Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Glockenapfel posted:

I like the fact that he was willing to do homework that helps out newer and lazier players like me. The results are fairly inconclusive, but the willingness to do it is towny I think.

..and the added support doesn't ring true which is why I voted him. He isn't saying what you're saying - he's saying that QPQ is town because he is 'willing to do homework'. The willingness to put in effort does not make someone town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

He thought QPQ was town because 'that post was awesome.' I was mining out what that meant... because that means nothing.

he told what it means when you asked:

Glockenapfel posted:

I like the fact that he was willing to do homework that helps out newer and lazier players like me. The results are fairly inconclusive, but the willingness to do it is towny I think.

Additionally, your case is:

merk posted:

I don't really agree that you can glean anything about QPQ's alignment from the effort he put in because the effort goes nowhere. I think you made this up.

But now you say it's because they're saying meaningless things. Which is it? Do you think Glock is saying meaningless words, or reading into things that aren't there in a scummy way?

And for the third time: The post I just quoted says that it's reading into effort for alignment and I just asked you a question about why that's wrong when it's accompanied with content and an analysis of motivation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Real chat: how is not voting the claimed 3p not the immediate move here?

Do we have an actual claimed 3p? I think I missed that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

And for the third time: The post I just quoted says that it's reading into effort for alignment and I just asked you a question about why that's wrong when it's accompanied with content and an analysis of motivation.

Reading effort for alignment is wrong, especially when you agree that the effort went nowhere. That's my case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Glockenapfel posted:

Read this post again, Ernie. This isn't a 'effort + content' justification that you're trying to say it is. This is 'effort = town, even when effort is inconclusive'. That's not indicative of town, and it looks like a made up explanation to his town read.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

merk posted:

Where has he seemed earnest?

merk posted:

Where has he seemed earnest?

He nailed Ernie right away on using a claim from another game and followed that line of thought through into considering the interactions around Ernie. And he seems to be actively scumhunting.

I also noticed in looking back briefly that CPig was the third vote on Ernie. That makes him look worse to me.
##vote CPig

Merk, what do you think of Quandry's defense of me? You only commented on Ernie's. (I think Quandry's is more scummy.)

Also this is a PSA - I am actually sick as a sick dog and going back to sleep now for the next 3 days or a week. I've asked Ecco for a replacement since I won't be around for lynch. This is my last flurry of contribution, so enjoy it!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Glockenapfel posted:

I also noticed in looking back briefly that CPig was the third vote on Ernie. That makes him look worse to me.
##vote CPig

For the record, this is the core of my argument against CPig.

If his motivation was 'to help ernie's gambit' then he wouldn't have been the third vote (2 votes is already enough information). All his vote did was add momentum, and CPig is a player who even though he doesn't admit it, plays with momentum a lot some times leaving his vote on players for days on end.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

It is, but Ernie's whiteknighting I think is scummy and don't want that to get missed.

Ernie's posting doesn't strike me as particularly egregious, but I can understand that approach.

I am not planning on moving my vote, however.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

This whole "made up explanation" thing of Merk's is really bizarre and makes me want to vote him. Seems like an easy thing for scum to say.

Anyway, thoughts are hard. Bye.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I am not planning on moving my vote, however.

what?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Glockenapfel posted:

He nailed Ernie right away on using a claim from another game and followed that line of thought through into considering the interactions around Ernie. And he seems to be actively scumhunting.

##vote CPig

Merk, what do you think of Quandry's defense of me? You only commented on Ernie's. (I think Quandry's is more scummy.)

Also this is a PSA - I am actually sick as a sick dog and going back to sleep now for the next 3 days or a week. I've asked Ecco for a replacement since I won't be around for lynch. This is my last flurry of contribution, so enjoy it!

Quandary's didn't jump out at me when I read it, but you're right. I think saying less about why you're townie is probably worse than Ernie trying to actually dive into the argument, and it looks like Ernie and I might just disagree about a general mafia thing here.

I'm going to go back to numerrik. I think Quandary is my #2. I'm going to punt on making an Ernie read now that I thought about it more. I'm also punting on a read of you.

