Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
My first Ken Forkish attempt just came out of the oven. I think I left it in 5 minutes too long, but otherwise it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Posted this in the What Did You Cook thread before realizing there is a whole thread about bread!

Made my first no-knead bread, holy poo poo it was so easy. And it came out way better than the more time-consuming bread recipes I usually use. No-knead is my new bread! Crunchy crust and chewy inside, great flavor. All around thumbs up. (I used the King Arthur recipe)

I made the dough last night (super simple, just flour, water, salt and yeast), and let it rise in the fridge for about 24 hours, then took it out and let it rise for another hour, then baked it for a half hour. A lot of waiting time, but since I was at work all day today it seemed like nothing.

Anyhow I am a no-knead convert now and my house smells like heaven.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been making a crusty white bread recipe I got from a Game of Thrones cookbook and so far it has been turning out well (this is my first experience making any bread.) I was looking for another bread recipe to try that would be good for making paninis. So bread that is good toasted and not too thick, any goon recommendations? thanks!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I've been making a crusty white bread recipe I got from a Game of Thrones cookbook and so far it has been turning out well (this is my first experience making any bread.) I was looking for another bread recipe to try that would be good for making paninis. So bread that is good toasted and not too thick, any goon recommendations? thanks!

Ciabatta is amazing for paninis, it can be hard to assemble without a mixer/food processor though, because you need an incredibly wet dough. Not impossible though.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Ciabatta is amazing for paninis, it can be hard to assemble without a mixer/food processor though, because you need an incredibly wet dough. Not impossible though.

On the contrary, you don't need a mixer or food processor for very wet doughs at all. Replace intensive mixing with stretch and folds and a long bulk ferment.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made milk sandwich loaves.

Its like eating a tasty cloud. Amazing toasted.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twoot posted:

Made milk sandwich loaves.

Its like eating a tasty cloud. Amazing toasted.

Recipe please.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Recipe please.

I make that same loaf, out of the Joy of Cooking:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2038145--Joy-of-Cooking-s-Milk-Bread

It is absolutely wonderful.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

therattle posted:

Recipe please.

Huxley posted:

I make that same loaf, out of the Joy of Cooking:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/2038145--Joy-of-Cooking-s-Milk-Bread

It is absolutely wonderful.

That looks good but what i used was much simpler;

(per loaf)

600g Strong White bread flour
380g Whole Milk @ room temp
20g unsalted butter @ room temp
1 1/4 tsp yeast
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar

Mixed dry ingredients, added milk and butter, kneaded in a mixer until smooth. Waited until doubled, knocked back, shaped for (900g/2lb) loaf tin, then proved in the tin until doubled again.

Oven preheated to 180c with a pan of boiling water for steam. Baked for 45mins.

twoot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 5, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twoot posted:

(per loaf)

1 1/4 tsp yeast
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar

Mixed dry ingredients, added milk and butter, kneaded in a mixer until smooth. Waited until doubled, knocked back, shaped for (900g/2lb) loaf tin, then proved in the tin until doubled again.

Sounds nice and simple.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well I made my first sourdough loaf and despite me just winging it and not really using a recipe it turned out pretty good! I kinda neglected the salt but otherwise i'ts nice. Did a 1:2:3 rye starter:water:flour, then kneaded in enough rye flour so that I could knead it (it started very wet). Let it ferment for a few hours last night then put it in the fridge overnight. Took it back out and let it rise more (maybe 3-5 hours or so). Then I split it up, shaped it, and let it rise for ~1.5 hrs. Slashed it, put them into a 425 oven w/ water. Then I bumped the temp up to 450 after a bit because why not? Baked until they looked nice.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Wow! That's some attractive bread. Reminds me I haven't baked in a while, I'm sure my starter is furious.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Made some bread for a small family gathering.

Glamour angle

This is what happens when you show of bread to people. They become rats. :allears:

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Hey, looking for advice. I'm a single adult with a full-time+ job and I'm trying to observe a fairly frugal lenten season (eat on very little and donate the difference to charity, currently running at $3.25/day). I've been trying to get an ideal recipe for low effort big loaf but what I've succeeded at making are tasty vegetable stuffed buns (too much work) and giant pancakes.

