Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ElwoodCuse posted:

Anyone who's played a lot of RCT will recognize stock sounds of people cheering/laughing/screaming from tons of different places

It's really everywhere. There's that really exciteable giggle, and then some dude yelling "yeeeaaaahhhh", as if he's on the Scrambler, and he's just passing by. It sounds like it's got a bit of a doppler effect on it.

Every. 30. seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Anyone who's played a lot of RCT will recognize stock sounds of people cheering/laughing/screaming from tons of different places

They also have the entirety of the merry-go-round music embedded in their memory. In fact you're probably hearing it now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jehde posted:

They also have the entirety of the merry-go-round music embedded in their memory. In fact you're probably hearing it now.

This is interesting (and horribly formatted).

http://www.chrissawyergames.com/feature1.htm

An old GeoCities-esque page posted:

The movie "Mission Impossible 2" contains exactly the same crowd sound effect as was used in RollerCoaster Tycoon ! It's well hidden, but if you watch the film carefully, you'll notice the same "Come on, come on, come on" chant in amongst the crowd background sound as exists in RollerCoaster Tycoon. There's no connection between Mission Impossible 2 and RollerCoaster Tycoon though, only that the film makers happened to licence exactly the same 30-second sound recording as we licensed for the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sometimes reading threads in here something about a video game like Counter Strike or TF2 will come up. And if the stars align the conversation will bring up Unusual hats or knives that sell for hundreds of dollars.

The bewilderment of how someone could pay that much for an item from a video game is always glorious to read. :allears:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

StabMasterArson posted:

Battlefield Hardline's singleplayer has a mission where you're breaking into somebody's mansion when suddenly armed goons show up! One of the rooms has a huge tv and video game consoles set up with pizza boxes lying around. If you watch the 2 guards in the room for long enough, one of them actually turns the game on and starts playing Dead Space. Even cooler, if you distract the guy playing with a noise or letting him think he's spot you, if you go check the TV again you'll see he paused the game before coming to look for you

Now I know I need to buy the game, that sounds awesome.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In Borderlands 2 (side note: if anyone wants to play co-op I'm on Xbox Live as MarvelousPants) there's a mission to rename the Bullymongs. At one point the guy gets frustrated because his names keep getting shot down and he calls them Bonerfarts. Everyone knows this one.

During this part of the mission, though, the smaller Bullymongs get renamed to Bonertoots :3:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
In 'this war of mine' I just had my guy hide while a girl was taken away to be raped, just so I could steal some planks and half-spoiled meat from a supermarket the bad guy was guarding. Not sure how I feel about that

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In 3D Out Run, the various combinations of the four cheats all have visual effects on the car you drive, and most have their own unique paint j-

Nuclear War posted:

In 'this war of mine' I just had my guy hide while a girl was taken away to be raped, just so I could steal some planks and half-spoiled meat from a supermarket the bad guy was guarding. Not sure how I feel about that

:yikes:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuclear War posted:

:stare:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So....how bout those Bonertoots guys

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MindlessHavok posted:

So....how bout those Bonertoots guys

If you for some reason decide to let the quest persist for your entire game (and why wouldn't you) instead of turning it in, you will find that the special rock throwing bullymongs you only encounter in the endgame areas also have 'bonerfart' added to their names (bonerfart slinger, etc.).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CJacobs posted:

If you for some reason decide to let the quest persist for your entire game (and why wouldn't you) instead of turning it in, you will find that the special rock throwing bullymongs you only encounter in the endgame areas also have 'bonerfart' added to their names (bonerfart slinger, etc.).

Every bullymong in the game is renamed to bonerfart while you're on that stage of the quest.

So of course my friends had one of us never finish that quest on his playthrough, and made sure he was always hosting.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

You can see those early in the game too. They're all over the first section just outside of Liar's Berg. Pretty sure there's some in the areas where you find Corporal Reise as you're trying to get into Sanctuary

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

You could have easily jumped him when he turned his back, bashed his head in with your fists and taken his assault rifle. You both objectively and morally made the wrong choice. :v:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xoidanor posted:

You could have easily jumped him when he turned his back, bashed his head in with your fists and taken his assault rifle. You both objectively and morally made the wrong choice. :v:

But then your dudes get sad about killing a man and mope around all the time

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

But then your dudes get sad about killing a man and mope around all the time

I think the rapist is like the one case where you get commended for killing someone.

