Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, I think there are two ways GH could pull the rug out from under RB. 1) Better Song Selection and 2) 360/PS3 versions. Even then, I'll be damned if Activision is getting any of my money.

Thinking about it... is there ANY reason this stuff needs to be next gen? I would think that if they already built the note charts that it would be very simple to keep making new tracks as RB3 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, I think there are two ways GH could pull the rug out from under RB. 1) Better Song Selection and 2) 360/PS3 versions. Even then, I'll be damned if Activision is getting any of my money.

That is something I could totally see happening, simply because Activision churning out something cheap that can run on either system generation is totally within their bailiwick.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the RB4 DLC releases will have significant overlap with existing RB content. It won't be like past releases, where they deliberately avoided putting out redundant tracks because it's all available on the same platform. The RB catalog up to this point has covered such a huge portion of musical history, and they're not gonna ignore all that stuff that for the new games. The console generation jump changes everything. Being in a past release (DLC or disc) is no longer a reason not to release something. Like, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some on-disc tracks from RB3 just show up again on the RB4 disc. The DLC schedule will probably have many releases where 90-100% of the content was already in RB3. The good news for the DLC veterans is that they'll get that stuff for free; the bad news is that the whole thing just isn't as exciting.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 23, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Astro7x posted:

Thinking about it... is there ANY reason this stuff needs to be next gen? I would think that if they already built the note charts that it would be very simple to keep making new tracks as RB3 DLC.

I can't see how, the only thing that would really warrant next gen only status would be graphics, and I don't see that being a high priority for Rock Band.

Unless they're going to put in a lot of work for character customization and development, and find some way to show it off without it being hidden behind flowing music notation.

edit: also dlc doesn't make as much money as a whole new title + new instruments to flog.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Just imagine how awful the GH character models will look in 1080p.

(Yeah yeah they have better animation but they're so ugly.)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
God dammit Activision, you used to be cool

35 years ago.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Minidust posted:

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the RB4 DLC releases will have significant overlap with existing RB content.

All of the press releases so far have been suggesting that "legacy DLC" will be a distinct entity from new, "regular" DLC. The only question is if we get all of the legacy DLC in a big dump on day 1, or we get parallel releases for a while. I could maybe see some weeks like the end of RB3; at that point we got Blitz songs instead of new tracks every other week, and I could see mega-dumps of legacy songs overriding new content for a week. But I highly doubt they'll shut off the new-song spigot entirely, that would be silly.

I cede the point for RB3 disc songs, though. I would happily buy a few of those in the absence of an export.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

It figures that as soon as Harmonix says they're ready to gear back up, Activision announces they're ready to sink the plastic instruments ship again out of spite

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Astro7x posted:

How else are we going to get guitar straps?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

setafd posted:

It figures that as soon as Harmonix says they're ready to gear back up, Activision announces they're ready to sink the plastic instruments ship again out of spite

They'll make lovely yearly releases and then wonder why no one wants to buy plastic instrument games anymore.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mr E posted:

They'll make lovely yearly releases and then wonder why no one wants to buy plastic instrument games anymore.

We'll be lucky if it's just yearly.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I'll admit, I was bummed when I saw the specific language in the RB4 press release saying they DIDN'T intend to make yearly games. I was hoping for Rock Band 2015, ala Rocksmith, with yearly engine upgrades and small (~30) on-disc songlists. I guess title updates are easier now than they used to be, so we can hope for QoL improvements via patch?

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
This thread is quickly sending me into a spiral of depression. loving gently caress Activision forever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

pksage posted:

I'll admit, I was bummed when I saw the specific language in the RB4 press release saying they DIDN'T intend to make yearly games. I was hoping for Rock Band 2015, ala Rocksmith, with yearly engine upgrades and small (~30) on-disc songlists. I guess title updates are easier now than they used to be, so we can hope for QoL improvements via patch?

As far as I could tell this sounds like this is their intention, to upgrade the core game as a platform rather than a franchise.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As far as I could tell this sounds like this is their intention, to upgrade the core game as a platform rather than a franchise.

I think a happy medium of yearly releases -- in a hypothetical non-competitive world where Activision wasn't being a huge dick -- would be preferable to one release per platform, ever. Regular "disc" (read: digital) releases keep people engaged, because people who don't buy thousands of dollars of DLC will still cash in for, say...a $40 download title with 30 songs in it.

And I still believe in Harmonix, but not so much that I think they'll get the game "right" on their first try post-hiatus. I want the Innovate->Perfect model to come back for the current gen and give us the features that Rock Band 4 lacks.

fake edit: i am a ray of sunshine, sorry hmx reps who read this

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
I'd be cool with yearly band-specific releases that could be exported. Yearly full Rock Band games seem excessive, as I think that Harmonix is leaning more toward a general next-gen platform and Activision has already shown us what happens when the market is saturated.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

This will come to the PC. I can feel it in my bones. The bones that hope for improbable things.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I hope not. Both because no DLC carry-over and I'm not going to lug my PC everywhere to parties.
Getting Rock Band on PC is like setting down the anchor of "Yeah I play a party game alone."

