Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

ravenkult posted:

It's not really a viable strategy. Try some of the semi pro magazines instead, some of them have good cred. Most of the royalty/no pay markets are poo poo and all editors know this.

Cool thanks for the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yeah...if your story is good enough it will get published by a better magazine regardless of your "chops," so just focus on writing something good :)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Correct words from correct people. Always start from the top.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
You should realistically be able to get into at least a token payment magazine.

But hey I one time submitted to a non paying place and got on the cover, as a half-favour to a friend. But it was one of the less notable things I have done.

Duotrope handily lets you sort by paying market.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

This is my list of good markets, not always well paying, but largely respected. Some might be temporary closed, but I removed the defunct ones (RIP Shock Totem).

Nightmare
Lightspeed
Black Static
Shimmer
3LBE
Jamais Vu
The Dark
Fictionvale
Pseudopod (audio, takes reprints)
Apex
Interzone
Crowded
EVP
Clarkesworld
Lamplight
BCS
Strange Horizons

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

ravenkult posted:

This is my list of good markets, not always well paying, but largely respected. Some might be temporary closed, but I removed the defunct ones (RIP Shock Totem).

Nightmare
Lightspeed
Black Static
Shimmer
3LBE
Jamais Vu
The Dark
Fictionvale
Pseudopod (audio, takes reprints)
Apex
Interzone
Crowded
EVP
Clarkesworld
Lamplight
BCS
Strange Horizons

Awesome list.

I hadn't realised Shock Totem had closed. That's a real shame. I got rejected from there once but it was real nice publication.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Let's talk drafts!

Personally I play around depending on the story. If I feel like I have a good handle on something early on then my drafts usually just consist of revisions and editing until I feel like it's done (My final draft is usually reserved for clearing up mistakes and streamlining). If I feel something is getting muddled then I usually do a complete re-write on my third draft. It's surprisingly easy because you tend to retain most of it in your head, it just comes out clearer. Those lines you loved in the first/second drafts tend to come out again and anything that doesn't probably wasn't worth remembering anyway.

I have a friend who edits as they go along which just seems incredibly time consuming to me, particularly when you're working on a first draft. So, what's everyone's method of choice?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DrVenkman posted:

Let's talk drafts!

Personally I play around depending on the story. If I feel like I have a good handle on something early on then my drafts usually just consist of revisions and editing until I feel like it's done (My final draft is usually reserved for clearing up mistakes and streamlining). If I feel something is getting muddled then I usually do a complete re-write on my third draft. It's surprisingly easy because you tend to retain most of it in your head, it just comes out clearer. Those lines you loved in the first/second drafts tend to come out again and anything that doesn't probably wasn't worth remembering anyway.

I have a friend who edits as they go along which just seems incredibly time consuming to me, particularly when you're working on a first draft. So, what's everyone's method of choice?
I edit as I go in a last minute frenzy, which means I end up with solid first drafts but find it very hard to go back and completely rework stuff. I wouldn't say it's slow though, most of my ~1k word dome stories take around an hour to write.

For people like me, I recommend setting some kind of deadline a day or so before the actual deadline so you get to look at it with fresh eyes. Invariably there will be story stubs and things you thought needed explaining but actually don't.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

sebmojo posted:

I edit as I go in a last minute frenzy, which means I end up with solid first drafts but find it very hard to go back and completely rework stuff. I wouldn't say it's slow though, most of my ~1k word dome stories take around an hour to write.

For people like me, I recommend setting some kind of deadline a day or so before the actual deadline so you get to look at it with fresh eyes. Invariably there will be story stubs and things you thought needed explaining but actually don't.

Jesus, I'm the opposite of this, I can barely get down 250 words a day and them I'm still not happy with them. Do you generally spend the week planning things out, or how do you get to that point?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
1st draft: have an idea, just write it all down. i always have a beginning and ending when i sit down to write.
2nd draft: change order of events, delete anything useless, add anything that might need elaboration (in this order)
3rd/final draft: polish that turd, boy

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I generally have trouble seeing issues with order when I'm editing. I'm fine with cutting, adding, rewriting, tweaking wording, but it's just really hard for me to see when things should be moved around.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
My first drafts are barely an outline. I almost call them draft zero, because it's just me sloppily sketching out the scene. In the next draft, the proper first draft, I flesh out the scene and dress it in flowing verbiage, finally confident in knowing what the gently caress needs to be said. I go over and over those words until they take a firm shape.

