Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I'm really curious as to what direction the story and world will take and hope my resistance to not watching any streams will hold up until release. Also after seeing the map, I'm guessing most outside enviroments will be mid-temperate stuff with some deserts thrown in to the east and south(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Did Sensuki make his spoiler-free guide he was talking about some time ago?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

MonikaTSarn posted:

I was going to play a rogue or barbarian, but it seems their stats are really bad for conversations. I thought without speech skills to cover there would be more freedom for the player character, but it's worse. Why put mechanics on the player, when a companion can do the same. But lore used in conversations has to be on the player.
Do I really have to play a tank with high perception, intelligence and resolve, with lore as skill, to get the most out of the game ? Then maybe I'll recruit one custom rogue that is my real character I actually want to play.

How do you *win* a conversation anyway?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

Did Sensuki make his spoiler-free guide he was talking about some time ago?

He's made a giant beginner's guide video series but it suffers from being "not in print."

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I've kept myself in the dark about this game and hey look it's coming out on Thursday!

I love Infinity engine games and RPGs in general, should i pre-order yea/nay?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Illegal Username posted:

I've kept myself in the dark about this game and hey look it's coming out on Thursday!

Sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Illegal Username posted:

If you hate fun then no

otherwise yes

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you hate fun then no

otherwise yes

But I've heard rumours that ropekid hates fun too, so even then, yes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Illegal Username posted:

yeah. yeah.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Illegal Username posted:

Absolutely. Worst case scenario, from watching streams and playing the Beta, you'll get a game that tries to evoke the old IE games with some cool new paint and new mechanics and better writing that doesn't quite go all the way.

Best case this will be my GOTY. I'm leaning towards that one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When do backers get their keys so we can pre-load?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Should be today. I'm pretty sure that Brandon Adler over on the official boards said it would be Monday or Tuesday, and considering it wasn't Monday...

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

How many skills is it viable to raise on the PC and still get most of the content those skills unlock?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Gato posted:

How many skills is it viable to raise on the PC and still get most of the content those skills unlock?

I've heard 2 is probably best.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shapeshifters get a bad rap not just due to their mechanics, but also the characters associated with the class. Cernd from BG2 was such an awful character that every character who knows him hates his hippie bullshit.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's made a giant beginner's guide video series but it suffers from being "not in print."

If you want my transcript, you can have it but I riffed off like one line many times so there'll be information missing.

Here's the character creation part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVhbWTDAbR4

I'm writing part 2 now, trying to cover everything.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Somewhat related: How much Athletics is a reasonable amount? You seem to be getting quite a lot of bang for your buck initially, but it tapers off. It feels like most characters should take at least a couple of levels in it, since I assume the guys with tons of it won't really get to use it, if the rest of the weakass party needs to rest anyway. Does anyone know how fatigue works, by the way, does everyone with the same score in Athletics accumulate Fatigue at the same rate, or is it somehow related to combat performance (as in being beat up a lot is more strenous than back-lining)?

Good job on the video, Sensuki. I'm looking forward to future episodes!

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 24, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just upgraded to the Royal Edition on Steam, and ordered the hardback lore book with a Barnes and Noble giftcard I forgot I had. I'm going full-nerd with this, and don't want to half rear end it.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up
For those of you in the backer beta, is there a way to adjust the zoom range? Maybe a console command or an .ini tweak? I'm a scrub with a PC from the middle ages playing at sub-1080p and would love to be able to extend the field of view and zoom out "further" than what the mouse wheel/default zoom allows at my resolution. Is that possible at all?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Yes, I believe it is possible to zoom out further than by default. I have no clue how to go about that but I believe it was mentioned somewhere as possible.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I tried looking in my account but it seems there is no news when I will get my key.

I pledged on the site by the way

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

Just upgraded to the Royal Edition on Steam, and ordered the hardback lore book with a Barnes and Noble giftcard I forgot I had. I'm going full-nerd with this, and don't want to half rear end it.

I *would* but since I don't have a Steam key yet, or even official confirmation that I'll get one since I backed on the website post - ks, aaarg

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shapeshifters get a bad rap not just due to their mechanics, but also the characters associated with the class. Cernd from BG2 was such an awful character that every character who knows him hates his hippie bullshit.

This is definitely a thing for me. I avoid druids generally, and actually come to think of it most elven characters period, just because they're an absolute magnet of poo poo-tastic writing.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I wonder if we'll be able to upgrade our edition once the game comes out, I've pre-ordered but would like to get myself a royal edition once my paychecks come in.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I've tried to avoid spoiling myself, so I haven't followed this thread too closely or even tried the backer beta, but I'm so glad that my contribution helped Obsidian create this game. By all accounts, it seems to be exactly what I wanted, and I can't wait to get to play it. May it sell like hotcakes so rope kid et al. get to make many more games like this. :toot:

Smol fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 24, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why is everyone buying GTA 5 on Steam? It isn't coming out for another month, did they forget to update people on that? Or is there a pre-order bonus running out?

Oh. There is. For money in the game.

Star Citizen really has ruined us :(

At least PoE is holding onto that 3rd spot. Cities Skylines deserves its spot at least.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Offkorn posted:

Every D&D game did shapeshifting that way (i.e. overwrite the PC template with a creature template), and shapeshifting is pretty awful in every D&D game for exactly that reason.

