Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The DoD healthcare system is about 10x better now than it was 10 years ago. Dwell on that one.

I got my orders for retirement with less than 10 business days notice and had to clear at record breaking speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
This place is like an old folks home.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This place is like an old folks home.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The VA can suck a looooooooot of dicks, don't get me wrong, but growing up with a single working mom and no coverage is worse. poo poo sandwich to turd taco comparison to be sure but at least with the VA you can measure the wait time. Uninsured in the US your wait time is "get hosed" or the emergency room and bankruptcy.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Does it? I'm mulling over spending more time and energy filing an appeal if the success rate is pretty low. I hear the process is literally years.

The problem is with my foot they don't take into account poo poo like me being unable to work anything but essentially desk jobs and I can't remain standing for more than a few hours at a time before I'm in literal agony. The only thing they're concerned about is how large the swelling is. It's a big loving headache and I'll likely have to lawyer up to sort this poo poo out eventually. 20% disability for being literally unable to even go for a loving jog or walk around an amusement park for a day can suck my goddamn dick

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

The money is cool and all. It's the Voc Rehab eligibility that really got me in a good mood.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahagahaaahahaha.

Beware. VR&E us not always the greatest thing ever.

I have something like 39 or 42 easily transferable of credits between WUSTL and others. And a ton of community college credits.

My Voc Rehab counselor is making me re-do daytime high school for convicted felons and adults seeking to finish High School, and after I jump that hoop she's making me take a menial job in the VA for at least 6 months, likely janitorial in nature, to prove I am employable.

Then, and only then, she might sign off on sending me to community college.

Mind you Spongebob and I share VR&E folks, and she let him study whatever he liked.

VR&E folks have an insane amount of discretion. Don't have your first appointment with one be the week before Christmas, I wound up getting locked out of all of my bennies, including post 9/11 because one counselor thinks I'm far too crazy for my own good.

Not saying don't use it, hell SB uses it and has the same VR&E folks I do with absolutely no problems dealing with them.

It was the worst possible loving move for me, and nowhere anywhere had ANYONE told me those VR&E folks held that kind of power in the VA system.

Just a likely unnecessary heads up since apparently only I seem to loving hate VR&E and ever silverback broodmare running it.

One person can gently caress you good on a bad day under VR&E. I'm living proof of it.

Hence the trail. I figure by the time I get back I'll have decided just how to fix the problem.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're that dead set on fighting IU just pay for community college out of your pell grants. Then when your IU gets lifted you can use your bennies on a 4 year.

Kinda odd that they rescinded your GI Bill. Just what in the gently caress did you say to them?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:siren: Hardware Wars is now on amazon prime :siren:

When I was a kid we would watch that on one of those old reel to reel movie players in school, like back in uhhh long time ago.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Vasudus posted:

If you're that dead set on fighting IU just pay for community college out of your pell grants. Then when your IU gets lifted you can use your bennies on a 4 year.

Kinda odd that they rescinded your GI Bill. Just what in the gently caress did you say to them?

Well, he's not locked up, so it wasn't his post history.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Vasudus posted:

It's not rescinded, I can't access it until I show I'm not just unemployable but not too crazy for school. Yep, they can do that.

It's way easier to just jump through their hoops. I know how far up the rope I pissed and the person with all the chops that I have access to at this point has made it clear I hosed up and I'm gonna pay my dues for being a psychotic seeming rear end in a top hat. And then I can start at step one. Again.

And I didn't say anything illegal or anything. It's not really what you say, it's how psychotic they think you are after being an rear end in a top hat and how thick the file documenting your assholery and infrequently violent psychosis and assholery is.

And she thought I was pretty psychotic. And those are thick files. In the end my badly timed anger means my C&P money goes into a bank account my dad controls (he promptly wires it to me), and they're not paying out poo poo to educate me until I play their game. Source: Three different states heads of VR&E.

Shim'd it up good. :sigh:

It's why I take the pills now.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
On a happier note I'll probably be class valedictorian over at High School High. The whole juke'ing me over to the Dangerous Minds track was a real blindsider, and I did need to get back in therapy and poo poo and taking meds so the VR&E / GI bill roadblocks were for my own good.

