)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm so loving pissed I didn't have the balls to stick with an NC State upset. Changed it Wednesday night. :negative:

Benne posted:

gently caress you Nova, you're officially joining Georgetown on my "never again" list

Haha I totally have this list and Georgetown is in the top spot.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 22, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
gently caress you Nova, you're officially joining Georgetown on my "never again" list

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Welp. There goes my first Elite 8 team. Thanks Georgetown :/

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Benne posted:

I thought double-digit seeds were Georgetown Kryptonite, but no, it's just "teams in the NCAA tournament."

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected
Still somehow leading the goon bracket with my bizarre homer final four of Arizona/Utah/Oklahoma/Kentucky.

I had NC State over Nova and GSU over Baylor :smug:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Absolute Zero posted:

Still somehow leading the goon bracket with my bizarre homer final four of Arizona/Utah/Oklahoma/Kentucky.

I had NC State over Nova and GSU over Baylor :smug:
Oklahoma and Utah are some good tournament grudge match picks, though Utah is less so now since we play them 2-3 times a year anyway.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oklahoma and Utah are some good tournament grudge match picks, though Utah is less so now since we play them 2-3 times a year anyway.

Yeah it's too bad they have to play each other before we'd get them. Wisconsin is a huge revenge game for us, but the opposite is true for Kentucky. Good thing most of the players on Kentucky were like 3 years old and not old enough to remember that game (jesus christ I am old)

...but to be fair i was 2 years old for Oklahoma and had no idea I'd grow up to graduate from Arizona and become a huge basketball fan lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gonna laugh if Oregon beats Wisconsin and the Pac-12 gets 4 Sweet 16 teams after a kinda crappy year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm glad I listened to MV about Utah.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I really should've factored in Virginia's injury woes before doing my bracket. :(

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My picks have been total poo poo and I'm still near the top of the pool. I guess everyone's bracket is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Sparty about to ruin the last good thing about my bracket. What a bad year for me.

• Locked thread