Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Opposing Farce posted:

There is no future in which I play Bloodborne on the table right now, so I'm going to have to pull BFSC off my rotation indefinitely and try not to feel resentful when it inevitably keeps coming up on the other podcasts I listen to.

To feel better about not playing Bloodborne right now I need to keep reminding myself that some of my favorite Souls experiences were playing an area in DS1 then listening to the episode of BFSC about that area right after. Sometimes while I was playing the next area. After I caught up it wasn't the same. Especially with DS2 which I got at launch and played through the whole game over a few weeks. Listening to a podcast about a zone I played months before wasn't as awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just going to wait for Kay to start her inevitable thorough playthrough of it and have BFSC be a companion piece to that instead of an actual playthrough. It'll be sad missing out on actually playing a Souls game, but I'll live.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Sorry you guys can't play right now. I do agree with you all on having the episodes ready to go as a companion pieces is definitely better though. I got into Dark Souls originally due to this thread and the podcast so season 1 was already wrapped when I started playing through. By the time I beat Dark and got into Demons that season was wrapping up as well so it worked nice that way. I enjoyed listening to the Da2 episodes but like you guys sometimes I hadn't played a zone in months so it was more hazy. I think it was more that Souls 2 didn't grab me as much as the previous games though. Da2 was good but way too messy. Bloodborne feels very tight while at the same time freaking crazy. It plays like a supercharged Demon's Souls, while using the best of Dark Souls 1 world building ideas, mixed with a splash of Castlevania flair. It's about perfect for what I want.

It will be interesting to see how the game fares from a business standpoint. The PS4 has been dying for a big exclusive so one would assume this will be the first foray into this type of game for many a gamer. I know the game is shaking out to be a critical darling and the hardcore From Software fans are lapping the poo poo up but I'm curious how the gamers at large respond. Hopefully it's a positive reception. I know I've had 3 friends interested in trying it out but are intimidated by it. On one hand I love that in 2015 a major console exclusive can have that type of mystique around it. On the other hand, yeah, I'd imagine that can't be that great for sales.

I dunno, whatever, a massive financial success would be great but I'm just happy it exists and isn't dumbed down. It's hard sure, but it's a freaking blast and the game (thus far) has moment upon moment where I can envision Miyazaki repeatedly screaming HOW DO YA LIKE ME NOW BITCH?!?! Good times.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

That WOFF almost made me want to pick up Modern Warfare, which is much closer than any other piece of video game media has gotten me so good job on that.

I did pick up Modern Warfare because of the episode of WOFF, I'm playing through it at a relaxed pace and enjoying it.

Also I'm not planning on buying a PS4, so I'll use BFSC as my main method of experiencing Bloodborne. Also today at work I had to assure a Sony rep that we sold out of Bloodborne on the first day at my store, we didn't just forget to stock it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm just going to wait for Kay to start her inevitable thorough playthrough of it and have BFSC be a companion piece to that instead of an actual playthrough. It'll be sad missing out on actually playing a Souls game, but I'll live.

You can watch Jeff Green play through it. He's anti-Kay in terms of skill but he's really funny and is in on the joke that he's kind of bad at the games (he did become really good at Dark Souls at one point but he was unemployed at the time). Unfortunately he's suffering from a bulging disc so he's laid out on his back. It hasn't dulled his sense of humor, though.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Twitch posted:

Also today at work I had to assure a Sony rep that we sold out of Bloodborne on the first day at my store, we didn't just forget to stock it.

I noticed it was sold out at random Pittsburgh Walmart I went in today. Hope it's selling super well!

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Timett posted:

I noticed it was sold out at random Pittsburgh Walmart I went in today. Hope it's selling super well!

Sup Pittsburgh Podcast Goon, I just downloaded that poo poo and it took literally 15 minutes much to my goddamned surprise.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Captain Internet posted:

Sup Pittsburgh Podcast Goon, I just downloaded that poo poo and it took literally 15 minutes much to my goddamned surprise.

I'm a Michigoon who travels for work and had time to kill in Pitt this morning. Can we still be goon podcast bros?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Timett posted:

I'm a Michigoon who travels for work and had time to kill in Pitt this morning. Can we still be goon podcast bros?

