Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Does anyone know what the FETs used on a Losi Micro Crawler are? I just burnt mine.. and they want $50 to get a new control board.

Iv'e got a total of like five packs through the thing, and then this. :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I finished up and debuted my new "Tall Boy" retro racer last weekend. I kicked rear end and won the retro class with it. I'm addicted to building these old trucks. Racing them with a Traxxas DTS-1 timing system is a freaking blast.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tommychu posted:

You want your first 3-5 charges to be super slow (if you want the packs to last), like an amp or less. After that you can throw the juice to them, don't exceed 5A and back off if they start warming up before they hit full charge.

I read a FAQ on the traxxas website and did the first charges at 5a. Oops :(

I took it out for a rip for 5 mins or so last night. Its way beyond my skill level, I'm going to need to put some hours on it. Luckily there is an RC club track 5 mins from my house, its an outdoor track with a crawler course beside it, and also a bmx track that was built wrong for bmx but has high speed shallow jumps that would be great for an RC car.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I just got word from a friend that he is opening up a 1/5 scale off-road raceway about 40 mins from my house. He has his zoning permit, timing system, insurance carrier and already has the track rough dragged with his tractor. He's just waiting on the weather to turn to finish it up with his Bobcat.

Ugh. I'm going to go broke. I've always wanted a large scaler but never had reason. Now I must get one. Hey krushgroove you got any old Bajas sitting around in the closets at HPI HQ? :getin:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I just got word from a friend that he is opening up a 1/5 scale off-road raceway about 40 mins from my house. He has his zoning permit, timing system, insurance carrier and already has the track rough dragged with his tractor. He's just waiting on the weather to turn to finish it up with his Bobcat.

Ugh. I'm going to go broke. I've always wanted a large scaler but never had reason. Now I must get one. Hey krushgroove you got any old Bajas sitting around in the closets at HPI HQ? :getin:

He is on the wrong side of the pond. Good news is that I will be able to help you with all of the other goodies to go along with it :heysexy: :homebrew:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the 2wd slash sucks in the snow. I'd like to compliment it with something 4wd for snow and shittier terrain. Is there such a thing as a 2 speed transmission ? It would be nice to set up a wraith or yeti as a crawler and then also bomb it around on the wide open stuff. Or is it possible to build a crawler that can also go fast ?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Summits have a two speed transmission. So do the RC4WD Trailfinders, but I don't think those are going to be all that fast even so.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

Summits have a two speed transmission. So do the RC4WD Trailfinders, but I don't think those are going to be all that fast even so.

Hrmm. Could a summit in low range be used for crawling or should I just build a crawler and hit it with a 3s lipo...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

My Revo 3.3 was 4wd and had a 2 speed transmission. It also topped out at 60mph and went over any and all terrain. Maybe go for an E-Revo? They're pretty much the same, except instead of the 3.3 Nitro engine they're brushless electric and much less of a hassle to run and mess with.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seems like the E-revo isn't 2 speed. Seems like my ideal toy would be an Axial Yeti or Wraith with Summit 2 speed trans and locking diffs... Or a Traxxas summit LT (scale conversion) with yeti solid axle and body.

I took the Slash out for a second session at a skate park and then a frozen slush tennis court. It was super fun once the battery died a bit allowing me to keep traction. Once this snow melts in a few days I will be looking forward to some high speed dirt runs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Yeti XL is an absolute monster in the snow and ice and can do 60 on 3S lipo, but it would be a handful to crawl with.

e: I'm not saying you want an XL you should just my .02

I'd still like an SCX10 to build up as a crawler

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 23, 2015

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

Hrmm. Could a summit in low range be used for crawling or should I just build a crawler and hit it with a 3s lipo...

A Summit can't hardcore crawl because the center of gravity is high and they independent suspension, but it still handles itself fine. The low gear really is low and the high gear hauls rear end for a truck that is so heavy. The summit not only has two speeds, but also remote locking diffs.

I really enjoyed mine.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have this hard-on for Ultra4 buggies right now, which is what the Axial Yeti seems to be going for, but the actual ultra4 buggies have low range and a good portion of their races feature low speed crawling, and the rest being high speed desert style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqktYbAzBDA

it would be super cool to have a R/C race that has a high speed course and a mandatory crawl section. And yeah I'd love a Yeti XL but I don't think many people have 1/8th size trucks out here.

