Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Also joining team literally-teared-up-along-with-Aoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zwiebel posted:

The true twist is that Shizukas happy ending is just something the staff insisted upon. The true ending is her falling into alcoholism and eventually marrying someone she hates because of societal pressure, while deep down being miserable for the rest of her dull life of soul crushing mediocrity. Occasionally she gets to argue with 1.4 children that despise her, numbers declining. This is poignant because the industry is cruel. However, due to the production issues this would have created they just went with this anime original ending instead as that got done in advance.
Aoi's older sister is already heading that route except she'll be a working mom.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Looks like funny story's orphans will be wanting. That dressing down was the most satisfying thing all season,

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Chev posted:

The original two seasons plan was supposed to have Minamori continue to rise in rank, PA → desk→ line producer→ producer.

There's plenty of stuff to do in there too, like having to cover for subordinate screw-ups, getting used to working with different directors and other staff, and dealing with the business side of anime in general.

Also: Director Tarou. Think about it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous-san posted:

So the episode aired, though it's not going up on Crunchyroll until some unspecified later time today. We've got one week left! Let's all do our best until then.

All I could imagine is the director chaging this part to make it more emotional at the last minute. :unsmith:

Zuka still doesn't have a big enough gig yet though.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

PaganGoatPants posted:

Zuka still doesn't have a big enough gig yet though.

BUT SHE'S ONE STEP CLOSER TO HER DREAM :cripes:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zuka-feels-senpai.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Don't end Shirobako. You are wonderful and I'll miss you :(

That last episode was just so satisfying. Like everything happened just right. :unsmith:

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Hopping on the

train.

I was actually getting pretty worried that they were going to have Zuzu plummet into depression and commit suicide because she couldn't find a job, or something.

We still donut know the name of the donuts we had that day. :unsmith:

Harettazetta fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 22, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there are people actually upset and mad that shirobako is popular because the characters are getting relatively "happy" endings and they wanted the show to be much darker

i dont understand people

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Some people just want to see the world burn.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

shirobako should have been written and directed by general urobutcher the butcher urobutchi. it would have been a major deconstruction of the anime characters creating an anime trope

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
The quality of this show is so consistent it really puts everything else to shame.
Kinoshita's Western scene was the greatest thing.
Please get a second season :(

Oh and Honda needs to eat a sandwich because that guy looks too skinny now.

Griever fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 23, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Griever posted:

The quality of this show is so consistent it really puts everything else to shame.
Kinoshita's Western scene was the greatest thing.
Please get a second season :(

Oh and Honda needs to eat a sandwich because that guy looks too skinny now.

Being a pastry chef is hard work

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

aers posted:

there are people actually upset and mad that shirobako is popular because the characters are getting relatively "happy" endings and they wanted the show to be much darker

i dont understand people
Neither do I. I mean goddamn it I was sweating over the outcome here but at least I knew that the overall tone was positive so things were probably going to be alright. Why is abstract things like tone and story structure so hard for people to follow?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

aers posted:

i dont understand people

I don't want it to be 'much darker'. I would simply have preferred an outcome where, say, Shizuka would have to be compromise on her dream and still have that be a happy ending for her.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Like she becomes an actress instead and grows to love her job.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fangz posted:

I don't want it to be 'much darker'. I would simply have preferred an outcome where, say, Shizuka would have to be compromise on her dream and still have that be a happy ending for her.

Getting to be a side character when you auditioned for a lead sounds like a compromise to me

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like happy things so that opinion of "I'm mad because things should be depressing" on Shirobako can go sulk in the corner.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fangz posted:

Her great accomplishment in this show is voicing a bit character with five lines in a two minute scene. That seems like the very definition of a "compromised" happy ending, though obviously from our (and Aoi's for that matter) vantage point it isn't really like that.

If it makes you feel better just pretend that small bit parts are the best she ever does.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Flash forward to the future when some directors are reviewing zuka's audition and are like "lol your friend was on desk and you still only got a bit role how terrible are you"

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Only just got around to watching this last episode, and goddamn, I have to say, this has to be one of the most consistently entertaining shows I've ever seen. So far as I can remember, there haven't been any bad episodes, or even any that were just 'meh'. Every single episode was great - this one especially. The whole show's just so drat good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Her great accomplishment in this show is voicing a bit character with five lines in a two minute scene. That seems like the very definition of a "compromised" happy ending, though obviously from our (and Aoi's for that matter) vantage point it isn't really like that.

If it makes you feel better just pretend that small bit parts are the best she ever does.

The point isn't really whether she gets what she wants or not. The point is that her ending would come out of a choice Shizuka makes. That she gets a minor role is not a compromise on her dream, because she doesn't change her goals at all. She was just less successful than she wanted to be, but still somewhat successful, due to factors almost entirely outside her control.

That's the appeal really. I think the show would have been stronger if the lesson is that what you want to do is sometimes different from your high school dreams, and that's okay, and you don't have to alienate yourself from your friends because of that. Instead of 'sit and wait and maybe the anime gods will smile on you'.

I don't want Shizuka to fail just because, I simply would prefer the show to address the 99.99% of real life Shizukas who never get a role, discuss how they can deal with that, and give *them* a happy ending.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You don't like it, we get it, fuckkkkkkkk,,,,,, aahhhhhhhhh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think the show did enough to show voice acting isn't a cakewalk. Zuka's role is minor enough that it doesn't feel contrived but still gives catharsis and ties up her arc. Having Zuka fail or even give up on voice acting as a whole seems extreme, given the tone of the show. It would also add a lot of material to cover in addition to the meat of the show...so you'd end up with an unsatisfying exploration of dreams and compromise/growth, or a show that suffered for splitting it's attention.

