Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darkhold posted:

Are you talking about the base game or the Xpack? Watching reviewers play the Xpack was epic.

*walks his sniper out in the open setting off 10 Exalt members*

'Whoa this game is really hard guys'

Yeah I'm just skipping through a few preview streams of Pillars and it's painful to watch people with no RPG experience at all try to attempt these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Furism posted:

20 GB according to a very recent dev post.

I thought it was 14 Gb, see here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71176-difference-in-hard-drive-usage-between-steam-and-gog/#entry1587163

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So are the party members okay with me swapping them in and out or this more like Baldurs Gate 2 where removing Minsc or Jaheira made me feel like the biggest rear end in a top hat ever

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

rope kid posted:

Once you get them you can advance them as you like. We don't have a "recommended" setting since that logic can get invalidated as soon as you do one level-up.
So the big question is - are companions always met at specific level regardless of when you get them? Or do they scale meaning you'll get less opportunity to advence them your way if you get them too late.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oo Koo posted:

More Bleak Walker chat. What would their reaction be to getting backstabbed by their employer? Say someone hires some Bleak Walkers to fight someone, then decides that they'd rather accept their opponent's surrender/not pay the bleak walkers after all. And charges them in the rear annihilating the now surrounded and confused paladin troop. What happens afterwards?

quote:

Any army/general may surrender after Bleak Walkers are unleashed, but the paladins explicitly do not ask for nor give mercy/surrender. If a warlord said, "Hey, Bleak Walkers, take out this town," and then halfway through the attack, the ruler of the city tried to surrender, the warlord would have a problem on his hands if he wanted to accept. Bleak Walkers won't call off an attack even if their "employer" asks them to or turns forces on them. The Bleak Walkers believe this behavior is necessary to make it clear what is going to happen when they get involved.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66195-update-78-the-leaders-of-the-band-chanters-and-priests/page-4#entry1449558
So basically, the Bleak Walkers are a) going to keep going after their original target and b) presumably come back around and crush the former employers if they can.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Oo Koo posted:

More Bleak Walker chat. What would their reaction be to getting backstabbed by their employer? Say someone hires some Bleak Walkers to fight someone, then decides that they'd rather accept their opponent's surrender/not pay the bleak walkers after all. And charges them in the rear annihilating the now surrounded and confused paladin troop. What happens afterwards?

They probably kill everyone in involved

If the Bleak Walker approach to thing is "Kill everyone all the time as brutally as possible so they know we don't gently caress around" then I don't think they're going to make traitorous employers an exception

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Backstabbing the Bleak Walkers is probably the one thing worse than your opponents bringing in the Bleak Walkers. You just made it personal.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
What happens if all the bleak walkers present lose though? Do they just keep calling in more of the order into the meatgrinder from abroad? What happens if they get their asses kicked so hard that there's not enough bleak walkers in the local area to mount an effective resistance anymore?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Oo Koo posted:

What happens if all the bleak walkers present lose though? Do they just keep calling in more of the order into the meatgrinder from abroad? What happens if they get their asses kicked so hard that there's not enough bleak walkers in the local area to mount an effective resistance anymore?

I imagine they have enough of an overwhelming force to take most opponents, along with a distinct tactical advantage in that anyone they're fighting knows they're up against the most brutal, merciless and efficient soldiers in Eora.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oo Koo posted:

The offending army has to march home at some point. I assume when they get there they find a field of ash and a bunch of pissed off paladins.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
If the employer had a force good enough to slaughter the Bleak Walker contingent AND any reinforcements they might call in, why would he be hiring them in the first place?

If they do get smashed that hard I'd assume they'd stop reinforcing and start scheming to take down the betrayer.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Oblivious posted:

So are the party members okay with me swapping them in and out or this more like Baldurs Gate 2 where removing Minsc or Jaheira made me feel like the biggest rear end in a top hat ever

Previews said that they chilled at your stronghold and could even go on resource gathering style quests, so it seems like they should be cool with it.

Malek Deneith posted:

So the big question is - are companions always met at specific level regardless of when you get them? Or do they scale meaning you'll get less opportunity to advance them your way if you get them too late.

They scale. Enjoy your priest coming with wound triage if you get to him too late.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oo Koo posted:

I'd imagine the number of troops and from what local chapter are part of initial negotiations. Similarly I'd imagine they'd use their discretion about what jobs to accept so they don't walk into hopeless situation

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Any youtube/stream recommendation ? I just want to watch until a bit after the first dungeon, someone that knows how to play and don't rush dialogue/takes his time showing stuff.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I noticed Lore takes up half the points given in the Backgrounds while only Laborers, Merchants and Scientist give a bonus to Mechanics.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 23, 2015

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Icept posted:

If the employer had a force good enough to slaughter the Bleak Walker contingent AND any reinforcements they might call in, why would he be hiring them in the first place?

If they do get smashed that hard I'd assume they'd stop reinforcing and start scheming to take down the betrayer.

I kinda veered on a tangent there. That second question was more about what happens when the bleak walkers lose in general. Like if they don't get backstabbed but the opposing army just wins because they're better than the bleak walkers and their employers combined.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Roguelike posted:

They scale. Enjoy your priest coming with wound triage if you get to him too late.

mmm, I was concerned about that. At least it's semi-avoidable. I suppose you can save your level up, too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't have time to watch most of a stream so what notable bugs are there in the present game? This isn't a Ubisoft effort so I'm expecting the bugs won't be as memetic.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When can you preload this bad boy?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I will be shocked if there isnt a "companions always join at level 1" mod within like a week of release.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Clever Spambot posted:

I will be shocked if there isnt a "companions always join at level 1" mod within like a week of release.