Now if I could do a crawler that looks like this I'd maybe skip the high speed stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSd322vj0Y

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 24, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I.. think... Horizon might be replacing the ESC in my Trail Trekker. That would make my day.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jonathan posted:

I have this hard-on for Ultra4 buggies right now, which is what the Axial Yeti seems to be going for, but the actual ultra4 buggies have low range and a good portion of their races feature low speed crawling, and the rest being high speed desert style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqktYbAzBDA

it would be super cool to have a R/C race that has a high speed course and a mandatory crawl section. And yeah I'd love a Yeti XL but I don't think many people have 1/8th size trucks out here.

Now if I could do a crawler that looks like this I'd maybe skip the high speed stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnSd322vj0Y

Scale U4 racing is becoming a thing in r/c, but the big problem is how hard it is on the trucks. Some friends of mine in Kansas City had a track setup last year and it freaking destroyed their Wraiths each time. You have to upgrade everything in the axles/drivetrain and even that stuff needs replacing quickly. Slamming into rocks hurts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The U4 stuff looks awesome and is a great blend of speed and crawling, there are abandoned mill/quarry places I've seen that would be fabulous to run competitions in but getting approval to run there and yeah making the trucks last would be impossible.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've always wanted a large scaler but never had reason. Now I must get one. Hey krushgroove you got any old Bajas sitting around in the closets at HPI HQ? :getin:

Ha, I wish! Actually there is one I'm hoping to snag, but shipping would cost close to what the buying price would be. I have dreams of getting it for myself but the usual space/time/money constraints keep be buried in reality.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, what's the average run time on most scale crawlers? I keep looking at Axial SCX10s as something to maybe delve into later this summer, just wondering what to expect re: battery life. There's a nice walking trail nearby that goes along and over a creek, figured that might be perfect to take one on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay so this AX2 2 speed transmission. Seems like the perfect thing. It works with the Wraith, I wonder how big a job it is to make it work with a Yeti.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

T1g4h posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the average run time on most scale crawlers? I keep looking at Axial SCX10s as something to maybe delve into later this summer, just wondering what to expect re: battery life. There's a nice walking trail nearby that goes along and over a creek, figured that might be perfect to take one on.

My scx10 with a 40t motor and a 4000mah 2s lipo will run for about 2.5 hours. These batteries pack an absurd amount of power.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

T1g4h posted:

My SCX10 with 27t motor and a 5000mah 2s battery has never run out of power, and I do walks on trails like you're referring to that typically take 1-1.5 hours.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Awesome! Thanks guys, I think you just sold me on getting one sometime in the next few months then :D

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
My Yeti XL Kit should be here tomorrow. Haven't purchased any electronics for it yet. Going to take my time and build it up over spring.

Servo is going to be a ProTek RC 170T
Motor: Not sure yet but will be in the 2200Kv range
ESC Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 or Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with a BEC. Might give the Hobbywing Quicrun stuff a try also.
Radio will probably be a Spektrum DX4C with AVC
Planning on sticking to 4s lipo

I've got 5 acres to run this thing on. Going to be a blast.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

jdfording posted:

My Yeti XL Kit should be here tomorrow. Haven't purchased any electronics for it yet. Going to take my time and build it up over spring.

ESC Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 or Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with a BEC. Might give the Hobbywing Quicrun stuff a try also.

This sounds like a great setup. Enjoy!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jdfording posted:

4S lipo on that setup? Jesus. 3S on my stock RTR Yeti XL is bonkers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

4S lipo on that setup? Jesus. 3S on my stock RTR Yeti XL is bonkers.

Maybe he wants to do a lot of running in the grass.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can a low turn (high speed) sensored brushless motor be used for crawling ? This in regards to an Axial wraith i'm going to build with a 2 speed transmission. So it'll be geared low for crawling, but can I make a fast motor work with it.

I'm doing a KOH style setup.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 26, 2015

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yup, you can build a brushless setup that moves nice and slow with lots of control as long as it's a sensored motor with a high turn rating and you've got the right gearing. The only real concern there that with a sensored motor and ESC, they're going to be a lot more succeptable to getting messed up in water and mud.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Wow, horizon pulled through. They're sending me an ESC for my Trail Trekker.

