Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is making ridiculous awesome apocalypse-tanks still as easy as it used to be? I remember that being one of the main draws of this game back when I played it. Seem to recall someone making a heavily-armored monstrosity that was covered in spikes and had a top speed of like 280 MPH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i havent built a tank yet but basic cars and bikes are really easy to build if you can find a torch lying around somewhere

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did the game get some kind of crazy update recently? I could totally get behind making a hippie survivalist post-apocalypse bike messenger character.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they added a lot of new items and recipes. also a tailoring kit that lets you reinforce any item of clothing with kevlar and leather without any other drawback than being a huge resource sink

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i think its really really entertaining how they sometimes talk about this game and realism in the same sentence over on the cdda forums

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Really? Because I've worn out weapons with pretty high skill. Never mind the effects of acid and such.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

i think its really really entertaining how they sometimes talk about this game and realism in the same sentence over on the cdda forums

It's basically a Mallninja Fantasy Simulator, of course you're going to have people talking about how 'realistic' is. Believing that there is a scenario in which it might actually be plausible and realistic for the pasty-faced nerd who goes outside once every couple of weeks to turn into THE ULTIMATE BADASS with MIRROR SHADES AND A BLACK TRENCHCOAT and ~GENUINE HANZO STEEL~ after civilization collapses is a pretty major part of the escapist fantasy; it loses a lot of its luster if you come out and admit how completely loving goofy it is.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mister Bates posted:

It's basically a Mallninja Fantasy Simulator, of course you're going to have people talking about how 'realistic' is. Believing that there is a scenario in which it might actually be plausible and realistic for the pasty-faced nerd who goes outside once every couple of weeks to turn into THE ULTIMATE BADASS with MIRROR SHADES AND A BLACK TRENCHCOAT and ~GENUINE HANZO STEEL~ after civilization collapses is a pretty major part of the escapist fantasy; it loses a lot of its luster if you come out and admit how completely loving goofy it is.

Let's not forget the kajillion models of real-world weapons and all the tacticool poo poo that can get layered on top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is depressing for me because I would much rather build some sort of insane death fort covered in tesla cannons and surrounded by a field of smoking zombie corpses, only periodically emerging to hunt jabberwockys for dinner.

Yes I'm still bitter that a steam engine is apparently outside the crafting scope of the game, but a gun capable of firing railroad spikes at mach 10 with compressed air is not.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm still faintly horrified by using a vibrator in front of zombie hordes to break out of your depression to run faster

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I'm still faintly horrified by using a vibrator in front of zombie hordes to break out of your depression to run faster

Hey you'd run faster too if I stuck a vibrator up your rear end.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

How deep is the farming/growing stuff at this point? I noticed there are a bunch of seed types now for various vegetables, and you have the ability to plant them but I have never seen them grow (cos I've never lived long enough to see them reach maturity :( ). How feasible is it to set up your own mini-farm?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Which is depressing for me because I would much rather build some sort of insane death fort covered in tesla cannons and surrounded by a field of smoking zombie corpses, only periodically emerging to hunt jabberwockys for dinner.

Yes I'm still bitter that a steam engine is apparently outside the crafting scope of the game, but a gun capable of firing railroad spikes at mach 10 with compressed air is not.

There's a ton of tesla cannons, power armor, flamethrowers, laser beams, and poo poo like that. Get to welding jimmy/

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Not a thing anymore, and I believe the weird furry got kind of shunned out of the project.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

There's a ton of tesla cannons, power armor, flamethrowers, laser beams, and poo poo like that. Get to welding jimmy/

Yeah I know, it's just irritating that they arbitrarily deny specific useful bits of stuff because it isn't realistic in a game where you have all that bullshit.

PiCroft posted:

How deep is the farming/growing stuff at this point? I noticed there are a bunch of seed types now for various vegetables, and you have the ability to plant them but I have never seen them grow (cos I've never lived long enough to see them reach maturity :( ). How feasible is it to set up your own mini-farm?

Extremely feasible, you can grow all sorts and it's by far the best way to get food, as you can make flour and such which is very good non-perishable food.

Turtlicious posted:

Not a thing anymore, and I believe the weird furry got kind of shunned out of the project.

I would much sooner have him back in it than the current leads. Also pretty sure he left rather than got kicked out.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PiCroft posted:

Not as feasible as I'd like. To get seeds you have to get pretty lucky with the random rolls on some random farm. At least some seeds should be a part of the random drop table from foraging or whatever. It isn't much of a deep system either, and now that temperature is obscured from the player it can be a bit of a challenge to work out a day in Spring that the game will allow you to sow your weed crop. After you do that, its just a matter of waiting, or maybe grinding up some spiders and skeletons for fertilizer if you really want to get into it.

Still, once you actually get the seeds its a pretty simple system that works reasonably well.

And, what's this about developer drama?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a new coder on dda working in z levels, he seems to be doing well but he's a bit worried someone well poach the pr from him. I could definitely see that happening how does a project like this defends against that?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

There's a new coder on dda working in z levels, he seems to be doing well but he's a bit worried someone well poach the pr from him. I could definitely see that happening how does a project like this defends against that?