I also wouldn't buy Zuka giving up on her dream/friend pact so soon (in the grand scheme of things), but that's just me.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

The true twist is that Shizukas happy ending is just something the staff insisted upon. The true ending is her falling into alcoholism and eventually marrying someone she hates because of societal pressure, while deep down being miserable for the rest of her dull life of soul crushing mediocrity. Occasionally she gets to argue with 1.4 children that despise her, numbers declining. This is poignant because the industry is cruel. However, due to the production issues this would have created they just went with this anime original ending instead as that got done in advance.

Funny story.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Fangz posted:

The point isn't really whether she gets what she wants or not. The point is that her ending would come out of a choice Shizuka makes. That she gets a minor role is not a compromise on her dream, because she doesn't change her goals at all. She was just less successful than she wanted to be, but still somewhat successful, due to factors almost entirely outside her control.

That's the appeal really. I think the show would have been stronger if the lesson is that what you want to do is sometimes different from your high school dreams, and that's okay, and you don't have to alienate yourself from your friends because of that. Instead of 'sit and wait and maybe the anime gods will smile on you'.

I don't want Shizuka to fail just because, I simply would prefer the show to address the 99.99% of real life Shizukas who never get a role, discuss how they can deal with that, and give *them* a happy ending.

You know she's still going to have to work at the bar for the foreseeable future, right? This is an isolated moment in the sun for her, and I assume we may never find out if she's a successful VA or not.

As it is, you're saying that a fictional TV program should take the least dramatic path - wherein nothing really happens for this character - because that's more realistic. In reality, that just makes the character wasteful - having spent time and effort to develop her beyond "bartender who wants to be a VA", simply denying her any sort of step forward because that's how it goes for thousands of others means those precious minutes they used on her amount to nothing because her character just becomes background noise.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

You know she's still going to have to work at the bar for the foreseeable future, right? This is an isolated moment in the sun for her, and I assume we may never find out if she's a successful VA or not.

As it is, you're saying that a fictional TV program should take the least dramatic path - wherein nothing really happens for this character - because that's more realistic. In reality, that just makes the character wasteful - having spent time and effort to develop her beyond "bartender who wants to be a VA", simply denying her any sort of step forward because that's how it goes for thousands of others means those precious minutes they used on her amount to nothing because her character just becomes background noise.

I forget the source, but there's been an article or two talking about how the VA market these days is so rough that only the very top tiers can actually make a living from it without having to take outside part-time work. Not enough pay and too many long gaps without work.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
p sure a depressing ending for shizuka's arc would have a measurable negative impact on the Japanese economy

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I do think it would have been better if Shizuka had gotten the role with Aoi's help instead of getting the role entirely accidentally. It could easily lead to her learning the importance of networking.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Flash forward to the future when some directors are reviewing zuka's audition and are like "lol your friend was on desk and you still only got a bit role how terrible are you"
This is the perfect opening line for a spinoff about Shizuka's future career.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I do think it would have been better if Shizuka had gotten the role with Aoi's help instead of getting the role entirely accidentally. It could easily lead to her learning the importance of networking.

This is the perfect opening line for a spinoff about Shizuka's future career.

Hey, accidents happen, for better or worse.

I finally got around to watching this and it was PERFECT! I couldn't have asked for anything more. :allears:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I'd hardly say she got it entirely by accident, seeing as she got it entirely on the merit of her original performance. I mean, sure, it's unlikely that they'd come up with a role related to the character she auditioned for that happened to be perfect for her, but she still mainly got the new role because she was second-in-line for the previous one, and good enough that the director specifically remembered her.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Bakanogami posted:

I forget the source, but there's been an article or two talking about how the VA market these days is so rough that only the very top tiers can actually make a living from it without having to take outside part-time work. Not enough pay and too many long gaps without work.

I don't have the source either, but there is also a reason why you see so many VAs do radio shows in addition to whatever they get for a show. Unless you're a clear A-Lister you really do need a lot to make an actual living.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

smenj posted:

I'd hardly say she got it entirely by accident, seeing as she got it entirely on the merit of her original performance. I mean, sure, it's unlikely that they'd come up with a role related to the character she auditioned for that happened to be perfect for her, but she still mainly got the new role because she was second-in-line for the previous one, and good enough that the director specifically remembered her.

Given that you would make more working part time at a family restaurant than as an animator, getting only a small role now and then can't be too bad.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

smenj posted:

She was actually the director's first choice, their reason for not giving her the role was basically "we already got an unknown newcomer in the cast, as the protagonist no less, if we pick another unknown newcomer for this character we'd never hear the end of it from the sponsors."

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Have some more ponkan⑧'s designs (from BD Vol. 4):

Can you guess to whom that hair from rejected Tarou design gone to???

Also, so you know how you can call to Musani using number listed here and hear different answers from different Musani staff each week? Here what's playing right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm-tQyYoC4Q

And here what was playing after Yano's comeback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOvUtHDPO0

Aoi is so happy :3: And also maybe gone insane a little bit :v:

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 25, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Haha. Yep, Shirobako is gonna be delayed on CR. Everybody watching on there should avoid this thread like the plague until it goes up.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Shiiiiit. Thanks for the heads-up.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Haha. Yep, Shirobako is gonna be delayed on CR. Everybody watching on there should avoid this thread like the plague until it goes up.

Whyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Because PA Works decided to use as much time as they could to make the episode great, so they are delivering it in time to show on TV but not in time for the simulcasts to translate it. Enjoy the episode on Friday!

• Locked thread