Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TrixRabbi posted:

I can just go buy my own whiskey. That's the coolest thing of all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc&t=263s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

I can just go buy my own whiskey. That's the coolest thing of all.

It is conceptually cooler, yet it doesn't feel as cool.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
That's why you get married, so you can have someone else around whom to sneak liquor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There are lesser films of his that I've dismissed over the years like Power with Richard Gere that I still just start thinking about randomly throughout the day. Maybe I should just make another run through his work and reassess the stuff more off the beaten path.

I'm most struck by Fail-Safe, aka the best Twilight Zone episode ever.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What are the better Lumet deep cuts? I've seen the biggies and have The Verdict queued up. Will check out The Hill/Fail-Safe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

What are the better Lumet deep cuts? I've seen the biggies and have The Verdict queued up. Will check out The Hill/Fail-Safe.

The Wiz, All The King's Men, King, Prince of the City, The Verdict

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Goku is like a conversational black hole. If Dragon Ball Z comes up in conversation it's basically impossible to elegantly segue to a different subject.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"So have you seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, addendum: there is no subject you can elegantly segue to that isn't even worse if bringing up Goku was already a semi-misfire.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The easy way out of someone bringing up Goku is "shut up".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I just start talking about Capcom's old arcade game Son Son, and segue into a discussion of SNK's Psycho Soldier and Athena's subsequent appearances in The King of Fighters. Then I switch gears back to Son Son appearing in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which brings me to Amingo, which is all I wanted to talk about in the first place. I hope he gets his own game some day.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This does not hold true if "someone" is "me" and I am trying to salvage the conversation.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Okay, addendum: there is no subject you can elegantly segue to that isn't even worse if bringing up Goku was already a semi-misfire.

"So, you're not into shounen? You more into comedies like Mai-Hime or slice of life like Haruhi Suzumiya?"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
But for real make a joke and move on and if the person doesn't give you a chance because you like cartoons gently caress 'em anyway. Lots of people in the world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Discount Viscount posted:

I just start talking about Capcom's old arcade game Son Son, and segue into a discussion of SNK's Psycho Soldier and Athena's subsequent appearances in The King of Fighters. Then I switch gears back to Son Son appearing in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which brings me to Amingo, which is all I wanted to talk about in the first place. I hope he gets his own game some day.

Talking about Athena is not a step anyone wants to take on the way to a better conversation.

"How come no one respects SNK's fighters anymore?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I feel that way about Alien, it kills me that you can't really make a sound mix where the dialogue is nested in the room tone like that anymore.

are you thinking specifically of the scene where Parer keeps saying "what?" and Ripley tells him to gently caress off because that's what that makes me think of.

morestuff posted:

i don't know if it's considered major or minor Lumet but Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is great. my coworker's been strongly recommending The Fugitive Kind to me for a while.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wasn't really seeking serious advice there, I just made myself look like George Costanza using a subject this thread seems pretty acquainted with and thought it would amuse y'all v:v:v

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"She gave me the glare of death, Jerry!"

"Shoulda started with American comics. You probably made yourself look snobby."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't know if it's considered major or minor Lumet but Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is great. my coworker's been strongly recommending The Fugitive Kind to me for a while.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead owns, and as expected Philip Seymour Hoffman turned in a great performance.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

Talking about Athena is not a step anyone wants to take on the way to a better conversation.

Ah... well. Yeah.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 is my favorite KOF game anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Ah... well. Yeah.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 is my favorite KOF game anyway.

This is true love we makin'

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

what the gently caress

Consider this: A wild group full of people with different skills fighting with their own unique vehicles against a similarly armed group of evil terrorists. The biggest difference is the scale and there's no metal helmeted arms-dealers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That seems to be an odd angle to take. If fan servicey character design determined if people respected a fighter, no fighting series would be respected what so ever. I mean SNK's empire was built on having the first fighting game to ever have bouncing breasts.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Wiz, All The King's Men, King, Prince of the City, The Verdict

Long Day's Journey Into Night, too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

are you thinking specifically of the scene where Parer keeps saying "what?" and Ripley tells him to gently caress off because that's what that makes me think of.

