Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
my take: we should kill someone, but not me

willing to hear arguments that agree with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

white mans burping posted:

sounds like a pretty scummy thing to say kenny

you're not in a scum team with anidav, are you?

No I am not.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

thatbastardken posted:

if town want any kind of victory in this game we have to look past old grudges and petty vendettas. Play the game, not the player.

Vector Sigma, he's right!

*votes anidav*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Kat Delacour posted:

So, the most-votes lynch rules means that scum basically get a free pass because they can +1 votes as required, but obviously would want to avoid dog piling a single candidate because it makes them easy pickings end game. Interesting.

Not sure if we should start with no-vote until we have data to pinpoint scum? Or, if we all roll a random number, and assuming scum still avoids piling a single candidate, we could still get a d1 data lynch without letting scum have too much sway?

Ideas? Thoughts?

And to clarify that's really random not selectively random, you'd have to stick with what you get to avoid creeping bias. If we're going to bias the roll we may as well turbo Anidav now. Or kill nobody

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kat Delacour posted:

So, the most-votes lynch rules means that scum basically get a free pass because they can +1 votes as required, but obviously would want to avoid dog piling a single candidate because it makes them easy pickings end game. Interesting.

Not sure if we should start with no-vote until we have data to pinpoint scum? Or, if we all roll a random number, and assuming scum still avoids piling a single candidate, we could still get a d1 data lynch without letting scum have too much sway?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Treat the game like any other game of mafia. Plurality does away with the deadline scramble but is generally in favour of scum. We should be holding lurkers and bad deadline voters and abstainees accountable this game.
Not sure if there will be any whacky voting mechanics because you guys are mental, but i'm going to be treating this game just like a normal mafia game and hanging scums!

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

we may as well turbo Anidav now.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

busb posted:

Treat the game like any other game of mafia. Plurality does away with the deadline scramble but is generally in favour of scum. We should be holding lurkers and bad deadline voters and abstainees accountable this game.
Not sure if there will be any whacky voting mechanics because you guys are mental, but i'm going to be treating this game just like a normal mafia game and hanging scums!

I'm going to be hardline on this after the Mario game.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Based on my novice analysis of the last Auspolformers, I would generally be happy not to D1 lynch because we're more likely to hit a townie, and they're likely to have a useful role because this is Cybertron and we're transformers.

BUT

There's no guarantee that Bruticus (or worse) isn't still out there with the ability to double-kill townies as long as the component scum parts are alive. In that case the smaller odds of randomly hitting a scum are justified by the upside of stopping that double kill.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, although I was only half-joking about voting randomly and kind of like that idea for D1, the activity should be more important. Nobody might have any loving clue who to lynch today, and people have RL stuff that might keep them from posting like a madman, but you can at least check in to show you're paying attention and ready to roll out.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Kat Delacour posted:

Ideas? Thoughts?

I'm on board with auspol's "always d1 lynch" mantra, I don't think we should abandon it. But I'm not much of a fan of the random roll to pick someone for today either - it's too open to abuse by scum.

The majority voting system has me a bit spooked, I don't know whether it's a help or hindrance to town compared to the hammer.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Tirade posted:

I'm on board with auspol's "always d1 lynch" mantra, I don't think we should abandon it. But I'm not much of a fan of the random roll to pick someone for today either - it's too open to abuse by scum.

The majority voting system has me a bit spooked, I don't know whether it's a help or hindrance to town compared to the hammer.

Me too, but only one way to find out.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I believe you always lynch Day1. Relying on night actions is always a bad idea because town are uninformed in general about what can transpire at night.

Voting patterns and casing are the best ways to find scum and if you nolynch day1 then day2 just turns into another day1.

Also i have no idea what went on in the mario game~

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

busb posted:

I believe you always lynch Day1. Relying on night actions is always a bad idea because town are uninformed in general about what can transpire at night.

Voting patterns and casing are the best ways to find scum and if you nolynch day1 then day2 just turns into another day1.

Also i have no idea what went on in the mario game~

The horror. The horrrrrooorrr....

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I've had a pretty good day, how are you guys?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

The plurality voting has me really worried. Sweeroy once started a game which suggested it had that mechanic and there was a lot of "what the hell happens if there are like five people on two votes at the end of the game" type discussion. Fortunately that game was hammer, but this one isn't, and so those worries are now actually relevant.

So I guess the main thing to avoid is a tie (or, worse, a three or four-way tie) at the end of the day.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I've had a pretty good day, how are you guys?