##vote numerrik

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Glockenapfel posted:

This whole "made up explanation" thing of Merk's is really bizarre and makes me want to vote him. Seems like an easy thing for scum to say.

Anyway, thoughts are hard. Bye.

If you have never played with me before, this is how I scum hunt. I solely look for fake content. The only difference between scum and town is that scum need to look like you're trying to find scum whereas town actually are trying to find scum. That difference means that scum must produce fake content whereas town produce genuine content. I will jam every read I have into some sort of 'fake,' 'made up,' or whatever label feels appropriate.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel like Merk took a long time to reach an obvious conclusion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

FYI, my laptop is temporarily out of commission, so my posts my seem a little more informal than they typically are.

merk posted:

I don't really agree that you can glean anything about QPQ's alignment from the effort he put in because the effort goes nowhere. I think you made this up.

##vote Glockenapfel

In case you're new and want some general mafia theory, I think a player saying that she will go out to other games to try to determine an alignment in this particular game is scummy just as often as it is townie. In Where the Wild Things Are Mafia, I nailed King Cobweb as scum when he said that he would go out to other games to try to figure out meta for players in that particular game. Although a large part of that case is built on the fact that KCW did not follow through, the general premise stands: There is enough content in this game that I think it an easy way to feign contribution when you promise to (or actually do) analyze other games to determine meta.

How exactly is Glock making things up? I can understand your objections with my post, but I am not sure how Glock is being deceitful. What do you think he is trying to accomplish, exactly?

Comes off as an easy attack against someone who can't defend themselves. Glock reads like every newbie town player that has ever existed.

merk posted:

Oh, a third party claim: ##unvote; ##vote numerrik

merk posted:

Quandary's didn't jump out at me when I read it, but you're right. I think saying less about why you're townie is probably worse than Ernie trying to actually dive into the argument, and it looks like Ernie and I might just disagree about a general mafia thing here.

I'm going to go back to numerrik. I think Quandary is my #2. I'm going to punt on making an Ernie read now that I thought about it more. I'm also punting on a read of you.

##vote numerrik

merk, real question: Are you scum in this game? I don't see anything here except an attempt to make an easy lynch against a bad, possibly new player. Your last post is just a mishmash of general thoughts that doesn't correlate with your vote at all.

The white knight accusation is weak and disingenuous. What exactly does that mean? It is more an attack on the person than a critique of their actions. I am getting all sorts of bad vibes out of it.

##unvote, ##vote:merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
No, I'm not scum this game. People can stop asking me if I'm scum in a game; it's happened in the last four games, one of which I was scum in!

What is disingenuous about my casework here? I'm trying to mine additional content out of little content, and I made alignment conclusions on said content. For example, what do you not like about my Quandary read?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

That ##vote:numerrik I had, obviously.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

QuoProQuid posted:

The white knight accusation is weak and disingenuous. What exactly does that mean? It is more an attack on the person than a critique of their actions. I am getting all sorts of bad vibes out of it.

It means a scum player came in and saw an opportunity to look town by defending someone. Usually the person being defended is town in this hypothetical but not always.

Why is that an attack on a person? I don't understand what you're even saying here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Accusing Ernie of White-Knighting Glock is obviously wrong, but what's more wrong is that merk is spinning that he was pressuring Glock. Merk undercut his own momentum by stopping to vote Numerrik immediately afterwards. Rambling about his own meta when questioned isn't a good response.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Accusing Ernie of White-Knighting Glock is obviously wrong, but what's more wrong is that merk is spinning that he was pressuring Glock. Merk undercut his own momentum by stopping to vote Numerrik immediately afterwards. Rambling about his own meta when questioned isn't a good response.

I don't really see how voting for a claimed third party undercuts my momentum on Glock. I still expected a response from Glock and got one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

I don't really see how voting for a claimed third party undercuts my momentum on Glock. I still expected a response from Glock and got one.

Why not just wait for Glock's response and vote Numerrik later?

It's also weird that you didn't see Numerrik's post. He claimed at 10:34 and you responded to the thread at 14:46. Most of the posts immediately after his were talking about the claim.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Why not just wait for Glock's response and vote Numerrik later?