Sure, I know me some Michigan too but mostly the garbage dump they call Ypsilanti. We can still be bros though, assuming you have good taste. Which I am assuming you do.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Link for large version

http://i.imgur.com/cgiVajF.jpg

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
As someone sensitive to Bloodborne spoilers, how should I approach Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs, etc this week? I'm at the second boss currently.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
No spoilers on IT.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Giantbomb doesn't spoil much. You get a look at a boss, weapons and Brad explains things but that's about it. You do see some classic "Dark Souls" of a cocky player being taken down a notch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bombcast talk about it ends at around 55 minutes in.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ulta posted:

As someone sensitive to Bloodborne spoilers, how should I approach Giant Bomb, Idle Thumbs, etc this week? I'm at the second boss currently.

As if Idle Thumbs would play anything that's not a mobile or itch.io game!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Thirsty Dog posted:

Or the Murder She Wrote board game.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Or the Murder She Wrote board game.

Wait.

gently caress it I'm catching up as soon as possible.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Chris

The look you were struggling to place in Demon/Dark Souls is the look of the original D&d. Demon Souls in particular is a love letter to the look from the original Dungeon and Dragons. The most flagrant examples are the mind flayers in the Tower of Latvia, but almost every enemy in the series has an analog.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Re: this week's Idle Thumbs--the interview with Miyazaki Chris (I'm pretty sure it was Chris) was looking for does exist. It was published in Japanese in an artbook, and somebody on the Giant Bomb forums translated it in six parts starting here. It goes into a lot of really fine detail about specific boss, character, and area designs, so there's a lot of context that I imagine is lost if you aren't intimately familiar with the game itself, but it might shine some light on where the Souls visual style comes from.

There's also this factoid (from an Edge article that I can't find the full text of, referencing another Edge article I can't find at all) that explains a lot about the tone and atmosphere of Demon's/Dark Souls:

quote:

[Miyazaki] explained to us in a previous interview, for instance, that the veil of ambiguity hovering over the Souls games grew out of his experiences as a child poring over western fantasy literature. Due to his patchy comprehension of English at the time, there were large chunks of each book he couldn’t decipher, leaving him to fill in the details with his imagination. He set out to create that same sense of awe and bewilderment in his games, letting players fill in the gaps with their imagination instead of having every plot point and objective clearly articulated through in-game text or cutscenes.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 27, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

They played the game they just don't spoil it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Opposing Farce posted:

Re: this week's Idle Thumbs--the interview with Miyazaki Chris (I'm pretty sure it was Chris) was looking for does exist. It was published in Japanese in an artbook, and somebody on the Giant Bomb forums translated it in six parts starting here. It goes into a lot of really fine detail about specific boss, character, and area designs, so there's a lot of context that I imagine is lost if you aren't intimately familiar with the game itself, but it might shine some light on where the Souls visual style comes from.

There's also this factoid (from an Edge article that I can't find the full text of, referencing another Edge article I can't find at all) that explains a lot about the tone and atmosphere of Demon's/Dark Souls:
For what it's worth that book received an English release, I have it! It's a nice companion to the hardcover guide.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

They played the game they just don't spoil it.

I was being facetious. It's a bit of a joke even on IT that they don't play games...

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new Watch Out for Fireballs! is out, and it's about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/96

A depressing and delayed point about this episode:

The "Death from Above" chapter with the gunship that you guys both felt was a good commentary on the gamification of war and was a section of the game that actually handled the nature of modern conflict in a nuanced and interesting way? Well (apparently) the devs just thought that was cool as poo poo technology and a loving awesome set-piece, and whenever asked were always super shocked that people read all this 'thoughtful bullshit' into it.

It's understandable that you read the scene as you did, as that was the reaction from the wider gaming press as well, but the intentionality you ascribe simply isn't there. This was created as just another rad-awesome, ooh-rah, look-how-big-our-guns-are military wank-fest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pasco posted:

The "Death from Above" chapter with the gunship that you guys both felt was a good commentary on the gamification of war and was a section of the game that actually handled the nature of modern conflict in a nuanced and interesting way? Well (apparently) the devs just thought that was cool as poo poo technology and a loving awesome set-piece, and whenever asked were always super shocked that people read all this 'thoughtful bullshit' into it.

It's understandable that you read the scene as you did, as that was the reaction from the wider gaming press as well, but the intentionality you ascribe simply isn't there. This was created as just another rad-awesome, ooh-rah, look-how-big-our-guns-are military wank-fest.

