Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I may have had two ipv6 questions. There was a lot of stuff I expected to see more if but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So I've been working in help desk for about 6 months, and have gotten the itch to expand my knowledge and move up and out. I figure my next step is a junior sys admit, but I'm not sure what cert I should aim for next. The CCNA or an MSCE for Windows server? I have little to no experience with what Windows server provides, and at my current job I won't really be getting any hands on experience unless I make my own lab (which I plan on doing) but I'm not sure if I need extensive network knowledge that a CCNA would provide first?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's really dependent on what career path you want. Networking or system admin? Sure a CCNA will help you out some if you're managing servers but probably not to the degree the cert provides. A bit overkill

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

magicalmako posted:

Is it ok to take the 801 and 802 A+ exams a day apart?

I took them both the same morning when I took them. Depends on whether or not you're comfortable with the material.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Just got my Security+, thanks for all the advice in the thread. Probably going to shoot for my CCNA next, will undoubtedly be lurking this thread a lot more before that

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

The Red Hat certs are in a terrible spot right now. The exams are updated for RHEL 7 but none of the popular books (maybe none at all?) have been updated to match. Jang's isn't due out til this fall. RHEL 7 is a pretty big departure from 6 in a number of ways, such as systemd vs SysV init and firewalld vs iptables, so if you aren't using it frequently at work it could suck trying to squeak by on outdated materials.
*if you want to self study

The official training stuff has been updated for 6 months or more, but official training is expensive.

Reading the Fedora security guide is a great way to catch up on firewalld, and systemd has been stable for a long time.

The "big" changes have a lot to do with retargeting the certs towards real-world stuff, which basically means no using GUI tools.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

Docjowles posted:

The Red Hat certs are in a terrible spot right now. The exams are updated for RHEL 7 but none of the popular books (maybe none at all?) have been updated to match. Jang's isn't due out til this fall. RHEL 7 is a pretty big departure from 6 in a number of ways, such as systemd vs SysV init and firewalld vs iptables, so if you aren't using it frequently at work it could suck trying to squeak by on outdated materials.

evol262 posted:

*if you want to self study

The official training stuff has been updated for 6 months or more, but official training is expensive.

Reading the Fedora security guide is a great way to catch up on firewalld, and systemd has been stable for a long time.

The "big" changes have a lot to do with retargeting the certs towards real-world stuff, which basically means no using GUI tools.

Thanks for the info guys, I am planning on self studying. I was able to get work to pay for the VCP stuff but we don't or have clients that use linux so i'm on my own. I am new to linux (other than playing around with ubuntu) and was hoping there was something enterprise focused that I use to get familiar. I can just wait until septemberish when the books start releasing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

likw1d posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I am planning on self studying. I was able to get work to pay for the VCP stuff but we don't or have clients that use linux so i'm on my own. I am new to linux (other than playing around with ubuntu) and was hoping there was something enterprise focused that I use to get familiar. I can just wait until septemberish when the books start releasing.

The book will teach the cert. The cert is an objective-based exam with not a lot of time, so it's all about teaching you what you need to know to accomplish it all in a few hours.

But if you just want to read about it, we have extremely complete documentation that you should look at. Especially the System Administrator's Guide, Networking Guide, and Security guide. These will actually teach you everything you need to know to pass the exam, and a lot more, but they're very tightly written (for docs), don't get bogged down in too much detail, and...

One of our big advantages over Canonical is having a real, dedicated documentation team that does an absolute ton of work. Use it. All of this will work on Centos, with the exception of "subscription-manager", but you can use that as well with Katello if you're really interested...

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't see why it would be a problem.

The CBT Nuggets only ahs two somewhat short videos on IPv6 for ICND1...should I just know the basic nuts and bolts of IPv6 or is this something that CISCO is going to surprise me on and have a decent amount of questions on it?

I think the only question I had on mine (was a few years ago mind you) was the "which of these is a valid ipv6 address" followed by three obviously wrong IP addresses and one that looked normal but had the 0000's shorthanded down to ::
Oh and maybe one about "which of these is valid 4-6 translation methods" with like 4-to-6 NAT, Toredo, and then some made up stuff like 4-6 RIP

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 25, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So I've been working in help desk for about 6 months, and have gotten the itch to expand my knowledge and move up and out. I figure my next step is a junior sys admit, but I'm not sure what cert I should aim for next. The CCNA or an MSCE for Windows server? I have little to no experience with what Windows server provides, and at my current job I won't really be getting any hands on experience unless I make my own lab (which I plan on doing) but I'm not sure if I need extensive network knowledge that a CCNA would provide first?