It's also weird that you didn't see Numerrik's post. He claimed at 10:34 and you responded to the thread at 14:46. Most of the posts immediately after his were talking about the claim.

I hit quote on Glock's post when I saw it.

You're grasping at straws to justify a gut read though, so I kind of think you look townie for this line of discussion.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Town aligned elite bodyguard

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Glockenapfel posted:

Why would you claim this now?

Also Quid that post was awesome. You and Opop are two people I am definitely not inclined to vote today. Pig looks bad to me because he was the second on Ernie, not the first as I originally thought. I'm mostly ignoring the other numerous "joke" votes. I also have some gut paranoia of Pinterest Mom that I can't explain. I'll be back later tonight to review other folks and put down an actual vote.

Casing me because I was the second vote on someone? Thats a bit of a stretch.

I do believe merk is on to something here.

##vote glock

also merk isnt scum this game. kthx.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

I hit quote on Glock's post when I saw it.

You're grasping at straws to justify a gut read though, so I kind of think you look townie for this line of discussion.

You're deflecting by responding to the weaker point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

numerrik posted:

Okay but what is your win condition?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

numerrik posted:

you are amazing

i feel like i'm band class and you're the one kid a whole bar off

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Aren't there three red flags in four words in "town aligned elite bodyguard" :allears:

##vote numerrik

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

merk posted:

No, I'm not scum this game. People can stop asking me if I'm scum in a game; it's happened in the last four games, one of which I was scum in!

What is disingenuous about my casework here? I'm trying to mine additional content out of little content, and I made alignment conclusions on said content. For example, what do you not like about my Quandary read?

i thought i would ask politely, merk!!! I wait with secret hopes that one day, someone will tell me that they are, in fact, scum.

As for your case work, it looks like deliberate misreadings of both Glock and Ernie. Nothing about Glock reads as particularly untrue when compared to other town players. His post is not terribly thought through, but nothing about it is necessarily scummy. Have you never encountered a town player that likes evidence of effort?

As for Ernie, you accuse him of being a white knight after he indicates some holes in your attack. I can understand your unhappiness if you were just trying to needle Glock, looking for reactions, but your focus suddenly shifts toward Ernie for "white knighting." Are we going to consider an attack on every bad case "white knighting" now?

Your accusation is disingenuous because it doesn't actually address Ernie's concerns. It's just name-calling, and the sudden posting of it in response comes off as awkward.

Somberbrero posted:

I agree with this as well. Your last few series of posts is just throwing spaghetti at the walls. There's no focus. You flip suddenly between Glock, Ernie, and Numerik for poorly explained reasons.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

You're deflecting by responding to the weaker point.

I disagree with any strategy that requires me to wait. I vote for whatever I think is right whenever I think it is right.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

QuoProQuid posted:

It's just name-calling

Huh? Whiteknighting is not a name call. It's a label for his play. It's what he was doing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

numerrik posted:

oh my god.

i actually need to sit down for a second.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I feel like Ecco games come with vigs a lot. Can we get a vig?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

1.) You make a bad argument.

2.) Ernie points out that you made a bad argument.

3.) Suddenly you run in screaming that Ernie is a white knight. You don't actually address whether his points are wrong until 4-5 posts later. It's a weird kneejerk reaction and poorly explained.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

I'm confused by the whole exchange. Glocknapfel was putting forward straightforward if naive thoughts. I thought Merk was just pushing pressure on Glock to see how he'd react, so I'm surprised he dropped it immediately. It seems like the smart play would have been to wait until Glock responded and vote Numerrik later.

Speaking of which, Numerrik you should just full-claim now.

Scum post ##unvote ##vote Somber

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Aren't there three red flags in four words in "town aligned elite bodyguard" :allears:

##vote numerrik

????

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that's not the town alignment name
revolutionaries don't have elite bodyguards, kings do
bodyguards don't seek out and kill people

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Everyone voting numerik right now should feel dirty and ashamed.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Another scum post. I am a townie. My PM literally describes me as town-aligned.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

1 and 2 are wrong?

is ecco trolling us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Isn't bodyguard a perfectly acceptable town role?

• Locked thread