I suddenly feel really good about buying 219847109719348 things from Blade, Parkzone, and Losi.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bisticles posted:

Yup, you can build a brushless setup that moves nice and slow with lots of control as long as it's a sensored motor with a high turn rating and you've got the right gearing. The only real concern there that with a sensored motor and ESC, they're going to be a lot more succeptable to getting messed up in water and mud.

With the turn rate being high, won't that limit top speed when I switch to high range ? I don't understand turns at all other than higher # = better for crawling usually

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

jonathan posted:

With the turn rate being high, won't that limit top speed when I switch to high range ? I don't understand turns at all other than higher # = better for crawling usually

Yup, you'll be trading in speed for torque. As one goes up, the other one always goes down (with the same motor, anyways).

This post by Harley on rccrawler might help. He kind of spells it all out here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html

This was written for the Wraith platform, but people use Wraiths for just about anything, so you can apply it to whatever you're looking to do in RC.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the links I'll start reading.

I need some help, I bought a Wraith RTR kit today. Tried a battery in it, it worked inside, took it outside and it was acting really odd. If I mash the throttle from a dead stop, it takes off but seems really slow to build speed. If I lightly touch the throttle it either does nothing or barely moves, like an almost dead battery. It also doesn't seem to have enough power to turn the steering wheels very well. So I swapped batteries to another pack, and it seemed to be good, for maybe 30 seconds and then did the same thing.

I am using a traxxas adapter to use my traxxas slash battery with the O D shaped connector.

any ideas ? Could the new out of the box AA batteries for the controller be hosed ?

Edit: I searched google for "Axial wraith acting weird" (lol) and the first post was this which describes the issue perfectly, however I tried swapping controller batteries but it still does the same thing after 30 seconds or so. It seems like it's a controller issue though.

Can I get my Traxxas controller to control it as a process of elimination ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So I just noticed this as a new release on Steam, and it looks pretty drat cool. I'm not huge on the whole "ONLINE E-SPORT COMMUNITY" thing personally, but the graphics look really great and I like the idea of tuning and customizing your cars. Plus, it'd be a fun way to mess about with nitro stuff again without having to deal with the associated hassle that comes with it in real life :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone know of a pc game controller that is like a rc controller?

I had one in the 90s and it was pretty good but it wasn't USB nor have I seen anything like it in years.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

I had one in the 90s and it was pretty good but it wasn't USB nor have I seen anything like it in years.

NEWB LoL if you don't use mouse and keyboard bro.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

Apparently they sell an adapter on their site that lets you use an actual RC transmitter with your PC. There's also a free to play version with 8 cars and limited tracks if you guys want to test it out first, they offer it on their homepage.

I have one of these but it's a dual stick setup meant more for heli / plane sims than cars.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Found this video which I think is where I live.

In the last video the cold busted his server. In this vid with new servo he freezes the grease inside solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nGV3yHLAGQ

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
So this arrived yesterday...

Size comparison to a 1/10th car.

Setting up for the build.

Front end:

Rear axle:

Front end attached to tub.

I haven't built an RC since the late 90's, which was a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin kit. This build was pretty painless, although there were a few tricky parts. The instruction manual has a lot of mistakes. The one on Axial's website is better but still not 100% accurate. I like working with 1/8th parts because everything is so much bigger and easier to handle. Took me about 15 hours to get to this point. I'm still deciding on paint. I might do a vinyl wrap or hydro dip. Here is how she sits till I get all the electronics ordered. Going to be a while till she runs though.

The wait to get this thing on the road is going to suck. It's sitting there taunting me now.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That is seriously cool! I never realized just how huge those things are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, they're monstrous.

I like the spare carrier. My RTR didn't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Comparison with Pro-Line 1/5 Trenchers to the stock Yeti XL tires. They are not much taller, a little wider, but quite heavier because of the molded foam, bigger wheel, and beadlock design

Quoting myself for YXL chat. It should really be marketed more like 1/6 scale. It's only a couple inches shorter than a Baja. Totally awesome truck and the kit will probably be my next RC.