Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

For pc, will a mid range one handle it if I make everything ugly? I know there are benchmarks, but I am usually in their grey area where they are less helpful.
FF14 is optimized by guddamn wizards. It'll run fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

All this ffxiv talk has me wanting to do at least a run through its story with some friends. Few questions.

Does the ps3 version run on the same servers as the pc version like ffxi?

Expansion will be on ps4? That sounds wonky to transition.

For pc, will a mid range one handle it if I make everything ugly? I know there are benchmarks, but I am usually in their grey area where they are less helpful.

Where do I look to catch sales? There a blog like gw2?

Edit phone typos

Yes, yes, it's well optimized, check steam for sales, yes it's here

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Healbot posted:

Unless this is perfectly set up you will lose more than half the BP generated this way due to the cap.

That just means your Red Mage has time to do other things on occasion, and that you have extra BP to spend on BP-cost abilities like Templar and Spiritmaster stuff. But yeah, if you just mindlessly go Poison x3/Poisona every round without considering how much BP your team actually needs, you're wasting some of your Red Mage's actions. I gave mine the Salve-Maker secondary because I knew she'd have time to do other things with her actions on occasion and throwing out strong buffs seemed like a nice backup.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thank god for the terrible digital prices on PS4, I almost impulse bought Type 0

Man I can't believe it's £55, HD remakes are usually £20-30. Maybe it's just because of the XV demo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can get the physical version for £35-ish but yeah.

It's FF XV demo plus being over-hyped because it was an FF game was never released in English until now.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe it's just because of the XV demo.

It is 100% because of the XV demo, and that's terrible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Especially considering how rear end the game looks, it's a pretty egregious cash grab for a demo that should be free. And I got suckered in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you don't believe Square would have put it out at 60$ even without the demo, then hah

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A guy I know bought type 0 then sold it on the spot to his friend for 50% of the price after taking the demo code

It's ok in 10 years nobody will care enough for them to still pull this poo poo. loads of people bought DQ8 for the 12 demo, and Ehrgeiz for the FF8 demo I think, and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dq8 was awesome

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The PSX version of FFVI came with a demo of FFX in Europe. Too bad the PSX version is terrible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The PSN description of Type 0 HD is all you need to see what their intention is. It's kind of hilarious, if sad.

And yeah, echoing people earlier in the thread who said the HD-ification is the laziest ever. The soap opera-style conversation scenes where you get one character at a time talking towards ostensibly the other people because the PSP couldn't handle a lot on screen is obnoxious and weird and should have been changed for the HD release. Even with all this, I don't even really mind that the graphics are crap but the price point is a joke. Like this release is bad enough that if SE was more in the public eye, I think they'd probably be obligated to apologize for it. But they won't and we won't care because we're used to being hosed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wait a week and buy it at half price after everyone returns it for having horrible nausea inducing camera and/or a game they realize they don't like at all

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

As many problems as I have with Type-0, the main theme and leitmotif is not one of them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Terper posted:

As many problems as I have with Type-0, the main theme and leitmotif is not one of them.

I do like to let the opening cutscene run because drat that's a good song.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I got Type-0 for $40 from Walmart and am enjoying it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm having a grand old time with Type-0 but my standards for JRPG's are horribly low. I got 100% completion on Star Ocean 3 and Legend of Legaia 2. That was my nadir.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Someone spoiled the ending for me and now I'm wondering if that twist is necessarily worth the effort and Bloodborne is out tomorrow and i'm still tied up with FF6 anyway

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, what's the trick to getting decent at ultimate songs on Theatrythm: Curtain Call? I'm acing expert songs with perfect combos and getting SS and SSS scores, but that step up to ultimate is killing me. I'm assuming just straight up practice but man my eyes must be getting old cause it's hard to read the direction in which way I'm supposed to swipe.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

seiferguy posted:

So uh, what's the trick to getting decent at ultimate songs on Theatrythm: Curtain Call? I'm acing expert songs with perfect combos and getting SS and SSS scores, but that step up to ultimate is killing me. I'm assuming just straight up practice but man my eyes must be getting old cause it's hard to read the direction in which way I'm supposed to swipe.

