Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, how is the DLC? I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on steam yet. I didn't even know about it til I noticed the ad for it on the main menu.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/316910/ it's right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, how is the DLC? I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on steam yet. I didn't even know about it til I noticed the ad for it on the main menu.

Ashes? It's been out for a while. The recent Chronomancy and wyrmic changes are just a normal free patch that everyone gets.

Ashes adds two cool classes and a weird race, plus DEMON lore, and some random statues/artifacts/etc things.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pretty nice, 2 new classes, buncha new enemies and artifacts, and one new race with a stupid name (DOOOOM ELVES)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Weird, I guess I'm just blind then lol

Agean90 posted:

Pretty nice, 2 new classes, buncha new enemies and artifacts, and one new race with a stupid name (DOOOOM ELVES)

lmao Seriously, doom elves?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FirstAidKite posted:

DOOMbringer!
Demonologist!
DOOMelves

Doombringers make everything explode all the time. Demonologists are a weird tanky 1h+shield hybrid that plays alien(facehugger impregnation style) pokemon to get new abilities.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait for DarkGod to release the new dlc, "Tides of Tyranny" featuring the new race, Nagas, and their classes "water wizard" and "meanypants"

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

They're Shalore who were kidnapped by demons and tortured into becoming bizarro versions of themselves. The unlock is pretty stupid (clear the rear end in a top hat worldmap event crypt and kill the demon instead of saving Melinda, bug the monument cultists into summoning Sissycash if they exist in your game and then kill her, kill both Slasul and Ulmkfuckthisguy'sname and then Walrog when he shows up, all on the same character) and the race isn't that great.

Doombringers are metal explosion berserkers and extremely powerful as well as fun to play. Demonologists play demon Pokemon and can get very good defenses but have a slow start and need some luck getting the right kind of demons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would want nagas to be added, to be honest

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i would want nagas to be added, to be honest

Well yeah but honestly is there a race in the game that you wouldn't want to play as given the opportunity?

Glidergun posted:

They're Shalore who were kidnapped by demons and tortured into becoming bizarro versions of themselves. The unlock is pretty stupid (clear the rear end in a top hat worldmap event crypt and kill the demon instead of saving Melinda, bug the monument cultists into summoning Sissycash if they exist in your game and then kill her, kill both Slasul and Ulmkfuckthisguy'sname and then Walrog when he shows up, all on the same character) and the race isn't that great.

Yeah I'm not doing that

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

It seems to me that all the signs point towards an orc themed DLC that will hopefully expand on The East.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Glidergun posted:

Doombringers are metal explosion berserkers and extremely powerful as well as fun to play. Demonologists play demon Pokemon and can get very good defenses but have a slow start and need some luck getting the right kind of demons.

You're pretty much guaranteed to run into siss monoliths fairly fast if you go to ID postgame btw. I think I had four levels with them on my way to 100. I mean if that's the only thing you're missing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Well yeah but honestly is there a race in the game that you wouldn't want to play as given the opportunity?
How about the lich ooze?

No wait no I would totally play that nevermind.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

How about the lich ooze?

No wait no I would totally play that nevermind.

I think you mean the skeletal mold. And that would be the best race ever.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nurge posted:

You're pretty much guaranteed to run into siss monoliths fairly fast if you go to ID postgame btw. I think I had four levels with them on my way to 100. I mean if that's the only thing you're missing.

My past two runs I hadn't seen any cultists, so I saved Melinda, then found cultists in Reknor.

Guess I'll have to ship that TW into the ID to unlock those lovely elves.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Steampunk orcs are anything but a secret. Past that there's the tentative list of eventual hooks like the Naloren, the pirate trolls, the undead continent.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What the heck am I supposed to do in this Melinda quest? I took her to the beach, she exploded in blight but was alright and was like "what happened, I blighted, the taint got me" and now I guess I'm on a quest to figure out what happened to her. Where do I go to figure that out?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What the heck am I supposed to do in this Melinda quest? I took her to the beach, she exploded in blight but was alright and was like "what happened, I blighted, the taint got me" and now I guess I'm on a quest to figure out what happened to her. Where do I go to figure that out?

Have you unlocked the Sher'Tul fortress? If so, go talk to the butler there.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Anyone know or have any good paradox mage builds? Or good races? The guides in the wiki don't get too much into detail unfortunately, plus they're dated. My latest character bit it to pure simple bullshit in alt maze boss so now I want to give these guys a whirl.

