Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Has Catherine Bell always been a giraffe and I've just not noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
you got something against people with longer necks? :colbert:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Kristina Braverman is one of the most infuriating characters on TV

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Malt posted:

Does The Newsroom pick up past season 1?

The West Wing was great, but this feels like they took the exact same formula and applied it to a news group minus all the amazing characters and proper setting for the deep, profound importance they want you to feel 10 times an episode.

The show stays basically the same from season 1 to season 2, so there isn't much point continuing if you're not into it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatula City posted:

Ever since I discovered it on Netflix last summer, Columbo has been my favorite show ever. I love everything about it, especially Peter Falk and THAT CAR. :allears:

I just now found out that Ed Solomon was working with Mark Ruffalo in trying to put together a Columbo movie, but apparently Universal's trying to develop a new version for TV. That was this past July, so I don't know what's come of it lately.

Which, I'll be honest, it leaves me intrigued. If they could find anyone half as masterful as Peter Falk, this could prove interesting. I should point out that being intrigued is not necessarily the same thing as being enthused. I haven't seen Zodiac yet (and I've been meaning to), so I'm honestly not too familiar with Ruffalo's resume. That, and remakes have a bit of an uphill battle being compared to the original -- hell, I *liked* Ving Rhames' version of Kojak.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked Sam Jackson as Shaft.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

The show stays basically the same from season 1 to season 2, so there isn't much point continuing if you're not into it.

At a certain point the show becomes "Aaron Sorkin screams at the viewer about how right his opinions are" so frequently that you forget there is even a plot.

Season 2's framing device was the "team" being interviewed by lawyers over Genoa, and then flashbacks reveal the build-up to Genoa. The hilarity is that Sorkin was so desperate to construct what he thought was a genuine thought provoking storyline that he fabricated so many contrived situations that by the 3rd act it was more fantasy then reality. a production guy basically edits footage to make an interviewed retired general say the exact opposite of what was originally said and then plays the moral high ground card

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillowpants posted:

I was not able to find a thread about Parenthood, but I'm watching it with my wife and I was wondering how everyone felt about it.

I enjoy the show but I feel like it's entirely predictable and Julia's character is just horrid.

I felt like the writers utterly hated the characters they had to write for, and set out to make the most depressing show possible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

pentyne posted:

At a certain point the show becomes "Aaron Sorkin screams at the viewer about how right his opinions are" so frequently that you forget there is even a plot.
And after that cold intro you get a long, sanctimonious title scene.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, The Royals is a pile of hot, steaming garbage, but I am eagerly awaiting its airing in the UK for the savage response it'll get from the British media.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ruffalo would've been so so good as Columbo. But then Mark Ruffalo can never not be great.

In other news, Firefly isn't that great. Here's the thing about it, it has all the ingredients present that you know one day it'll all fall into place and just work, but the majority of those early episodes are just them trying to work all that out. By the time it feels like they're getting there the show was over.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I just now found out that Ed Solomon was working with Mark Ruffalo in trying to put together a Columbo movie, but apparently Universal's trying to develop a new version for TV. That was this past July, so I don't know what's come of it lately.

Which, I'll be honest, it leaves me intrigued. If they could find anyone half as masterful as Peter Falk, this could prove interesting. I should point out that being intrigued is not necessarily the same thing as being enthused. I haven't seen Zodiac yet (and I've been meaning to), so I'm honestly not too familiar with Ruffalo's resume. That, and remakes have a bit of an uphill battle being compared to the original -- hell, I *liked* Ving Rhames' version of Kojak.

Ruffalo is a decent actor. About the the only complaint I'd have with him playing Columbo is that he is too big and a bit too WASP-y to play Columbo.

Part of the charm of Peter Falk's Columbo is that he's a short, vaguely ethnic guy in a cheap suit who regularly bothers the rich and powerful who think they can get away with murder. Columbo just goes around asking small niggling questions until the murderers are caught in a lie, then busts them on it.

If you haven't already seen it, check out The In-Laws where Peter Falk basically plays Columbo as a CIA agent. The original, not the remake, the remake sucks balls.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 23, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just caught up in Fresh Off the Boat, I'm disappointed that the latest episode decided to use the scheming jew trope... :(

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thrakkorzog posted:

Ruffalo is a decent actor. About the the only complaint I'd have with him playing Columbo is that he is too big and a bit too WASP-y to play Columbo.

Part of the charm of Peter Falk's Columbo is that he's a short, vaguely ethnic guy in a cheap suit who regularly bothers the rich and powerful who think they can get away with murder. Columbo just goes around asking small niggling questions until the murderers are caught in a lie, then busts them on it.

If you haven't already seen it, check out The In-Laws where Peter Falk basically plays Columbo as a CIA agent. The original, not the remake, the remake sucks balls.

Ruffalo does a Columbo-ish character in Zodiac, which I'm pretty sure is where the idea originated to begin with.

I mean Falk is great, but I honestly don't see that much difference, stature-wise, between the two. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to name any modern actor who could really do the role justice.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

Just caught up in Fresh Off the Boat, I'm disappointed that the latest episode decided to use the scheming jew trope... :(

Stereotype, not a trope.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Duke posted:

Kristina Braverman is one of the most infuriating characters on TV

Pillowpants posted:

Yeah, I'm at the end of season 5 (5-19) right now and I can't help but think that I would have left Julia too. Amber cries a lot but she seems like the smartest person on the show.

