Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Merk is not scum

^^ Still waiting on this, Narcotics. ^^

Amoeba102 posted:

You know who said explicitly they aren't town-aligned - PMom. Why are you going nuts over the elite bodyguard? Are you feeling threatened?

Yo, I want a answer to this.

Somberbrero posted:

I am sorry you rolled a third-party ##vote Numerrik

I would vote for 100 in a pinch, don't have any stronger reads at the moment.

Somberbrero posted:

"My wincon is pro-town" and "I'm town aligned" are not the same thing.

Numerrik hasn't answered what his win condition is.

Somberbrero posted:

The win-condition that Numerrik presented allows him to win alongside the Mafia and he did not respond to questions about why this would be a town alignment.

Somberbrero posted:

My win condition is to eliminate all scum players from the game. I do not have to kill another player during the night to achieve my win condition. Numerrik does have to kill another player during the night to achieve his win condition. His win condition is different than mine, so he is not town.

Somberbrero posted:

Can you expand on that?

The win-condition that Numerrik presented allows him to win alongside the Mafia and he did not respond to questions about why this would be a town alignment.

I <3 how Numerrik gets increasingly sinister as Somberbero's post history continues. It starts off as a policy lynch and slowly becomes a huge existential threat that must be eliminated. It's an absolutely hilarious escalation over the course of three pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh my god somber this semantic argument isn't important.

Yes it is.

Call it what you want but I think I'm right so I'm not going to drop it.

Everyone voting me clearly missed my town breadcrumb.

Somberbrero posted:

##vote merk I'm a cool town boy.

I said it so you can trust me.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ok so, I'm not feeling this numerik thing, I wouldnt put it past ecco to spice up an elite bodyguard by adding using your power as an additional wincon.

The way he reacts reminds me a great deal of someone interested enough to sign up for games but not taking it serious at all, which I can totally relate to,

If anything, now that we fully understand his role and how he says it works, there has to be scum on his lynch right now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

QuoProQuid posted:

^^ Still waiting on this, Narcotics. ^^

Yo, I want a answer to this.

I <3 how Numerrik gets increasingly sinister as Somberbero's post history continues. It starts off as a policy lynch and slowly becomes a huge existential threat that must be eliminated. It's an absolutely hilarious escalation over the course of three pages.

All those posts say the same thing. Did you have a point?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok so, I'm not feeling this numerik thing, I wouldnt put it past ecco to spice up an elite bodyguard by adding using your power as an additional wincon.

The way he reacts reminds me a great deal of someone interested enough to sign up for games but not taking it serious at all, which I can totally relate to,

If anything, now that we fully understand his role and how he says it works, there has to be scum on his lynch right now.

There are three people voting Numerrik.

How do we fully understand his role if he hasn't flipped and there isn't an investigative result?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

And I'd take a bet that one of the three is scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

And I'd take a bet that one of the three is scum.

I would agree.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somber > merk > Jedit? In likelihood of being scum

Not sure. Merk might be more so ahead because Somber just keep digging and I feel like it's more likely to disengage than to double down. Merk has managed to set his vote in stone while disengaging from discussion about it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Somberbrero posted:

There are three people voting Numerrik.

How do we fully understand his role if he hasn't flipped and there isn't an investigative result?

Correct , im saying at least one of those people is scum.

We dont fully understand it, but we understand the claim he has made and its not a stretch to see a secondary win condition being what he has said.

It all fits together, but that isn't really that indicative of alignment either way.

Its a null tell for me right now and I'd want to see what happens during the night before I'd vote for numerik

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Amoeba102 posted:

Right now I'd even go so far as to say that I believe that merk is town.

I'd be willing to bet that either Somber or Jedit is scum for sure.

I'd go Somber>Jedit

I still think Glock is scum too though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why is merk town?

He seems to me like he's being obstinate on points, twisted poor play as something scummy, and excused himself with a policy vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah my opinion on merk is pretty low right now.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Narco and CpIg have said "Merk is town". Explain how?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Amoeba102 posted:

Narco and CpIg have said "Merk is town". Explain how?

I feel like this is pretty typical play for merk?

I'm just not really getting the cases against him, I'm getting a townie vibe.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
merk is playing like an rear end in a top hat but I know he's town. I may know something about him. Just trust me, guys.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You'd have been better off making a thread based reason rather than soft claiming.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

merk is playing like an rear end in a top hat but I know he's town. I may know something about him. Just trust me, guys.

Is this a joke or your actual justification?

If it is the latter, that's an insufficient way of settling my concerns and makes me want to lynch you both. Try again.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

##vote AnonymousNarcotics

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm feeling imgay for scum. Soft claiming this early might be bad play, but it's not scummy.

