Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Can anyone attempt to interpret whether the film was subtly trying to say something about technology? I noticed that throughout the entire movie there's practically no current technology - no cell phones, all corded phones, older TVs, seemingly everything they throw into the pool is some sort of old technology or equipment, etc. Yet inexplicably, the one girl has this weird clamshell e-reader that she ominously quotes from sometimes, which I'm fairly sure doesn't exist in reality.

What was the underlying message there? It seems like there was some sort of message about modern electronics, but I'm at a complete loss for what that message might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Can anyone attempt to interpret whether the film was subtly trying to say something about technology? I noticed that throughout the entire movie there's practically no current technology - no cell phones, all corded phones, older TVs, seemingly everything they throw into the pool is some sort of old technology or equipment, etc. Yet inexplicably, the one girl has this weird clamshell e-reader that she ominously quotes from sometimes, which I'm fairly sure doesn't exist in reality.

What was the underlying message there? It seems like there was some sort of message about modern electronics, but I'm at a complete loss for what that message might be.

I think it fulfills the same purpose as the strange tone of the dialogue: it's trying to bring about the same feeling of alienation from events that the main character is feeling.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It seemed more specific than that to me. Maybe it was meant to make fun of how young people communicate now. Everyone interacts instead of staring at a screen, except the one who basically has a high-tech Juno hamburger phone.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

It seemed more specific than that to me. Maybe it was meant to make fun of how young people communicate now. Everyone interacts instead of staring at a screen, except the one who basically has a high-tech Juno hamburger phone.

For me, I think it as part of that 80's vibe that they were trying to cultivate. Between the soundtrack and the strange, retro technology choices, I think they were really trying to make a genuinely 80's-feeling horror film. I really enjoyed this movie, especially the soundtrack. And any time I was a total wuss blanket and looked away from the screen in anticipation, I noticed that nearly everyone else in the audience was covering their faces. To me, that's a really good sign of its quality as a horror movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But I wanted it to hit VOD early.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

From David Robert Mitcehell's AV Club interview:

DRM posted:

There are production design elements from the ’50s on up to modern day. A lot of it is from the ’70s and ’80s. That e-reader cell phone—or “shell phone”—you’re talking about is not a real device. It’s a ’60s shell compact that we turned into a cell phone e-reader. So I wanted modern things, but if you show a specific smartphone now, it dates it. It’s too real for the movie. It would bother me anyway. So we made one up. And all of that is really just to create the effect of a dream—to place it outside of time, and to make people wonder about where they are. Those are things that I think happen to us when we have a dream.

Myth of the American Sleepover (which is also pretty good) had this out-of-time, dream-like vibe as well.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 22, 2015

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Caught this last night. I liked it, with reservations. The biggest plus is the way it feels like a dream of an eighties throwback film, using all the bits and pieces but not using them with quotes - it's enough that the film trusts us to be aware of them. At its best it's really, really moody, particularly in conjunction with the soundtrack, which is retro but also hugely evocative. At its worst, though, it's overly mannered, and while I don't think the last act is a disappointment, it did feel a little arbitrary, and maybe too ambiguous. I wish the characters had had more developmental interaction, mostly. Surprisingly, I didn't find it particularly scary, and I'm a huge horror weenie - except for the moment with the pool of blood, which scared me in an "animal brain" way, which is the best way it was more suspenseful than nightmarish.

Great score, though, and I loved the use of Detroit and the surrounding areas.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't figure this wide release out. Is it hitting a bunch of theaters this next weekend or the following weekend? The sites that said the movie is getting a wide release were all kind of unclear.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Cool, the VOD release was cancelled and there are still no theatres around me showing it.

gently caress this movie.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
If any of you live in Vancouver and are wanting to see it, apparently it's released this Friday:

http://www.viff.org/theatre/films/fc8411-it-follows

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This movie is definitely one of the better horror films to come out in a while and I saw it in this little theater almost alone that had retro trappings. It was great. I love how they're subtle as hell about everything, like how at the end it takes the form of her dad but she's just not like OH NO IT LOOKS LIKE DADDY, they have the sense to let you understand what's happening by giving you cues in the background in pretty much every single scene. You end up just like Jay, glancing over the character's shoulders and watching every single person in motion on the screen.

Also it looks like my multiplex is getting it and they're really gonna do a wide theater release for it. And thank god they do, it loving deserves it.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
No VOD now?? The closest theater it's showing at is not even in my state over 200 miles away. I live in Philadelphia, this is not a problem that such a critically acclaimed movie should have. Some executive really dropped the loving ball on this one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think they cancelled the VOD because it was doing better than expected and they're giving it wider release from 32 theaters to 1000. Unfortunately home releases are on tuesday and theatrical releases are on Fridays. Still that means that just because it's still not playing near you now, it doesn't mean it will nit be coming near you. At worst you'll just have to wait a little longer for the VOD.