EDIT: Actually, a rundown of what the hell paradox is and everything would be peachy keen. I've been playing nothing but melee classes with one go of Alchemist. So this is essentially my first mage. I'm trying the nuker build in the guide.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 25, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

God drat the mouse dream is annoying as hell

The other dream is even worse, in my opinion. I always just skip that dungeon if I get it.

FirstAidKite posted:

They're like shalore except instead of good abilities they have doom abilities.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Steampunk orcs are anything but a secret. Past that there's the tentative list of eventual hooks like the Naloren, the pirate trolls, the undead continent.

We need a Shertul race and Godlsayer class :madmax:

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 25, 2015

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Anyone know or have any good paradox mage builds? Or good races? The guides in the wiki don't get too much into detail unfortunately, plus they're dated. My latest character bit it to pure simple bullshit in alt maze boss so now I want to give these guys a whirl.

EDIT: Actually, a rundown of what the hell paradox is and everything would be peachy keen. I've been playing nothing but melee classes with one go of Alchemist. So this is essentially my first mage. I'm trying the nuker build in the guide.

I don't know about builds, but apparently PMs have a bunch of defensive talents you can stack together that each shave a bit of damage of every time you take a hit. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Paradox does two things. First, the higher your paradox is the more powerful your spells are. Second, the higher your paradox is, the more likely it is that when you try to cast a spell you gently caress up and generate a random effect (an "anomaly") instead. Casting a spell makes your paradox go up, and there's no hard limit to how high you can push it but once you get past 600 paradox you start getting major bad poo poo happen when you gently caress up.

Since you don't actually have a resource cap, sustains and willpower and poo poo function by pushing your chance of getting anomalies around as though you had higher or lower paradox. So, for example, if your have a 50 Paradox sustain on and 275 Paradox, your spells are as powerful as they normally are when you have 275 Paradox but you get anomalies as though you had 325 paradox.

EDIT: Shalore is pretty excellent for PMs. Shalore is good for everything, of course, but PMs have a bunch of powerful buffs they can extend, and Haste and Grace of the Eternals stack to make you extra fast.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 25, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Metal Meltdown posted:

It seems to me that all the signs point towards an orc themed DLC that will hopefully expand on The East.

I think the word you're looking for is "condense," the Far East is too drat big as it is. :v:

(It's actually going to be its own campaign where you play as an Orc some time after(?) the events of ToME.)

Blackray Jack posted:

I did a huge write-up of the new Paradox Mage a few pages back, check my post history. The stuff on the wiki is for a version of the class that doesn't exist any more.

Paradox is a resource that increases as you use it. If it goes over 300 you have an increasing chance for a minor anomaly, where something weird happens and you lose your spell, and if it goes over 600 you can get major anomalies, where you lose your spell and the something weird tries to kill you.

You have two levels of Paradox, the base level and the modified level; the base level (in parantheses, on the right) determines how strong your spells are and what Paradox level your return to when you rest -- it's set to 300 by default, and you should probably leave it there -- and the modified Paradox determines the chance of your spells going haywire. Higher willpower decreases your modified Paradox, as do certain pieces of equipment, and sustained spells increase it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 25, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Thanks for the help guys. What infusions should I be shooting for? And should I invest in any inscription points?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So, what's the current easiest race/class combo to actually beat the game with? I just want to finish the drat game once and don't want to resort to the easier settings to do so.

Furthest I've ever made was my last PM run. I made it all the way to the spider nest, but got disco ball'd to death.

Solipsist, Archmage, Paradox Mage, Doombringer, Corrupter and Oozymancer seem the current hotness.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 25, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
archmage is broken as gently caress. you can start dreadfel at level 6

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

jsoh posted:

archmage is broken as gently caress. you can start dreadfel at level 6

Care to elaborate? General build/race/strategy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Thanks for the help guys. What infusions should I be shooting for?

It depends where you are in the game. Early on you want a regeneration or healing infusion, a physical wild, and an escape -- teleport is good, movement speed can be too. Most spellcasting classes want a shield rune as their fourth infusion but PM's get Time Shield which is like a shield rune but better, so spent your level 10 cat point on that instead. (If you find the Rune of Reflection it might be worth making room for it after all though.)