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!
These all sound interesting, but I need you all to shut up and realize that the Saints Row franchise is the best ever when it comes to little things. This is the game that made it okay to gently caress around because it's fun, and that is beautiful. These are the games where very few things are gritty, and my co-op partner and I could soup up a pair of mopeds with nitrous and decals and zing off to try and gently caress up the Ronin. Dressed as sexy cowboys. And then in the DLC for number four, watch a Disney Musical number about it. Brilliant.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
SR2 had an awesome dressup system, but 3 and 4 dumbed it down and it wasn't nearly as good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

In Borderlands 2 (side note: if anyone wants to play co-op I'm on Xbox Live as MarvelousPants) there's a mission to rename the Bullymongs. At one point the guy gets frustrated because his names keep getting shot down and he calls them Bonerfarts. Everyone knows this one.

During this part of the mission, though, the smaller Bullymongs get renamed to Bonertoots :3:

Wow, I had no idea :3: Gonna look for this next time.

Goddamn, I love BL2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bloodborne will splatter your character with blood and other body fluids during fights, including the lovely water and sewage you trawl through. You will look absolutely disgusting after a violent encounter and it's wonderful. :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I noticed that in previews. Your character never seems to be clean which fit's the atmosphere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mokinokaro posted:

I noticed that in previews. Your character never seems to be clean which fit's the atmosphere.

It's great as it's one of the things you don't really notice until you stop after a fight and look at how much crap's been splattered everywhere. There's even big streaks and splashes of blood over the scenery if someone's been knocked around.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins had blood splatter that would persist into cutscenes as well.

It also automatically removed helmets from characters during the cutscenes and when you were in non-combat areas which was great. It was the first game I remember playing that did that. It was a minor annoyance in older games, but when games started having stuff like facial mo-cap it started to feel like you were missing out on a lot of work from the developers because you had equipped your character with a helmet. Mass Effect 2 was frustrating with that, because I'd spent time building my character's face in the last game, and cosmetic effects would happen to the character based on player actions, but if you wanted to use a helmet instead of the doofy looking visor or go equipment less you couldn't see your face for most of the game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, I had no idea :3: Gonna look for this next time.

Goddamn, I love BL2.

I once found a box that had "Gwen's Head" in it. I think your character yells "WHATS IN THE BOX?!?" But you also get an achievement for it. Can't remember where the hell I found it though.

It was during the Top Gun mission but I wasn't able to find it on other playthroughs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Dragon Age: Origins had blood splatter that would persist into cutscenes as well.

It also automatically removed helmets from characters during the cutscenes and when you were in non-combat areas which was great. It was the first game I remember playing that did that. It was a minor annoyance in older games, but when games started having stuff like facial mo-cap it started to feel like you were missing out on a lot of work from the developers because you had equipped your character with a helmet. Mass Effect 2 was frustrating with that, because I'd spent time building my character's face in the last game, and cosmetic effects would happen to the character based on player actions, but if you wanted to use a helmet instead of the doofy looking visor or go equipment less you couldn't see your face for most of the game.

There's an Octocamo mask in MGS4 that leaves you looking like Snake has put a bag over his head. Makes the lengthy cutscenes a bit silly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

I once found a box that had "Gwen's Head" in it. I think your character yells "WHATS IN THE BOX?!?" But you also get an achievement for it. Can't remember where the hell I found it though.

It was during the Top Gun mission but I wasn't able to find it on other playthroughs.

it spawns in a cardboard box every time you enter the Dust. the box appears in a random location on the map though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MindlessHavok posted:

I thought it was Handsome Jack that said that? Regardless, I found it near the connection point to Lynchwood, in the station where you have the shootout if you're doing the Clan War quests.

edit: the guy above me has a better explanation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alouicious posted:

it spawns in a cardboard box every time you enter the Dust. the box appears in a random location on the map though.

And yes, it is Handsome Jack who says that. I just watched an achievement hunter video for it before checking this thread, which is kind of weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've been playing Max Payne 3 again, and despite the pretty huge problem that is the unskippable cutscenes, that game does a lot of poo poo really well. Particularly the soccer stadium level, which gives you a lot of high staircases to leap down for super-long shootdodges where you can headshot like five guys in one go.