I know it's aggravating to have this delayed but this is a very good thing for a very good movie. It's nice this movie is actually being given a chance to make money.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Egyptian here in Seattle has it on the billboard as "INDIE HIT IT FOLLOWS".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is that AMC theaters apparently will not show a movie that is also on demand at that moment, do if they want the wide release they literally had to delay the VOD release.,

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Why are some of you whining about the release? The expansion date is the exact same date as the VOD release (March 27th). "Boo hoo they cancelled the VOD release and the movie wasn't released wide the split second they made that decision." Just be patient!

I saw this back at TIFF and enjoyed it, didn't love it like a lot of people, but I'm itching to see it again to know if it holds up. I thought the handling of sexuality was a little muddled (and the misinterpretations by some people I've seen online aren't surprising), but it's a fun spooky ride nonetheless.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

pkfan2004 posted:

This movie is definitely one of the better horror films to come out in a while and I saw it in this little theater almost alone that had retro trappings. It was great. I love how they're subtle as hell about everything, like how at the end it takes the form of her dad but she's just not like OH NO IT LOOKS LIKE DADDY, they have the sense to let you understand what's happening by giving you cues in the background in pretty much every single scene. You end up just like Jay, glancing over the character's shoulders and watching every single person in motion on the screen.

Also it looks like my multiplex is getting it and they're really gonna do a wide theater release for it. And thank god they do, it loving deserves it.

I noticed that moment as well, and it's easily one of those things I can see people saying they didn't catch until their second viewing. I'm almost 100% that the kid who appears in the boat house on the beach is the same one you see spying on her all the time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Finally there is a showtime near me starting on Friday. I've never even heard of the theater, but I don't care :dance:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

sticklefifer posted:

I think that message is that this, and his previous film, exist in a sort of eternal suburban teenage space outside of normal contemporary time. There's a little bit of every decade in there, all mixed together. It feels nostalgic without being a specific retro exercise and contemporary without being too of-the-moment and therefore instantly dated.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
A full list of where it's expanding can be found at the website here, though local theaters will probably have their listings up by now : http://itfollowsfilm.com/screenings

Is this the type of thing where I can drag some friends who don't usually do the arthouse thing and expect them to like it, or should I wait for cheapass Tuesdays and just see it by myself?

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CRINDY posted:

A full list of where it's expanding can be found at the website here, though local theaters will probably have their listings up by now : http://itfollowsfilm.com/screenings

Is this the type of thing where I can drag some friends who don't usually do the arthouse thing and expect them to like it, or should I wait for cheapass Tuesdays and just see it by myself?
I guess it depends on whether or not your friends like horror films too. I dunno, I say screw it, drag their asses along.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was surprised to see it playing in my small town and just got back from seeing it. I liked that it didn't rely on jump scares and the feeling of paranoia that was always there. I can't say much about the subtext that hasn't already been said but I recommend seeing it.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
oi just saw this in las vegas and what a dumb movie hoo boy some guy was like "it follows" and gigglged every time a thing happened, but other tha nthat the only good part was the scene in the hospital bed where she was readding a book and the broken leg the rest was kinda bad movie.

people will "love" it becuz it was arts though

plz dont throw a toaster at me

I was mad I was watching this instead of chappy again oif these movies were hot dogs in new york this would chappy was onwage on a stick this was boredom on a bun

dnt watch it if you are like me and hate things that are dumb

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well at least with that post you're making it clear what type of people won't like this movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Boredom on a bun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Meowbot posted:

oi just saw this in las vegas and what a dumb movie hoo boy some guy was like "it follows" and gigglged every time a thing happened, but other tha nthat the only good part was the scene in the hospital bed where she was readding a book and the broken leg the rest was kinda bad movie.

people will "love" it becuz it was arts though

plz dont throw a toaster at me

I was mad I was watching this instead of chappy again oif these movies were hot dogs in new york this would chappy was onwage on a stick this was boredom on a bun

dnt watch it if you are like me and hate things that are dumb

I want to frame this post.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
Has anybody figured out the significance of the house numbers?

The first girl's house is #1492-- I immediately associated it with the Columbus story, like maybe the ghost/curse/whatever has been around a long time and came over on a boat.

I can't remember the main girl's house number, but it really stands out in the frame because the first number looks like it has been sanded off or whitewashed, we can tell it is different because she lives directly across the street from the denim vest dude and he has a regular 5 digit number on his house.

I was impressed by the filmmakers' attention to detail, there's no way those numbers are an accident.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Was the first girl the same as the girl in Hugh/Jeff's picture from the abandoned house? If so, that would imply Hugh got "it" from infidelity, knowingly or unknowingly passed it to his girlfriend, she was killed by it, and it went back to him, at which point he targeted Jay (and possibly other girls in between).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Neumonic posted:

The first girl's house is #1492-- I immediately associated it with the Columbus story, like maybe the ghost/curse/whatever has been around a long time and came over on a boat.

