Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Codependent Poster posted:

They likely can't hear Barbara since it's a secure feed to his cowl and just say that Batman has special lenses so nobody but him sees the screen.

It vibrates the small bones in his eyes, so he's the only one that can see her. - Bat Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nanomachines, Bats.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't really care if Joker shows up in Knight, so long as it's Cesar Romero.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone aside from Batman is repeatedly incredulous at how crazy the inmates who have repeatedly shown themselves to be crazy are.

I still will never get over Dr. Young, the Joker's actual psychiatrist in a mental hospital, says that she "thinks he might be insane".

Well Scarecrows psychiatrist does not even think Scarescrow is insane. He thinks he is perfectly sane but just evil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There was a tie-in bit of material that featured Dr. Young's notes on a number of the inmates in the asylum.

Her report on Scarecrow said he was the picture of mental health and that he'd never be inclined to use his fear gas again. :allears:

Here it is.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There was a tie-in bit of material that featured Dr. Young's notes on a number of the inmates in the asylum.

Her report on Scarecrow said he was the picture of mental health and that he'd never be inclined to use his fear gas again. :allears:

Here it is.

Wasn't Dr. Young corrupt as all-get out anyway?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wasn't Dr. Young corrupt as all-get out anyway?

Pretty much, yeah. I think she was trying to cover her own rear end rather than being genuinely concerned about what damage her research was going to do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

Was that Jonathan Banks playing commissioner Gordon?

He sounds about the same as he did in Arkham City, which would make it David Kaye.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
she was such a lovely therapist that she injected her patients with Venom so they wouldnt croak during her therapy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Having to save her during replays is always a drag since all I want is Croc to eat her immediately, especially once she starts frothing about getting her notes back. She is the worst.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I think she was trying to cover her own rear end rather than being genuinely concerned about what damage her research was going to do.

Well, it's pretty clearly implied that Crane's unusual in that he can, for an extended period, seem genuinely sane even to other psychiatrists.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Crane's main damage is that he just doesn't give a poo poo about people. To Crane, everyone's just a test subject waiting to happen. But he's studied psychiatry for long enough to know how to fake it so sometimes he convinces new doctors that he's actually sane. And as nebulous a term as "sane" is, Crane probably is one of the more sane inmates. He's just a sociopath with a thing for terror and chemical warfare. He doesn't seem to suffer from the wide variety of neuroses that tend to plague Arkham's more illustrious.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I wanna thank whoever mentioned the PS3 version's multiplayer still being active, because my copy came in today and I was immediately able to get into a match. Everyone else was like level 200 and I was level 1, but I got to play as Robin and me and the guy playing Batman just wrecked everyone. Ended up with the best K/D of everyone too. Man this multiplayer is a ton of fun.

Edit: Also I'm really glad they remapped the buttons for this game to have the shoulders and triggers do the same things they do on 360, because playing on a DualShock 4 feels really good. Can't imagine using those mushy awful DS3 triggers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how everyone aside from Batman is repeatedly incredulous at how crazy the inmates who have repeatedly shown themselves to be crazy are.

I still will never get over Dr. Young, the Joker's actual psychiatrist in a mental hospital, says that she "thinks he might be insane".

There were a lot of really weird line in Origins implying that Arkham was a prison rather than a sanitarium. Maybe the writers don't understand what mental illness is.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe the writers don't understand what mental illness is.

I think that's probably true of anyone who's ever written anything involving Batman, including me writing this forum post.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYQh0eZkRo

Exclusive new scene from Arkham Knight

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Lurdiak posted:

There were a lot of really weird line in Origins implying that Arkham was a prison rather than a sanitarium. Maybe the writers don't understand what mental illness is.

It's plain as day that almost every writer, from games, comics and television especially, know about as much as a Psy 101 student.

"THIS GUY IS MEAN SOMETIMES THEREFOR HE IS A PSYCHOPATH."
"Actually you have him genuinely caring about other human beings and doing stuff selflessly against his own interests to help them."
"Yeah but he really beat up those bad guys pretty bad so he's a psychopath. :downs:"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite are in Arkham bios from the long-term past where they slap schizophrenia onto literally everyone.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lurdiak posted:

Well, I mean... it's criminally insane, in particular...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, I mean... it's criminally insane, in particular...

