Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MH Knights posted:

Well it looks like I may be shelling out $15 a month for the new HBO streaming service. I managed to avoid spoilers about about S1 - 3 but had two of the major deaths of S4 spoiled. Time to start watching the show as it premiers instead of waiting a year for the season disc set to be released.

Fifteen bucks sounds about what I'd expect. If you're already a cable/HBO subscriber, does that mean HBO Go goes away or will a streaming service still be part of the package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I would kill for them to offer that in the UK (well I wouldn't kill but I'd give them £10 a month). loving Sky.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ballz posted:

Fifteen bucks sounds about what I'd expect. If you're already a cable/HBO subscriber, does that mean HBO Go goes away or will a streaming service still be part of the package?

HBO hasn't released any concrete details I think this is a streaming service for those that only have internet and not a cable tv package. HBO Go may still be an option for those with the normal cable subscription.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Way back in season one we were all bitching about this and how complicated it was using terms like carriage fees. This is a great time to be alive.

I mean, I'm stealing it from my brother's in-laws but you know, for the norms it's great.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
New trailers out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwRdVw82Jd8

Only a month left :c00l:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MH Knights posted:

HBO hasn't released any concrete details I think this is a streaming service for those that only have internet and not a cable tv package. HBO Go may still be an option for those with the normal cable subscription.

Yeah, I don't know why they're branding HBO Go and HBO Now differently, because outside of the likelihood the latter is open to non-cable-subscribers, it seems like the exact same service in a user experience sense.

Maybe HBO Now will have different library access, or will handle live-air differently or something. All I know is this: I'm slightly resentful I need to get an Apple TV to use it. I like my Roku and use Amazon Prime. A different device just for one app is frustrating.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

In other Game of Thrones News:

"Police in Northern Ireland say they have intercepted a plot by dissident Republicans to bomb the set of the top-rated fantasy TV show Game of Thrones."

http://rt.com/uk/239289-game-thrones-bombing-ireland/

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Here's something completely different while we wait, Maori Haka set to the GoT opening theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmplaXNCxek&t=315s

Yes in New Zealand they have an annual national competition for tribal dance groups, it's kind of awesome.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/game-of-thrones-tv-show-will-spoil-books

Aww yeah. Looking forward to 2017 when this becomes the new spoiler thread.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

So they have the iron throne set up at sf city hall for the Premiere, managed to get a pic and got up close but couldn't get a good picture before I was shooed away

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I thought HBO was going to make some prequel season, Rob and Ned's Excellent Rebellion Adventures, or some side stories rather than pass the books? I know GRRM handed over his notes and future plot outline/draft but I never thought he would take this drat long to release the next book.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MH Knights posted:

I thought HBO was going to make some prequel season, Rob and Ned's Excellent Rebellion Adventures, or some side stories rather than pass the books? I know GRRM handed over his notes and future plot outline/draft but I never thought he would take this drat long to release the next book.

GRRM has floated the idea, but the show runners say they have zero desire to do it and want to wrap up the show after 7 seasons or so. At best, you might have a new, separate series that takes place in the Game of Thrones universe pop up at some point (The Tales of Dunk and Egg would work pretty well in this format)

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Assuming you guys have heard it already: Game of Thrones Creators Confirm the Show Will Spoil the Books

As a person who hasn't read the books, and has had to sit by while people on this forum post spoilers, buy red text avatars, quote my posts with innuendo and hints, tell me "Oh you sweet summer child,"

SHOE'S ON THE OTHER FOOT NOW, BITCH.

My wife has said she won't be watching the series if this really happens. I told her I'll watch it, and then I can sit back and giggle with a poo poo-eating grin as she reads the final two books, knowing what's going to happen and who is going to die.

And I can buy red text for everyone in The Book Barn who posts in the ASOIAF thread.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Liam Emsa posted:

Assuming you guys have heard it already: Game of Thrones Creators Confirm the Show Will Spoil the Books

As a person who hasn't read the books, and has had to sit by while people on this forum post spoilers, buy red text avatars, quote my posts with innuendo and hints, tell me "Oh you sweet summer child,"

My wife has said she won't be watching the series if this really happens. I told her I'll watch it, and then I can sit back and giggle with a poo poo-eating grin as she reads the final two books, knowing what's going to happen and who is going to die.