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Orange Harrison posted:

I hope not. Both because no DLC carry-over and I'm not going to lug my PC everywhere to parties.
Getting Rock Band on PC is like setting down the anchor of "Yeah I play a party game alone."

Not only that but Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock was pretty poorly optimized on PC, and suffered some bad lag and framerate issues, which is bad for a rhythm game. :(

(I think it was fixable with some .ini tweaks or something iirc, but still a pain)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Harrison posted:

It would be pretty cool if it was some kind of "cross-buy/play with Xbox One" kind of setup, like Fable Heroes is apparently going to have.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You mean you don't want Oculus support?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I want Ouya support! :qq:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
We all do chief, we all do.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

pksage posted:

I think a happy medium of yearly releases -- in a hypothetical non-competitive world where Activision wasn't being a huge dick -- would be preferable to one release per platform, ever. Regular "disc" (read: digital) releases keep people engaged, because people who don't buy thousands of dollars of DLC will still cash in for, say...a $40 download title with 30 songs in it.

I'm confident sales would dictate a change in policy anyway. If the genre reawakens and they sell a lot of copies in the physical stores I'm sure they will think about a 2016 version to be sold through regular channels.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
Rock Band is the best series and I'm very excited to see what Harmonix brings to Rock Band 4. I was hoping to transition to PS4 this generation, but the DLC carry-forward is sort of a deal clincher for me. I hope I can keep using my Strat replica, but deep in my heart I know I'll buy a new replica guitar if they offer it.

edit: Guitar of Duty go home

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The T posted:

Guitar Hero 7 to feature keys, pro guitar.

Also guitar straps, VR mode, and additional band members (manager, groupie, roadie and audience member).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I went to the song suggestion page and suggested a bunch of stoner metal, and threw in madonnas material girl just so the intern who checks for valid submissions sees the IP/time stamps and has a giggle.

would legit play the poo poo out of that song on drums tho

EDIT: VVVVVV mostly High on Fire songs but yes this was also on my 'what if' list.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 25, 2015

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Laserface posted:

I went to the song suggestion page and suggested a bunch of stoner metal, and threw in madonnas material girl just so the intern who checks for valid submissions sees the IP/time stamps and has a giggle.

would legit play the poo poo out of that song on drums tho

New "Bladder of Steel" Achievement: Play Sleep's "Dopesmoker" in its entirety without pausing.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I've already done a video featuring that (using VR goggles and wireless controllers) but never uploaded it because at the time i considered it useless. Maybe it's time to re-shoot one and claim it's an exclusive RB4 Beta.

Binowru posted:

New "Bladder of Steel" Achievement: Play Sleep's "Dopesmoker" in its entirety without pausing.
This post is important for a different reason than intended: it has been alarmingly long since anyone has speculated on RB4's setlist.

*If you're throwing out keys, please give us something by Buckethead, like Soothsayer, or, for the surface-scrapers, Jordan.
*Also successfully licensing both Lennon and McCartney solo means a remote chance of one of Harrison's or Starr's solo hits. (Discounting any Ringo tracks before~1990 because his solo albums weren't successful enough to be archived and were deleted/overwritten, plus Harrison's masters from "All Things Must Pass" which were deleted by George personally after making his own mixdowns for the 2001 CD remastering, right before he, you know, died.)
*Primus was the first major band to let HMX use a master track all the way back in 2007 (John the Fisherman), and after years of fan nagging they netted another master take with "Jerry Was a Racecar Driver" in 2010. Legal signs point to more Primus!

~Harmonix Trivia~ The master track for "John the Fisherman" was only allowed into Guitar Hero 2 because frontman Les Claypool was so arrogant that he believed nobody else could ever accurately emulate Primus' sound, and when asked for permission for a cover of "John the Fisherman" to be made, simply told the publisher to let Harmonix/Wavegroup use the original master instead.

Edit: Also Claypool limits his kids to 30 minutes of videogames a day, and that was how he found out Guitar Hero was hot poo poo in 2006-7. LOS BASTARDOS.

Needless to say, reading that interview left me convinced that Primus would never again touch a music game, but since they turned up on the RB3 disc, I hold a glimmer of hope that something more might come up either in or after RB4.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 25, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wanna read that interview. Link?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There aren't even masters for Don't Come Easy? That's the only Ringo solo track I know.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
But the Ringo tracks before 1990 WERE the good tracks!

