Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stink Terios posted:

Fullscreen on Youtube stopped working for some reason, it just sets Firefox itself to fullscreen while the video is stuck in a weird almost-full state. Already checked permissions, everything's ok.

Do you have any youtube-related Greasemonkey scripts or extensions? Every time I think youtube has a new issue, it always ends up being one of those instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is the Firefox 37 beta suffering from a memory leak or something? Not only do I get mini freezes when browsing online but the memory usage shoots up to ridiculous levels too within 30 minutes of Firefox being open.

Wondering the same about 36.0.1 stable. I haven't seen Firefox memory usage hitting 2Gb+ in years.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Do you have any youtube-related Greasemonkey scripts or extensions? Every time I think youtube has a new issue, it always ends up being one of those instead.

Got rid of them all, didn't change a thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ringu0 posted:

Wondering the same about 36.0.1 stable. I haven't seen Firefox memory usage hitting 2Gb+ in years.

I disabled all of my browser extensions and it's still stuttering and eating up tons of memory. Looks like Mozilla broke something which means until it gets fixed I'll have to go back to Chrome because this is unusable at the moment.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I disabled all of my browser extensions and it's still stuttering and eating up tons of memory. Looks like Mozilla broke something which means until it gets fixed I'll have to go back to Chrome because this is unusable at the moment.
This indicates there is a problem with your Firefox profile. You can fix it with "Refresh Firefox" in about :support.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alereon posted:

This indicates there is a problem with your Firefox profile. You can fix it with "Refresh Firefox" in about :support.

Tried that and it still doesn't fix anything. It has to be a fault on Mozilla's end if refreshing my profile to default and removing all addons doesn't fix it at all, while other browsers work just fine.

Edit: Actually created a new profile and uninstalled and I still have issues so I don't even know at this point.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 20, 2015

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Same here. Firefox using over 500MB most of the time, whereas before the update it was a lot less. Haven't seen this kind of memory usage since I still had Adblock installed before I learned of uBlock.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Buff Skeleton posted:

Same here. Firefox using over 500MB most of the time, whereas before the update it was a lot less. Haven't seen this kind of memory usage since I still had Adblock installed before I learned of uBlock.

With no extensions enabled and a fresh install of Firefox, it uses up 1.5Gb within 30 minutes for me and browsing pages becomes very choppy and stuttery. It's unusable for me in it's current state.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Must be something weird, got prompted to update to 36.0.3.

Edit: Yup, they found some security issues. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/36.0.3/releasenotes/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr. Fortitude posted:

With no extensions enabled and a fresh install of Firefox, it uses up 1.5Gb within 30 minutes for me and browsing pages becomes very choppy and stuttery. It's unusable for me in it's current state.

lol if you have less than 8GB of RAM in tyoolasjc 2015.

I had to use a machine with 3GB with Windows 8 for a while and browsing modern sites was only barely possible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

annapacketstormaya posted:

lol if you have less than 8GB of RAM in tyoolasjc 2015.

I had to use a machine with 3GB with Windows 8 for a while and browsing modern sites was only barely possible.

I've got 16GB. But as far as I know the 64-bit derivatives of Firefox are really poorly optimized and are barely updated unless that changed lately? I wouldn't mind the memory leak so much if it didn't cause everything to stutter uncontrollably, that's what is making it unusable more than anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've got 16GB. But as far as I know the 64-bit derivatives of Firefox are really poorly optimized and are barely updated unless that changed lately? I wouldn't mind the memory leak so much if it didn't cause everything to stutter uncontrollably, that's what is making it unusable more than anything.

If by "barely updated" you mean "a few days behind official releases", sure.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Would you not be better off using the regular Firefox builds?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've got 16GB. But as far as I know the 64-bit derivatives of Firefox are really poorly optimized and are barely updated unless that changed lately?