I barely have 2' of counter space in a shared kitchenette and have to share the oven with the rest of the building. My yeast never actually rises... its foamy when it gets mixed with flour but I can't control my room temperature so it sits at 65 degrees and does nothing till I throw it in the oven. I'm not too picky concerning what the bread actually comes out as but I've already got a big bag of flour so switching over to a cornbread isn't really an option. Ideal outcome is something dense enough that I can cut into hearty slices and make a refried bean and onion sandwich out of for lunch everyday.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If you have time to claim to the oven for yourself then turn the oven onto it's (lowest) heat for about twenty minutes, turn it off, place the rising dough inside and put a small open pot full of boiling or near boiling water inside underneath the bowl of dough. Close the over door. Then leave it alone until the rising period is done. The heat from the oven and moisture from the steam will stimulate rising.

This recipe would fit your needs: http://www.frugallivingnw.com/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/ I do the above with no knead rosemary bread rather, all the time.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 9, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Quick question about yeast. I bake a variety of different breads, ie no knead, pizza crust, baguettes. What is the best kind of yeast to keep around, active or instant?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

This is what happens when you show of bread to people. They become rats. :allears:

I made a loaf of bread for a family brunch a while back, and my sister told us she was pregnant then tore into the loaf exactly like that.

She wasn't even planning on telling us until after we ate, but she moved up the announcement just so she could eat handfuls of bread without anyone getting suspicious. The power of bread.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

calandryll posted:

Quick question about yeast. I bake a variety of different breads, ie no knead, pizza crust, baguettes. What is the best kind of yeast to keep around, active or instant?

What ever you're already familiar with. They do the same exact thing and the taste will be the same, instant just starts working faster at the start. I use active since Costco sells 2 lb vacuum packed blocks for like 15 bucks, which will last me a long time.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012

HIJK posted:

This recipe would fit your needs: http://www.frugallivingnw.com/amazing-no-knead-bread-step-by-step-recipe/ I do the above with no knead rosemary bread rather, all the time.

Thanks, is there anything specific that I might need to do to modify this for cooking in a crock-pot? I honestly didn't even think of it as an option until I thought about letting my dough rise on the warm setting... then I found online that you can do everything in a crock-pot. Any tips/pitfalls/recipes?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

acidia posted:

Thanks, is there anything specific that I might need to do to modify this for cooking in a crock-pot? I honestly didn't even think of it as an option until I thought about letting my dough rise on the warm setting... then I found online that you can do everything in a crock-pot. Any tips/pitfalls/recipes?

Crock pot bread sounds...weird. How do you bring it to heat quickly enough? Do you just put in the risen loaf when it's at temperature?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

acidia posted:

I've never baked in a crock pot but some googling gave me this link: http://momprepares.com/no-knead-bread-recipe-for-the-crockpot/ So I guess you can try that. Much shorter rising time too.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does anyone have a solid go-to recipe for a whole wheat seeded sandwich bread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

Does anyone have a solid go-to recipe for a whole wheat seeded sandwich bread?

I usually do something like:
500g ww flour
1tsp dry yeast
1tsp salt
Seeds as desired (I don't measure but add liberally, usually pumpkin, sunflower and sesame)
A good splash of olive or veg oil
A tbsp of treacle, molasses or honey
Enough warm water to form a dough, around 300-325ml
Mix
Knead
Rise for approx 2 hours.
Shape and place into lightly oiled tin. Cover with cloth.
Rise again, time depending on temp
Slash and bake. Lower temp (like 190) for softer crust) higher (230) for crisp. 40-45 mins should do it.

I know it's a bit vague but it's really forgiving and actually quite hard to screw up.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012

Wow, it worked in a crockpot.

-1 1/2 cups of water
-yeast
-3/4 tsp salt
-3 1/2 cups of flour
-1 egg
-2 tbsp sugar
-oil to grease the pot

Let it rise for 2 hours on the warm setting, flipped it to high for 2 1/2 hours... done. It is a little moist since I cooked it with the lid on the entire time but other than that it is a perfectly fine (if ugly) loaf to make sandwiches out of.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

twoot posted:

(per loaf)

1 1/4 tsp yeast
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar

Thank you for the recipe! I made this last night, and it came out very nice with a good, tight crumb - but there was barely any oven spring. Should there have been? I did let it crown by an inch before baking but it didn't gain any more height in the oven.

Lately I've been having trouble with oven spring. Any french style loaves come out beautifully but sandwich loaves get no spring or sometimes even fall. I have a baking steel on the bottom rack of my oven and a pizza stone on the top rack with ample room between for rise. Any suggestions?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Thank you for the recipe! I made this last night, and it came out very nice with a good, tight crumb - but there was barely any oven spring. Should there have been? I did let it crown by an inch before baking but it didn't gain any more height in the oven.

