Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Len posted:

I'm on chapter 14 right now and I've wanted the game to be over for awhile. Other than all the things I read about this game doing it's just an average shooter. And there's only so many times "You are a good person." can pop up before I don't give any fucks and just wished it gave better checkpoints.

Yeah, Spec Ops is a game that tries to guilt-trip you for playing and enjoying it. If you go in knowing it's going to do that, obviously you don't care, which neuters the best part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sleeveless posted:

I thought most of the FMV in Alan Wake was pretty weak but having the guy who played Max Payne in the first game as a guest on the talk show was pretty funny.

Sam Lake / Sami Järvi was also the lead writer of both Max Payne and Alan Wake, they used his face (alongside the faces of the rest of the dev team and their friends and family) simply due to budget reasons. Which is also why they went for comic book panels instead of cutscenes, both which ended up being things the game is remembered for today.

On a related note, in MP2 there is a hidden memorial for a guy who I believe was a friend of someone in the dev team and who died shortly before the game was released. Always found it a cool "secret".

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

The moment this song starts playing in Deadly Premonition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tclfNCXLL00

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Crane Fist posted:

So I've been obsessively playing Sunless Sea and I think my favourite thing so far is Visage, and when you get there you'll understand

Hell yeah. Visage is great because it is so self-contained. The other islands spit you out halfway through their storylines so that you can go across the map to buy some candles or whatever, and I am not really a fan.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing a fair bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 recently to scratch the itch. Whenever you complete a scenario, all the peeps will stop what they're doing and turn to give a round of applause toward the screen. If you unlocked balloon stalls and peeps are walking around with balloons, they'll release them to give applause. You can then go to town clicking on all the floating balloons to pop them, which is way more satisfying than it should be.

vvv This too. I'm sure everyone remembers the helicopter in SimCity 2000 too. Clicking things in building simulation games is my favourite little thing. :allears:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Mar 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jehde posted:

I've been playing a fair bit of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 recently to scratch the itch. Whenever you complete a scenario, all the peeps will stop what they're doing and turn to give a round of applause toward the screen. If you unlocked balloon stalls and peeps are walking around with balloons, they'll release them to give applause. You can then go to town clicking on all the floating balloons to pop them, which is way more satisfying than it should be.

Ducks can be clicked. They are adorable.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jehde posted:

vvv This too. I'm sure everyone remembers the helicopter in SimCity 2000 too. Clicking things in building simulation games is my favourite little thing. :allears
:
I like how that could actually start fires :allears:

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I like Kerbal Space Program, it is a lot more fun than a NASA simulator should be. This is the best loading screen:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
One of my favorite thing in games, especially RPGs and sadly it doesn't happen that often but when you're on your way to face the final boss or are facing the final boss and then it cuts to every single important NPC you met throughout the game praying for your and yours safe return and the prayers somehow reach you and empower you enough to decisively beat the final boss. It is loving fantastic.
Off the top of my head I can think of three games that do that; Paper Mario, Okami and of course, Earthbound.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Jehde posted:

They do this in RCT1 as well. My favorite thing was to frequently change the colors of the balloons so you'd get a rainbow when you won.

You could also name a guest "Chris Sawyer" after the designer and that guy would go around taking pictures.

I also remember making jails for angry guests who complained too much. Raise a single plot of land high into the sky, stick fences around it, place him there for the remainder of the game.

RCT was so good

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Calaveron posted:

Off the top of my head I can think of three games that do that; Paper Mario, Okami and of course, Earthbound.

Final Fantasy II / IV does as well and it's awesome

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Febreeze posted:

They do this in RCT1 as well. My favorite thing was to frequently change the colors of the balloons so you'd get a rainbow when you won.

Actually what I've been doing is putting balloon stalls near the exits of rollercoasters, then making the balloon colour the same as the rollercoaster. That way whenever I look at the crowd I can get a gist of what rides are popular.

The upcoming RCT game makes me sad because Chris Sawyer isn't involved in it in any way. :saddowns:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 22, 2015

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

Actually what I've been doing is putting balloon stalls near the exits of rollercoasters, then making the balloon colour the same as the rollercoaster. That way whenever I look at the crowd I can get a gist of what rides are popular.