You probably weren't using an official 64-bit Firefox build on Windows, since while Mozilla is finally serious about adding one it's still only available in dev and nightly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm still using 32-bit beta version of Firefox, mostly because I want proper HTML5 playback. At first everything was great but the latest beta update introduced the huge memory leak and rolling back to the stable channel also has the memory leak.

Right now after about an hour or so Firefox crashes because of a lack of memory. I mentioned 64-bit Firefox because I'd assume it wouldn't run out of memory so quick but I also heard they weren't exactly stable either.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It might be a teething thing or an extension giving you headaches.

Incidentally I haven't had a crash (other than a couple I did intentionally for testing purposes) in Firefox 38 (dev) Win64 so far.

Also I wonder if all browsers are falling victim to Chrome and Firefox's six-week update cycle - even relatively stable ones like IE and Safari, not because of their own issues but because of declining user standards because of the six-week update cycle.

"Welcome to the Internet, where 'stable' means 'obsolete'."

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My Firefox memory usage also increases and starts to stutter when scrolling pages. I have to restart it every once in a while to refresh it. Combined with the black image bug, I'm almost tempted to install the ESR release if I am going to have to wait 2 or 3 versions for this crap to be fixed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nalin posted:

the black image bug

I get this on my phone, but I had no idea it was a thing on desktop Firefox as well. It does seem to have been going on for a while now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Toast Museum posted:

I get this on my phone, but I had no idea it was a thing on desktop Firefox as well. It does seem to have been going on for a while now.

Yeah, it's in Linux too. It's safe to say that it's a Firefox problem, and it might be because it gives up on stuff in a not-graceful way.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - fixed.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 23, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I got a problem with youtube and html5, often the audio on the video will cut out and the video will skip to the end. Is this a youtube center problem or just firefox?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is the Bandcamp website working for others on 36.0.4? I've tried it in safe mode and with all add-ons and clicking the "play" button does nothing. I don't know what kind of player it is, but it doesn't respond at all. I have no problems at Soundcloud, Youtube html5, etc.

Example page: https://minus-silence.bandcamp.com/album/va-ms-3-ms-031

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Depths posted:

I got a problem with youtube and html5, often the audio on the video will cut out and the video will skip to the end. Is this a youtube center problem or just firefox?

I've had the problem as well. Usually I have YouTube Center force HTML5 and it started happening on videos that are over 30 minutes. When I set Youtube Center to 'default,' it really screwed the audio up.

I have no idea what it was. I didn't have much time to get into it last night, sadly.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

68k posted:

Is the Bandcamp website working for others on 36.0.4? I've tried it in safe mode and with all add-ons and clicking the "play" button does nothing. I don't know what kind of player it is, but it doesn't respond at all. I have no problems at Soundcloud, Youtube html5, etc.

Example page: https://minus-silence.bandcamp.com/album/va-ms-3-ms-031

It's working over here. Do you have noscript installed?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

saucepanman posted:

It's working over here. Do you have noscript installed?

I do, but I've whitelisted Bandcamp (and also tried in safe mode with no extensions and got the same behavior).

I think it may have something to do with cookies, but I cannot pinpoint it. I only allow whitelisted cookies, so when I added exceptions for Bandcamp, the player semi-works (nothing plays, but I can move the slider back and forth and it shows me time for the song). But, after unblocking cookies completely, I still get the same behavior, so I'm stumped at this point.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the existing cookies have become corrupted?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a good Google Hangouts extension for Firefox? We use hangouts at work and it's the main thing keeping me from exclusively using FF. Having to keep going back and forth to a tab with gmail is a little annoying.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Have you tried using a standard IM client, or do you need the video conferencing stuff? I really feel your pain, though. The normal hangouts client is so terrible and the conferencing features are so good.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Nalin posted:

Have you tried using a standard IM client, or do you need the video conferencing stuff? I really feel your pain, though. The normal hangouts client is so terrible and the conferencing features are so good.

