Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really miss Steve Gerber. The man was a treasure who never got the recognition he deserved.

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sentinel Red posted:

No idea where it's from but I look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Jonas Venture Jr.?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Say Nothing posted:

Featuring Rapey Jesus!

That van is, like, rolling probable cause.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Any halfway large city will numerous Indian restaurants of varying quality. Sorry you were in Iowa, I guess.

This is from awhile ago but I will not let this stand, Iowa has plenty of wonderful Indian restaurants. :colbert:

Spidey Super Stories #42: Kingpin shows a shocking lack of knowledge about even the most basic facts of government

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

That's the elf with a gun's entire plotline.

Correct. We do not speak of the DeMatteis stuff.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

GorfZaplen posted:

This is from awhile ago but I will not let this stand, Iowa has plenty of wonderful Indian restaurants. :colbert:

Spidey Super Stories #42: Kingpin shows a shocking lack of knowledge about even the most basic facts of government

That is the...
dumbest plan I've ever seen!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

That is the...

Hey, maybe it'll be a chance for Doctor Doom to finally get that seat in the cabinet he's been scheming after since the 1960s.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why is he posing in panel 1?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey, maybe it'll be a chance for Doctor Doom to finally get that seat in the cabinet he's been scheming after since the 1960s.

Spidey Super Stories #9

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even by the abysmal standards of much of the Golden and Silver Age whenever I read pages from Super Stories I suddenly understand exactly why most Baby Boomers saw comics as utter garbage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

GorfZaplen posted:

I must find out how this ends!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Even by the abysmal standards of much of the Golden and Silver Age whenever I read pages from Super Stories I suddenly understand exactly why most Baby Boomers saw comics as utter garbage.

Spidey Super Stories were aimed at early readers and was associated with The Electric Company. Sometimes they adapted segments from the show, and sometimes they adapted stories of it's bigger sibling comics! It also made a point to include more female and POC characters. With that in mind I think they're pretty drat good comics :colbert:

Spidey Super Stories #43

The fact they're hilarious to us now is just a bonus.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I must find out how this ends!

Spidey comes across Kingpin's goons, who knock him out and stuff him in the fake limo. He overhears them say they're taking him to Kingpin, so he breaks free and heads to Kingpin anyway.

Kingpin drops Spidey through a trapdoor, announcing his plan to kidnap President Carter and blame it on Spidey, somehow. Spiderman breaks free.

Spiderman and Kingpin fight in an alley, and

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

That's mean. Super Stories were written for people who are just learning how to read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When I pick up Berenstein Bears books, I immediately know why novels are garbage which is why I don't read them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mind the walrus posted:

What? The Boomers revived comics aimed at adults by going crazy for early Marvel and nudging Stan Lee towards embracing the counterculture. In fact, the Bronze Age, when cape comics started aiming for sophistication and horror got a revival, (1970-1985, roughly) largely overlaps with the period the Boomers were young adults (1965-1986).

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If anything, the boomers are the ones who had to deal with parents throwing out their collections while they were at college.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

GorfZaplen posted:

Spidey Super Stories were aimed at early readers and was associated with The Electric Company. Sometimes they adapted segments from the show, and sometimes they adapted stories of it's bigger sibling comics! It also made a point to include more female and POC characters. With that in mind I think they're pretty drat good comics :colbert:

Spidey Super Stories #43

"Nobody will know I am Daredevil if I talk about my radar sense out loud." :v:

smashpro1 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 22, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this last line is because Kingpin figures JJJ will just go ahead and blame Spider-Man on the front page unprompted.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

smashpro1 posted:

"Nobody will know I am Daredevil if I talk about my radar sense out loud." :v:

No one will ever know.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that this last line is because Kingpin figures JJJ will just go ahead and blame Spider-Man on the front page unprompted.

Well, he's not *wrong*... JJJ will blame Spidey for anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Spidey Super Stories #43

Spidey comes across Kingpin's goons, who knock him out and stuff him in the fake limo. He overhears them say they're taking him to Kingpin, so he breaks free and heads to Kingpin anyway.