Lately I've been having trouble with oven spring. Any french style loaves come out beautifully but sandwich loaves get no spring or sometimes even fall. I have a baking steel on the bottom rack of my oven and a pizza stone on the top rack with ample room between for rise. Any suggestions?

My loaves had a ton of oven spring. The day I baked those my kitchen was very warm from cooking other things, so possibly my batch proved more than I let on in the post. When I put them in, the dough was just about creeping over the edge of the pans, maybe rose above the pan by ~2inches at the top. I'd say that my loaves were probably almost verging on over-proved (started to get non-uniform bubbles in the centre).

The biggest mistake for lack of spring I've seen around (and i've made) is probably not putting enough tension on the dough when shaping it. If you aren't shaping somewhat like the video at the top here then try it out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

acidia posted:

Wow, it worked in a crockpot.

-1 1/2 cups of water
-yeast
-3/4 tsp salt
-3 1/2 cups of flour
-1 egg
-2 tbsp sugar
-oil to grease the pot

Let it rise for 2 hours on the warm setting, flipped it to high for 2 1/2 hours... done. It is a little moist since I cooked it with the lid on the entire time but other than that it is a perfectly fine (if ugly) loaf to make sandwiches out of.

Nice! So long as it tastes good then it doesn't matter how it looks.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

twoot posted:

My loaves had a ton of oven spring. The day I baked those my kitchen was very warm from cooking other things, so possibly my batch proved more than I let on in the post. When I put them in, the dough was just about creeping over the edge of the pans, maybe rose above the pan by ~2inches at the top. I'd say that my loaves were probably almost verging on over-proved (started to get non-uniform bubbles in the centre).

The biggest mistake for lack of spring I've seen around (and i've made) is probably not putting enough tension on the dough when shaping it. If you aren't shaping somewhat like the video at the top here then try it out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636

I suppose that's it then, because I'm usually far more gentle in punching it down after the first rise. Thanks for the video; I'll try that next time.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Made some ciabatta

I really wish I knew how to get that super holey crumb, still tastes good though.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

yoshesque posted:

Made some ciabatta

I really wish I knew how to get that super holey crumb, still tastes good though.

I found using a poolish or biga to be essential to that super open crumb.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Short version: To get a more open crumb, increase the hydration of your dough. At least 70% but even higher if you can (if you take the weight of the water in your recipe and divide it by the weight of flour in your recipe, it should be .7 or higher). To get more structure in a really wet dough, you'll want to do stretch and folds instead of any sort of regular kneading technique.

Longer version:

The holes in bread result from CO2 gas (from the yeast activity) expanding air pockets in your dough. You want to preserve these air pockets in your dough throughout your bread making process to achieve bread with holes. To do this you want:

1. Wetter dough: Wetter doughs are less dense, which helps the CO2 diffuse throughout the dough to reach those air pockets. Those air pockets can expand more easily in a wetter dough

2. Sufficient gluten formation: You need the air pockets to be able to expand and contain the CO2 that is created, both during the fermentation process and during the baking process. The gluten network within the dough is what allows this to happen. Sufficient kneading (or stretch and folds with a dough too wet to knead) is part of this and time helps too, especially if you have a wetter dough that is more difficult to knead, and as a bonus the time also develops more flavors in the dough. If you do a slower rise in the fridge, make sure you decrease the amount of yeast you use though.

3. To preserve and redistribute air pockets: Handle your dough gently so that you are not losing those air pockets when you work with it. The stretch and fold is handy here too to help redistribute air pockets (so, for example, you don't get just one large air pocket that all the CO2 builds up in and then it gets too large and more easily bursts) as well as helps to realign your gluten network and strengthen it. Here is a nice video on stretch and fold, you can do this a few times during your primary fermentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1timJlCT3PM

4. Proper proofing and baking: The last step before you bake is to proof your dough, when the last part of the fermentation occurs. You want to bake the bread at the point where the yeast is still active and CO2 production is still expanding those air pockets. With the quick burst of heat at the beginning of baking, those air pockets expand further quickly, becoming even larger, a process called oven spring. Bake too soon and your air pockets will not have expanded sufficiently, bake too late and they tend to deflate.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm using this method here: http://www.breadcetera.com/?p=162, which is 76% hydration, but uses a stand mixer as opposed to the stretch and fold (I'm lazy!)