Cernd was garbage, sure. But shapeshifting was one of the ways spellcasters obviated melee characters; just turn into a bear or a buffalo or something and your raw stats are higher than any fighter of your level could hope for. Turn into a panther and sneak better than the thief. Better hit points, stronger attacks. I mean, as a caster you have much better ways to negate noncasters contributions - this is for if you wanted to play the same game as them just better.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 24, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Sensuki posted:

If you want my transcript, you can have it but I riffed off like one line many times so there'll be information missing.

What did you mean exactly at the Paladin part that a Bleak Walker is one of the hardest hitting builds right now?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

Heh, you can still upgrade your pledge at the backer portal.. and get some keys for friends:

Oh awesome, I'm going to take advantage of this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Oh awesome, I'm going to take advantage of this.

Where do you think I got my 3 extra keys from?

Edit: vvv Darnit, too bad it got caught!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 24, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

frajaq posted:

What did you mean exactly at the Paladin part that a Bleak Walker is one of the hardest hitting builds right now?

rope kid said that one of the QA guys found a combo that allowed them to get 400 damage crits. He nerfed them, but I imagine that it's still good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sensuki posted:

rope kid said that one of the QA guys found a combo that allowed them to get 400 damage crits. He nerfed them, but I imagine that it's still good.

I suspect it wasn't anything more complicated than arquebus + flames of devotion + high base might + zealous focus + critical focus. You could add in black path, Death Godlike, and Bloody Slaughter if you want to gild the lily, but I suspect it's just that you can build paladins generally for huge arquebus crits if you want and if you do that Bleak Walkers start looking really badass because of their on-kill bonuses.

edit: ok yeah Rakhan Field too. Wheeeeeeeee ok that would be fun gonna have to try that at least once

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

They get two talents to buff the damage of Flames of Devotion rather than the one that other classes get. Which, before the nerf (and I don't know how it works now) used to allow you to get a Full Attack plus 200% damage, before taking into account any extra passive buffs you had. A crit on that would be significant. I never tried it with an aquebus, but in the BB with a pike it was still good enough to do stupid damage.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Sensuki posted:

This was excellent, I can't wait for part 2. I'm trying to decide between the new Mortal Kombat or this, and you just about sold me.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Even building sub-optimally I've been able to get fairly high frequency 80-100 damage crits with a Bleak Walker paladin using a fine great sword in the current version of the beta.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Even building sub-optimally I've been able to get fairly high frequency 80-100 damage crits with a Bleak Walker paladin using a fine great sword in the current version of the beta.

Excellent, can't really ask for more than this.

What armor you using?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So is Bleak Walker like Judge Dredd or Darth Vader?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Firstborn posted:

Neither, really. Maybe a bit Judge Dredd but they're not really about the law. They believe in minimising conflict as much as possible by being such merciless, brutal killers that people surrender immediately rather than have themselves and their families slaughtered, their fields salted and their homes burned to the ground. Ideally, The Bleak Walkers fight once and kill everyone, so that the next five times they're called in nobody gets hurt. (Or at least, there isn't a battle. I imagine if a bunch of rebel peasants surrender, the lord who hired the Bleak Walkers would probably still execute a few of them.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Firstborn posted:

Sortof, yeah. Think General Sherman: The Paladin.

quote:

Bleak Walkers is a paladin order of Soldiers dedicated to conducting warfare mercilessly and with extreme brutality in order to bring a swift end to conflicts. Known for their unyielding, terrible nature, most nobles will only call on them as a last resort. The Bleak Walkers' behavior generally reinforces cruelty and brutality because the quickest resolution is one in which the Bleak Walkers' arrival is announced and a surrender immediately follows. To ensure that people believe that no mercy will ever be given by Bleak Walkers, they avoid any dealings where they could be seen as merciful given the right circumstances. For the Bleak Walkers, there are no right circumstances. Bleak Walkers won't call off an attack even if their "employer" asks them to or turns forces on them.[1][2]

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Bleak_Walkers

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Darkhold posted:

Not picking on the poster that brought it up but currently doing a playthrough of NWN2 it's amusing what you'd have to go through to make every dialogue check in the game. You'd have Intimidate, Diplomacy, and Bluff. Also a lore skill that comes up rarely but does solve a few puzzles and adds occasional flavor text. So at least 4 skillpoints per level assuming you took the Able Learner Feat and at least dual classed into classes that have each of those skills (otherwise at least some of those skills will be 1/2 of the max per level). You'd also be wise to pick up gear that had +Diplomacy because a few of those checks have really high requirements if you're not burning more feats for skills. Perform also comes up but super rarely and I think you can make the gnome make most of those anyway aside from the trial IIRC.

I think you'd also need some in spellcraft if you go into MotB.

You also need charisma to be hitting those checks, or enchanted gear, I tried making a character with diplomacy but not high charisma, and missed literally every check of the first five or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

But I've heard rumours that ropekid hates fun too, so even then, yes.
Fun must be sacrificed at the altar of Balance. And sometimes, son, to keep yourself Balanced and Neutral, you have to do some evil things.

• Locked thread