Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

dMastri posted:

There were maybe 3 good episodes

and the season finale was, in the words of t'pol, "appalling"

bad writing, bad casting, miserable failure.

The majority is season 4 is brilliant.

The last episode doesn't exist la la la la I can't hear you la la laa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
There was this episode of Enterprise where Archer and Reed were on some pre-warp alien world in the midst of a cold war between the two continents. Theyre wearing rubber foreheads to blend in because prime directive. Well some people catch them with neat space technology and capture them, thinking theyre spies from the other continent. Well anyways they realize their foreheads are rubber, their blood is wrong, their insides are all wrong and actually better than their own feeble insides, thus conclude that these alien-esque dudes with laserguns must be genetically engineered super soldiers from their neighbors who are now clearly plotting an invasion. Reed says "blimey guvnah, maybe we should tell them the truth by this point?" and Archers all "lolnope we gotta die before giving up the secret of space." Well in the meantime the Enterprise crew flies down into the upper atmosphere to get better scans to find their pals, and in that time photos are taken. So now these dudes think that their neighbors not only have engineered supermen, laser guns, and cellular phones, but also have very large high-flying aircraft flying over their airspace!

"should we say something now?"
"gently caress off, human being!"

Ok so now Archer and Reed are literally lined up against a wall to get executed with their own phasers. Suddenly the cloaked pod the Enterprise has laying around smashes through the ceiling, dudes pour out of it guns blazing, take their crew back, then fly off. Invisibly. Archer pats himself on the back for upholding the prime directive, while now one government thinks their neighbors have space age weapons and genetic technology, including invisible spaceships, and are currently using said amazing technology to mount some kind of attack or invasion.

These are our heroes. We are supposed to be on their side!

(When faced with a similar situation, Picard tried to fix it from the shadows. When that just made things worse he cut the bullshit and beamed down and explained everything.)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
"The Prime Directive" is loving bullshit, it's just there to satisfy the drake equation for ultra-autists. Oh, why don't aliens fix all our problems? It couldn't possibly because they either don't exist or because space travel is too slow and inefficient for doing anything except exploiting resources within a solar system, they clearly must have rules against it!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i protest, i am not a merry man!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The prime directive exists because the Vulcans love parking their ships in high orbit and watching a plague or famine sweep across a planet under the guise of conducting research. For them its like Japanese whaling.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

There was this episode of Enterprise where Archer and Reed were on some pre-warp alien world in the midst of a cold war between the two continents. Theyre wearing rubber foreheads to blend in because prime directive. Well some people catch them with neat space technology and capture them, thinking theyre spies from the other continent. Well anyways they realize their foreheads are rubber, their blood is wrong, their insides are all wrong and actually better than their own feeble insides, thus conclude that these alien-esque dudes with laserguns must be genetically engineered super soldiers from their neighbors who are now clearly plotting an invasion. Reed says "blimey guvnah, maybe we should tell them the truth by this point?" and Archers all "lolnope we gotta die before giving up the secret of space." Well in the meantime the Enterprise crew flies down into the upper atmosphere to get better scans to find their pals, and in that time photos are taken. So now these dudes think that their neighbors not only have engineered supermen, laser guns, and cellular phones, but also have very large high-flying aircraft flying over their airspace!

"should we say something now?"
"gently caress off, human being!"

Ok so now Archer and Reed are literally lined up against a wall to get executed with their own phasers. Suddenly the cloaked pod the Enterprise has laying around smashes through the ceiling, dudes pour out of it guns blazing, take their crew back, then fly off. Invisibly. Archer pats himself on the back for upholding the prime directive, while now one government thinks their neighbors have space age weapons and genetic technology, including invisible spaceships, and are currently using said amazing technology to mount some kind of attack or invasion.

These are our heroes. We are supposed to be on their side!

(When faced with a similar situation, Picard tried to fix it from the shadows. When that just made things worse he cut the bullshit and beamed down and explained everything.)

these are all reasons why trek is so good.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gutcruncher posted:

*gets shot by arrow*

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm rewatching TOS and for pretty much the first half of season 1 someone harrases Yeoman Rand pretty every episode. Like in that one episode where Kirk has to explain to someone it's not appropriate to slap her butt in the corridor. Man the 2260s were a different time.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think the real magic of tng is the casting.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

dMastri posted:

I think the real magic of tng is the casting.

without a doubt. a lot of people involved in trek said that roddenberry's real talent was casting.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Just rewatched Darmok and I think my favorite part is when the Enterprise crew finds that they cant understand a drat word these aliens are saying, so Picard tries his hand at communication which is just him speaking normal English but really loudly.

That's the OG universal translator

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

opus111 posted:

without a doubt. a lot of people involved in trek said that roddenberry's real talent was casting.

I thought his real talent was slaying massive amounts of pussy on the casting couch?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blistex posted:

I thought his real talent was slaying massive amounts of pussy on the casting couch?

Gene Rod-and-berries

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the reason that enterprise was bad was the opening theme song, and thats why no one watched it imo

wasnt it like u2 or rod stewart or smoethin

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It was a very bad song

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i remember when enterprise first came out i was 13.. super pumped about this new show i could watch with my dad who loved star trek too - man its about before the original series how cool will that be!!!!

*opening theme song plays*

me and dad looked at eachother with this cringe, what the gently caress

didnt watch past the first season

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Still, with noise being made this very week about a full on X-Files additional season, the era of streaming-site demographic data mining is going to eventually prove out that the only people with money left in the disappearing middle class are huge nerds entrenched as systems programmers in the banking industry that would love to see a proper 7 seven season trek series that continues on where voyager left off. None of this dipping back into the temporal cold war or the JJ Abrams light show. It is a near certainty that the numbers will eventually bear out and we will again get back to a whole-hog, jumpsuts and insufferable bajorans Next Trek.

