Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Bayonetta 2 is the infamously Nintendo-exclusive sequel to one of PlatinumGames' (PG) best original IPs. It was released in Japan on September 20th 2014, then the rest of the world followed (hair)suit a month later on October 24. Hideki Kamiya, who directed the original, unfortunately took a back seat for the sequel due to working on The Wonderful 101 at the same time. Instead, the producer from the first game, Yusuke Hashimoto, now sits in the director's seat, with Atsushi Inaba from PG and Hitoshi Yamagami from Nintendo as producers. However, Kamiya is still credited as a supervisor, having written the story for the second game. I think Bayonetta 2 is a pretty good game, but by no means does it surpass its predecessor.

Originally, Sega funded the sequel, having been the ones who published the original. However, the project ran out of money and subsequently was left for dead. Nintendo then stepped in, and said they would bankroll the project. To say it plainly, Bayonetta 2 would not have existed without Nintendo's intervention and therefore will always be a Nintendo exclusive unless they say otherwise, so that's the last of it I want to hear.

The plot of Bayonetta 2 was written in a way so that playing the first game is not necessarily required. However, Kamiya has stated that fans of the original will appreciate the sequel better, so I'd suggest you go play the game (because it is a good game), or go watch an LP of it or something.

Forums user toddy. joins me for commentary this time. Once again, this is going to be a 100% LP. This means all collectibles, secrets and easter eggs. As usual, in-game notes and documents will be posted as they come up for each update.

I want to emphasise a no spoiler policy for this LP. That means no spoilers, tagged or otherwise. I know, the story is not the point of this game. However, I also know goons get awfully excitable about games and really want to talk about things like weapons, enemies, or maybe some cool bit that happens way later in the game before they appear in the LP. For the sake of those who are watching this blind, take the spoiler talk to the Games thread if you really think your opinions matter that much.

With that said, let's rock, baby!

Bayonetta

"Cereza" to those who know her well enough.

The Umbra Witch and angel slayer extraordinaire. The daughter of an Umbra Witch and a Lumen Sage, she's embued with the Left Eye of Darkness, which is said to be associated with a godly presence.

Bayonetta practices "bullet arts", a beautifully deadly dance-like fighting style performed with a combination of melee attacks and the guns on her hands and feet.

Jeanne

Bayonetta's former-rival-turned-best-friend, and fellow Umbra Witch. Her abduction, and the curiosities surrounding it, are what kick off Bayonetta's adventure across the three planes of existence.

Rodin

The infernal weaponsmith returns, still running the bar known as The Gates of Hell, where Bayonetta can have new weapons made, pick up all sorts of items and accessories, and learn new moves. However recent events have prompted Rodin to step into the fray himself - and when he does, things get explosive!

Enzo

Though his being the butt of the series' more elaborate jokes may suggest otherwise, Enzo is actually a resourceful informant and consequently a valuable member of Bayonetta's entourage. In both the original game and this one, it is Enzo who finds out where Bayonetta will have to journey to find whatever answers she seeks.

Loki

This mysterious boy joins Bayonetta in her quest while pursuing one of his own. To say that the two's personalities and even ideologies are at odds is an understatement, but perhaps, just perhaps along the way, they might learn to find some common ground.

Along with being quite agile, Loki can toss cards to attack and can project magic fields to defend himself in battle.

Luka

A scoop-searching journalist armed with naught but a grappling hook and a rather curious luck factor, Luka Redgrave (son of Antonio) chases after Bayonetta wherever he can, because let's face it: Where Bayonetta goes, supernatural spectacle follows! As the aforementioned luck would have it, Luka's research clues him in to a massive legend, and it is that legend that sets this game in motion.