##vote imgay

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm hard claiming town, get off my back Pinterest Mom.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Somberbrero posted:

All those posts say the same thing. Did you have a point?

It's a reiteration of the shifting goalposts that have formed around numerrik. When it is no longer sufficient to justify his lynch on policy grounds, that his win condition is different from the town, the framework for discussion shifts to his supposed killing abilities, despite numerrik's consistent claims that they are passive. If you want to lynch a third party because he is a third party, that's fine. I disagree that it is always the right policy, but I at least understand the motivation. Trying to pretend that numerrik is somehow a unique threat that actively seeks the death of town players is not acceptable. You are either tunneled so severely on this case that you don't realize how much your rhetoric has changed, or you are scum gradually ramping up pressure against a really awkward new player. It's similar to the issue I have with merk's attack on Glock.

I find your actions especially scummy in light of Mom. As Amoeba points out, your "policy lynch" seems to be inconsistently applied.

Amoeba102 posted:

Not sure. Merk might be more so ahead because Somber just keep digging and I feel like it's more likely to disengage than to double down. Merk has managed to set his vote in stone while disengaging from discussion about it.
I would go merk > Somber > CPig. I think there's definitely scum on the numerrik bandwagon, just because it is such an easy way to claim town cred.

The one issue I'm conflicted about is the relationship between Somber and merk. While both jumped on him almost immediately, I don't get a sense of cooperation between the two players. If merk flipped scum, I would be hesitant to lynch Somber, and vice versa.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm feeling imgay for scum. Soft claiming this early might be bad play, but it's not scummy.

##vote imgay

In what way do you see imgay as more likely to be scum than any of the other candidates discussed?

You've been a little quiet about your reads since the elite bodyguard debacle (1).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

I would go merk > Somber > CPig. I think there's definitely scum on the numerrik bandwagon, just because it is such an easy way to claim town cred.

The one issue I'm conflicted about is the relationship between Somber and merk. While both jumped on him almost immediately, I don't get a sense of cooperation between the two players. If merk flipped scum, I would be hesitant to lynch Somber, and vice versa.

Yeah I reasoned myself in that post to Merk > Somber > Jedit. Not sure where CPig comes in on the "votes on nummerrik has one scum".

Fully though, should add PMom and Keane, since they voted Numerrik at some point but have since rescinded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

The town-aligned win condition is pro-town. There's no inconsistency there. The extra win condition he claimed is also unambiguously pro-town, by the way, unless "HE CAN WIN WITH THE SCUM!!!" is seriously something that bothers you.

I think you missed the bit where numerrik said that his pro-Town win condition was not the Town win condition.

But if you want a rationale as to why he cannot be Town, then fine. Literally the first thing he said as content was that he had an alternate win condition but by telling us about it he was making it harder to achieve. It's not like he was under any kind of pressure, he just came out and said it. It makes no logical sense for him to do that if he can also win with Town. He could simply have kept his mouth shut about it and let us think - accurately, in fact - that he was a straight Townie. It was only after people jumped on him for effectively claiming 3P that he said he could also win with Town. Altogether, it reads to me like a newbie mistake by a 3P: he thought people would be OK with him being 3P if he claimed his goals aligned with the Town, then squirreled when he found out otherwise.

I also have to raise the question of why you're white knighting for him. This is a guy who has played three games and by his own admission doesn't give a poo poo about at least two of them. Why are you acting like he was playing some subtle semantic game with his initial post, even after he has already admitted he wasn't?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

In what way do you see imgay as more likely to be scum than any of the other candidates discussed?

You've been a little quiet about your reads since the elite bodyguard debacle (1).

Jumping on AN for soft-claiming this way makes no sense. Certainly we're not looking at a merk/AN scumteam, scum merk/town AN makes no sense, and I don't see a reason for scum AN to defend merk with a soft claim.

So why vote AN? It's a lazy vote that's exploiting "AN did something weird" as a justification to lay down a read. It's scummy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah I reasoned myself in that post to Merk > Somber > Jedit. Not sure where CPig comes in on the "votes on nummerrik has one scum".

Fully though, should add PMom and Keane, since they voted Numerrik at some point but have since rescinded.

I haven't really focused much attention on Jedit and CapitalistPig's latest posts still ping as odd to me. That's more gut than anything.

Keane strikes me as genuine, especially after he realizes nummerrik has played only three games. He also seems to realize how easily the case against nummerick can be exploited (1).

