Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I know what asinine point you think you're making but the whole point of those comparisons was fascism bad and Bush is bad. And the people that did that are idiots but Republicans are way worse about Obama and it's much more acceptable in the mainstream right.

Yes, fascism is seen as bad and it didn't take a Nazi Cold War to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

computer parts posted:

Yes, fascism is seen as bad and it didn't take a Nazi Cold War to make that happen.

I already said that same thing. Did you mean to say Democrats instead of Republicans or Obama instead of Bush? Because the way it's phrased comes off as a weird dig on Democrats.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, meanwhile, lambasted the "unevenness" of Obama's swap of five Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl.

"I wouldn't have done this trade for a Medal of Honor winner," he told CNN. "No military member should expect their country to turn over five Taliban commanders to get their release. Nobody should expect that. It's not the nature of his service that drives my thinking it's just the illogical nature of the swap".

The ones that get left behind get... left behind I guess?

Amazing to see servicemembers fellating over this quote on FB. I like how GOP and the minions are now officially in favor of leaving people behind.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

The Queen of the Hill House Budget battle is on and we're in the fifth round. So far:

Ellison Amendment 1 (Progressive Caucus) fails 96-330
Butterfield Amendment 2 (Black Caucus) fails 120-306
Stutzman Amendment 3 (Republican Study) fails 132-294
Van Hollen Amendment 4 (Democratic) fails 160-264

The House is currently voting on Price Amendment 5 after which it will vote on Price Amendment 6, which is the same as 5, but with extra funding of the Overseas Contingency Fund with no offset. Deficit hawks want 5 to win, defense hawks want 6 to win. As a reminder, whichever of these gets the most votes will be the budget.

Price 1 fails 105-313.

Now we're on to Price 2, the last vote, in which the GOP appropriates $2b in war funding with no offset. This will need 161 Republicans to vote for it or the House will have adopted Obama's budget.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boon posted:

The least you could do is use some punctuation, but this is some real Ben Carson logic.

75% of enlisted come from families with a median household income of less than $65,000. By all means, explain to me how they're so well off that they just want to go out and kill people for fun. Turns out that if someone plans accordingly, there is a huge economic advantage to joining the military as well as the potential to develop very useful skill sets that you just don't get by graduating from college and then immediately working as a lowly peon in some accounting department.

So most enlisted people come from households that make more than the median of all US household incomes, what exactly is your point here?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Radbot posted:

Phonebank for Obama Hillary!

Hahahahaha! Hoooo boy, that's some funny poo poo. Yeah, I phonebanked for Obama in 2008, was an Obamatar, etc. Man, Hillary is my progressive fuckin hero! She's going to make all kinds of progress, just like Obama did, while the GOP and the Kochs just own the poo poo out of the nation from the city level all the way up through the House and Senate. I'm sure they'll change their minds about being obstructionists once it's a woman and not a black man in the Oval!

drat dude, that is some :ironicat: poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I already said that same thing. Did you mean to say Democrats instead of Republicans or Obama instead of Bush? Because the way it's phrased comes off as a weird dig on Democrats.

I'm saying if fascism wasn't seen as bad already you would have had supporters of Bush giving him favorable comparisons to Hitler.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Price 1 fails 105-313.

Now we're on to Price 2, the last vote, in which the GOP appropriates $2b in war funding with no offset. This will need 161 Republicans to vote for it or the House will have adopted Obama's budget.
They're definitely going to adopt the new measure which gives shittons of money to the military and I'm not even going to hope otherwise.

it'd be hilarious if their poo poo is so hosed up that they do adopt Obama's budget though

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

So most enlisted people come from households that make more than the median of all US household incomes, what exactly is your point here?

That the median US household income isn't very high at all, and that individuals who enlist, get out, and go back to school are advantaged economically. Also, don't be too quick to congratulate yourself, ~48% come from households below the median income. Let's not pretend that the middle class is just swimming in opportunity.