Manos del Sino posted:

I kind of hated Parenthood. It was fine on a technical level (decent story, acting, etc) but I kind of hated most of the characters except Camille, Joel, Jasmine and Jabar. Something about the J names...

Anyway, I liked Julia until the second-to-last season when she finally wore thin on me, which happens to be about the same time I checked out of the show for good. I don't actually know why I stuck with it as long as I did, it really left me with a knot in my stomach after every episode, usually because of something Zeke or Crosby or Adam did/said.

In his final review of Parenthood, Sepinwall basically points out that while Parenthood wasn't the most focused show on TV, it did have enough variety of characters and storylines that everyone had the one part of the show they enjoyed but also a part they hated.

I'll agree I was almost always turned off by Kristina (oh and Drew. Grow a loving spine already). But that was balanced by my enjoyment of Adam, Amber, and Zeke.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Ruffalo would've been so so good as Columbo. But then Mark Ruffalo can never not be great.

In other news, Firefly isn't that great. Here's the thing about it, it has all the ingredients present that you know one day it'll all fall into place and just work, but the majority of those early episodes are just them trying to work all that out. By the time it feels like they're getting there the show was over.

See, I have the opposite view- one of the reasons I think it has such a rabid cult is it established what it was pretty quickly. The cast dynamic, the look and feel, the sense of place are there from early on- it never felt to me like the awkward fumbling period most shows have to start, even with a few episodes that aren't as good as the rest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Whedon had a pretty good idea of his world from the start, which is part of the appeal since you get the sense there's this rich world that you're just discovering piece by piece. And the cast had a lot of natural chemistry with each other and the characters. But the overall plot and story is kind of clunky and that's the kind of stuff that theoretically shapes up in Season 2. So I do think that's why people were so upset it got cancelled. It felt like it could have been something very good but it just never really had the chance. Especially when you tie in all that scheduling and advertising nonsense.

But it's been a loving decade. Everyone involved in the show moved on. Let's just all agree to get over it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I liked Sam Jackson as Shaft.

I did too, Shaft 2000 was an awesome dumb action movie. It's worth watching for Peoples Hernandez alone.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 23, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

But it's been a loving decade. Everyone involved in the show moved on. Let's just all agree to get over it.

Literally almost none of them have moved on.

Fillion and Tudyk are selling their new webseries to Firefly fans directly, and Fillion is the one who became successful. They all signed on for the MMO too.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Fillion and Tudyk are selling their new webseries to Firefly fans directly, and Fillion is the one who became successful. They all signed on for the MMO too.

The giraffe-necked whore has a fairly successful acting career.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Ruffalo does a Columbo-ish character in Zodiac, which I'm pretty sure is where the idea originated to begin with.

I mean Falk is great, but I honestly don't see that much difference, stature-wise, between the two. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to name any modern actor who could really do the role justice.

donofrio

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Fillion, Tudyk, Baccarin, Torres, and Glau are doing just fine, and that's just based on stuff that I've seen them in.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hopefully Baldwin ends up in a loving ditch with no money ASAP.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whedon did Avengers. Fillion has Castle. Torres has Suits. Baldwin had Chuck. Baccarin has Homeland. Tudyck's been in a bunch of stuff including Frozen, Suburgatory, and Wreck-It-Ralph. Even lesser successful ones like Staite and Glau are basically genre cameo staples and have done stuff like Stargate, Terminator, and Arrow. And all of that is just off the top of my head and from what I've watched.

I mean, I'm sure they're not passing down money for some Firefly project that is offered to them but they've pretty much all gone on to have more success and do more things and its been OVER A DECADE! If they want to keep making money off the people still obsessively buying Jane's hat then more power to them but there's got to be a point where fandoms stop being obsessed about a show no matter how good it might have been or how much it might have got screwed.

But like, I know that's not true because there's stuff like Trekkies and Doctor Who and Star Wars. But still, I can wish.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tudyck was in Tucker and Dale vs Evil which is one of the funniest movies ever made.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tudyk was also in Big Hero 6 and is the 'host' of Newsreaders on adult swim. He was also the voice of the robot in "I, Robot" and was (hilarious) in the original "Death at a Funeral". He's not a blockbuster star, but he's a very busy character actor.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he seems to do a million legitimate things. He seems very successful as a worker. Those few things I named were just the big stuff that came off the top of my head. Like I assume you can make a decent penny off of voice work in hugely successful Disney movies alone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Tudyk was a great straight man in Arrested Development.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

So... I guess nobody cares about Bates Motel? where's the s3 thread up in this bitch? :(

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

Stereotype, not a trope.

Is there really a difference?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

So... I guess nobody cares about Bates Motel? where's the s3 thread up in this bitch? :(

Here you go

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ravane posted:

TV Tropers think that their tropes are precious, that's the difference.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Ah, thanks! Not sure how I missed this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, I've finished Fargo and overall I thought it was really good. That said, some of the production values were kind of sloppy at times and it never seemed to find it's footing again after Buridan's rear end and the time jump.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

A Stereotype occurs in the real world, a trope in the literary world.
You can write about stereotypes in a literary context, you can't talk about tropes in a real world context.... because then it's a stereotype. Tropes are often confused with Cliches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does Banshee have some sort of policy against casting Indian actors as Indians? Meaghan Rath just showed up and I'm like, cmon guys casting an Asian Indian as an American Indian is seriously weird.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Red Road had a similar problem from the episodes of it I'd seen and I'm sure there's other examples.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

hcreight posted:

I'm sure there's other examples.
Ayup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Alan Tudyk was a great straight man in Arrested Development.

Him?

• Locked thread