I suspect my two problems was knocking out air when I turned out the dough and probably not proofing for long enough. As far as shaping ciabatta goes it's just "kinda plump it into the right shape", right? The oven spring I get for this recipe is always great, though, compared to other breads I make. I'm going to try this again next weekend and see if I can't get better results.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
How warm is your kitchen? There's very little yeast in that recipe, if your kitchen is cooler, increase the yeast or ferment longer. It may not completely double as such a wet dough but do make sure it has fermented long enough, either with more time or more yeast. Add some stretch and folds during the fermentation process. If you're knocking out air when handling the dough, you can help that by strengthening the gluten network to hold that air in as well as redistribute the gasses within the dough, as you don't want just one big air bubble, you want them throughout the dough.

Then when you shape it, giving it a bit of structure and surface tension will better help hold in the gasses. Just a loose fold like you're folding a piece of paper to fit into letter sized envelope to form the dough into a loose oblong shape, and then as with the fermentation, make sure you have given it enough time to proof, but not too long.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Oh man I made a modified Tartine bread the other day, I loving love that formula. I have problems with shaping, especially into things other than boules, but when you get it right, it's so good - mine has a really nice parmesan-sharp cheddar aroma to it, it really reminds me of Cheez-its, actually, they have this mild sort of salty tang to them. I do kind of hate how most it is though, because maybe my knife isn't sharp enough to effectively cut the crust once it has cooled off--it becomes a bit leathery, and I have to let the bread stale enough to cut it without getting wonky but I think that's the point of Tartine's high hydration. It does make it really good for toast! The inside is light and fluffy and the outside is crispy and flaky.

I posted these to another bread forum but I love how the bread turns out so I'm posting them here, too.

Could someone explain to me what autolysing is actually doing, though? Why do recipes call for it - I read that "it develops the gluten so you don't have to knead as much" but I haven't seen any drastically different results when I try it versus when I don't. I try it every now and then, using all the flour and water called for in the recipe, but then the next day the autolysed flour and water might be kind of tough, or too cohesive to effectively fold in or mix in the starter or levain (this may have been one recipe I was using which was kind of low hydration and relying on soaked seeds and starter for the rest of it). I've started doing this thing where I autolyse an equal amount of water to however much whole grain flour I'm using, and then add that to the rest of the flour and water alongside the starter, but I don't know if it's actually doing anything to my breads.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 22, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Ishamael posted:

Posted this in the What Did You Cook thread before realizing there is a whole thread about bread!

Made my first no-knead bread, holy poo poo it was so easy. And it came out way better than the more time-consuming bread recipes I usually use. No-knead is my new bread! Crunchy crust and chewy inside, great flavor. All around thumbs up. (I used the King Arthur recipe)

Anyhow I am a no-knead convert now and my house smells like heaven.

Holy poo poo this! I've played around with gluten and such in sourdough recipes with a hard knead. But none of it compares to the no-knead autolysis bread I just popped out using the Ken Forkish fold method.

Flour, water, yeast, and salt with a whole lotta rising time and temp control = amazing simple bread.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

The weekly bake! 2 sourdoughs and 24 dinner rolls. It's a well oiled machine now!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Any thoughts on shipping bread to friends/family? I'm still new to the bread game, but I'm thinking about my options...

1. Adding a preservative to give it another day or 2 of shelf life
2. Sourdough (which i guess is basically option 1)
3. Sending frozen bread (with dry ice)
4. Sending froze, parbaked bread
5. Just sending the bread USPS overnight after baking it the same morning

SoulChicken posted:

The weekly bake! 2 sourdoughs and 24 dinner rolls. It's a well oiled machine now!

That looks rad. I dunno if I'll ever get into a routine, since my meal pattern changes so often---but this kinda makes me wish I could

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Would anybody care to share their favorite recipes for kalamata olive bread? I bought a loaf from the bakery last weekend and it's already half gone, I need more of this in my life immediately.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have just learned how to make pretzel rolls. ohgod. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

exquisite tea posted:

Would anybody care to share their favorite recipes for kalamata olive bread? I bought a loaf from the bakery last weekend and it's already half gone, I need more of this in my life immediately.

My favourite kalamata bread is a reliable no-knead with the olives added when you do the initial mix. Tastiest olive bread I've ever had in my life.