The upcoming RCT game makes me sad because Chris Sawyer isn't involved in it in any way. :saddowns:

hahaha what? Why? RCT has tons of ways to research what rides are popular. You can specifically view how much money it makes, how many people ride it and how often, how many times people reride it, etc. Christ you can even read people people's thoughts about it!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah there's multiple different windows that can give you ride popularity that are all on instant hotkeys. I just like to do it for the sake of visualizing it and making the park pretty.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jehde posted:

making the park pretty.

That's the entire game, right?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well, half the game. The other half is making pretty rollercoasters. :v:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Jehde posted:

While I remain hopefully optimistic, the theme park sim I'm looking forward to is Paritect. It seems like it's just RCT in Unity, but competent enough to be enjoyable.

SomeJazzyRat has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Mar 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Eh, Chris Sawyer sounded like the gooniest grognard in how he absolutely hated sandboxes. 3 was the best game because it had the best sandbox.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Quote is not edit.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

While I remain hopefully optimistic, the theme park sim I'm looking forward to is Paritect. It seems like it's just RCT in Unity, but competent enough to be enjoyable.

Bit of a silly name, but it looks like they actually "get it." Thanks for the heads up!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ducks can be clicked. They are adorable.

Can you pop them too? 'Cause that would be awesome.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

MrJacobs posted:

Can you pop them too? 'Cause that would be awesome.

You're a monster. Also, I need to play RCT: the I only had Theme Park as a kid.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I know it got a lot of hate and contributed a lot to the game's bad-to-mediocre reviews, but I'm playing through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days right now and I really love the shakycam thing it's got going on, like so (it's a lot more noticeable when actually playing rather than just watching, though). The gameplay itself is kinda standard third-person shooter fare but the camera gimmick reminds me a lot of Children of Men and makes everything a lot more intense and gritty than it would have with standard camera work. It fits the game's dark and nasty tone, gives the whole game a dirty, ugly feel, like it was recorded on a handheld phone by someone following the protagonists around to upload it to some shady Russian snuff-vid website.

And I've heard a lot of people complain also about the mosaic-blur effect when shooting someone in the head either at close range or with a high-caliber weapon, but I liked that, too. Not only did it add to the grimy found-footage feel but blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having them writhe around on the ground shrieking in agony while their head is behind a pixelated censor just seems so much more gruesome than anything they could have actually shown.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

TheKennedys posted:

Late, but holy poo poo, I forgot about Emperor. :allears: I have Zeus/Poseidon, Pharaoh/Cleopatra and of course Caesar III from GOG, but Emperor isn't on GOG or legit digital download anywhere at all, that sucks rear end. I don't have an optical drive anymore or I'd try and dig up a physical copy, because goddamn I want to play that again now.

As a side note, Children of the Nile was a pretty drat good spiritual sequel to Pharaoh without all the MOTHERFUCKING BAZAAR BITCH STOP GOING--NO BITCH GO DOWN THE ROAD WITH THE HOUSES HOLY poo poo WHAT DO I PAY YOU FOR of the Impressions games.

edit: is it still :filez: if it's a 15-year-old game? oh well, point taken
Yea I'm in the same boat! But I think legally since you own the disc files is OK. I could be wrong.

Edit content: a little thing I love about wasteland 2 is how you have multiple opportunities to open a door or chest. Can't lock pick it? Kick it open! Broke the lock? Fix it than pick it again! I like that you can also break down weapons into parts to sell. It helps with loot management.

Zig-Zag has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Mar 23, 2015

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer has a mission where you're breaking into somebody's mansion when suddenly armed goons show up! One of the rooms has a huge tv and video game consoles set up with pizza boxes lying around. If you watch the 2 guards in the room for long enough, one of them actually turns the game on and starts playing Dead Space. Even cooler, if you distract the guy playing with a noise or letting him think he's spot you, if you go check the TV again you'll see he paused the game before coming to look for you

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fallingdownjoe posted:

You're a monster. Also, I need to play RCT: the I only had Theme Park as a kid.