I'm trying to push my sister towards the military as we speak. She's about to graduate as a pharmacist who will have close to $150,000 in student loans. Guess what she could do in the medical corps for 3 years? Turns out it's not kill people for funsies.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 25, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

Hahahahaha! Hoooo boy, that's some funny poo poo. Yeah, I phonebanked for Obama in 2008, was an Obamatar, etc. Man, Hillary is my progressive fuckin hero! She's going to make all kinds of progress, just like Obama did, while the GOP and the Kochs just own the poo poo out of the nation from the city level all the way up through the House and Senate. I'm sure they'll change their minds about being obstructionists once it's a woman and not a black man in the Oval!

drat dude, that is some :ironicat: poo poo.

So you admit you're just Arzying wildly in the heat of your discontent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House passes the Price 2 budget 219-208. On to the Senate!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
A lot of folks go into the military because its basically the remaining welfare state make-work program that the country has, I don't fault people for that.

I do get sad when enlisted think the mission of the US military is anything more than accidentally good, in the modern era. But indoctrination is a hell of a thing. Either way, no major party seriously cares about the soldiers, they care about the Military as a concept and defense contractors.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crowsbeak posted:

A uncle Rohm.

Niiiiiice.:golfclap:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
To answer your question, QV, pushback against the current direction America is heading would require a massive reinvigoration of public participation in politics beyond grudingly voting every few years. This is not forthcoming because now more than ever people are convinced that their views do not matter in the grand scheme of politics. And their views do not matter in the grand scheme because they don't participate beyond grudgingly voting every few years. And so on.

Welcome to modernity, I guess. Would you like Xanax or Zoloft as your entree this evening?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Of course. Military spending can only go up up up.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

So I won 100$? So what's the chance Obama actually signs the thing?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

So I won 100$? So what's the chance Obama actually signs the thing?

0%, but there also would have been a 0% chance of Romney signing it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Of course. Military spending can only go up up up.

Well, war/military conflict is the United States' chief export now. When I think of military spending in those terms, it makes sense.

Nevermind the destructive effect it has on the other parts of U.S. society and the rest of the world, it's our country's main economic driver now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What're the chances the senate passes it? Only needs 51 because reconciliation, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Developments in Begoniaghazi and The POLITICO is on it!!!

quote:

–PLAYBOOK FINDS OUT – A former West Wing staffer tells us: “She was something of a one-trick pony who worked very slowly in a high-volume environment. And she lacked management skills, so lots of drama. The Residence is fraught. Sam Kass’ departure helped calm the waters, and so will the florist’s departure.”

But wait, is that the end of the story? No, no it is not. For you see, that anonymous staffer was given the wrong talking points before they commented to the press.

quote:

In this town, matters of taste — much like positions on marriage equality — can “evolve” over time. Just ask Dowling, who left because her “fussy style” was not in line with the first lady’s emerging modern and clean aesthetics, several sources said.

Laura’s work “is just different. I’m not sure if it was right for the White House,” said one top floral designer in the area who has done freelance florist work for splashy big events at 1600 Penn. This designer, like many we talked to, spoke on the condition of anonymity because “the floral community is very small, and nobody wants to put down anybody’s work.”

Which was it, Michelle? Floralism, or an act of arranging flowers? What difference at this point does it make?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

paranoid randroid posted:

To answer your question, QV, pushback against the current direction America is heading would require a massive reinvigoration of public participation in politics beyond grudingly voting every few years. This is not forthcoming because now more than ever people are convinced that their views do not matter in the grand scheme of politics. And their views do not matter in the grand scheme because they don't participate beyond grudgingly voting every few years. And so on.

Welcome to modernity, I guess. Would you like Xanax or Zoloft as your entree this evening?