Practice but also at first equip a lot of defensive skills to give yourself a better chance.

Also some songs are just extremely difficult on ultimate

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Equip Elegy 3 or Mighty Guard and practice. Use lots of healing skills and don't worry about optimal setups for now. That's how I made the jump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Someone spoiled the ending for me and now I'm wondering if that twist is necessarily worth the effort and Bloodborne is out tomorrow and i'm still tied up with FF6 anyway

I would finish it before you go on to Bloodborne because that is going to eat your soul.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone's said it before, Type-0 is a 2nd playthrough game. The twist is why you do the branching mission, also the combat is the main draw so you want to get the flying airship and get to the tower which is post-game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I've done all possible main and side quests outside of the huge rear end monster in the desert and the kill all Last Ones. in Lighting Returns.

Should I just skip to the final day. I'm on the 8th day currently. No new prayer board missions are going to appear, correct?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I've done all possible main and side quests outside of the huge rear end monster in the desert and the kill all Last Ones. in Lighting Returns.

Should I just skip to the final day. I'm on the 8th day currently. No new prayer board missions are going to appear, correct?

I mean if you've done literally every quest you can't get more stats so unless you've also not been getting good weapons and armor as you go you're good to Go kill the last ones/that big rear end desert dragon. I mean you could grind out mats and weapons but gently caress that go beat monsters to extinction.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
I caved and bought Type-0 after I said I wouldn't. I'm enjoying it so far and I don't find the motion blur as bad as I thought it would be. I still really wish they'll allow it to be turned off with a patch though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

In addition to whatever else people said, just start on the easier songs - most FMS songs are fairly forgiving. FFVIII has the toughest all-around songs, though there are some easy ones in there, like Fisherman's Horizon.

Honestly though it's all about practice and having a good day. I've gone from scraping past 8 million on one song and then coming back another day and getting SSS rank on it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, there's no real trick to it aside from practice :gitgud:

Once you can consistently get 90%+ Criticals on Expert you probably have a pretty good shot at clearing most Ultimates. Aside from Fisherman's Horizon, I found that Noel's Theme from XIII-2 is also very easy Ultimate and the first one I managed to All Crit. Even amongst FMS tracks there are some pretty brutal ones with a ton of super short sliding triggers mixed with touch ones which at least for me are the hardest ones to deal with.

Alternatively try multiplayer on Expert, the various EX-Bursts are good practice for reflexes and timing without being quite as harsh as Ultimates.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Keep in mind that if you want to do the final dungeon that opens up on the last day, the clock continues to run even during battles (and all the battles are against Last Ones, plus a potentially tough/time consuming boss at the end). Any Last Ones you kill during the game do not show up in the extra dungeon. So if you haven't killed many Last Ones and are worried worried about not being fast enough, you might want to go hunt some monsters to extinction. I don't remember what day the monsters get their final bump in stats and drops, but you might want to wait until then to go Genocide Mode so you can get the best drops.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, I have to admit, DeRosso's, and by association the old man's, backstory is badass. I wish we get a prequel game covering the events of that time period. It can be called something like...Bravely Second, to represent the pivotal second in their final battle where the fate of the world was decided.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unfortunately Bravely Second is already taken as the title to the sequel. :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition to whatever else people said, just start on the easier songs - most FMS songs are fairly forgiving. FFVIII has the toughest all-around songs, though there are some easy ones in there, like Fisherman's Horizon.

Honestly though it's all about practice and having a good day. I've gone from scraping past 8 million on one song and then coming back another day and getting SSS rank on it.

Sounds good. I'll start there. Is there a "tier-list" for song difficulties? I wish it was just like DDR and gave a song-rating difficulty.