Bester is actually working on an in-game companion editor already. There are some issues with some of the classes though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
RPS plays a tad and gives commentary: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/23/pillars-of-eternity-the-first-half-hour/#more-277867

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sensuki posted:

I suppose you can save your level up, too.

Would that work? Don't you hit the level up flag when you get experience, not when you apply your ability points?

I know this may be a bit spergy, but I wonder how much more I'd rather rush to get the companions in order to control their levelups rather than waiting to do it naturally. I mean, you'd probably only be getting to level three before you get all the companions, right?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't have time to watch most of a stream so what notable bugs are there in the present game? This isn't a Ubisoft effort so I'm expecting the bugs won't be as memetic.

The main bug is that bighead mode makes everyone look like Shrek. :saddowns:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Streamers don't seem to understand the mechanics well enough to notice any bugs. What they really struggle with is stuff that isn't bugs, like wizard arcane assault only being 5m so that wizards walk forward and die whenever they cast it, or interrupts canceling actions. Or engagement. Also bears.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Roguelike posted:

Streamers don't seem to understand the mechanics well enough to notice any bugs. What they really struggle with is stuff that isn't bugs, like wizard arcane assault only being 5m so that wizards walk forward and die whenever they cast it, or interrupts canceling actions. Or engagement. Also bears.

If you're targeting an ability is there any indication that you're out of reach and will move forward?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I wonder if most people will have trouble understanding that stuff or if its just a side effect of trying to play a game while also be entertaining (which whether they are succeeding or not must be distracting).

omeg posted:

If you're targeting an ability is there any indication that you're out of reach and will move forward?

Yeah the targeting icon changes to one with feet in it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's the double-edged sword of allowing people to stream your game early. You get some good publicity out of the people/blogs/companies that know what they're doing and have fun with your (presumably good) game, but you also risk some idiot with 20 thousand viewers making your game look like poo poo because he can't be bothered to read any of the tutorial tips, doesn't understand the basics of the game, and just shits all over it for 30 minutes before going back to playing Minecraft.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

quote:

hmm looks heavy on the text , Wasteland 2 made that mistake

Gotta love random internet comments.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

quote:

I’m not able to tell you at this point if THE GAME IS REALLY GOOD or not. So you’ll just have to continue not knowing if IT’S DEFINITELY WORTH GETTING for a couple more days.

Hahaha

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clever Spambot posted:

I wonder if most people will have trouble understanding that stuff or if its just a side effect of trying to play a game while also be entertaining (which whether they are succeeding or not must be distracting).

Yeah the targeting icon changes to one with feet in it.

I doubt most people will understand that stuff. I didn't know about the feet thing and I've got an unhealthy number of hours in the beta. I haven't seen a single person using hotkeys and I wouldn't even know about them if I hadn't discovered them by accident because shift queing used to be bugged. Visually, engagement is completely drowned out by everything else happening in combat.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Oo Koo posted:

I kinda veered on a tangent there. That second question was more about what happens when the bleak walkers lose in general. Like if they don't get backstabbed but the opposing army just wins because they're better than the bleak walkers and their employers combined.

Then them's just the breaks. Mercenaries know that sometimes you lose. You fulfill the obligations in your contract, which unless you are very stupid includes a limit on the resources you are willing to commit, and if you fail you don't get the rest of your pay. Unless becoming a bleak walker requires you to replace your entire cerebral cortex with a piece of paper with MURDER written on it, I imagine they employ the usual amount of business sense for a contractor taking on a risky proposition.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Icept posted:

Gotta love random internet comments.

is there still time to remove all the text and add quick time events/

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Pillars of Eternity - You were elected to lead AND to read

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I hope Obsidian cracks down really hard on these malicious attempts to subvert the embargo. :colbert:

Furism posted:

Part 2 of the Road to Eternity Intro: https://vimeo.com/121319960

ropekid just do a second Kickstarter to switch another team to more glorious indie work in parallel to the one working on the expansion. Kick the treadmill to the curb. My money is ready.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
So I'm thinking of making a Cipher that uses one handed melee weapons(mostly swords unless I find something super good). Lots of people in here seem to have hands on experience and stuff so I was wondering, how viable is this character idea?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gyshall posted:

is there still time to remove all the text and add quick time events/

Telltale bought the PoE IP?? Nooooo!

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

im going to make a big, sick rear end, barbarian

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
raiders5000 says:
Look…if you’re not going to have voice acting, then you need to drop $20!

:allears:

Airfoil posted:

*rope kid will remember that*

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 23, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Airfoil posted:

Seriously please don't even joke about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

devilmaydry posted:

So I'm thinking of making a Cipher that uses one handed melee weapons(mostly swords unless I find something super good). Lots of people in here seem to have hands on experience and stuff so I was wondering, how viable is this character idea?

Do you want to dual weild or weild a one handed weapon only?

With Cipher you generally want to max Int and then some combination of Might and Dex. The slower the weapon you plan on using, the more benefit from Might; the faster the weapons, the more benefit from Dex. Dual-weilding is the fastest weapon option, ranged guns are the slowest.

One-handed by itself, without an offhand, ehh, Ropekid just tweaked it post-beta but the general consensus is it's slightly underpowered because ~*reasons*~

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 23, 2015

• Locked thread