Surely the code on github will bear his name? If doubts arise, he can point to his work there, its open source and commits (and merge requests) are public.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

PiCroft posted:

It takes a bit under a year for plants to grow and seeds are very, very hard to find, garden shops are rarer than gun stores and farms might not even have any seeds worth using. Sure, you can pick blueberry and strawberry seeds and all in the wild but those don't put out nearly enough food for your needs. If you find corn/wheat/barley seeds though then you're looking golden, they grow into huge stacks of grain + some seed, you can grind cornmeal/flour from it, grab some fluid sacs from veggie monsters and cook it into oil and you'll have easy to make johnnycakes anytime you want. If you get cottonseed on your farm then get out the carding paddles and you have all the cooking oil you'll ever need.

That said, with the addition of those acorn trees that also give tanbark you can literally forage through a forest for a few hours, grab a basic cookbook and grind a mountain of acorn flour.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 23, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
e: fb

Speaking of z-levels, has anyone tried setting up a base on the roof of one of the new office towers?

What Cataclysm mallninjas always make me think of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVX8wm_CONM

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2015

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is there any quick way to unload full shopping carts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Is there any quick way to unload full shopping carts?

The advanced inventory management button, which I think is /

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What!? They took out the vibrator? How will I survive with out a 20 pound plutonium powered massager?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The advanced inventory management button, which I think is /
Oh okay, no special trick apart from just emptying your inventory with "," then just moving several stacks? Too bad there is no way to just empty it into a chosen square.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

What!? They took out the vibrator? How will I survive with out a 20 pound plutonium powered massager?
And the mp3 player is now boring and doesn't give you little text updates. ("you rock out to a guitar solo" etc...)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Too bad there is no way to just empty it into a chosen square.

That's exactly what the advanced inventory management button is for. It allows you to move equipment between any of the nine squares around you or your inventory.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
^or a dragged vehicle

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

Oh okay, no special trick apart from just emptying your inventory with "," then just moving several stacks? Too bad there is no way to just empty it into a chosen square.

And the mp3 player is now boring and doesn't give you little text updates. ("you rock out to a guitar solo" etc...)

The MP3 text updates were awesome, though. :( Silly, yeah, but the entire game is silly, and it was totally badass to lop off a zombie's head with a machete while listening to a face-melting guitar solo. :black101:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

its still in the game and its on github https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/data/json/items/tools.json

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Setting fires inside buildings in order to kill masses of zombies will always be amazing.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dotcom656 posted:

Setting fires inside buildings in order to kill masses of zombies will always be amazing.
Yes, but beware of the Eternally Burning Slowdown Memorial Hospital (which actually wasn't due to me, but instead because of a minefield that hilariously spawned inside the hospital, with the warning signposts just outside its walls)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dotcom656 posted:

Houses that have been turned into giant wasp hives burn real good, always fun. I really like the way this game handles fire and destructible terrain in general. Luring a crowd of zombies into a building, torching the place as you run through, and jumping out a window as the place goes up in flames behind you is crazy awesome. There's also the tried-and-true 'gas station bomb', which is more often a gas station suicide bomb.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So i've started a new game and found that at some point in the last couple of version, gunshops are now literally impenetrable without either high explosives or a jackhammer. All the windows are barred and the doors are metal. Bummer.

Has anyone found way into one without lucking out and finding a jackhammer, or risking taking out half a building with a bomb?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PiCroft posted:

So i've started a new game and found that at some point in the last couple of version, gunshops are now literally impenetrable without either high explosives or a jackhammer. All the windows are barred and the doors are metal. Bummer.

Has anyone found way into one without lucking out and finding a jackhammer, or risking taking out half a building with a bomb?

Do lockpicks work or can they be hacked into?

Also, vehicles. Vehicles are great for making holes. Drive through the wall with a disposable junk car!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're not all locked, I believe you can apply the crowbar to the door, and molotovs will burn down the walls.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Do lockpicks work or can they be hacked into?

Also, vehicles. Vehicles are great for making holes. Drive through the wall with a disposable junk car!

Lockpicks can't be used on them and as far as I know there isn't a way to hack the doors. I haven't had any luck in finding a functional vehicle sadly :(

Turtlicious posted:

They're not all locked, I believe you can apply the crowbar to the door, and molotovs will burn down the walls.

I'm pretty sure I tried a crowbar but it wouldn't allow me? I thought I might need a welder to try and cut through the doors or metal bars but apparently I can't. I thought I might be able to deconstruct them but either I don't have the tools necesary (welder) or I simply can't do it. Which is strange because I have the option of building metal doors and metal bars, I assume I must be able to deconstruct them somehow.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Lockpicks can't be used on them and as far as I know there isn't a way to hack the doors. I haven't had any luck in finding a functional vehicle sadly :(
What? Improvised lockpicks work just fine on the front door. :confused:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

AceRimmer posted:

What? Improvised lockpicks work just fine on the front door. :confused:

Just use welding torches to cut the bars

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Just use welding torches to cut the bars
Yes but all you need for the improvised picklock is a rock and a piece of scrap metal. (difficulty 0)
Think the lockpicking check is just dex based also.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Really? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn I tried lockpicking but it didn't allow me.

In the end I broke into a goldmine of weaponry stuff by ramming it with a car that just so happened to be parked across the street from it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Did they ever change vending machines to have anything worthwhile instead of mountains of junk foods/drinks? I liked the idea of an actual currency system, but not having any vending machines for useful stuff, like tools or books made it all kinda pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Actually I meant to ask about wether there is a bug in the vehicle modification system - I have a welder full of batteries, but whenever I try to install something, the item "powered welder" is red. At the moment I can only modify vehicles by having duct tape. Is this a bug?