I'm total agreement with you. So the upshot of what I've learned today is that a Democratic presidential nominee starts with a 78-electoral-vote head start just for having that (D) behind their name. Meanwhile, the GOP owns 38 governorships, the House, and the Senate, and what, something like 70% of state legislatures? So, it's relatively easy for the Democrats to keep winning the presidency, but the GOP's full court press on everything below it GUARANTEES gridlock and obstructionism, which I would say contributes very nicely to your statement about how demoralized voters are, and how little they believe anything they can do will change anything.

It's almost as if the GOP is comfortable just as they are, with a completely stalled Federal government, because their big donors don't need anything to change to keep raking in cash; sure, they'd LOVE to win, and rake in more, but the only people who are really hurt by gridlock are Democrats and the 99%, so who gives a poo poo? It's only almost the entire population of the country!

I'm not Arzying; I am grimly amused, not panicked. And I'm already medicated, but they'd better up the dosage, right? :lsd:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

What're the chances the senate passes it? Only needs 51 because reconciliation, right?

Budget reconciliation is a separate thing, but yes it's only a 50 vote threshold in the Senate to pass their version. Then they'll both appoint conferees and zzzzzzzzzzz.

None of this really matters because the budget is a non-binding framework document used to form the basis of the appropriations bills, which is where the real battles will be fought. If you want to bore yourself to tears, you can turn on C-SPAN2 for the next six or so hours and watch Senators propose amendments to establish deficit-neutral committees to work on some-issue-or-other, which will fail to be adopted.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Might cruz make a fuss of this in the senate to gain some attention? Seems like it would be a good time to get some press.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Truly two American icons

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I know Fiddy pulls for the GOP, but man he does not look happy about that situation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

And it was someone who got "just return to your unit and we'll forget this entire thing happened" at every step in his command up to Eisenhower and his response was to say he'd never go back and he'd rather be shot.

Reading up on this that's not true: until the death sentence was actually given at his court-martial he assumed he'd get a jail sentence and would rather take the jail sentence than go back to the front line. He didn't get a clemency offer after the death sentence.

He did, however, confess in writing and refused to destroy the confession repeatedly and refused repeatedly to return to his unit rather than face a court-martial.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Boon posted:

The least you could do is use some punctuation, but this is some real Ben Carson logic.

75% of enlisted come from families with a median household income of less than $65,000. By all means, explain to me how they're so well off that they just want to go out and kill people for fun. Turns out that if someone plans accordingly, there is a huge economic advantage to joining the military as well as the potential to develop very useful skill sets that you just don't get by graduating from college and then immediately working as a lowly peon in some accounting department.

Generally speaking though, it's disenfranchised people that join and feel like they could do something better, but they just don't know what. Then a recruiter comes along and says (lies) they can do intel, comms, network security, or some other great job. In reality they end up chipping paint and tending lines. In the process however, they build some leadership, communication, team management, and organizational skills whether they know it or not. They get out because the military enlisted life sucks and go back to school using their GI Bill and are much better off than they were and likely ahead of their peers.

Alternatively, they get married/buy a house/have a kid/really don't have a better option and end up staying in the military because of the steady paycheck.

TL:DR, you really are an idiot.

so you basically agreed with my premise that at best they are passively assisting a lovely system because of economic pressures

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
USPol March presents the 8th Annual Debt Limit Fight: I wonder, would the world as a whole have been better if the Nazis survived

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A few excerpts:

quote:

For the Smiths [school teachers in Wisconsin], the effects were instant. With more than $6,000 less in an already-lean annual family budget, Ms. Smith, a Spanish teacher who had worked part time to spend mornings with her children, had no choice but to move to full-time hours. “We just weren’t going to be able to make it,” she said.

quote:

But Mr. Berg, 54, and Mr. Nelson, 50, [a gay couple in Wisconsin] now say they plan to sell their home. They want to move to Duluth even though the cost of housing is higher and, they say, they had imagined staying in their Wisconsin house forever. They say same-sex marriage, which Minnesota began permitting in August, matters more. “We would rather live in a state that appreciates us for who we are,” Mr. Berg said.

quote:

Diana Gradine, a case manager at a nonprofit center for homeless people with substance abuse problems in Duluth, was among those helping the uninsured get coverage under Minnesota’s new program. Not long ago, though, Ms. Gradine, who lives in a second-floor apartment in Superior, got a letter about her own insurance. Wisconsin was removing her from its Medicaid program.