It's definitely worth getting. Even the first one hasn't aged a goddamn day, I swear it's just as good now as when I first played it (oh my god that game is old enough to drive I am old)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah RCT's timelessness is part of why I've been playing so much of it lately. Both 1 and 2 showed up on Steam recently too, with all their expansion packs included. RCT1 Deluxe is only $6. :eyepop:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

And I've heard a lot of people complain also about the mosaic-blur effect when shooting someone in the head either at close range or with a high-caliber weapon, but I liked that, too. Not only did it add to the grimy found-footage feel but blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having them writhe around on the ground shrieking in agony while their head is behind a pixelated censor just seems so much more gruesome than anything they could have actually shown.

That's awesome(?) That's literally horrifying

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something I thought was kinda funny about Kane and Lynch 2 is that a common complaint about the titular characters is that they're really just fuckup assholes who ruin everything they come in contact with, and the second game pretty much serves as a testament to the devs going "yeah no poo poo". It's not a very fun game to play but in a weird way it's endearing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Calaveron posted:

One of my favorite thing in games, especially RPGs and sadly it doesn't happen that often but when you're on your way to face the final boss or are facing the final boss and then it cuts to every single important NPC you met throughout the game praying for your and yours safe return and the prayers somehow reach you and empower you enough to decisively beat the final boss. It is loving fantastic.

Persona 3 and 4 did that, though only the people you had maxed social links would appear.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Captain McStabbin posted:

Persona 3 and 4 did that, though only the people you had maxed social links would appear.

Although the most hilariously awful thing they did in the Personal 4 re-release is that they added new social link character with her own sidequest.
In the original game, the last social link character you'd see with everyone praying for you would be Nanako, your adorable young cousin who you've saved the life of and is just generally one of the better voiced and written child characters in video games who you've probably come to care about.

The re-release puts the new character immediately after her, as if she's more important.
People were unhappy.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In the mobile game Love Live! School Idol Festival, while playing a song, as you play and your combo passes multiples of 100, you get more elaborate twinkle effects in the background. The thing is, the circles you tap to the rhythm of the music emanate from a center point and travel to nine circles, where you try to tap the moving circles as they overlap with the stationary ones. Little thing I like: the twinkles in the area where the notes are traveling are not as bright as the twinkles outside of the area where notes travel, making them less distracting.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Diablo (the original) really has a different atmosphere from the other two. It's like Dark Souls, in a way. Full of despair and misery in a way that's really engaging.

StabMasterArson posted:

Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer has a mission where you're breaking into somebody's mansion when suddenly armed goons show up! One of the rooms has a huge tv and video game consoles set up with pizza boxes lying around. If you watch the 2 guards in the room for long enough, one of them actually turns the game on and starts playing Dead Space. Even cooler, if you distract the guy playing with a noise or letting him think he's spot you, if you go check the TV again you'll see he paused the game before coming to look for you

It has singleplayer?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I know it got a lot of hate and contributed a lot to the game's bad-to-mediocre reviews, but I'm playing through Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days right now and I really love the shakycam thing it's got going on, like so (it's a lot more noticeable when actually playing rather than just watching, though). The gameplay itself is kinda standard third-person shooter fare but the camera gimmick reminds me a lot of Children of Men and makes everything a lot more intense and gritty than it would have with standard camera work. It fits the game's dark and nasty tone, gives the whole game a dirty, ugly feel, like it was recorded on a handheld phone by someone following the protagonists around to upload it to some shady Russian snuff-vid website.

It'd have worked really well in nearly any other game than Kane and Lynch 2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Febreeze posted:

You could also name a guest "Chris Sawyer" after the designer and that guy would go around taking pictures.

There were several names for each game, with each different name having a different effect.

RCT 1 & 2 posted:

¡Andy Hine - Thinks "Nice ride! But not as nice as the Phoenix..." after leaving a roller coaster
¡Chris Sawyer - Takes pictures frequently while navigating the park
¡Damon Hill - Rides all Go Karts four times as fast
¡Elissa White - Thinks "Brilliant...it's an Intamin Ride," when on any ride made by Intamin (Giga Coaster, Inverted Impulse Coaster, etc.) (RCT2 Exclusive)
¡John Wardley - Thinks "Wow!" often
¡Katie Brayshaw - Waves occasionally
¡Melanie Warn - Sets the guest's Happiness to almst maximum, give them full energy, and removes nausea upon renaming
¡Michael Schumacher - Rides all Go Karts twice as fast
¡Mr Bean - Rides all Go Karts at 3 km/h
¡Simon Foster - Paints occasionally