What did Columbus's arrival mean for Native Americans?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Phoneposting, but did anyone else think someone on the production of the film had a foot fetish? There were more than a few foot-only shots in the first half or the movie (right after the main character has sex, the comatose mom in bed, two shots of the main character's feet at the playground), each time it took me a little out of the movie.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

MisterBibs posted:

Phoneposting, but did anyone else think someone on the production of the film had a foot fetish? There were more than a few foot-only shots in the first half or the movie (right after the main character has sex, the comatose mom in bed, two shots of the main character's feet at the playground), each time it took me a little out of the movie.

Come on, everybody loves feet!

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

MisterBibs posted:

You're the one who just provided a list of foot shots in the movie...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This movie was all right. While I get the reading by some that it's a straight shot metaphor for STD's and STI's, I think it's a little more explicitly about rape. I still need to incubate on it a little, but "It" isn't really characterized as a horror of the body as much as of the mind. There's this pervasive atmosphere of feeling deceived through and by the film, with characters constantly invoking trust and questioning each others motives. And the ending seems to be explicitly constructed to leave us without satisfaction, such that even to the extent that "It" (much like the Cenobites of The Evil Dead) represent a horrific conceptualization of sex, Its (if temporary) 'conquest' is presented in a very awkward, contrived, sex-negative way.

I also think it's apt - as with The House of the Devil - to speculate on the function of the film's technologically uncertain 'present.' The film approaches its setting in a rather Lynchian sense, where time is kind of consumed, and what we're presented with is this impossible dream world that constantly borders on a nightmare. But this effects the sexual subtext of the film as well. There's comparisons to be made to The Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street - and I would argue that the film's retro-aesthetic presents a commentary on how the repressive sexual anxieties of the past not only haven't changed, but in some ways have become even more cynical.

I also really wanna re-watch Teeth. I feel like it'll prove a good compare-contrast piece for It Follows.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Does anyone else think that maybe Paul ended up picking up one of those hookers to have sex with and pass it on, just in case, because he knows that they'll pass it on to a stranger who might end up taking it further away? Like, maybe he feels like they didn't kill it, so he's doing it just to be careful.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
How did y'all read the costumes on the characters in that ending shot? White clothing with black jackets, with her dress being very suggestive of a wedding dress.

edit. ^^^ Seemed more like he was working up the courage to do it in that shot. If not in that moment, then at some point in the future.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The ending was ambiguous for sure, with at least three potential paths explicitly suggested:

- They killed it in the pool (that massive amount of blood)
- Paul passed it to a hooker in hopes of that being a good way to get it far away from them. This way, even if it's still alive, it's far from them at the moment.
- Neither of those two things worked (or happened, in the case of option 2), and it is just steps behind them in the last shot of the movie.

I don't feel many good horror movies have happy endings, and I like when there are actually ambiguous factors to consider (as opposed to the cheap "Oh no Freddy is back and the main character would unquestionably be dead if the movie ran even 10 seconds longer!").

The ending of this movie reminded me of (spoilers for the name of the other movie because it suggests the ending shot fairly clearly) Martha Marcy May Marlene.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

You're the one who just provided a list of foot shots in the movie...

That's because they stood out so blatantly, at least to me, as someone who doesn't have that specific fetish.

Unrelated: I give the film kudos for not being so fanservicely about sex in a way it potentially could've been. Most of the nudity is disturbing, rather than titillating.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How bloody/gory is this movie? Probably going to drag my girlfriend to it tomorrow, but she can't stand gore or excessive blood. I took her to Hobo with a Shotgun once and she's been wary of anything I pick since then :v:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Daveski posted:

How bloody/gory is this movie? Probably going to drag my girlfriend to it tomorrow, but she can't stand gore or excessive blood. I took her to Hobo with a Shotgun once and she's been wary of anything I pick since then :v:

It's not too bad really. There isn't much death in general. What's there is graphic but nothing compared to HWAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Saw it tonight; I thought it was creepy, but I'm still trying to nail down in my head what it was trying to say. I thought it was surprisingly ambiguous in places, (the whole bit of "Did they or didn't they?" the movie sets up with Jay and the boat guys and Paul with the hookers; it seems some in the thread thought they totally did, but I'm not so sure, especially given Greg's death and its manner) but the problem with ambiguity is that it muddies the waters a bit as to what the film is about and what the monster is supposed to represent. Still, it was absolutely the kind of horror I prefer (suspense and the building of tension as opposed to a gorefest or endless jumpscares) so I did like it.

One thing I want to mention is the one time we hear an adult speak (or one of the few) is in Jay's class, where her teacher is reading a poem. That poem is T.S. Eliots The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, the story of a lonely, middle aged man who desperately wants companionship in the possible form of a sexual relationship, but never makes that desire known out of fear of rejection and the baggage such a relationship would bring. An interesting choice of poem to be sure, as that is when the entity starts coming after her, and what form should it take? That of an old woman. Whether it was intentional to draw parallels or not, I dunno, but nice moment either way.

I believe my favorite part of the whole movie was at her house after her encounter at the school. Just the whole buildup of Jay walking into the kitchen after her window gets broken... that was some pure horror movie magic, right there.

• Locked thread