At least I'm getting better enough to understand that clearly, now.

:unsmith:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I think the saddest part was like how when you do that VR&E appointment you gotta watch a video and its all about VR&E.

Some guy who lost half his cerebellum on a presence patrol gets rolled out as a VR&E success story because they got him a degree and a job. Sort of a "Hey look if Huey Half Brain here can do this poo poo your 30% or higher rated rear end can get an education and gainful employment too!"

Instead here I am with my C&P going to a wellsfargo account with my dads name on it, and a plucky Michelle Pfieffer as my future inner city home room high school teacher this fall when I attend high school high.

Also kids make sure the high school you graduated from was accredited. If you went to a really poo poo school or were in a poor area it might not have. An accredited high school diploma might have prevented this particular twist. Especially since I've already attended a little college.

Involuntary psychiatric treatments and holds are the herpes of federal paperwork. I would start a rant about how your rights go to gently caress in this country once they start declaring and diagnosing you this and that but who listens or cares about crazy people? Especially crazy vets? Dime a dozen.

Let's forget my sad brains talk and talk about the subtlety of jet fuel combustion vid a vis the feat of melting modern high carbon structural steels. Because I got questions.

:colbert:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

combo breaker, sorry shim.

Dont trust the VA unless you no other options.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

combo breaker, sorry shim.

Dont trust the VA unless you no other options.

Thanks.

A good portion of this is on me for not getting on meds and in therapy sooner.

The rest? Not so much. But it's not like I set myself up for success here. Just didn't know how hard a hard hit from the VA actually hit. Ya know?

Without exaggeration, employees of the VA can and sometimes will turn you into a second class citizen and gently caress with your life. Even the fat angry silverback at the front desk, boys. Tread softly, the gorillas in that most will gently caress you up good.

Real talk.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thx 4 ur service god bless america

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any of you guys can explain what this chart is telling me?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It says you're holding it sideways.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's saying "please call the VA"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Any of you guys can explain what this chart is telling me?

What that's saying is that you were given some sort of severance pay when you separated and they're recouping the amount that was paid to you.

They're going to do this because you cannot collect both DoD and VA funds without the combat related exclusion that allows you to double dip. However, they only deduct based on the percentage of your specific disabling condition.

Additionally, this means that your severance is now tax free. Since you were taxed on it initially, you can now collect the portion that was taxed. There's a process via mypay for this. You have to call them for this. If you wait until after the year is up, you'll get it on your tax return next year, but you can't efile.

I found all of this out the beginning of last year while trying to wrangle back my taxed portion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

What that's saying is that you were given some sort of severance pay when you separated and they're recouping the amount that was paid to you.

They're going to do this because you cannot collect both DoD and VA funds without the combat related exclusion that allows you to double dip. However, they only deduct based on the percentage of your specific disabling condition.

Additionally, this means that your severance is now tax free. Since you were taxed on it initially, you can now collect the portion that was taxed. There's a process via mypay for this. You have to call them for this. If you wait until after the year is up, you'll get it on your tax return next year, but you can't efile.

I found all of this out the beginning of last year while trying to wrangle back my taxed portion.

Yep that makes sense. I knew going in back pay probably wasn't going to happen due to the severance pay I took. Is the chart saying that my disability cash will be paid out starting 1 Sept 2016? And thank you. This is a big help.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Scheduled my free dental cleaning

In September :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yep that makes sense. I knew going in back pay probably wasn't going to happen due to the severance pay I took. Is the chart saying that my disability cash will be paid out starting 1 Sept 2016? And thank you. This is a big help.

Yeah that looks about right. Mine is being recouped until 2020.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Had a cleaning service come to my apartment today and holy poo poo this is the cleanest I've seen this place. Like cleaner than when I got it. Only downside is they rearranged some stuff and I can't find where they put my shoes.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

they're on the cleaning persons feet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Figuring out that one your coworkers is a mega devout mormon is weird. It's like the ending of Usual Suspects except significantly more lame. Suddenly, everything makes sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 25, 2015

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This one used to be in the Army as a doc (real one)

If you've ever had to serve with devout Mormons you'll know why it's just...weird.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Vasudus posted:

This one used to be in the Army as a doc (real one)

If you've ever had to serve with devout Mormons you'll know why it's just...weird.

