Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You probably don't want to. There aren't any romance subplots.

If I know anything about modders, that won't be a problem for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

There's a unique pistol on the first map, hidden in a tent south of the caravan camp.

Thanks, glad I don't have to wait too long to shoot things.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I know, he was probably a bad example to use. I just really like how Barbarian isn't "guy who runs at you with a big axe" and Wizard isn't "guy in a robe with a book" and you can actually kind of subvert those classes within the game system (at least, it sounds like it from what I've read so far).
One of the starting rogue gear-sets is brigandine and a greatsword, and smart barbarians are incredibly good. Also, fun note on that: Conan in the books is actually really smart. He's almost better imagined as a rogue than a barbarian in that respect, or a multiclassed one. Wizards, so far, are better played straight as "guy with a book and robes" unfortunately (but now he's buff and hits you with that book), but all of the melee classes can be roleplayed pretty heavily against "type."

WarLocke posted:

New Chanter gameplay here
Seriously though, that's a pretty killer chant that sounds a lot better than what I swear is my chanter yelling "Sacre bleu!" sometimes.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Since some people are already playing, how is the party interaction ? Does your companions talk to each other ? Is there ambient banter (It was one of the things I liked about DA:I, that makes walking around maps a lot better) ?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It'll be interesting to see the documentary come out. If Adam Brennecke gets sick of developing video games he could always have a career as Joseph Gordon-Levitt's stunt-double.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Aaaaaaahhhhhh where are the keys so I can get my lore boooooooook?!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Seriously though, this game looks pretty loving great.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

You probably don't want to. There aren't any romance subplots.

That's what Alpha Protocol, the best dating game ever is for.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Riven posted:

Aaaaaaahhhhhh where are the keys so I can get my lore boooooooook?!

My hardcopy shipped and should arrive tomorrow!
Yaaaay.

Also...Did I really order a hardcopy lore book for a game/world I have never experienced in a video game I have not yet played...in the year of 2015? Dammit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

xthetenth posted:

That's what Alpha Protocol, the best dating game ever is for.

I know this game hasn't even come out yet, but I so want the next Obsidian project to be a Jagged Alliance-style spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol with the Pillars engine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

My hardcopy shipped and should arrive tomorrow!
Yaaaay.

Also...Did I really order a hardcopy lore book for a game/world I have never experienced in a video game I have not yet played...in the year of 2015? Dammit.
I am 100% regretting getting a digital copy of the lore book right now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

rope kid posted:

It was already in 2nd Ed., though if you ever read the 2nd Ed. Hall of Heroes supplement, Drizzt breaks about a dozen rules in how he's built/works. His stats made more sense in the 3E FR hardcover.

Oh, I didn't know that. I don't think I knew anyone who even played Ranger in 2nd ed either so that could be it. Maybe cause everyone just wanted to Polymorph Other everything all the time.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I ordered a lore book from Amazon. I have never bought a companion piece, whether it's a guidebook or figurine or jerk off mice mat, for another game ever.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I hope not all the PoE internet buzz is going to get drowned out by Bloodborne, can't imagine most people talking about much else than that game for at least a week.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Kanfy posted:

I hope not all the PoE internet buzz is going to get drowned out by Bloodborne, can't imagine most people talking about much else than that game for at least a week.

What's a Bloodborne?

lingitiz
Aug 12, 2013

Kanfy posted:

PoE should have long legs since the game is so lengthy, similar to Divinity. People were still talking about that game for months just because it was so massive and word of mouth spread.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Cthulhuite posted:

What's a Bloodborne?

The next game made by the developers of Demons Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Tzarnal posted:

The next game made by the developers of Demons Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

Which is not at all a competition for PoE if genre is to be compared. Also gently caress PS4 exclusives.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Do the classes still have different values for Melee and Ranged Accuracy or did they change that?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Tzarnal posted:

omeg posted:

Which is not at all a competition for PoE if genre is to be compared. Also gently caress PS4 exclusives.

A different genre and exclusive to the PS4? Yeah, I don't think there's any overlap to worry about there.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cthulhuite posted:

A different genre and exclusive to the PS4? Yeah, I don't think there's any overlap to worry about there.