Kingpin drops Spidey through a trapdoor, announcing his plan to kidnap President Carter and blame it on Spidey, somehow. Spiderman breaks free.

Spiderman and Kingpin fight in an alley, and

Spectacular

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well, he's not *wrong*... JJJ will blame Spidey for anything.

Jonah's sitting at home alone, quietly eating dinner while his faithful dog sits nearby when suddenly the dog rips an absolutely rank fart. Immediately Jonah leaps to his feet, sending his food flying, bellowing "CURSE YOU, SPIDER-MAN!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Jonah's sitting at home alone, quietly eating dinner while his faithful dog sits nearby when suddenly the dog rips an absolutely rank fart. Immediately Jonah leaps to his feet, sending his food flying, bellowing "CURSE YOU, SPIDER-MAN!"

I'll never figure out why he named his dog Spider-Man. Maybe he likes to keep a reminder of work at home?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

That is the...

I like to think those ellipses are just Kingpin breathing really hard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In any other book, the Kingpin thinking he could become President simply by kidnapping the real one would mean he was having a stroke.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I like to think those ellipses are just Kingpin breathing really hard.

I like to imagine that the Kingpin is William Shatner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In any other book, the Kingpin thinking he could become President simply by kidnapping the real one would mean he was having a stroke.

The sad thing is, Chameleon tried to pull something very similar to that in Obama meets Spider-man. And that was a regular story, not some all-ages or early reader stuff.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Chameleon actually has the ability to take over somebody's life, though. His plan was to look and sound like the president so that people would think he was the same person. The Super Story Kingpin's plan hinged on the idea that if you take down the president, you get his job.

That might work in a military junta or a board room, but I am like 95% positive the US government doesn't work like that.

Source: I am a constitutional lawyer

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Maybe Kingpin thought he was in a shounen series. "I'll become King of the USA!"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Clearly Kingpin was going to have the president's car diverted and take its place with his own duplicate car. Then proceed to get out and pretend to be Carter. "I put on weight! Dang minibars"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Considering in the Spidey Super Stories universe, if a wall comes to life and walks closer on a baseball field, play continues with a new much closer boundary, it wouldn't surprise me if anyone who gets out of the president's limo is president by default.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Maybe Kingpin thought he was in a shounen series. "I'll become King of the USA!"

Hmm, he Did open with a JoJo pose...

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Josef bugman posted:

But if any of you guys find yourselves over here try Gormet Burger Kitchen (GBK) the fires are amazing.

This man is a fool or a liar, GBK are a terrible chain selling ready made reheated kept warm under a heat lamp crap.

The best burger in London and possibly the entire UK is Hache in Camden Town.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pound_Coin posted:

This man is a fool or a liar, GBK are a terrible chain selling ready made reheated kept warm under a heat lamp crap.

The best burger in London and possibly the entire UK is Hache in Camden Town.

Oh gods the "sexy" ad campaign kept me from going there. Plus Camden. Might have to have a try if I am in the area.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

In fairness, Spider-Man did feed Jonah's dog four pounds of cheese.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wtf, Green Lantern?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Teenage Arisia had a massive crush on Hal Jordan, so when he said she was too young she ring-whammied herself to become a little older. Arisia claimed that her subconscious did it and that her mind had matured as well, and Hal was like "um... okay, we can work with this."

Superman, on the other hand? He'll lay one on a thirteen-year-old.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

delfin posted:

Teenage Arisia had a massive crush on Hal Jordan, so when he said she was too young she ring-whammied herself to become a little older. Arisia claimed that her subconscious did it and that her mind had matured as well, and Hal was like "um... okay, we can work with this."

Superman, on the other hand? He'll lay one on a thirteen-year-old.

Super-awkward

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's 3 out of 7 JLA members who are confirmed pedophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh gee look it's from a work by the master, John Byrne.