Update 00: Time for the (Umbran) Climax!
Update 01: Pure Platinum Destruction
Update 02: You Want To Touch Me?
Update 03: Into the Drink
Update 04: Light And Darkness
Update 05: Contractual Obligations
Update 06: Let It Rip!
Update 07: Pretty Boys
Update 08: Ice And Fire
Update 09: Trashbag Realness
Update 10: Demon Tedium
Update 11: Whisperer of Dementia
Update 12: Darkness Envelops Light
Update 13: Come To Mummy!
Update 14: Like A Tank
Update 15: Time Loop Tango
Update 16: New Year, New Heels

An explanation of the changes in the save system

Concept art from the in-game gallery.

Concept Art - Characters, Enemies and Infernal Demons
Concept Art - Backgrounds
Concept Art - Objects

As you might know, the Lost Chapter takes its cues from the first game - a two hour crampfest of trying to survive 51 stages of fighting enemies. Bayonetta 2 changes things up by splitting the Lost Chapter across five separate chapters, which is great in some ways, and not so great in other ways.

Witch Trial I | Witch Trial II | Witch Trial III | Witch Trial IV | Witch Trial V

When I said I would show everything off, I meant everything, so that includes the new co-op mode as well. However, I figured presenting Tag Climax in the same manner as the rest of the LP would be boring for all parties included, so I decided to rope in guests of varying backgrounds to talk about the Bayonetta series instead. It's essentially a podcast series talking about Bayonetta mechanics, lore and what we did or didn't like about the games, so consider these videos optional viewing. If you're looking for a basic intro to the new gameplay mode, here's my explanation on it, because there won't be any meaningful information about Tag Climax in the podcasts. All the podcast updates will have .mp3 downloads links available in the video description.

Podcast 1: Featuring Doshmaster Cash, General Beatrix and Flicky
Podcast 2: Featuring Morninglord22
Podcast 3: Featuring Ben Ruiz and Saurian Dash

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Look, ya mentioned TIngle and-

I'm sorry.

I'm so sorry.

Rumrusher on Twitter also sent me this gem:

Talking about the graphical wonder at the end of Update 02:

mkob posted:

drowZebra posted:

Can someone please explain why that graphical glitch happens or how it is happening?
What makes it so that the previous frames just stay on the screen then slowly fade away or get covered up by the character model, effects, and the level itself?

That's not a glitch, it's a feature

Camel Pimp posted:

I don't really think that visual freak out gifs very well, but you can't say I didn't try!

Rumrusher continues to be an amazing person:

Loki is helpful

Bayonetta and Loki squirrel buddies (Rumrusher continuing to be a wonderful contributor)

BondageOcelot Mum wants to play with you

mkob posted:

Had to do it

One final bit of fanart by mkob because he is a cool dude. Context: https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/707178725293428736

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 11, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 00: Time For The (Umbran) Climax! No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Love is Blue

A set of guns masterfully crafted by the famed demon-smith Rodin, waiting for their time to finally be put to use. Individually, their names are Prelude, Minuet, Toccata and Nocturne.

These weapons are no second fiddle to Scarborough Fair in terms of control and power.

While useful as standard melee weapons, they can also summon demons through Wicked Weaves and use the Umbran Climax, a secret skill that unleashes the user's saved-up magic energy to give them enhanced powers.

Acceptance

Among the nine ranks in the angelic hierarchy, Acceptance belongs to the bottom of the Third Sphere called Angels, the hierarchy's lowest rank. It appears to those who are moments away from death in a half-human, half-pegasus form with glittering wings.

Characterized as the symbol of death and acceptance, various legends tell of Acceptance solemnly placing the souls of the dead upon its back and carrying them away, ignoring their past deeds and any pleas for a second chance.

Belief

Belonging to the Second Sphere, Beliefs are considered a Power, the sixth rank of the angelic hierarchy. Their sturdy, dominating size makes them an ideal candidate for giving orders on the front lines during wars with Inferno.

The gigantic snakelike right arm of Beliefs has caused them to often be depicted in legends as hideous creatures, but in reality, this feature is meant to be a divine whip for binding evil with its unwavering faith.