PMom's post about her alignment, which she has still not explained, makes me feel better about her. It reads less like a scum slip and more an "Aha!" moment degenerating into real confusion.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, QPQ, I agree. There are things about PMom which are not suspicious. PMom is admittedly 3P though and the different reaction compared to numerrik is telling for other players.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Less Serious: Can someone tell me when "dunk" and "white knighting" became a standard part of Mafia lingo? It's been a few months since I played my last mafia game, but I've never seen these terms ever pop up in context of Mafia. "Dunk" seems especially weird.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dunk is a euphemism for lynch, which some people prefer to not use. It's just over a month old.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Numerik's added win-con actually seems pretty reasonable and, if as described, is not anti-town in any way. He literally only wins if town wins or if he dies killing mafia. Both of those are pro-town

TBH I don't feel like any of the people getting really worked up on either side of the numerik poo poo are too scummy.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Oh, Jesus loving Christ you are terrible. "It's not fair to say I'm a dumb newbie, I'm a really dumb newbie!"

##vote numerrik

This poo poo though, this poo poo is probably the scummiest post in the whole thread

##Vote Jedit

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Actually I stand by that comment and want to lynch Jedit but for real why are we just overlooking the fact that P-mom literally said he wasn't town aligned? That seems super loving relevant.

##Unvote ##Vote P-Mom

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jedit also made this post which pinged me as scummy. It's not only defensive, but pre-defensive and simultaneously offensive, trying to dissuade people from voting for him both by appealing to pity and by saying "I might case you for being scummy if you vote for me".

Jedit posted:

No, I'm being defensive because being lynched before I can get started is getting pretty loving tiresome. That's part of why I haven't played a game in a while.

(Cue several "humour" votes including at least one scum, so I'm going to bed.)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Quandary posted:

Actually I stand by that comment and want to lynch Jedit but for real why are we just overlooking the fact that P-mom literally said he wasn't town aligned? That seems super loving relevant.

##Unvote ##Vote P-Mom

Jeez. Again we have to say that 3P doesn't necessarily mean anti-town. You know what is anti-town? Scum like you!

##vote jedit

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Jeez. Again we have to say that 3P doesn't necessarily mean anti-town. You know what is anti-town? Scum like you!

##vote jedit

Oh wow I'm a dummy again. This isn't jedit but you're both pretty scummy. Leaving my vote on jedit.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

##vote jedit

3P does mean anti-town almost always. Even Numerik who has an additional win condition said he was town aligned. P-Mom literally said that he does not win with the town, which means he likely does not have incentive to look for scum, and possibly has incentive to actively avoid looking for scum

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Oh wow I'm a dummy again. This isn't jedit but you're both pretty scummy. Leaving my vote on jedit.

QuoProQuid posted:

Is this a joke or your actual justification?

If it is the latter, that's an insufficient way of settling my concerns and makes me want to lynch you both. Try again.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Okay 3rd times a charm. I'm at rehearsal so I'm trying to do this surreptitiously.

I think Quandarys post was stupid, and definitely sounded scummy, but this is the first thing that stood out to me as being scummy from him.

A lot of people pointed out scummy things jedit said so I'm fine with voting him. I'll find quotes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quandary posted:

P-Mom literally said that he does not win with the town, which means he likely does not have incentive to look for scum, and possibly has incentive to actively avoid looking for scum

Well now you're just lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

I think you missed the bit where numerrik said that his pro-Town win condition was not the Town win condition.

But if you want a rationale as to why he cannot be Town, then fine. Literally the first thing he said as content was that he had an alternate win condition but by telling us about it he was making it harder to achieve. It's not like he was under any kind of pressure, he just came out and said it. It makes no logical sense for him to do that if he can also win with Town. He could simply have kept his mouth shut about it and let us think - accurately, in fact - that he was a straight Townie. It was only after people jumped on him for effectively claiming 3P that he said he could also win with Town. Altogether, it reads to me like a newbie mistake by a 3P: he thought people would be OK with him being 3P if he claimed his goals aligned with the Town, then squirreled when he found out otherwise.

I also have to raise the question of why you're white knighting for him. This is a guy who has played three games and by his own admission doesn't give a poo poo about at least two of them. Why are you acting like he was playing some subtle semantic game with his initial post, even after he has already admitted he wasn't?

First of all, he said from the start his win condition was pro-town, which his claimed win condition is. Secondly, his play doesn't make "logical sense" to begin with so it's not like we can say he was pulling some gambit or anything. Claiming was a newbie mistake on his part but I don't understand why it's a mistake a townie with his role could not make. Finally, I'm not at all saying he was playing some subtle semantic game. Several times I've said the opposite: that numerik is a player who has trouble articulating his thoughts clearly, a trait that is fairly common among people new to Mafia.

I'm "white-knighting" him because I think lynching a new player for playing like a new player is stupid and unfair.

• Locked thread