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 posted:

Base Game
¡Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Fully trains all staff at no cost (Although wages will increase)
¡FPS - Displays a Frames Per Second counter
¡Ghost Town - Will stop the flow of peeps coming into your park. This cheat is irreversible and requires the game to be restarted in order to lose the effect
¡Andrew Thomas - Decreases track friction, which can make coasters go faster along their tracks
¡Andrew Gillett - Sets track friction to 0. (In some scenarios, this cheat raises your park value slightly)
¡David Braben - Allows the player to raise the launch and lift chain speeds for Roller Coasters and drop towers to unlimited speeds
¡John D Rockefeller - Adds $10,000 to your cash
¡Atari - Peeps applaud you
¡Chris Sawyer - Peeps applaud you and leap into the air.
¡Mouse - Peeps' heads swivel to follow the mouse cursor
¡Guido Fawkes- Enables the Advanced Fireworks Editor in the fireworks menu
¡James Hunt - A driveable dune buggy is spawned
¡D Lean - Opens the Flying Camera routes editor (Also accessible via SHIFT+0)
¡A Hitchcock - Many ducks spawn flying around the map
¡PhotoStory - Peeps take photos of park landmarks
¡ATITech - Every entity moves super fast for twenty seconds (In-game clock stays at a normal speed)
¡Make Me Sick - All peeps become sick and vomit simultaneously
¡John Wardley - No limit to track heights for various rides
¡Frontier - Park attractions no longer break down
¡Jon Roach - Makes every peep ride every ride at least once before exiting the park
¡Sam Denney - Makes every peep ride every coaster at least once before exiting the park
¡Atomic - Explosions have a much more powerful effect
¡Elissa White: Whenever a female adult peep named this enters a queue for a Giga Coaster or Impulse Coaster, she says, "I'm so excited - it's an Intamin ride!"
¡Jonny Watts - Enables a first-person view for the renamed peep

Soaked
¡M Brookes - Enables you to place wall pieces and other scenery items on the edge of path tiles
¡Alistair Lindsay - Alters the speed at which some sound effects are played at.
¡Rick Griffiths - Changes the walls and ceiling of tunnels to a shark texture
¡Mornington Crescent - Enables you to build shops and more underground
¡David Walsh - Hides the user interface (CTRL+U to re-enable the UI)

Wild
¡Rabbit - Animals breed at an increased rate
¡Alvin Swazonegger - Allows large billboard movies
¡Jurassic Dart - Helicopter shoots miniature dinosaurs instead of tranquilizer darts.

Also, anyone who says they never built a looping coaster and deliberately set it up to crash is a liar.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Calaveron posted:

I went on about how well Bravely Default does this earlier in the thread, but your prayers for help come from the games of other people you've interacted with via wireless/internet features. You see what sort of team they were running, and each vision has a different array of NPCs around them, so it all comes out as a really great rendition of this.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I went on about how well Bravely Default does this earlier in the thread, but your prayers for help come from the games of other people you've interacted with via wireless/internet features. You see what sort of team they were running, and each vision has a different array of NPCs around them, so it all comes out as a really great rendition of this.

...What happens if you're a total hermit then? I hope it just cuts to a empty screen.

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition lately.I have no idea if this was in the original game but I noticed if you jiggle your stick around while talking to someone (ex: one of the favor people) Wei Shen will flail his head around wildly. It makes the early game's extortion sequence really really funny.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Mar 23, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Anyone who's played a lot of RCT will recognize stock sounds of people cheering/laughing/screaming from tons of different places

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord Lambeth posted:

...What happens if you're a total hermit then? I hope it just cuts to a empty screen.

I believe it calls up about five or six people. Chances are pretty decent that at least one of them will be one of the two AI Friends that the game gives you as a just-in-case summon (which is also a pretty neat little thing for the game; if for some reason you can't use that feature, everyone gets pretty useful AI 'players' to summon anyway), but if it can't find someone to refer to then it will just say 'Someone's World' instead of an actual name, with everyone in their default clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

The re-release puts the new character immediately after her, as if she's more important.
People were unhappy.

People were unhappy with Marie the second she was revealed. She could have literally shown up and had no content aside from being a model in the game and people would have been unhappy.