I came out of helpdesk/desktop support into sysadmin by getting my MCSAs. I had zero networking experience and very moderate networking knowledge - basic ping/traceroute, making cables, knowing a little bit about different physical network layouts.

The craziest stupidest worst part about the MCSAs is that they test Windows as a switch/router/gateway using Windows' native capabilities to do so, at least as of the first one I took for 2k3. The subsequent MCSA upgrade exams to 2k8 and 2k12 didn't touch on much other than IPv6 implementation in 2k8 and 2k12, more on iSCSI, etc. The other Windows Server networking concepts are mostly DNS, DHCP, etc.

Sybex books cover everything for those. Home labbing it up is very much encouraged - you're gonna learn a lot. But you 100% do not need a CCNA to take the MCSA/MCSE course track. You can be successful as a sysadmin without a CCNA. You'd get more more feet in more doors with one, but Sybex prep stuff covers basic networking concepts well enough to talk to a networking team or engineer and understand what they're saying. It won't teach you how to configure a Cisco switch or router under any circumstances, and you'll be shaking your head at the unironic requirement that Microsoft has for Windows servers as switches, but you'll get what you need from the prep material. I can't speak to CBT Nuggets since I did all my prep work from books - I just learn better that way, everyone is different - but prepping for the exams comprising an MCSA is a lot to learn.

From what I've seen and heard, the 2k12 MCSE is nothing more than a vamped-up course in Hyper-V with no application outside of pure Hyper-V companies. If you want a real one-two punch to lever you out of support and into sysadmin, get the 2k8 MCSA (three exams) and upgrade to 2k12 (one exam). You really do learn a lot, and if you want to take your time prepping for exams, four exams in one year is probably very reasonable.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

I came out of helpdesk/desktop support into sysadmin by getting my MCSAs. I had zero networking experience and very moderate networking knowledge - basic ping/traceroute, making cables, knowing a little bit about different physical network layouts.

The craziest stupidest worst part about the MCSAs is that they test Windows as a switch/router/gateway using Windows' native capabilities to do so, at least as of the first one I took for 2k3. The subsequent MCSA upgrade exams to 2k8 and 2k12 didn't touch on much other than IPv6 implementation in 2k8 and 2k12, more on iSCSI, etc. The other Windows Server networking concepts are mostly DNS, DHCP, etc.

Sybex books cover everything for those. Home labbing it up is very much encouraged - you're gonna learn a lot. But you 100% do not need a CCNA to take the MCSA/MCSE course track. You can be successful as a sysadmin without a CCNA. You'd get more more feet in more doors with one, but Sybex prep stuff covers basic networking concepts well enough to talk to a networking team or engineer and understand what they're saying. It won't teach you how to configure a Cisco switch or router under any circumstances, and you'll be shaking your head at the unironic requirement that Microsoft has for Windows servers as switches, but you'll get what you need from the prep material. I can't speak to CBT Nuggets since I did all my prep work from books - I just learn better that way, everyone is different - but prepping for the exams comprising an MCSA is a lot to learn.

From what I've seen and heard, the 2k12 MCSE is nothing more than a vamped-up course in Hyper-V with no application outside of pure Hyper-V companies. If you want a real one-two punch to lever you out of support and into sysadmin, get the 2k8 MCSA (three exams) and upgrade to 2k12 (one exam). You really do learn a lot, and if you want to take your time prepping for exams, four exams in one year is probably very reasonable.

I really appreciate you writing all this up. After I finish with Security+ I was planning on going for my CCNA next, but I think you've convinced me that I might want to go for my Server certs first.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Happy to help. I appreciate and respect the CCNA for what it is, but if you want to focus on the OS side of things and not go into networking, there's not really as huge a requirement - at least in the NY/NJ metro area - to have Windows Server certs and a CCNA.

Would it help? Sure, it would.

Would you risk being made into The Guy Who Does Everything IT? Lots of listings want MCSA and CCNA as a requirement, many have either or both as good-to-have. It could happen, it might not happen.

Would the MCSA pay off for a helpdesk job? IMO, absolutely. The certs got my foot in the door, the knowledge I acquired from studying and learning the material got me through the tech screening, and being able to emphasize how I was able to learn new material on my own and immediately turn it around to reduce escalated tickets, increase first contact resolution, and provide better service at the help desk level and why I think it sets me apart from other candidates was what sealed the deal.

