Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was really easy to make a secondary output work. it was impossible to make it work dynamically

restarting X11 in order to hook up a projector was not a good user experience

if your secondary output worked with the driver to begin with
and even then I remember having to do dumb poo poo like googling my monitor model number to find the specs and therefore the right modeline settings

2004 sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress and whatever dri bullshit you had to deal with for ati cards
patches on patches

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

anything that pulls in mysql on a desktop is poo poo for idiots

doubly so on a server

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

admit it, which one of you is this

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
im the guy asking to gain 10 lbs

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
that isn't how you spell gray.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some great cultural awareness on display from the Linux crew itt

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pointsofdata posted:

some great cultural awareness on display from the Linux crew itt

White people don;t have a culture. I read about it on tumblr.com.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pointsofdata posted:

admit it, which one of you is this

hey how did they get my bank account number

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I am making a VM I am going to keep on a few computers. Basically I am tired of network latency accessing my home machine, and a VPS isn't well suited to what I would use it for. My first idea was to keep my home directory synchronized using insync and my limitless google drive space. Any drawbacks to this super cunning plan?

Edit: My desktop, my laptop, and a third remote computer.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use btsync it owns

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is closed source though :siren:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yeah, also the pricing is in euros.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i mean this

https://www.getsync.com/

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Going with no on the btsync pram. It looks like a killer service 4 sure, but I'm not sure what it can get me that using the gcloud doesn't do a lot cheaper.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

much better :)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it owns, and is magical. i use it to handle backups on all my digitalocean vms

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

do you have puppet scripts for getting MSVC and such installed? those would be interesting to me.

* download windows sdk

* done

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just a friendly reminder that gnome 3 point sixteen is coming out this week and the most ownage desktop environment is about to own even harder gently caress yeah :rock:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

just a friendly reminder that gnome 3 point sixteen is coming out this week and the most ownage desktop environment is about to own even harder gently caress yeah :rock:

they did something weird to the window decorations. firefox and terminal look different from epiphany and nautilis and most things for some reason. see attachment.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the future is apps drawing their own window borders like it's Windows 3.1

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

the future is apps drawing their own window borders like it's Windows 7 or Windows 10 or OSX or Android or iOS

Yeah, basically

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we used to think that visual consistency between programs was something important to strive for. then microsoft and apple both proved that nobody else cares about it, so why should linux

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
kde4's tasks/notifications thing is some weird poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

we used to think that visual consistency between programs was something important to strive for. then microsoft and apple both proved that nobody else cares about it, so why should linux

the market leaders hosed up, so let's uncritically follow their example

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, basically

Windows has the decency to pop up an "Application has stopped responding" dialog box when the window controls stop working.

I can't wait for you chucklefucks to reinvent the thing where a modal dialog box stops the parent window from being movable or resizable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the market leaders hosed up, so let's uncritically follow their example

OS X has had custom decoration controls since day 1. Starting with Snow Leopard, they allowed you to edit the titlebar to rename documents.

Windows did it with Windows Media Player some XP, then Office, and they put back/forward buttons in the bar in explorer in Vista and Windows 7, and then there's also the ribbon UI. Most applications on those platforms implement their own decorations (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Visual Studio, GitHub, Steam).

So, if by "the market leaders hosed up" you mean "a steady and consistent period of experimentation and research for well over a decade, with the vendors leading the pack with their own research and including this in their HIG" , then yes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Windows has the decency to pop up an "Application has stopped responding" dialog box when the window controls stop working.

A feature we have had, and have never removed, since GNOME 2.16. We send a ping to the window upon activation, and if if doesn't respond, we display a dialog about force closing it.

I can't wait for you chucklefucks to reinvent the thing where a modal dialog box stops the parent window from being movable or resizable.

If you use the nested form of gtk_dialog_run, which runs a needed event loop only for that window, then yes, that will happen. If you use the non-nested version where events from the other windows are processed, then resize handles, even client decorated ones, will continue to work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

A feature we have had, and have never removed, since GNOME 2.16. We send a ping to the window upon activation, and if if doesn't respond, we display a dialog about force closing it.
Somewhere along the line you broke it without noticing, so good job all around.

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you use the nested form of gtk_dialog_run, which runs a needed event loop only for that window, then yes, that will happen. If you use the non-nested version where events from the other windows are processed, then resize handles, even client decorated ones, will continue to work.
Well, there's a bug that needs fixing.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the application not responding dialog still works fine ( on my fedora 21 )

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome 3 is visually consistent with itself unlike OSX which had three different widget styles for a while because reasons

there is the light adwaita vs dark adwaita thing i guess but i think it sort of makes sense: light adwaita is nicer for looking at text (yospos gives me hella eyestrain) and dark adwaita is good for looking at pictures (which is why it's used in the movie player and uuuuh i guess the vm app. idk)

if you use another DE's apps and that DE has its own ui style (oh sorry we're being pretentious and calling it ~~***~~~ DESIGN LANGUAGE ~~~***~~~ these days) then yeah it's gonna clash. this will be the case whether GNOME overrides that DE's window decoration style or not. yet another one of those things that greybeards get super mad about but normal people don't really give a poo poo about

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Somewhere along the line you broke it without noticing, so good job all around.

It's never broken for me. In fact, we regularly get complaints from end users about games popping up the dialog to often (uploading textures to the GPU is synchronous in OpenGL and that's why TF2 freezes for a minute when loading a new level). If there was ever a release where it was broken, I'm not aware of it. Would be super happy to investigate if you can give me repro instructions.

Well, there's a bug that needs fixing.

The API is documented as blocking events from other windows and is deprecated. We're not going to change behavior that has existed for well over 10 years in a deprecated function. And if you did, you'd be complaining about GTK+ breaking compatibility instead.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Anyway, there's plenty of inconsistency between applications. Both visual, like icon theme, and UI, like where to put the Preferences window in the menus and button order in dialogs (OK, Cancel vs. Cancel, OK)

I don't understand why everybody gets upset at the frames when the other two are much more jarring to me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's never broken for me. In fact, we regularly get complaints from end users about games popping up the dialog to often (uploading textures to the GPU is synchronous in OpenGL and that's why TF2 freezes for a minute when loading a new level). If there was ever a release where it was broken, I'm not aware of it. Would be super happy to investigate if you can give me repro instructions.

start a Glorious App of the Future (e.g. Evince) from a terminal.
press Ctrl-Z.
click in the window, especially the X button.

compare with a Horrible App of the Past (e.g. Sound Juicer), where clicking the X button gives you a Not Responding dialog a few seconds later.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 11, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

start a Glorious App of the Future (e.g. Evince) from a terminal.
press Ctrl-Z.
click in the window, especially the X button.

compare with a Horrible App of the Past (e.g. Sound Juicer), where clicking the X button gives you a Not Responding dialog a few seconds later.

Followed your instructions, got

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
custom titlebars are good, just look at chrome on linux VS knockoff chrome (firefox)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

whats the best desktop linux???

pram
Jun 10, 2001
PC-BSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

minix with netbsd userland