Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
rhel 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pram posted:

PC-BSD

this sounds like the solution for me. thank

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

this sounds like the solution for me. thank

god i hope this is a riff on pram's joke

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

god i hope this is a riff on pram's joke

If not, can't help idiocy.

Lol, PC-BSD != Linux

PC-BSD != good BSD

It's just poo poo. Install FreeBSD.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nosl posted:

Lol, PC-BSD != Linux

PC-BSD != good BSD

goddamn @ this dude laying down the ownage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
netcraft died for freebsd's sins

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

netcraft died for freebsd's sins

then who confirmed it???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

then who confirmed it???

:thejoke:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

my stepdads beer posted:

they did something weird to the window decorations. firefox and terminal look different from epiphany and nautilis and most things for some reason. see attachment.

looks awesome to me tbqh

I even mentioned when I upgraded to fedora 21 how I thought the dark windows looked very fitting for stuff like terminal windows

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my stepdads beer posted:

they did something weird to the window decorations. firefox and terminal look different from epiphany and nautilis and most things for some reason. see attachment.

does Firefox not draw its own window decorations for unified tab/title?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Subjunctive posted:

does Firefox not draw its own window decorations for unified tab/title?

no, they stupidly draw under the titlebar. chrome does it properly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobbilljim posted:

no, they stupidly draw under the titlebar. chrome does it properly

my bet is that they succumbed to calls to do the Right Linux Thing, which IME was usually people dogmatically defending whatever the GNOME list came up with that week at the expense of usability.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

so true it hurts

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

my bet is that they succumbed to calls to do the Right Linux Thing, which IME was usually people dogmatically defending whatever the GNOME list came up with that week at the expense of usability.

They used to do the tabs-on-top thing and then /r/linux complained a lot so they reverted that code. We didn't have a hand in that decision at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

They used to do the tabs-on-top thing and then /r/linux complained a lot so they reverted that code. We didn't have a hand in that decision at all.

same song, different key

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

linux users are their own worst enemy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I feel compelled to post this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/300b3w/the_amount_of_bullshit_about_linux_being_spewed/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

the future is apps drawing their own window borders like it's Windows 3.1

the 1980s called

they said welcome to X-Windows

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

people unmounting flash drives from the file browser UI triggers me greatly

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I just like turning the lights off, switching to a white on black terminal and pretending like I am doing something useful as the text scrolls past. For some reason it makes me feel good. The world was a simpler place in 1995. Linux is the last place I can bury my head against the ever quickening passage of time.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also gently caress, how did it get to be late march already.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

OS X has had custom decoration controls since day 1. Starting with Snow Leopard, they allowed you to edit the titlebar to rename documents.

there's a world of difference between "the window controls are rendered in-process by system frameworks, which allow you a controlled level of access for customization" and what you see on X-Windows systems

if someone shipped a Linux that included a single build of Gtk as an app framework (no Xt, no Qt, etc.), and apps didn't have any APIs to talk to the window system but through that build of Gtk, that Linux would be more akin to OS X.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

bobbilljim posted:

linux users are their own worst enemy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

if someone shipped a Linux that included a single build of Gtk as an app framework (no Xt, no Qt, etc.), and apps didn't have any APIs to talk to the window system but through that build of Gtk, that Linux would be more akin to OS X.

i.e. totally loving broken

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Soricidus posted:

mandrake 5

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I dug this up for the ms office thread, but this is peak linux:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

:eyepop:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

this, but unironically.

kde2 had a lot of good poo poo going. kde3 exceeded it but took so long to achieve its goals, nobody noticed :smith:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
man i forgot all about noatun

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
look at that relatively consistent look and feel

yeah the gui theme is poo poo but all the icons match, they correctly use bitmap fonts for small point sizes... all lost, like tears in rain

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

look at that relatively consistent look and feel

yeah the gui theme is poo poo but all the icons match, they correctly use bitmap fonts for small point sizes... all lost, like tears in rain

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

custom titlebars are good, just look at chrome on linux VS knockoff chrome (firefox)

yeah I wish the firefox dudes would finish up the gtk3 port so they can do the same

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

looks awesome to me tbqh

I even mentioned when I upgraded to fedora 21 how I thought the dark windows looked very fitting for stuff like terminal windows

i like the dark. i am commenting on the height of the titlebar.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

quote:

[–]Valvar 24 points 15 hours ago
I guess one of my favourite quotes is relevant here, by Eben Moglen:
"What I saw in the Xerox PARC technology was the caveman interface, you point and you grunt. A massive winding down, regressing away from language, in order to address the technological nervousness of the user. Users wanted to be infantilized, to return to a pre-linguistic condition in the using of computers, and the Xerox PARC technology`s primary advantage was that it allowed users to address computers in a pre-linguistic way. This was to my mind a terribly socially retrograde thing to do, and I have not changed my mind about that."

:nsallears:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

man i forgot all about noatun
remember when amarok was considered good?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zom Aur posted:

remember when amarok was considered good?

amarok has always been terrible trash for idiots

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

i'm Corel® File Manager

e: i mean Corel® Update

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Suspicious Dish posted:

well they could of done it like chrome which you can disable it (right click top bar > use system borders )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

nosl posted:

Lol, PC-BSD != Linux

PC-BSD != good BSD

This is an amusing post, as if you read the handbook today at a number of points it'll say 'oh btw, if you're interested in running a desktop, you might be interested in PC-BSD which automatically takes care of all this for you if you don't feel like compulsively janitoring your system'. It's run by core members of FreeBSD. When you run uname, it'll show FreeBSD 10.1 release. You can transparently switch between the two just by changing the repository and a few config files. They are in effect the same base system, with PC-BSD giving you a few minor additions to make it nicer for desktop use, and somewhat hardened security, like having up fail2ban and pf preconfigured for you. Also it has some really nice graphical applications for managing things like the ZFS volume manager, that thing is really neat.

Tell us more about your bike shed though. I don't get why people running other systems rip on BSD over poo poo that's not even accurate, I mean why do you even care are you secretly afraid you might be missing out I don't care what system do you run does it work for you that's great, how's the diet are you getting enough vegetables, they say you should eat all the colors of the rainbow you know