Not voting for you

yet :mrgw:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

The plurality voting has me really worried. Sweeroy once started a game which suggested it had that mechanic and there was a lot of "what the hell happens if there are like five people on two votes at the end of the game" type discussion. Fortunately that game was hammer, but this one isn't, and so those worries are now actually relevant.

So I guess the main thing to avoid is a tie (or, worse, a three or four-way tie) at the end of the day.

Alternatively everyone votes for themselves day 1 and the first person to try to unvote just before the deadline gets dog piled as self serving scum

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tirade posted:

I think the only main hindrance for town of playing to hammer is if the town is too inactive, since you can end up no-lynching from people not voting or getting coordinated in time. But going to end of day plurality instead doesn't actually remove the core problem, that the town is too inactive.

The advantage of hammer is having that deadline gives you another behavior to look at, another way to judge people. (by whether they're slacking off, or splitting the vote for possibly nefarious reasons.) Removing that pressure makes it easier to let people off the hook. But this might not be such a drawback if we still hold people accountable for being too absent. Dropping out might not stop us from lynching anybody anymore, but it can stop us from outnumbering the scum vote.

One important advantage of NOT playing to hammer though, is that if scum get control of the results into their favor, they have to hold it there the rest of the night. The discussion won't stop the first moment that they get what they want. That was the main thing that drove me nuts when I was scum in a no-hammer game.

Those On My Left posted:

Also this.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A refusal to act is distinctly un-cybertronian.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

black_tangled posted:

I'm going to be hardline on this after the Mario game.

I agree.

FYI all I'm out for dinner tonight, but my current plan is to check in when I get home and see if any day actions have happened that would alter the calculus. If none have, I'm going to vote for someone with a low post count.

D1 we have literally no info apart from posting histories (unless a day action happens). As such it's an ideal opportunity to weed out players who are either simply unhelpfully unproductive or who are trying to coast as scum.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

I agree.

FYI all I'm out for dinner tonight, but my current plan is to check in when I get home and see if any day actions have happened that would alter the calculus. If none have, I'm going to vote for someone with a low post count.

D1 we have literally no info apart from posting histories (unless a day action happens). As such it's an ideal opportunity to weed out players who are either simply unhelpfully unproductive or who are trying to coast as scum.

What about those of us padding our post counts with empty platitudes?

I'm asking for a friend.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SKY COQ posted:

Great job dickhead

##vote Fruity Gordo

No posts yet, a shot in the dark. If it turns something up, great.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
On-Point Click Right Here

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm asking for a friend.

trap sprung, you don't have any friends

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

:agreed:

We must all hang together in this, our darkest hour, or we will all assuredly hang alone.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Oh for gently caress's sale.

Gaspy, I'm phone posting and hit edit instead of post. I went back without submitting the edit, however Awful app apparently keeps the edit window open.

Apologies, I'll be more careful in future.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

trap sprung, you don't have any friends

:smithicide:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

MUYB never said he was asking for one of his friends, merely 'a friend' which could be anyone.

deliberate obfuscation IMO

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
My other captain obvious observation from the Nintendo game is: if there's a statistician here,* use the freaking list!

*Looking your way Perceptor

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Can you put the votefinder image in the OP please Asphyxious?

I'm asking for a friend.

I like this poast.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The new rules mean we can carefully think about day one rather than worrying about the hammer, the agreement by the deadline can be rather light but keeping that in mind it changes up how scum can play because there's multiple layers of voting patterns they can try to cower behind such as:
"Oh he only died by one vote, it could've been anyone at that point"
"Someone else would have voted for him/her anyway"

It makes voting outcomes open to interpretation and imagination so I can't wait to see how this works out.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpO_WcR_jE&t=22s

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is there a chance Cybertron will bend?

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Anidav posted:

Is there a chance Cybertron will bend?

Not a chance my chartreuse friend

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

What about us metal blobs?

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
##vote fruity gordo

because she hasnt posted yet and her cat is ugly

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

white mans burping posted:

##vote fruity gordo

because she hasnt posted yet and her cat is ugly

##vote white mans burping

cause how is this guy supposed to scumhunt if he has no eyes?!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

##vote Bifauxnen because don't be ableist towards blind people jeez.

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

##vote MilkyMoor

I reckon he would have chosen nightmare level difficulty and gotten all the sweet powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

black_tangled posted:

##vote MilkyMoor

I reckon he would have chosen nightmare level difficulty and gotten all the sweet powers.

You want to get rid of power roles, potentially for town?

##vote black_tangled

• Locked thread