Gomorrah

A monstrous creature hailing from the demonic wood, Johnson Forest. Taking the form of a dragon, it is incredibly fierce, identifying all that moves as game and devouring its prey. Territorial, it is most likely to be found alone.

Labolas

A beloved pet dog who had the bad luck to wander into hell, but the good luck and survival instincts to get through its harsh environment and grow into a force to be reckoned with.

With its superb hunting abilities, it has even become known to some as a merciless butcher. Once it has sunk its sharp canines into its enemy, it will not let go until their last breath.

Madama Butterfly

A demon taking the form of a woman who left this world under unfortunate circumstances, only to be reincarnated in hell. Unlike her beautiful, swallowtail-butterfly-like appearance, this demon is particularly brutal, and her reputation is well known even amongst the denizens of Inferno.

If a conjurer were to sign a contract and trade her soul, the demon would impart upon her enormous power and great wisdom.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 20, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm basically eternally on the fence about getting this, I did enjoy Bayonetta 1 a whole lot, but other games keep coming out that I'm more interested in (and don't suck at) keep pushing this game back, so I shall be interested to see what's new with this one!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Toddy please stop invading other peoples' perfectly fine LPs and defiling them with your demonic taint posting from your voice hole.

It is I, toddy, renowned Bayonetta cosplayer.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Glad to see you're finally doing it, I have been waiting for this. Also Yosh, please consider bringing some people from /cgg/ in a video or two to criticize the gameplay changes between bayo 1 and 2, this should make for some interesting debates.

EDIT: something that's always been bothering me, what does Bayonetta says when dodging and entering witch time sometimes? It sounds like "commence" or similar, any idea what it is?

mkob fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 24, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mkob posted:

Glad to see you're finally doing it, I have been waiting for this. Also Yosh, please consider bringing some people from /cgg/ in a video or two to criticize the gameplay changes between bayo 1 and 2, this should make for some interesting debates.

EDIT: something that's always been bothering me, what does Bayonetta says when dodging and entering witch time sometimes? It sounds like "commence" or similar, any idea what it is?

I usually hear something like "So close"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Considering how good the first LP turned out, it is a lock that this is going to be great on the whole as your both tear through the game and into it outright for all the quirks---first episode didn't disappoint!

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I usually hear something like "So close"

Yeah that's one of them but she has different sound clips every time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Isn't Bayonetta's whole thing that her clothes are her hair? So how exactly is she making her outfit with short hair I AM CONFUSED.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Veloxyll posted:

Isn't Bayonetta's whole thing that her clothes are her hair? So how exactly is she making her outfit with short hair I AM CONFUSED.

Magic. Also head hair's not the only kind of hair a person has! :v:

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.
I'm eager to hear what criticism people have with this game, as I thought it was pretty great. I didn't even realize Enzo had a different voice actor from the original.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The biggest improvement in Bayonetta 2 is Bayo's hairdo, really.

Also, out of curiosity, what are your plans for the multiplayer mode?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can't wait to hear what problems you had with the game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I got this game for Christmas, and between it and Bayo 1 (which i had never beaten before) I had a hell of a few weeks. It was great and I love this game. Can't wait to see someone who is much better at it than me take it on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Somebody refresh my memory - did combos remove your pants in the first game too? Because the amount of fanservice involved seems rather extreme.

edit: VVV I didn't, that's why I'm asking. Was under the impression that it was kept to cutscenes. Whatever. We don't want this discussion here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 24, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yoshesque posted:

I think Bayonetta 2 is a pretty good game, but by no means does it surpass its predecessor.

I respectfully disagree.
Also you're dumb and you smell bad.

anilEhilated posted:

Somebody refresh my memory - did combos remove your pants in the first game too? Because the amount of fanservice involved seems rather extreme.

Of course they did. You did play Bayonetta right?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Because the amount of fanservice involved seems rather extreme.

I have no idea what you're talking about

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Honestly, I kind of like this game better than Bayo 1, if only due to how good those colors are. Just look at them! They're great! I have other reasons I like this game better but they're kind of spoilery.