Also the way it handles bulletproof vests- they'll stop rounds from handguns and the like, but if you pump a few into the vest, it'll stun or knock down the guy wearing it if they don't end up punching through. Hell, with the heavily armored guys, it's worth it to spray them with an SMG to knock them on their back so you can get at the spots the armor can't cover, which is a classy way of saying "shoot them in the taint".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The character creator in Dragonball Xenoverse (i.e. Create A Goku) let's you compare yourself to a spectral Goku, so you don't have that problem where the character looks fine in the character creator but is out of scale with everything in the actual game.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

mycot posted:

The character creator in Dragonball Xenoverse (i.e. Create A Goku) let's you compare yourself to a spectral Goku, so you don't have that problem where the character looks fine in the character creator but is out of scale with everything in the actual game.

I thought that was so great. I think all games need to be way improved on the previewing. Let me see poo poo with real game lighting and with normal animations and talking so I can tell if this poo poo falls apart when the game loads. Also more Goku in all games.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Ghostku should be one of the unlockable varients of Goku

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mods please rename me to Spectral Goku

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've been playing Max Payne 3 again, and despite the pretty huge problem that is the unskippable cutscenes, that game does a lot of poo poo really well. Particularly the soccer stadium level, which gives you a lot of high staircases to leap down for super-long shootdodges where you can headshot like five guys in one go.

Also the way it handles bulletproof vests- they'll stop rounds from handguns and the like, but if you pump a few into the vest, it'll stun or knock down the guy wearing it if they don't end up punching through. Hell, with the heavily armored guys, it's worth it to spray them with an SMG to knock them on their back so you can get at the spots the armor can't cover, which is a classy way of saying "shoot them in the taint".

Yeah, overall I liked playing Max Payne 3. It has the problems that everyone (rightfully) complains about, but the shooting was really god damned good.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I thought that was so great. I think all games need to be way improved on the previewing. Let me see poo poo with real game lighting and with normal animations and talking so I can tell if this poo poo falls apart when the game loads. Also more Goku in all games.

This drove me especially nuts in Saint's Row games. Usually when I started up a new game, I'd immediately hit the plastic surgeon to try to find something that the color grading or animations didn't agree with (other times these problems improved the experience, so whatever).

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

MindlessHavok posted:

You can also find "Gwen's Other Head" in a box that's randomly placed in the Titan Industrial Facility in the Pre-Sequel

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

That's something Xenoverse gets right as well. The lighting's as bright as most of the rest of the game.

I LOATHE the DA:Inquisition character creator because it's dark with a green glow that makes colors tricky to discern.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Combined with the fact that there are no face codes like in Mass Effect, and that your character won't stop fidgeting every three seconds, so good luck trying to match any sliders by naked eye! :argh:

I hate that character creator so goddamn much that it physically hurts. Not to mention that the entire prologue of the game also has weird lighting, so you have to get all the way through to Haven in order to see what your character will look like for the other 99% of the game. The Black Emporium literally cannot be added fast enough.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One tiny thing I really get a kick out of in Battlefield: Hardline is that when you're playing as a criminal, occasionally spotting an enemy will, instead of the usual pointing animation, have your character flip them the bird.

There's something really special about your guy taking the time to flip off a police sniper who just took a shot at him before ducking behind cover.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Generic American posted:

Combined with the fact that there are no face codes like in Mass Effect, and that your character won't stop fidgeting every three seconds, so good luck trying to match any sliders by naked eye! :argh:

I hate that character creator so goddamn much that it physically hurts. Not to mention that the entire prologue of the game also has weird lighting, so you have to get all the way through to Haven in order to see what your character will look like for the other 99% of the game. The Black Emporium literally cannot be added fast enough.

My favorite little thing in ME3 is that they somehow managed to screw up character import, to the point where a code from ME2 would actually generate a completely different face in ME3. And slider matching didn't really work either, when they somehow threw out the settings they'd had for 1 and 2, and made it so that a slide position in 1 would carry over into 2, but would be something entirely different in 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Generic American posted:

Agreed. Every character I've made so far has looked about two shades paler in-game than in the character creator. Better hair would also be nice, but it's Bioware so that probably isn't happening.

However, I do love that one of the default Hawke heads is grotesquely fat.