Then I let it lay a while as I work on other things. I don't look at it for days, maybe weeks depending on whether or not I have a near deadline. When I come back to it, I pick the bad poo poo out and mull over whether I need to cut, refine, or rewrite. I start with the bigger structure and work my way inward, until I find myself killing stupid darlings and rubbing out cliches.

At this point my poo poo is polished enough to get another pair of eyes on. I might pass it onto a first reader at this point, but it's more for encouragement than anything because I usually have a lot more poo poo to write before the story is done. Every scene or chapter spools out in a continuous fabric, one layered over another until I've reached the ending.

I might pass it onto beta readers as soon as it's finished, knowing they'll take a while to read it and rip it apart. I'll throw it down in disgust for a while, for a novel perhaps months to a year. I'm in no hurry. I'll work on other stories, until I'm ready to tackle the old thing that's waiting to be stitched back together or entirely rewritten.

My first drafts are a hot mess because I feel my way into stories. I don't outline because it"s more important to find my character's voice, to learn what he or she wants and how they're going to get it, among all the things that hold them back and piss them off. I've learned how to follow them. gently caress plotting. gently caress trying to draw a road map and shoving them along it, because that makes them clam up and dance like wooden puppets. I can feel the pulp in my mouth as I read back such stilted, souless poo poo. Instead I give them a destination and let them get there on their own, stumbling and shambling along the way. When you have a character--a real loving character--you can follow them anywhere. I find the plot in what they've already done, and only later try to cobble it into something sensible.

Then I line edit, I guess. gently caress if I know.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 22, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuschia tude posted:

Jesus, I'm the opposite of this, I can barely get down 250 words a day and them I'm still not happy with them. Do you generally spend the week planning things out, or how do you get to that point?

I can't write without a deadline so close i can feel its breath on my neck, unfortunately, so i've had to learn to work fast. And though it makes me look all cool and stuff with flash fiction i can poo poo out in an hour, it's no help when i want to write something longer.

But i do try and find a sense of what it might look like during the week while walking to work or w/e. Normally i think of the most dumb obvious version of a story then change the parts a bit at a time until it starts to look interesting then i write it to find out what happens.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

Yeah...if your story is good enough it will get published by a better magazine regardless of your "chops," so just focus on writing something good :)
Ok this is just straight up false. Not to discourage anyone but "quality" of story is super nebulous, and at best a tertiary concern after your industry connections/name and whether the editorial staff of said journal shares your aesthetic.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I'm fairly prolific. 2k-3k words in a sitting is easy enough for me provided I can get myself to sit for it.

They are generally of pretty low quality, though. So while I can (and have) written the first draft of a novel in a short few months, the revision takes 3 to 4 times longer. Again, if I can get myself to do it at all :(

EDIT: Also by the end of the first draft I loving loathe everything I have written, am writing, and will write. It's a serious demotivator.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Defenestration posted:

Ok this is just straight up false. Not to discourage anyone but "quality" of story is super nebulous, and at best a tertiary concern after your industry connections/name and whether the editorial staff of said journal shares your aesthetic.

I don't think this is true at all. I hope I don't sound like I'm dick-waving when I ask where you've been published? This hasn't been my experience with any of the major SF/F markets except Tor.com, where being a Tor author is the #1 qualification.

Now, as for getting anyone to read the story once it's out, that's pretty much a matter of industry connections. :v:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I don't think this is true at all. I hope I don't sound like I'm dick-waving when I ask where you've been published? This hasn't been my experience with any of the major SF/F markets except Tor.com, where being a Tor author is the #1 qualification.

Now, as for getting anyone to read the story once it's out, that's pretty much a matter of industry connections. :v:
I'd rather not say where but it's not the SF/F market so there's that.

I've been in a handful of lit journals/online publishers of varying recognizability. And I've read slush for my grad school journal and for a literary agent.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

General Battuta posted:

It kinda helps to get you past the slushers at some places (like, a sale at CW is almost guaranteed to get you past the slushers at CW next time, unless your story really sucks).

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Stuporstar posted:

When you have a character--a real loving character--you can follow them anywhere.

Even into a romance with a prison toilet. ;)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Defenestration posted:

I'd rather not say where but it's not the SF/F market so there's that.