Not tried an IM client, which are compatible with hangouts? I thought Pidgin was for a while then support ended or something.

Also, in Chrome dev tools when you add CSS rules there is a stylesheet called 'inspector stylesheet' in the sources tab where you can view all the CSS you have added via the inspector.

Is there similar functionality in Firefox? I can add CSS rules via the inspector but I have to copy/paste each one individually rather than view them all at once.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 25, 2015

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a way to turn off the "Add page to Reading List" button in Firefox 39? Or at least, make it stay visible in the URL bar instead of only appearing when I mouse over it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I actually stepped back to 37 when I found a Win64 beta, so I wouldn't know.

That said, you could try searching about:config, and even if you do find it there, tell Mozilla that the way it's currently being done is kinda rear end-handed. (I know, bugzilla lol.)

Also consider bringing it up on Twitter in Mozilla's general direction, but civilly and comprehensibly.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nexus6 posted:

Not tried an IM client, which are compatible with hangouts? I thought Pidgin was for a while then support ended or something.

Also, in Chrome dev tools when you add CSS rules there is a stylesheet called 'inspector stylesheet' in the sources tab where you can view all the CSS you have added via the inspector.

Is there similar functionality in Firefox? I can add CSS rules via the inspector but I have to copy/paste each one individually rather than view them all at once.

I would say most IM clients still support the Google Talk protocol. I use Miranda NG and I can text chat with all my Hangouts friends.

For your second question, I don't know if that is possible with the built-in tools, but have you tried Firebug?

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
I am getting a weird xml error on random pictures on tumblr but the pictures will load fine in IE
This image loads fine on IE http://40.media.tumblr.com/2301024aafd6faf98ae20fd7d5bb33e6/tumblr_nleyj66Zni1qakqfvo1_500.jpg

code:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
      <Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message>
Whats the deal?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Nalin posted:

For your second question, I don't know if that is possible with the built-in tools, but have you tried Firebug?

Hmm, I got rid of firebug because the native tools had come along so much, seems kinda redundant to have both for one feature (OK, two, firebug autosuggests css selectors when you start typing). Also, isn't firebug a big memory hog?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SteviaFan420 posted:

I am getting a weird xml error on random pictures on tumblr but the pictures will load fine in IE
This image loads fine on IE http://40.media.tumblr.com/2301024aafd6faf98ae20fd7d5bb33e6/tumblr_nleyj66Zni1qakqfvo1_500.jpg

code:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
      <Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message>
Whats the deal?

Are you using HTTPSeverywhere? I had to manually update my copy before that stopped happening.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Are you using HTTPSeverywhere? I had to manually update my copy before that stopped happening.

Hey thanks that was it!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a way to turn off the "Add page to Reading List" button in Firefox 39? Or at least, make it stay visible in the URL bar instead of only appearing when I mouse over it?

I set browser.readinglist.enabled to false to disable it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a safe/reliable flash alternative plugin for FF?

I uninstalled Flash because of continual security issues popping up and the crap that comes along with it, but there are some streaming websites which still rely on it and I'd really rather not put it on again.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

slidebite posted:

Is there a safe/reliable flash alternative plugin for FF?

I uninstalled Flash because of continual security issues popping up and the crap that comes along with it, but there are some streaming websites which still rely on it and I'd really rather not put it on again.

There's Mozilla Shumway but to use it you need to be on Firefox Nightly and specifically enable it in about :config. There's also GNU Gnash but it looks pretty dead. I personally just use the official Flash plugin with the Flashblock add-on so I can choose which Flash embeds get to run.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

There's Mozilla Shumway but to use it you need to be on Firefox Nightly and specifically enable it in about :config. There's also GNU Gnash but it looks pretty dead. I personally just use the official Flash plugin with the Flashblock add-on so I can choose which Flash embeds get to run.
I think you could also just install the Shumway extension from the Github, but I don't know how functional it is as a general Flash replacement.