One of my coworkers is pretty devout. Super nice, really polite and the most professional guy. Has a wife about 4 times out of his league and his kids are incredibly well behaved. Pretty much Ned Flanders IRL. He keeps root beer in our beer fridge, but he will sometimes have a cigar with us when we do after-hours bitch sessions

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Booblord Zagats posted:

One of my coworkers is pretty devout. Super nice, really polite and the most professional guy. Has a wife about 4 times out of his league and his kids are incredibly well behaved. Pretty much Ned Flanders IRL. He keeps root beer in our beer fridge, but he will sometimes have a cigar with us when we do after-hours bitch sessions

Oh no he'll never go to heaven Kolob now :ohdear:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh no he'll never go to heaven Kolob now :ohdear:

His reason is "It gives me something easy to atone for later"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's the magic underpants, glasses and "hey guys we totes found this new book that was left out of the original one, it's on these golden tablets- no you can't see them they were taken to heaven trust me." Parts that weird me out. I had a time after high school where I gave a wide variety of religions a month or so of attendance to see what they felt like and everything I got from Mormonism was a constant snake oil salesman vibe. People were nice, organization felt creepy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

SumYungGui posted:

It's the magic underpants, glasses and "hey guys we totes found this new book that was left out of the original one, it's on these golden tablets- no you can't see them they were taken to heaven trust me." Parts that weird me out. I had a time after high school where I gave a wide variety of religions a month or so of attendance to see what they felt like and everything I got from Mormonism was a constant snake oil salesman vibe. People were nice, organization felt creepy.

When Manti Teo got caught up with the whole fake dead girlfriend thing, I gave him the benefit of the doubt because if there's anything history teaches us, it's that Mormon's have a hard time figuring out even the most obvious scams

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Manti Te'o couldn't read a play action fake

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Genocide Tendency posted:

Still too close.

Edit:

If you are going to be hanging out at the OPC in Viera. Get Biggs as your Primary.

O'Kelley and Charbaneau for sad brains.

The advocate is pretty decent and will work to get poo poo done. Records suck, if you are there long enough to get hungry, starve because the canteen is horrible. Also, stop by to see the nutrition staff at least once, but make sure the wife isn't with you. Other than that, expect to die before getting any real medical care. ALso, stay out of Weusthoff medical anything.

im telling you what, form what ive heard and experienced...the Viera OPC must be at the top of the list performance wise...I have zero complaints...everyone is always cool...They arent fans are narcs so I dont even bother....I just smoke weed and there has been no issues....so far so good.....

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just realized that I returned to work from the unpleasantness a year ago today. That's going okay enough, my apartment isn't a trash heap, working the dating scene, no longer getting angry calls from the Army. Sobriety turned out to be pretty decent.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I honestly don't know if I'd rather go somewhere on spring break or just do what I am and getting sleep, drinking beer and playing vidya games. I should start studying for my quantum test next week. :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

do a short vacation sat-weds then thurs-sun chill at home?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HClChicken posted:

I honestly don't know if I'd rather go somewhere on spring break or just do what I am and getting sleep, drinking beer and playing vidya games. I should start studying for my quantum test next week. :(

Can't you just state that you did and did not get an A+ at the same time? Sounds easy I should do this quantum stuff.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

HClChicken posted:

feynman diagram out your dilemma & turn it in to your professor for extra test credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I drove down to New Mexico to see Carlsbad Caverns for spring break. Totally worth it. Took tons of pictures in true Asian tourist style. White Sands was kinda boring though, at least for me. Once you've seen one sand dune, you've seen them all.

Funny thing though, as I was hiking out to my campsite at White Sands, there was some doofus on top of a sand dune, doing yoga poses, taking selfies via a selfie stick. He was so self-absorbed that he didn't notice I was there till I walked behind him and photobombed him.

• Locked thread