I've been in a handful of lit journals/online publishers of varying recognizability. And I've read slush for my grad school journal and for a literary agent.

Oh, yeah, I'll believe you on that. Aren't most of the straight lit markets non-paying, too?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Martello posted:

Even into a romance with a prison toilet. ;)

:getin:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
frig frig frig i tried to ninja edit because somehow there was an extra space between one of the lines after i copy pasted it

unreal

should have hit post preview. i looked over that thing for typos so many times

how does it work do i get disqualified or just judged extra harshly?

take the moon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Recently I picked up the Discworld series on audiobook, and I'm simply struck by how beautifully Pratchett ties his setting in with the story. He goes on for pages about the Discworld and its cosmology, and he manages to keep it somewhat interesting and -- this is what hooks me -- pertinent to the narrative.

A lot of stories try to show massive, detailed settings that have jack to do with what's going on; they spend pages upon pages building up this huge, fantastical world only to tell a the same stories everyone's heard before. I know I'm guilty of this, and I don't think I'd be wrong to assume many others in this thread are as well. It's natural to want to create an expansive, interesting setting to draw in the reader, but if you're at all like me, you fall back on the same old tropes in lieu of creating a story to go with this new world.

That isn't to say Pratchett's perfect, of course. A few years ago I put down The Colour of Magic because it bored me, and I really only got into his work once I got the audiobooks to listen to at work -- Nigel Planer's fantastic performance was a huge boost, I think. It hurt when I found out Pratchett had recently passed away -- I feel like I'd missed out on something great.

Also of note, I found out that Robert Lynn Asprin -- my late father's favorite author, writer of the Myth Adventures series -- passed away reading a Terry Pratchett book.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

A lot of stories try to show massive, detailed settings that have jack to do with what's going on; they spend pages upon pages building up this huge, fantastical world only to tell a the same stories everyone's heard before. I know I'm guilty of this, and I don't think I'd be wrong to assume many others in this thread are as well. It's natural to want to create an expansive, interesting setting to draw in the reader, but if you're at all like me, you fall back on the same old tropes in lieu of creating a story to go with this new world.

I'm a big fan of the total opposite, drip-feeding relevant background and setting and letting the rest just speak for itself through the observations and voices of the characters. Some of my favourite science fiction doesn't ever need to explain anything, it just sticks to the characters like glue and only contextualizes when the reader needs it to make sense of the characters' actions. Even better than that is something perhaps best referred to as minimalist exposition, when an author simply drops in a term or idea and lets context do all the work, sometimes leaving gaps or room for the reader to wonder, which works extremely well in certain kinds of stories. I wound up trying to do a variant of this for years without realising it at first, trying to write 'urban fantasy' but without any explanations or standard ISO compliant fantasy creatures or secret societies or really anything except the characters and their perceptions.

But this is all personal taste. Pratchett is a master of the opposite technique, and despite my usual distaste for it I love his books. I think pulling it off requires exactly the matching of setting and story you mentioned.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I'm trying to cut back on the unnecessary details myself -- thanks Thunderdome! -- but some writers like Pratchett can make overwhelming detail work. For example, I constantly fought the urge to skip past the excessive descriptions of the Wyrmburg in The Color of Magic, but those descriptions paid off -- Pratchett used every set piece to great effect.

I don't think I could ever pull that off, though. To use an awful architectural metaphor, I need to focus less on what color to make the drapes and more on making sure the house has four walls and a roof.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Ancient Blades posted:

frig frig frig i tried to ninja edit because somehow there was an extra space between one of the lines after i copy pasted it

unreal

should have hit post preview. i looked over that thing for typos so many times

how does it work do i get disqualified or just judged extra harshly?

Interesting....

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
mhm it was extreme autism i just couldnt deal with that extra line (between separate paragraphs too) messing me up. i looked over that story a bunch of times before submitting it and just wanted it to look nice i guess

ill happily accept any fallout

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Ancient Blades posted:

ill happily accept any fallout

I'd prefer you accept it by cringing miserably

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
oh overlords i prostrate myself before you any misery you might inflict on me would be an improvement to my wretched existence

is there like some sort of flash test i can do to prove myself

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ancient Blades posted:

oh overlords i prostrate myself before you any misery you might inflict on me would be an improvement to my wretched existence

is there like some sort of flash test i can do to prove myself

ssssh don't talk any more he's trying to trick you (actually serious)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

ssssh don't talk any more he's trying to trick you (actually serious)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
from now on pretend i emptyquote everything sebmojo ever posts so I don't even have to hit the button

thanks everyone

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
if you flash me now i can get it done by midnight :)

tense trouble :/ im gonna learn from this. two dumb stories and i still wont be critted

take the moon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 23, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Recently I picked up the Discworld series on audiobook, and I'm simply struck by how beautifully Pratchett ties his setting in with the story. He goes on for pages about the Discworld and its cosmology, and he manages to keep it somewhat interesting and -- this is what hooks me -- pertinent to the narrative.