And is only going to take continued economic meltdown to get it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

wotyh it imo.

the enterprise theme is atrocious. the okayish soundtrack for the ending credits was aupposd to be the main theme.

its been a long time...

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

Still, with noise being made this very week about a full on X-Files additional season, the era of streaming-site demographic data mining is going to eventually prove out that the only people with money left in the disappearing middle class are huge nerds entrenched as systems programmers in the banking industry that would love to see a proper 7 seven season trek series that continues on where voyager left off. None of this dipping back into the temporal cold war or the JJ Abrams light show. It is a near certainty that the numbers will eventually bear out and we will again get back to a whole-hog, jumpsuts and insufferable bajorans Next Trek.

And is only going to take continued economic meltdown to get it.

where in your head does an economic meltdown translate to a new star trek tv series

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TEAYCHES posted:

the reason that enterprise was bad was the opening theme song, and thats why no one watched it imo

wasnt it like u2 or rod stewart or smoethin

The song wasn't very good but I thought the visuals were better than the usual "the fukken Enterprise flies past a bunch of times"

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i agree the visuals were good.

this was good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbsZRbwbJ4

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

instead of continuing off of voyager they should retcon voyager, start over, and instead of voyager being bad, they should make it good

keep the maquis ship and play up the tension between the federation and maquis. have a season where the maquis officer has the federation captain held hostage. when they get back to federation space they are all treated like poo poo and the leaders get court martialed for war crimes in the delta quadrant, are found guilty and executed

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the fall of the federation please

or something liek TNG where its just stand alone serials and the fed is at the height of its smug power.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TEAYCHES posted:

where in your head does an economic meltdown translate to a new star trek tv series

The only people left with disposable income will be +55 year old STEM single greyboards & greyhairs, meaning they'll be the last people worth advertising to so the merged, combined last gasps of Amazon Video, Netflix and Hulu (HuZonLix) will throw a hail mary to them and hope to sell adspace to Ham Radio antenna installers and reproduction Sea Captain's hat milliners.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Warf: Captain, our scanners indicate that the entire planet is populated by cissexual heteronormative white males.
Picard: Hmm, yes this is indeed quite problematic.
Troi: While they may be shitlords I am sure that if I just screamed at them loudly enough my powers of empathy would make them reconsider their primitive gender roles.
Picard: No, it's too dangerous. Who knows how they could trigger you?
Data: Captain, perhaps I could be of assistance. As an grey ace autist I may seem less threatening to them?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Data would never have made it past the court martial for slut-shaming Tasha Yar.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Enterprise's theme song is something I'm ashamed to kinda enjoy, despite it being objectively loving terrible. The series was cancelled just as it got good... if anybody gave up on it and wants to give it another chance, just watch the last season (but skip the actual finale).

Wasn't Stargate Universe basically the exact same premise as Star Trek Voyager? The first few episodes were interesting but then it quickly lost my interest

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The only sci fi show that kept the "spaceships running the gauntlet through hostile space trying to find home" plot that wasn't awful was Battlestar Galactica, and even He, Ronald D. Moore, hosed it up at the end.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

TEAYCHES posted:

"spaceships running the gauntlet through hostile space trying to find home" plot
It sounds like such a promising concept, but then you realize that the difference between it and "bandwagon to the stars" is that they both visit a lot of planets but one's between-episodes normalcy is rooted in angst and the other is chill.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Either concepts are good if the writing is good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I liked the enterprise finale

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I liked those kinds of shows better when they were called The Odyssey. :smug:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I liked that at the end of the first season of Stargate Atlantis they decided that they wanted to get Earth involved with the show, so they came up with a good way allow regular contact and travel between Earth along with supply runs and personnel shifts. The ZPM at Atlantis allowed for gate travel to but not from Earth, with a ship running back and forth between the galaxies which takes about 3 weeks each way. It allowed them to not have to constantly be under tight supply constraints and explain away things like "redshirts keep dying why isnt Atlantis a ghost town? Also how many bullets did they take with them?" while not entirely doing away with its initial concept, they still cant get reinforcements from Earth if poo poo hits the fan. It also allowed the show to plausibly sometimes have a spaceship and sometimes not.

Voyager just kinda had infinite supplies and redshirts for some reason

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I hope the pillow is ok

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

he's doing like the hulk hogan leg drop on that alien

no wait it's more of a "plant my feet on the wall and assault his face with my mighty glutes" then... fall on my rear end

WTF

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I hope the pillow is ok

Roddenberry banged some extra on it later that day...so maybe?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
i still want show like voyager only instead of just flying around doing regular star trek poo poo the crew realizes they'll probably never find out how to go home so they just become debauched space pirates

fly the ship drunk, blow up moons out of boredom, beam down to less developed civilizations in costumes and hand out weapons like gods then beam back up and take bets on which factions win, sack the ships of every other less developed space-faring race they run into

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fabricated posted:

i still want show like voyager only instead of just flying around doing regular star trek poo poo the crew realizes they'll probably never find out how to go home so they just become debauched space pirates

fly the ship drunk, blow up moons out of boredom, beam down to less developed civilizations in costumes and hand out weapons like gods then beam back up and take bets on which factions win, sack the ships of every other less developed space-faring race they run into

No way. Janeway knows that "Federation Values" are the only thing preventing a mutiny. Without the stabilizing influence Federation values on the crew, Tuvok would slit her throat himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Monkey Fracas posted:

he's doing like the hulk hogan leg drop on that alien

no wait it's more of a "plant my feet on the wall and assault his face with my mighty glutes" then... fall on my rear end

WTF

in retrospect it's easy to see why the trek that had little to no violence because a wise bald man solved their problems ethically became so popular

• Locked thread