I honestly may be going for my CCNA later in the year, after I get my pilot's license, mostly because right now with a VCP and all current MCSAs, I don't do enough higher-level VMware stuff to go for a VCAP.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

MJP posted:

If you go for a Server 2012 R2 MCSE, then yeah its "HYPERVHYPERVHYPERV!!!!!!!" but thankfully after you make it past the MCSA you can start going into specialized MCSE's. I'm personally aiming for the Desktop Infrastructure certs but they have a track for just about every service you may be interested in. I'm also pretty happy they gave alternatives to the 70-412 since its mostly about MS's solutions to backup, failover and Hyper-V storage management. You're more likely to deal with O365 management then Hyper-V.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

MJP posted:

When you say 2012 mcse are you talking about the server infrastructure one or one of the others? I thought mcse's are supposed to be significantly more challenging than the mcsa stuff, but after recently taking the 74-409 I'm feeling incredibly comfortable with Hyper-V and system Center. If they're actually that heavily focused on Hyper-V I may have to look into that while it's all still fresh in my memory...

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Traffic Reporter posted:

When you say 2012 mcse are you talking about the server infrastructure one or one of the others? I thought mcse's are supposed to be significantly more challenging than the mcsa stuff, but after recently taking the 74-409 I'm feeling incredibly comfortable with Hyper-V and system Center. If they're actually that heavily focused on Hyper-V I may have to look into that while it's all still fresh in my memory...

The MCSE: Private Cloud cert is heavily focused on implementing the entire system center stack with a large portion being 'this is how it all ties in to hyper-v and makes on prem cloud amazing'

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Traffic Reporter posted:

Yes, sorry, by reflex I was talking about the 2012 MCSE: Server Infrastructure. I can't speak to how challenging they may or may not be (I would assume somewhat so) but if you think you're good with Hyper-V and the Systems Center suite, by all means look into it. MCSE is thrown around a lot when the people who know understand an MCSA is decent at the sysadmin level.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Finally scheduled VCP 5.5 for next Tuesday. It'll be like a year to a day after I finished the Stanly course but I procrastinate and only started seriously studying after the new year.

Failing would suck because really I just want to move onto casually studying for CISSP again instead of obsessing over poo poo like DPM thresholds.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ozu posted:

Finally scheduled VCP 5.5 for next Tuesday. It'll be like a year to a day after I finished the Stanly course but I procrastinate and only started seriously studying after the new year.

Failing would suck because really I just want to move onto casually studying for CISSP again instead of obsessing over poo poo like DPM thresholds.
Yup. :( I've had the class knocked out for a while, and I keep not having the certificate. Good luck man.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MJP posted:

Thanks for this, sounds like I have some books to buy and lab to put together :)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I want a non passing understanding of security - if I want to know what the difference between ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA and ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256 are, beyond "more bits means more secure" - which certificate am I looking at? I have a lot of conversations about TLS and vulnerabilities and ciphers and certificates and proxies, and I'm playing it pretty fast and loose, hoping no one catches on. I don't need to focus my career on it, but I'd like to know significantly more than I do know, so I think a certificate would be a good direction to head in.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 26, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

Know your storage and be super granular into the dVswitch bits and pieces.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks for this, sounds like I have some books to buy and lab to put together :)

Virtualbox can handle it - you can easily cram a couple instances of 2k8 and/or 2012 and some client boxes on a decent modern PC. You may need extra RAM but it's totally doable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MJP posted:

Know your storage and be super granular into the dVswitch bits and pieces.

Virtualbox can handle it - you can easily cram a couple instances of 2k8 and/or 2012 and some client boxes on a decent modern PC. You may need extra RAM but it's totally doable.

Yeah, this is what I'm probably gonna do. I have a lot of research ahead of me, but I'm definitely starting to feel a bit bored in my help desk role so I'm taking that as a sign to start my studies so I can move up and out.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So, CCNP Switch tomorrow. I feel pretty good about vlans, vtp, stp, and the various gateway redundancy protocols. My weakest area is probably related to the various miscellaneous security features. Anyone got any last-minute advice or had a subject emphasis you weren't really expecting?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, this is what I'm probably gonna do. I have a lot of research ahead of me, but I'm definitely starting to feel a bit bored in my help desk role so I'm taking that as a sign to start my studies so I can move up and out.

That's a darn feasible way to do it. Post here or PM me if you have any questions - I have this thread tagged and would love to help if I can.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

MJP posted:

That's a darn feasible way to do it. Post here or PM me if you have any questions - I have this thread tagged and would love to help if I can.