That isn't to say Pratchett's perfect, of course. A few years ago I put down The Colour of Magic because it bored me, and I really only got into his work once I got the audiobooks to listen to at work -- Nigel Planer's fantastic performance was a huge boost, I think. It hurt when I found out Pratchett had recently passed away -- I feel like I'd missed out on something great.

Also of note, I found out that Robert Lynn Asprin -- my late father's favorite author, writer of the Myth Adventures series -- passed away reading a Terry Pratchett book.

I'm reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' for the first time and King does a very similar thing to the town in that it's very much a living entity. It's writing to a theme, so while he's actually describing the town and where these people live, he's also including the idea that it's very much part of the story. Not once does it feel like a distraction and it goes way beyond just trying to set a scene. It's kind of amazing what early King was able to do, the man was on fire during that time.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
sorry for the drama guys. ill toxx this week

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

spectres of autism posted:

sorry for the drama guys. ill toxx this week

You're doing fine, dude. PM me if you want to talk about your stories or anything.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Maugrim made it clear to me that my narrative choice of a newspaper article sucked the drama out a huge explosion. I chose the style because it's an economical one and I thought it would've compensated for the low word count. It did but not in the way I expected :( Any tips on how to adapt the style in the future?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 24, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DrVenkman posted:

I'm reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot' for the first time and King does a very similar thing to the town in that it's very much a living entity. It's writing to a theme, so while he's actually describing the town and where these people live, he's also including the idea that it's very much part of the story. Not once does it feel like a distraction and it goes way beyond just trying to set a scene. It's kind of amazing what early King was able to do, the man was on fire during that time.

Stephen King's older work was amazing. Sure, it wasn't great literature by any means -- the man himself once called his work the Big Mac and fries of his genre -- but it was compelling, it was visceral, and it was true. He may have been bloody-nosed and pill-fed to the gates of hell and back, but by god it made his stuff stand out. He may have saved his life by cleaning up -- and good for him for that -- but his work became a shadow of its former self, and the Dark Tower series took a nosedive from a decent, off-beat play on traditional fantasy writing into "what the gently caress is this garbage, why are Doombots throwing Golden Snitches at Roland" territory.

....actually, having re-read that previous, did King really clean up his act, or did that van drive him back into the loving arms of self-medication?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Benny the Snake posted:

Maugrim made it clear to me that my narrative choice of a newspaper article sucked the drama out a huge explosion. I chose the style because it's an economical one and I thought it would've compensated for the low word count. It did but not in the way I expected :( Any tips on how to adapt the style in the future?

i think to do a newspaper article effectively it requires you to be really clever and know a lot of why stories are interesting. When you write in that specific way, you limit yourself highly, since it takes away the agency of the situation and makes it hard for the readers to view the mindset of the characters. We're stuck with the facts, and descriptions are usually left at a minimum in a newspaper article, so you either go two ways - something that is boring but authentically like a newspaper, or add in things that are not in a newspaper, but if your doing that, then why the gently caress are you writing it as if its a newspaper. In short, don't do that and write normally. It may seem like a neat thing to do but 99% of the time it will fail. If you want to say more with less, then read and write more in that style. Dont do gimmicks.

Now that that's out of the way, gimmicks can work, but with a huge caveat: you have to be super loving good at writing. I remember reading a short story that was an acknowledgements page for a book or something, and it was very clever in how it told the story. However, i would never be able to write anything as compelling as that, nor do i think that story was particularly good. It was the gimmick that was interesting. Maybe, once you improve your writing and start feeling like you can limit yourself and write a compelling story, then go for it. But right now, work on improving the basics. That's what I'm trying to do, and i think that's what you should do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thunderdome has taught me that no one will like gimmicks or get subtle twists.

• Locked thread