And I can buy red text for everyone in The Book Barn who posts in the ASOIAF thread.

Book Barn Thread realized the books would never be finished sometime around 2008 and to the extent they care already follow the show. Please, waste your money.

MH Knights posted:

I thought HBO was going to make some prequel season, Rob and Ned's Excellent Rebellion Adventures, or some side stories rather than pass the books?

That was just GRRM hoping to get more time to write the books, which he needs because he writes at an ever-decreasing pace.

quote:

I know GRRM handed over his notes and future plot outline/draft but I never thought he would take this drat long to release the next book.

:allears:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Executive summary of Episode 1: Butts.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Also Lancel 2.0 is fiiiiiiiine.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ultramiraculous posted:

Also Lancel 2.0 is fiiiiiiiine.

New actor or new look?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Maarak posted:

New actor or new look?

Looked it up after I posted. Same actor new look, apparently. He pulled a Ser Lorras and grew into himself + a new look for plot reasons I guess.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ultramiraculous posted:

Looked it up after I posted. Same actor new look, apparently. He pulled a Ser Lorras and grew into himself + a new look for plot reasons I guess.

Link?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Can't find anything released that shows the difference really... It's exacerbated by Cersei actually saying "oh cousin Lancel, you look different", which was apparently less soap opera re-cast and more plot :words:.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Much of the audience didn't have the benefit of me pasting a 50-character "Where are they now?" post you had to scroll past every week last season that included Lancel and a dozen other characters that haven't been seen in 2 to 3 seasons now.

What's going on with Gendry, you guys. :smith:

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Ballz posted:

What's going on with Gendry, you guys. :smith:
He's rowing, still rowing. All the way to Mereen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quick question- in what order were the Baratheon Bros born?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

C-Euro posted:

Quick question- in what order were the Baratheon Bros born?

Robert, Stannis, Renly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Should have died in the same order.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So we're still a couple of weeks out, but I just wanted to talk for a moment about the new thread. I can make the first episode thread unless someone else has a burning desire to, but starting in late April/early May I'm going to be moving so my Internet presence will be sporadic at best during that time. Someone else would have to take over episode duties for a while.

Unless... we just stick with one single thread for the season. This off-season thread has been pretty dead and I'm not sure if TV IV liveposting is quite as crazy as it used to be. I can't think of any other show in recent memory that warranted a new thread every week.

About the only advantage to closing the thread with each new episode is because it inevitably went to poo poo after about five days or so since we're all terrible at watching television.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Ballz posted:

GRRM has floated the idea, but the show runners say they have zero desire to do it and want to wrap up the show after 7 seasons or so. At best, you might have a new, separate series that takes place in the Game of Thrones universe pop up at some point (The Tales of Dunk and Egg would work pretty well in this format)

How does HBO's rights work? Do they have the rights to everything GoT based in all media formats including movies?

Maybe after the show's ended we might end up with a Peter Jackson style trilogy or something similar to the way they did LotR and then waited 10 years and did Hobbit.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

How Darwinian posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/game-of-thrones-tv-show-will-spoil-books

Aww yeah. Looking forward to 2017 when this becomes the new spoiler thread.

You won't have to wait that long. Last season's White Walker/baby scene may have already been a spoiler. This season will also probably have a ton of spoilers of stuff that hasn't been published yet. Either way, it's probably not going to be anything like the books, so show only watchers probably won't have to worry too much about major spoilers from book readers either. We're at a point where we're at least 50% in all new territory. I know on paper it looks like the show is still two books behind GRRM, and they sort of are, but GRRM made it impossible for them to adapt those two books without them making huge cuts/alterations to the story so that it works on the show. Books 4 and 5 made prominent roles of a whole host of minor characters that the show never really established, or had been cut out entirely, so much so that many of the major characters almost took a back seat, or their plots didn't move much at all. Suffice it to say that the shift in focus on these new and minor characters slowed down the plot considerably, something D&D are loathe to do at this point in the story. It's more likely that they will cut out most of those characters' plots and just gloss over the events of books 4 and 5 with significant cuts and alterations in an effort to speed up the plot and avoid character clutter. That's bad news for poor old GRRM who's already struggling to keep up with the pace of the show. I think he's come to accept it at this point though.