That's only the one wing.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

There's that advertisement in the game talking about how Arkham is famous as a home for the criminally insane but they can totally take care of regular crazies, no really guys! It's totally safe to bring your uncle with mild PTSD in for a calm and relaxing talk with an Arkham psychiatrist, nothing could possibly go wrong! The mere fact that they have to advertise about how you can be an inmate at Arkham without a body count speaks volumes as to how the public probably views them.

Even if it didn't, the guard towers and fully stocked armory are evidence enough that even the Arkham administration doesn't really believe it's anything but a prison.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, after the 50th or so extremely brutal murder of personnel, steps had to be taken.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't help but wonder if there were any normal patients in Arkham Asylum during the events of the first game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't help but wonder if there were any normal patients in Arkham Asylum during the events of the first game.

If there were, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of them were killed violently.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Remember all those mooks you beat up?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shockeh posted:

Remember all those mooks you beat up?

There's some lines at the start about how Blackgate transferred a bunch of inmates over because a fire and they couldn't keep them until rebuilding was complete.

Then again, there were those gibbering lunatic guys.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
So Knight introduces a Chinatown area, right? Which means a Lnyx/King Snake storyline probably. Have they revealed what other areas there are that make it 5 times the size of City (which would make it what, twice as big as Origins)?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Bring back Sin Tzu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well those bitey guys in straightjackets who behave like zombies are supposed to be severe case patients who are just completely confused and lashing out. Another sensitive portrayal of the mentally ill in video games.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Those people were messed up by Strange, if I'm not mistaken.

But I meant mentally ill people who aren't inclined to get punched in the face by Batman. Chances are, as someone said previously, Joker probably killed them.

That or there are no non-:supaburn: inmates there, which is why the whole place looks like a torture facility. :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Those people were messed up by Strange, if I'm not mistaken.

But I meant mentally ill people who aren't inclined to get punched in the face by Batman. Chances are, as someone said previously, Joker probably killed them.

That or there are no non-:supaburn: inmates there, which is why the whole place looks like a torture facility. :v:

I think it says volumes about Arkham when the first thing the Blackgate does after they have a fire is to fill Arkhams spare capacity with inmates.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think there were any. Arkham, cheerful infomercial be damned, was obviously set up to handle exclusively the worst of the worst.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

Well those bitey guys in straightjackets who behave like zombies are supposed to be severe case patients who are just completely confused and lashing out. Another sensitive portrayal of the mentally ill in video games.

Yeah, those are normal patients of various sorts that Strange got his hands on for brainwashing and psych experiments.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Man this multiplayer is a ton of fun.

I know right? I had finally got to Origins on my backlog and was only looking at the MP out of curiosity mostly at first, then surprise, there's still a pretty good number of people playing it. :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yardbomb posted:

I know right? I had finally got to Origins on my backlog and was only looking at the MP out of curiosity mostly at first, then surprise, there's still a pretty good number of people playing it. :v:

Predator mode against real people is fun.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Fictional places inhabited by fictional characters are not accurate portrayals of real world circumstance. Hold the loving phones. Again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When they say 5X the size of Arkham City, is this going to be a Justice Cause 2 thing where a lot of that space is just sort of open? Or like a lot of highway you don't actually get to do much on other than drive?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

When they say 5X the size of Arkham City, is this going to be a Justice Cause 2 thing where a lot of that space is just sort of open? Or like a lot of highway you don't actually get to do much on other than drive?

I bet it'll be the opposite of Just Cause 2 but effectively the same, much of the city will be skyscraper districts with little practical gameplay space except to drive through and/or fight random mooks on foot between designated story/exploration zones.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like if Shadows of Mordor had come out sooner, Rocksteady might have aped a lot of concepts. If only they'd make just one more Batman game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like if Shadows of Mordor had come out sooner, Rocksteady might have aped a lot of concepts. If only they'd make just one more Batman game...

I don't think that would've turned out well. SoM's nemesis system is really impressive, but in order for it to work the devs had to strip the environment and game structure of most of its other features.

• Locked thread