On the other side:

quote:

In 2013, Minnesota raised the income tax on individuals making more than $150,000 a year, a move, he said, that could affect his ability to recruit executives. They passed a tax on telecommunications services and equipment. They decided to tax businesses that provide warehouses for business materials, a tax set to go into effect this spring, whose cost, Mr. Fulton said, would be passed on to him by his suppliers.

It's "Well, Wisconsin's policies are hurting people and forcing people to move and reducing the quality of life for everyone" vs "You know maybe sorta kinda possibly I'll make slightly less money maybe at some point in the future?"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

so you basically agreed with my premise that at best they are passively assisting a lovely system because of economic pressures

I think you've misplaced your disdain. I don't think the military deserves to be glorified, nor do I think it deserves to be denigrated. Yes, I agree that your best case is the common one.

You've also passively supported the same lovely system I would imagine...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If Mike Pence signs a bill that allows businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation (which he is expected to do) Gen Con is going to pick up its dice, and figurines, and cards and leave Indiana. It's one of the biggest annual tourist events for Indianapolis.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Boon posted:

I think you've misplaced your disdain. I don't think the military deserves to be glorified, nor do I think it deserves to be denigrated. Yes, I agree that your best case is the common one.

You've also passively supported the same lovely system I would imagine...

i completely understand why someone would join for GI bill money, however understanding and sympathizing doesn't mean im supporting them as a member of the military or think their job is inherently great or good for the country. id love for everyone to have that opportunity for guaranteed work to provide themselves an education, but without the bullshit jingoism and american imperialism that goes with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

paranoid randroid posted:

I know Fiddy pulls for the GOP, but man he does not look happy about that situation.

Get Rich or Die Trying

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

joeburz posted:

i completely understand why someone would join for GI bill money, however understanding and sympathizing doesn't mean im supporting them as a member of the military or think their job is inherently great or good for the country. id love for everyone to have that opportunity for guaranteed work to provide themselves an education, but without the bullshit jingoism and american imperialism that goes with it.

It's possible to make a distinction between the members of the military (who serve in it) and the policy-makers who control it (and generally don't serve in it). It's the second group that pushes the bullshit jingoism and American imperialism.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Really starting to think I might need to create a Ted Cruz version of this. Any thoughts on a title? Ted Cruz Says Horrible Things just doesn't quite have the same ring to it as it did with Santorum.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Get Rich or Die Trying

He looks like he's trying to figure out if he actually survived that shooting.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

If Mike Pence signs a bill that allows businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation (which he is expected to do) Gen Con is going to pick up its dice, and figurines, and cards and leave Indiana. It's one of the biggest annual tourist events for Indianapolis.

To the tune of 50$ Million in economic impact. Indy is a good spot, hopefully Pence backs down.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "The line of 'Make America great again,' the phrase, that was mine, I came up with it about a year ago, and I kept using it, and everybody's now using it, they are all loving it. I don’t know I guess I should copyright it, maybe I have copyrighted it." ~ Donald Trump, on his coining of Ronald Reagan's campaign slogan.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Tobermory posted:

It's possible to make a distinction between the members of the military (who serve in it) and the policy-makers who control it (and generally don't serve in it). It's the second group that pushes the bullshit jingoism and American imperialism.

and im sure there is a good cop or two in the Ferguson PD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
It's sad that we basically have to make the choice at this point of "do I go kill brown people for questionable reasons" or "do I get stuck doing poo poo jobs for less than a living wage in the middle of nowhere" because we've basically oriented our economy around getting a few folks rich and imperial power.

• Locked thread