I will admit that I played this game before Bayo 1, so that might taint my opinion.

(neither are as good as 101, tho.)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh yeah, eager to see this LP. :dance:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Interesting that you're not as fond of this game, since I'm of the exact opposite opinion as you with regards to the quality of the two games. Though this might be due to the fact that the game plays more like games that I'm more familiar with like Devil May Cry 3/4, God Hand, Rising and W101, and I'm also clearly way worse at either Bayonetta than you (3rd Climax may be a trivial step up for you, but it's pushing my poo poo in right now :sweatdrop:).

Still, I'm no stranger to being the undergrad who disagrees with the professor, so I'll just shut up and let the master extol their case. That said removing the quick-press QTE's and insta-death chase sequences in favour of Wonderful 101's system of just booting you back with a little less life Zelda style is a clear and marked improvement and I will never change my mind on this. :colbert:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

yoshesque posted:

I think Bayonetta 2 is a pretty good game, but by no means does it surpass its predecessor.

What alternate reality did I just stumble onto and how do I go back home.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh heavens yes. I'm actually alright at this game, but it'll be nice to see how it's really meant to be played.

mkob posted:

"Can''t touch!", or "Can't touch me!" I guess?

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"Can''t touch!", or "Can't touch me!" I guess?

Here's the sound clip

koh-menst...?

EDIT: "almost"
mystery solved, now I can die in peace. I should wash my ears more often too.

mkob fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 24, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trick Question posted:

Honestly, I kind of like this game better than Bayo 1, if only due to how good those colors are. Just look at them! They're great! I have other reasons I like this game better but they're kind of spoilery.

My reasons are pretty simple and non-spoilery. The enemies are less annoying, the levels have more variety, the game's more colorful and visually appealing, and the bosses are way more fun to battle. Also they got rid of the stupid "oh poo poo a rock is flying at you press A to not die TOO LATE GAME OVER" quick-time events.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That's pretty clearly "almost"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

She's saying, "Almost!".

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Excellent! I love this game and am eager to see it delved into in-depth. The general reception seems to be that it's better in almost every way so it will be interesting to see some views from the other side.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
As someone who loves Bayonetta 1 and 2 a whole lot but is not good enough to really grasp the depths of its combat, I'm intrigued to see what issues you have with this game. I didn't really notice much changes (you can still dodge offset, that's all I really need tbh), but I'm sure way down deep there are some crazy differences.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I played the ever loving poo poo out of this game and it was my favorite title from 2014. I'm looking forward to see you go through this in detail, maybe even learn a thing or two I might have missed (I assume).

This should be a good one.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I loving love this game. Yoshesque, your LP put me on to Bayo1 and that obviously put me on to 2, so thanks for adding 70 hours of joy to my life.

That said I can't understand how anyone could consider 2 to not be the superior game, with its slightly altered mechanics (I wasn't a big fan of juggling everything), hugely improved presentation and truckload of quality-of-life improvements.

Of course, I'm not without bones to pick. Moon River - a great arrange - is criminally underused (especially frustrating considering that Bayo1 was pulling out Fly Me To The Moon - which I despise - all the goddamn time). And - in true Platinum fashion - the checkpointing is a little hosed and often unfriendly to anyone chasing ranks (and there's no restart checkpoint button! What's up with that!).

Anyway. Know what I love about Platinum? Someday, somehow, they're going to make an opening that's even better than a dance-off with centaur-angels on top of a fighter jet.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Counterpoint - there's no reason to use magic besides Witch Weave mode.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well, this finally made me pick the original game back up. I've had it for over four years, but never got around to playing more than the first hour of it ("I'll play it when I get into the right mindset!"). I also bought Bayo 2 shortly after launch, but haven't touched that one yet because I thought I'd play through the original first. Why yes, my vidya game backlog is shamefully huge :negative:

Anyway, I've played through the first two chapters of Bayo 1 on normal and I have no earthly idea what I'm doing. :downs: I watched the first couple of videos of the original LP to hopefully get some pointers, but mostly I just went "what the hell how do you even do any of this poo poo :stonk:" and got slightly depressed.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Debating getting a Wii U, and this would be one of the games I'd pick up if I did. I suppose I should probably check out the first game first, though.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Seyser Koze posted:

Debating getting a Wii U, and this would be one of the games I'd pick up if I did. I suppose I should probably check out the first game first, though.
The second game comes with the first one included, so it's all a good purchase.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ArclightBorealis posted:

If you're in the US. If you're in Europe there's a version without the first game, and a version with that costs slightly more. Still worth it though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

ArclightBorealis posted:

Not all of the versions of Bayo 2 include the first one, though, at least not in Europe. I thought all copies came with it (probably should have looked it up beforehand, and the Gamestop drone could also have done his job and told me about this stuff), but learned the hard way that this isn't the case.

At least it didn't really matter because I already had the 360 version.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

The biggest improvement in Bayonetta 2 is Bayo's hairdo, really.

Also, out of curiosity, what are your plans for the multiplayer mode?

I haven't really thought too much about how I'm going to present the multiplayer mode. I had vague aspirations to show off all the stages on all difficulties but that seems needlessly complicated and most people wouldn't care for it anyway. I've got vague plans in the back of my mind but I won't be doing anything with it until the end of the LP anyway, so I've got some time to mull over it.

And for those of you who are wondering why I would rate this game lower than the first, it essentially boils down to an imbalance in the combat system due to the way the developers had to alter the system to accommodate Umbran Climax. Umbran Climax is so OP that there's no reason to save your magic for anything else because it is the best use of your magic almost 100% of the time. Torture Attacks require the same amount of magic to use, but only target one enemy, while UC gives you range and can hit multiple enemies.

This game has ridiculously strict platinum time requirements that I suspect are based on using UC in order to meet them, and barring a few verses, you will never get a platinum for time if you use a Torture Attack. Due to the time requirements, there's little to no chances to gently caress around/style/juggle enemies. The game just becomes a grind of "kill everything ASAP".

There's much more to my issues with the game than just UC, and I expect I'll be covering all my grievances in a separate video, but that's basically what it boils down to.

Seyser Koze posted:

As much as I didn't enjoy Wonderful 101, it is very definitely a good game and is very much worth your time and money.

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.

yoshesque posted:

I haven't really thought too much about how I'm going to present the multiplayer mode. I had vague aspirations to show off all the stages on all difficulties but that seems needlessly complicated and most people wouldn't care for it anyway. I've got vague plans in the back of my mind but I won't be doing anything with it until the end of the LP anyway, so I've got some time to mull over it.

And for those of you who are wondering why I would rate this game lower than the first, it essentially boils down to an imbalance in the combat system due to the way the developers had to alter the system to accommodate Umbran Climax. Umbran Climax is so OP that there's no reason to save your magic for anything else because it is the best use of your magic almost 100% of the time. Torture Attacks require the same amount of magic to use, but only target one enemy, while UC gives you range and can hit multiple enemies.

This game has ridiculously strict platinum time requirements that I suspect are based on using UC in order to meet them, and barring a few verses, you will never get a platinum for time if you use a Torture Attack. Due to the time requirements, there's little to no chances to gently caress around/style/juggle enemies. The game just becomes a grind of "kill everything ASAP".

There's much more to my issues with the game than just UC, and I expect I'll be covering all my grievances in a separate video, but that's basically what it boils down to.

That's a fair gripe. I gave up on chasing after pure platinum because I found it tough making the time limit most of the time, and it wasn't much fun finding ways to shave seconds off long verses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Entirely fair, when I play this game I usually settle for platinums or golds so I wouldn't notice that. I wouldn't say discouraging people from using torture attacks is necessarily a bad thing, though, considering how boring they are after you've done them n times.

• Locked thread