Will do, thanks!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

sudo rm -rf posted:

So, CCNP Switch tomorrow. I feel pretty good about vlans, vtp, stp, and the various gateway redundancy protocols. My weakest area is probably related to the various miscellaneous security features. Anyone got any last-minute advice or had a subject emphasis you weren't really expecting?

I had a couple VLAN ACL questions I needed to address but that's about all I can remember. I took the test some years ago.. I might have posted a trip report so I'm going to go check my post history.

edit:

No trip report :(

me posted:

CCNP Switch down.. Never have to take another test with wireless on it again for as long as I live!

Studied with this: "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Foundation Learning Guides)"

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Hmm, there wasn't any mention of ACLs or even wireless technologies in my cert guide book. :ohdear:

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Which book did you use? Are VLAN ACLs on the new blueprint even? (these will be different from your typical access-lists)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

1000101 posted:

Which book did you use? Are VLAN ACLs on the new blueprint even? (these will be different from your typical access-lists)

I've got the 300-115 official cert guide by David Hucaby.

And after poking around at the exam topics, I don't think vlan ACLs are on the new test as far as I can tell.

I wonder if IP SLA will be covered. It isn't in the exam topics, but it is in my cert guide.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

sudo rm -rf posted:

I did my Switch about 6 months ago so it wasn't the new V2 one, but it was alot of FHRP, quite a bit of STP and some port security stuff. VLAN stuff featured but was minimal from what I remember. The strongest emphasis was FHRP. There was a bit of IP SLA stuff too and how it tied in with FHRP

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2015

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Im on EIGRP in INCD2 studies, got any tips there? I keep getting interrupted on studies when I get to Feasible Routes and Feasible Successors dammit!

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
This article sums up sucessors pretty well:
http://packetlife.net/blog/2010/aug/9/eigrp-feasible-successor-routes/

You don't need to go super indepth with EIGRP and start memorising the metric calculation formula or anything, but just the administrative distances of each protocol, and in EIGRP specifically, what sucessors are and how they work, summarisation and auto summary.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Failed with 766. Bummer.

Got hosed on security. My mind blanked on an AAA lab and I know it failed me there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Im on EIGRP in INCD2 studies, got any tips there? I keep getting interrupted on studies when I get to Feasible Routes and Feasible Successors dammit!

Like many things, the easiest way to remember the Feasible Successor methodology is to understand the rationale behind the formula, and not just try to memorize the formula by itself.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

sudo rm -rf posted:

Failed with 766. Bummer.

Got hosed on security. My mind blanked on an AAA lab and I know it failed me there.

Bugger, it wasnt that tacacs/radius one was it? that one caught me out too

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
So for any Canadians here, is there some reason why both CompTIA's marketplace and PearsonVUE list an A+ voucher/exam's price in USD? I don't usually purchase things online, but I'm guessing either place won't accept CDN currency. How much am I actually paying for and do I have to deal with some conversion charge?

Sorry for the odd questions, because I haven't gotten any response from both places and I'd like more info before I do anything rash.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Singh Long posted:

So for any Canadians here, is there some reason why both CompTIA's marketplace and PearsonVUE list an A+ voucher/exam's price in USD? I don't usually purchase things online, but I'm guessing either place won't accept CDN currency. How much am I actually paying for and do I have to deal with some conversion charge?

Sorry for the odd questions, because I haven't gotten any response from both places and I'd like more info before I do anything rash.

In my experience it'll charge your account in USD so your credit card will see a 20% increase from the actual purchase price.

It's lovely.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I want a non passing understanding of security - if I want to know what the difference between ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA and ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256 are, beyond "more bits means more secure" - which certificate am I looking at? I have a lot of conversations about TLS and vulnerabilities and ciphers and certificates and proxies, and I'm playing it pretty fast and loose, hoping no one catches on. I don't need to focus my career on it, but I'd like to know significantly more than I do know, so I think a certificate would be a good direction to head in.
Everyone's too cool to answer me.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I just took 2 practice tests, one on the Odom book another in Transcender, and loaded up everything to do with EIGRP. On the Odom, 19 questions, scored 80%, on the Transcender, 29 questions, scored 79%, not terrible for first attempts. I think Im getting a decent grasp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

m.hache posted:

In my experience it'll charge your account in USD so your credit card will see a 20% increase from the actual purchase price.

It's lovely.

And no one else complained about it? I don't mind having to pay a bit more than an American, but cert vendors should be a lot more transparent when it comes to foreign pricing. We shouldn't have to make a blind leap of faith just because of some unexplained reason.