I'd kill to have Photograph in this game.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Our most recent Rock Band "disc" release was Blitz, and I think Blitz shows us a likely model -- lots of 2010s tracks, but probably with more classic rock than Blitz had to really sell some copies. A few pages back I mentioned some likely 2010s songs:

Bastille - "Pompeii"
Big Data - "Dangerous"
Capital Cities - "Safe and Sound" (might be a harder sell without keys)
Milky Chance - "Stolen Dance"
The Neighborhood - "Sweater Weather"

Otherwise...
  • Our C3 download stats have shown us that classic Guns N' Roses is insanely popular, which isn't surprising, so if they can finally land the masters for Appetite/UYI 1/UYI 2 then at least one of those will be on-disc. That's a big "if", though.
  • GHWT had "Beat It", maybe we'll see some MJ?
  • I could see a Muse song, probably "Knights of Cydonia"/"Supermassive Black Hole"/"Starlight". Do not talk to me about The Resistance.
  • I wonder how the Metallica and Eagles licensing situations are doing.
  • On-disc Aerosmith seems likely, since the pack we got near the end of RB3 was missing plenty of big hits. "Love in an Elevator", "Rag Doll", "Jaded", "Janie's Got a Gun", etc.
  • I don't personally like U2, but if they can snag some, that would be a big selling point.
  • "SEPARATE WAYS (WORLDS APART)"????
  • Also Harmonix please give me on-disc Cake, Harmonix please, pls understand

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

pksage posted:

Our most recent Rock Band "disc" release was Blitz, and I think Blitz shows us a likely model -- lots of 2010s tracks, but probably with more classic rock than Blitz had to really sell some copies. A few pages back I mentioned some likely 2010s songs:

Bastille - "Pompeii"
Big Data - "Dangerous"
Capital Cities - "Safe and Sound" (might be a harder sell without keys)
Milky Chance - "Stolen Dance"
The Neighborhood - "Sweater Weather"

Otherwise...
  • Our C3 download stats have shown us that classic Guns N' Roses is insanely popular, which isn't surprising, so if they can finally land the masters for Appetite/UYI 1/UYI 2 then at least one of those will be on-disc. That's a big "if", though.
  • I could see a Muse song, probably "Knights of Cydonia"/"Supermassive Black Hole"/"Starlight". Do not talk to me about The Resistance.
  • On-disc Aerosmith seems likely, since the pack we got near the end of RB3 was missing plenty of big hits. "Love in an Elevator", "Rag Doll", "Jaded", "Janie's Got a Gun", etc.
  • I don't personally like U2, but if they can snag some, that would be a big selling point.

I really, really doubt any long standing holdouts are going to change their minds after a 5 year hiatus. Plus Activision has way more money to throw around for stuff like that. Sometimes it seems Harmonix tries to get stuff done on good will and "do it for the music!" alone.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orgophlax posted:

I really, really doubt any long standing holdouts are going to change their minds after a 5 year hiatus. Plus Activision has way more money to throw around for stuff like that. Sometimes it seems Harmonix tries to get stuff done on good will and "do it for the music!" alone.

But exactly BECAUSE of the hiatus, I could see Harmonix blowing some cash on exactly one or two new classic rock artists to really entice people. And hey, optimism, maybe some masters were uncovered or whatever in the last few years. :unsmith:

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
If we take out from our stats those bands that won't probably make it anyway (U2, Pink Floyd, GnR, Led Zeppelin...), 3 items stand out for me:
- ABBA's Mamma Mia. Yep.
- The Cranberries' Zombie. Actually, this one is an awesome fit for the keyless Rock Band era.
- Journey's Separate Ways (Worlds Apart).

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

pksage posted:

Otherwise...
For reasons that this interview from a couple of years ago talks about, I don't think we'll ever see Muse or G'N'R in Rock Band (as farottone has basically already said).

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I know I'll be on my own here, but some of the earlier batshit mental Biffy Clyro songs would be nice. I hope to god they manage to figure a way to let me access my previously bought poo poo from 360 to PS4. It might happen (I know it won't), Diablo 3 let you transfer saves across platforms and generations so it is technically possible.

It's annoying because I've spent a fair bit on DLC on the 360, but I really don't want an Xbox One. First world problems right here, woe is me.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

farottone posted:

- The Cranberries' Zombie. Actually, this one is an awesome fit for the keyless Rock Band era.

This was just released for Rocksmith last week, so they are at least open to licensing the song out. It's been in my head, in my head, ever since, ever since, ever since, since, since, since, oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fistful of Silence posted:

For reasons that this interview from a couple of years ago talks about, I don't think we'll ever see Muse or G'N'R in Rock Band (as farottone has basically already said).

I remember a forum post from around when Rock Band DLC ended, by either Drake or Chris, that basically said Muse just didn't bother answering them when they requested more songs.

For G'N'R, well, blame Guitar Hero. Slash was put on their box, and he played Welcome to the Jungle in the game, and naturally when Axl found out he threw a shitfit because that implied Slash was still a member of G'N'R. I believe that happened after we'd already gotten the one song on disc for RB2 and the new album as DLC, and it pretty much killed any potential new songs from them, which really sucked cause most of the guys who gave us full albums also gave use really good singles and packs later on. (excluding Pixies, for whatever reason)