Later in the game heroism infusions are a stronger alternative to shield runes, since they give more buffer HP and last longer on top of also granting you stats. You may also want to think about maxing out your stun resist (easy for a Paradox Mage, they get 57% stun resist from the second skill in the Matter tree) and then switching the physical wild infusion for a mental one. Also movement infusions go from "can be good" to "insanely good" at higher levels; the multiplier gets up into the 800-1100% range, which means that with Time Stop and Dimensional Step you can just waltz to the level exit as long as you can do it in ~30 steps. (But remember not to use any skills after activating the movement speed infusion because that'll break the effect.)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Doomelves are basically RNG quest the game to unlock them.

You need to beat 3 gods to unlock them. And they aren't guaranteed to appear in a playthrough.

I said gently caress it with RNG quest and just edited the file to unlock them. Even unlocking Mindslayers was easier compared to the BS of fighting those bosses.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

IAmTheRad posted:

Doomelves are basically RNG quest the game to unlock them.

You need to beat 3 gods to unlock them. And they aren't guaranteed to appear in a playthrough.

I said gently caress it with RNG quest and just edited the file to unlock them. Even unlocking Mindslayers was easier compared to the BS of fighting those bosses.

two of them are guaranteed actually and you can provoke the other to appear by running the infinite dungeon

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

When just starting to play this game is it worth it to try a bunch of different classes or play 1 for a few games repeatedly to try and get some game sense before experimenting with other races/classes? I feel like I should try to make progression on the areas before I worry about learning all the classes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Do what you like. There are a couple of major factors that differentiate classes. Melee and ranged play very differently, especially spellcasters with AoE and the ability to hit out to the edge of vision range. Some classes have been recently updated and have abilities that are much more clearly designed to work together while some of the older ones just have a bunch of skills thrown together that may or may not be individually strong. The classes that are unlocked at the start tend to be very simple, with fewer skills and less complex mechanics, without necessarily being weaker. If any of those things sound like something you want more of or want to avoid, ask and someone here can probably suggest what to play next.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Step 1 - Play whatever to unlock Cursed
Step 2 - Play Cursed
Step 3 - :black101:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Random Hajile posted:

Step 1 - Play whatever to unlock Cursed
Step 2 - Play Cursed
Step 3 - :black101:

Cursed was my first win.

I just started playing Doombringer yesterday and it feels a lot like Cursed, actually. :black101:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Cursed suck, archmages 4eva

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, what's the current easiest race/class combo to actually beat the game with? I just want to finish the drat game once and don't want to resort to the easier settings to do so.

Furthest I've ever made was my last PM run. I made it all the way to the spider nest, but got disco ball'd to death.

Solipsist, Archmage, Paradox Mage, Doombringer, Corrupter and Oozymancer seem the current hotness.

Archmages are powerful but also kind of squishy, you need to know what you are doing and how to build them so I wouldn't call them easy.

My win so far was with a shalore doombringer, for the most part you just bump into things till they explode.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
First win was with a thalore skirmisher. Even won without hitting level 50.

Second win was with a doomelf doombringer. It was like playing the cover of a heavy metal album.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Doombringer was my first win and is a solid class to recommend to start with because holy Christ are they strong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Indecisive posted:

Cursed suck, archmages 4eva

I've never even gotten an Archmage to the East. :(

They're powerful but rely entirely on micromanaging their shields and teleports for survival, and I always eventually get lazy and sloppy and something hits me with my shields down and welp.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

They're powerful but rely entirely on micromanaging their shields and teleports for survival, and I always eventually get lazy and sloppy and something hits me with my shields down and welp.
Bonus points for one-shotting yourself through a full damage shield because you got pulled into your own critical fireball before you had the chance to make yourself mostly immune to your own damage.

Boy, was my face red. And on fire.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Metal Meltdown posted:

Doombringer was my first win and is a solid class to recommend to start with because holy Christ are they strong.

I'm sad to admit that it was my first win and I had to do it on Easy Non-Roguelike and I used all my lives :( (though to be fair, two of those were hubris thinking I could delve into the room of death in the Vor Armoury BOY WAS I WRONG)

And I've been playing for long enough that my user ID is in the low 3-digits: http://te4.org/user/354/ :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

That's why I usually play Skeleton mage, they're beefy enough to survive a random hit or 2, and get a powerful rear end damage shield that'll soak anything you will run into on normal. I do play on Adventurer though specifically so I can be lazy and die randomly a few times. Thing is most enemies pre-dreadfell don't even have ranged attacks you'll be hard pressed to die early on with a mage when you can mostly one-shot dudes from 10 tiles away. Just gotta learn to recognize which enemies you need to pay attention for (mostly enemy skeletons, and bosses obv).

• Locked thread