edit: Here's a brief summary of how the seasons were adapted

season 1 - very faithful to book 1 with some cuts
season 2 - faithful to book 2 but with a lot of cuts and minor changes
season 3 - mostly faithful to the first 2/3 of book 3 with a lot of cuts and minor changes, some characters merged/cut
season 4 - somewhat faithful to parts of book 3 and a bit of books 4 and 5 with some significant alterations and a lot of characters merged/cut
season 5 - probably not going to be very faithful at all, but will be more a less a very loose adaptation of the end of book 3 and books 4 and 5 with a huge amount of cuts and alterations probably a ton of character merges. It's anybody's guess at this point.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 27, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Liam Emsa posted:

I'm sure there are people out there that will actually be mad about this, but I'll echo what someone else posted earlier: people in the book barn never actually thought the books would be finished before the series, and are actually looking forward to getting new info on the story from the show. I know I am, because I don't really want to sit around and wait to find out about the story from GRRM himself; he takes far too long and his prose is kinda . . . iffy.

I know there are a lot of trolls that just say: "LOL, just read a book idiot" when show watchers get spoiled. I've never really been one of those people, and personally, I've started telling people not to bother with the books at this point. There are so many better pieces of literature out there that you could spend your time with, and still get the same basic story from the show.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 30, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
S5 is going to likely be the least faithful season yet but at the same time it's looking likely to be the best one yet too, D&D are fairly capable guys mostly and I think they can carry this series to the end.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BillBear posted:

S5 is going to likely be the least faithful season yet but at the same time it's looking likely to be the best one yet too, D&D are fairly capable guys mostly and I think they can carry this series to the end.

. . . kinda. When they've invented scenes based off of material, it's been gold. Creating stuff whole cloth has been pretty terrible though, but that might just be my own tastes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At least they toned down the pointless sex scenes. Pod's Rod withstanding.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Max posted:

. . . kinda. When they've invented scenes based off of material, it's been gold. Creating stuff whole cloth has been pretty terrible though, but that might just be my own tastes.

D&D are awesome when they just have characters talking/insulting each other but when they try going beyond that they usually start to fail.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

BillBear posted:

D&D are awesome when they just have characters talking/insulting each other but when they try going beyond that they usually start to fail.

Yup. It gets real dicey.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Any examples of stuff they made up? I'm curious now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Clevermuldoon posted:

Caveat: Don't search this stuff on google, I bet there are spoilers everywhere.

The two big ones that stood out were:

Yara's Magical Boat adventure to save Theon.

Also, Carl Tanner, the legend of Gin Alley, along with the entire storyline with Jon going back to Craster's to eliminate the mutinous brothers. This was mostly invented to pad out the story at the Wall, so that the big battle at Castle Black could happen in episode 9. The story with the mutineers is wildly different in the books, but I'm not going to get into that.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Clevermuldoon posted:

I'm just spoilering this to be careful All of the interactions between Arya and Tywin in season 2, as well as a lot of the Arya and Hound stuff in season 4 after the fight at the inn. The side plot with Karl "the Fookin Legend" Tanner and the Night's Watch was all entirely new. So some really good stuff, and some pretty bad stuff.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ballz posted:

So we're still a couple of weeks out, but I just wanted to talk for a moment about the new thread. I can make the first episode thread unless someone else has a burning desire to, but starting in late April/early May I'm going to be moving so my Internet presence will be sporadic at best during that time. Someone else would have to take over episode duties for a while.

Unless... we just stick with one single thread for the season. This off-season thread has been pretty dead and I'm not sure if TV IV liveposting is quite as crazy as it used to be. I can't think of any other show in recent memory that warranted a new thread every week.

About the only advantage to closing the thread with each new episode is because it inevitably went to poo poo after about five days or so since we're all terrible at watching television.

FYI, I'm down with being one of the "Can answer questions" people again.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

kiimo posted:

At least they toned down the pointless sex scenes. Pod's Rod withstanding.

The "play with her arse" scene rang and wants to know why you're ignoring its calls. Also the entire character of Ros, the pre-show for Theon's castration, and I'm certain there are more I'm forgetting.

On the bright side they do seem to have mostly excised the bizarre lesbian excursion Dany had in book 3, so I guess they have some restraint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I meant toned it down lately. Ros was a good character and had a good arc with a horrifying end. I'm glad she was in there.

• Locked thread