I wouldn't necessarily say that; while it's limited to the crowd with PS4s, I'd imagine there's a decent crossover between old-school RPG fans and D* Souls games, and pretty much all games are competing for space equally on aggregate sites like Reddit and poo poo. If a bunch of Bloodborne posts swarm the front-page/gaming subreddits and push PoE posts down that's probably quite a bit of lost buzz. Not that I think PoE will do BADLY, but still.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

frajaq posted:

Do the classes still have different values for Melee and Ranged Accuracy or did they change that?

Classes now have the one value for Accuracy.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If I lived in a perfect world where I had infinite money, I'd pick up Bloodborne in a heartbeat. No console is worth it for just one game, though, so I think I'll postpone getting it for now.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Insurrectionist posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say that; while it's limited to the crowd with PS4s, I'd imagine there's a decent crossover between old-school RPG fans and D* Souls games

Maybe? I dunno. I tried to love Dark Souls. Timing-based combat, memorizing boss attack patterns.. bleh. Not for me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Classes now have the one value for Accuracy.

That's great, I was kinda bummed out when the Fighter had low ranged accuracy and so making an all-gunner in heavy armor fighter team was put on check. Nice that they changed it!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Traditional western RPGs that are decent have a really long tail in terms of sales. Unless PoE is just a shitshow at launch somehow it'll do fine even if it doesn't set charts on fire this week.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Traditional western RPGs that are decent have a really long tail in terms of sales. Unless PoE is just a shitshow at launch somehow it'll do fine even if it doesn't set charts on fire this week.

It's the topseller on GOG and GMG and #4 on Steam, which is really good considering it isn't even out yet.

So happy to see Obsidian doing well. Warms the cockles of my jaded gamer heart.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Unless Barkley 2 comes out the day before. :(

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Eej posted:

Honestly the only thing that Drizzt ever does that is Ranger-y is live out in the underground wilderness for a while. I'm pretty sure they added the dual wielding template for Rangers in 3.5e because of Drizzt's popularity.

Yeah he's not really that Rangery apart from having Ranger training (the outdoors stuff). In PoE I'd say he's a Rogue with a poo poo-ton of mechanics and stealth skill. Drizzt is all about the dirty fighting, setting traps and laying ambushes.

Fantasy Character class matching game! Aragorn - Fighter? Rogue? Paladin!? (he's got one hell of a fanatical cause going on)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

It's the topseller on GOG and GMG and #4 on Steam, which is really good considering it isn't even out yet.

All 3 editions in top 4 on GoG.
Hopefully it's actually doing as well as it seems.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Rand Al'Thor? Druid.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

Fantasy Character class matching game! Aragorn - Fighter? Rogue? Paladin!? (he's got one hell of a fanatical cause going on)

Ranger? He's sneaky, uses herbalism to heal people, is described as an excellent woodsman, and in the movies at least is handy with a bow. The AD&D Ranger class is essentially based on Aragorn, down to the fact that it requires you to be Good for no particularly logical reason.

Maybe this is a joke that went over my head but I remember an old issue of Inquest that was statting the Fellowship as AD&D characters and they made Aragorn a Paladin instead of a Ranger and I was like "what why"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Aragorn is a human noble.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ranger? He's sneaky, uses herbalism to heal people, is described as an excellent woodsman, and in the movies at least is handy with a bow. The AD&D Ranger class is essentially based on Aragorn, down to the fact that it requires you to be Good for no particularly logical reason.

Maybe this is a joke that went over my head but I remember an old issue of Inquest that was statting the Fellowship as AD&D characters and they made Aragorn a Paladin instead of a Ranger and I was like "what why"

His animal companion is that horse he makes out with, right?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hope Obsidian makes a billion dollars and becomes our new evil EA overlords.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why isn't this coming out sooner than Thursday? Thursday's a dumb day for it to release.

I have Tuesday-Thursday off this week :saddowns:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

His animal companion is that horse he makes out with, right?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Litany Unheard posted:

ropekid, how many surfaces in the office are currently covered in hookers and/or blow?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

cheesetriangles posted:

Rand Al'Thor? Druid.

Oh come on!

He's obviously a Sorcerer :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1stGear posted:

ropekid, how many surfaces in the office are currently covered in hookers and/or blow?

Also have you replaced your normal light sources with bejeweled chandeliers?

• Locked thread