Yessss

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

Consider this: A wild group full of people with different skills fighting with their own unique vehicles against a similarly armed group of evil terrorists. The biggest difference is the scale and there's no metal helmeted arms-dealers.

Mad Max is GI Joe then?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

Long Day's Journey Into Night, too.

Have they come out with a new release of this yet? From what I remember the old DVD was hideous garbage.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Harime Nui posted:

"So have you seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?"

I really liked the original six episode series, the older one. I like that instead of straightforward DBZ style bashing the series had them actually have to strategize and think what was the Stand that they were facing, it's power, and how to counter it or actually beat the guy. The 3rd episode is my favorite and my go to example of how to build tension without having a single punch thrown. It's a great episode where he outsmarts his foe and it's a poker game...FOR YOUR SOUL! Like the Stand takes the person's soul, then converts them to chips to bargain with and if you lose, your soul gets taken.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd never seen Donnie Brasco before, and it's like finding a Rosetta Stone for the parts of The Sopranos that weren't lifted from Goodfellas. Paul Giamatti and Tim Blake Nelson showing up as FBI Technician No. 1 and FBI Technician No. 2 is fun, too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead owns, and as expected Philip Seymour Hoffman turned in a great performance.

Seen it, but probably owe it a rewatch. Hard to believe that only came out seven years ago.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

Mad Max is GI Joe then?

The Road Warrior is more like Yojimbo with a sci-fi veneer. Fury Road might be along these lines, though, it seems to have more active protagonists than just Max (a key part of this is that it's also an ensemble piece where the protagonists all have superhuman abilities).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

That seems to be an odd angle to take. If fan servicey character design determined if people respected a fighter, no fighting series would be respected what so ever.

Have you seen how fighting games sell?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

I really liked the original six episode series, the older one. I like that instead of straightforward DBZ style bashing the series had them actually have to strategize and think what was the Stand that they were facing, it's power, and how to counter it or actually beat the guy. The 3rd episode is my favorite and my go to example of how to build tension without having a single punch thrown. It's a great episode where he outsmarts his foe and it's a poker game...FOR YOUR SOUL! Like the Stand takes the person's soul, then converts them to chips to bargain with and if you lose, your soul gets taken.

Go watch the most recent seasons of the new anime (Stardust Crusaders). They're adapting the arc that the old OVA was based off of, it's 100x more faithful to the original manga and consequently better (and the OVA still did okay with that fight, so that's really saying something) and they literally just got to the poker game fight you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFvPpJSMxjE

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Have they come out with a new release of this yet? From what I remember the old DVD was hideous garbage.

I think I only ever saw it on VHS actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also it weirds me out that anime and japanese video game circles use the term "fanservice" when they mean cheesecake. It has unfortunate implications about people who consume such media on purpose.

Plus my point about Athena had more to do with her being a disgusting moe blob that represents the artist's fetishes than her being generally sexualized.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The only scene from Alien that I hate.

"Yeah...y....you'll get...what...ever's...com-ing....to....you."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Also it weirds me out that anime and japanese video game circles use the term "fanservice" when they mean cheesecake. It has unfortunate implications about people who consume such media on purpose.

Unfortunate but accurate

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gatts posted:

I haven't seen a single episode of the new series TBH but I loved the first three parts of the manga (I had to give it up because the translation for part four was seriously so bad) for exactly that reason. The best thing about JJBA was the sheer off-the-wall creativity on display and how fights often resolved through the hero coming up with a way out outsmart his opponents using their own rules. This is actually why Battle Tendency is probably my favorite chapter even if it has less crazy-powers-per-character than Stardust Crusaders.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Part 4 has a new good translation and the anime is Real Good, now is the time to be an Anglophone jojo fan

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Jesus Christ it's like 5 dickeyes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Have you seen how fighting games sell?

I'm not really sure you're trying to get at by saying this.

All I'm really saying is that I don't think any of the major fighting games are all that less bad in any aspect you could use to complain about Athena's design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I'm so glad a certain frequent poster here is on probation right now.

• Locked thread