Hand cramping also seems to be the bane of me :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So if I want to try out XIV can I just jump into the trial and muddle through things on my own to see if I like it or is it the sort of game you need a whole group to play properly?

Schwartzcough posted:

Keep in mind that if you want to do the final dungeon that opens up on the last day, the clock continues to run even during battles (and all the battles are against Last Ones, plus a potentially tough/time consuming boss at the end). Any Last Ones you kill during the game do not show up in the extra dungeon. So if you haven't killed many Last Ones and are worried worried about not being fast enough, you might want to go hunt some monsters to extinction. I don't remember what day the monsters get their final bump in stats and drops, but you might want to wait until then to go Genocide Mode so you can get the best drops.

That dungeon was hilarious going in only after wiping everything out. Just loads of empty rooms while Hope wittered on about bullshit. Then that bug thing you can theoretically genocide by killing 65,000+ elsewhere, and then a big monster.

Also the whole "hey, we found where all the missing hours went" thing made me laugh.

e: best thing in the game was the chocobo though. was fun just running about the place like a dick, and it was nice having him help in combat too, even though he didn't do much. and then the story stuff, I liked that too because it was very silly

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

McDragon posted:

So if I want to try out XIV can I just jump into the trial and muddle through things on my own to see if I like it or is it the sort of game you need a whole group to play properly?

You don't need a group at all. Go take a look at the thread in MMOHMO, there are some quick-start tips that are helpful.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Group content doesnt really get going until the late teens, really.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm not going to play an MMO

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I assume even if you don't need a group, it doesn't hurt to party up even in the beginning, right? Mostly just because I like to pal around in MMOs with a friend of mine, even in games where you can solo most things.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main story line quest actually makes it harder to group because a lot of the story missions have to be done outside of a party but then the story dungeons have to be done in a 4 man group. So basically solo recommended until you hit dungeon, then you group, then you go back to soloing again.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tae posted:

Everyone's said it before, Type-0 is a 2nd playthrough game. The twist is why you do the branching mission, also the combat is the main draw so you want to get the flying airship and get to the tower which is post-game.

The more I play Type-0 the more this design just confuses me. I mean, it's a good thing to add in new things to do for multiple playthroughs and they're certainly doing that but it almost seems like they bent too far in that direction.

It all revolves around the fact that damage is so strongly affected by level correction that fighting anything more than, say, 8-10 levels above you is almost always a waste of time, because you die instantly to a single attack. Your AI buddies certainly get wasted in moments whenever you're somewhere you're not supposed to be, and you can clear more powerful enemies solo if you're very careful and pay attention to killsights but it's so punishing to hardly be worth the effort. Oh, you got to the end of the cave/mission/field boss and screwed up on the last dodge? Well, so much for that, time to reload the save. I had a couple decent expert mission attempts fail in such a manner after 20+ minutes of work and just decided waiting for the second playthrough and a more level playing field was a better call.

This is mostly all well and good because I'd rather have a massively overleveled opponent to tell me to Come Back Here Later over an arbitrary invisible wall (which are also present and also everywhere but that's a different problem) but it seems like every area beyond the main story line is stuck behind these things. The last mission has a suggested level of what, 36? All but a couple of the side areas and a bunch of the side quests and practically all of the expert missions start way above that. You are restricted to some small fragment of the overall world map for most of the game. This is really a silly amount of content to lock behind the first clear. "Things take 20+ hours to open up" is a criticism that was quite rightly leveled at FFXIII and this is basically the same situation applied to even more things.

Maybe I'm just griping because while I'm on track to beat the game I'm not going to get anywhere into a second playthrough before Bloodborne drops and who knows when I'll come back to this after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Whoever designed the butterfly hunt mingame in FFX so that taking a single step after catching the last butterfly kicks you out of the area needs to get their nuts stomped on a little bit.

I still really like X now that I'm basically just doing end-game cleanup and side missions, but holy poo poo this game has some of the worst minigames I've ever seen. It may even be worse than IX, somehow. Blitzball is alright but the rest of these are just sadistic.