Ha ha yeah I remember that from the crate and crowbar, any one remember which episode? They straight up told them this at an event.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pasco posted:

I haven't actually listened to that episode yet, but authorial intention is, or at least can be, irrelevant to reading any text. Even a video game. Doesn't matter what they wanted it to look like, only what it looked like. Tommy Wiseau intended The Room to be a serious drama (until he realized everyone was laughing at it). Shakespeare's sonnets were intended to get his dick wet.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

Ha ha yeah I remember that from the crate and crowbar, any one remember which episode? They straight up told them this at an event.

It's from the most recent episode, I think.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I thin they call back to it but it was discussed first on a much earlier episode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like the Super Marcato Brothers podcast but they seem to intensely dislike most soundtracks from cd based consoles, calling them "cheesy", whatever that means.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

It's also been discussed on Giant Bomb and a few other places, but I'm pretty sure my memory of it is from the halcyon days of GFW Radio (RIP :( )

TetsuoTW posted:

I haven't actually listened to that episode yet, but authorial intention is, or at least can be, irrelevant to reading any text. Even a video game. Doesn't matter what they wanted it to look like, only what it looked like. Tommy Wiseau intended The Room to be a serious drama (until he realized everyone was laughing at it). Shakespeare's sonnets were intended to get his dick wet.

Oh, absolutely, and I would never say that Gary and Kole were wrong to take away what they did, or even that the scene isn't effective from the "war is a dehumanising hellscape which technology is gradually sanitising in a somehow even more horrific way" perspective.

It's just that they brought up the devs / writers several times, specifically addressing the contrasting ooh-rah vs boo-rah viewpoints, so I thought it worth mentioning that it was intended as all ooh-rah, no boo-rah.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 27, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kurtofan posted:

I like the Super Marcato Brothers podcast but they seem to intensely dislike most soundtracks from cd based consoles, calling them "cheesy", whatever that means.

I kiiiiinda get what they mean by that, even if I wouldn't describe the entire period like that? Early titles with redbook tended to have very... a lot of it reminded me of the cheap "read a storybook to kids" multimedia stuff that PCs had. Composers eventually figured it out and used the sound hardware to better effect, but a lot of titles give me that "generic woodwind with some digital instruments" feeling early on. But, having not listened to them yet, I might be misrepresenting the argument entirely.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I kiiiiinda get what they mean by that, even if I wouldn't describe the entire period like that? Early titles with redbook tended to have very... a lot of it reminded me of the cheap "read a storybook to kids" multimedia stuff that PCs had. Composers eventually figured it out and used the sound hardware to better effect, but a lot of titles give me that "generic woodwind with some digital instruments" feeling early on. But, having not listened to them yet, I might be misrepresenting the argument entirely.

Most games on the Neo Geo CD pretty much contradicts this since SNK had an actual in-house band, and they put out incredible music for years and years.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Does anyone ever talk about or interview people responsible for the Interstate 76 soundtrack?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hakkesshu posted:

Most games on the Neo Geo CD pretty much contradicts this since SNK had an actual in-house band, and they put out incredible music for years and years.

I basically wrote this out but with the surreal buttrock of the (US) Sega CD. There were definite exceptions, and it was moved past after a bit. (Similarly, I am a huge sucker for using the eccentricity of synthesized instrumentation to good effect, I always liked the Parasite Eve soundtrack for that reason.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ja2ke posted:

Does anyone ever talk about or interview people responsible for the Interstate 76 soundtrack?

I bumped that poo poo in the car all day long. Fuuuck, that game. So good.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I bumped that poo poo in the car all day long. Fuuuck, that game. So good.

A significant-ish portion of my single digit childhood memories consist of me playing a demo of Interstate 76 with two levels, Playboy and Fuzz Buster, with a joystick.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Crate and Crowbar was a week late with the episode title but "Forget it Jake, it's Pootown" stomps the heck out of the retroactively weak "Pooptown, New Mexico."

Thumbs even have a Jake! It's so good!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Virt says he was invoking 90's redbook audio for the new Shantae OST, so you might wanna give that a look if you haven't already.

ja2ke posted:

I wanna say the music for the Interstate games was by Mutato Muzika, a production company started by some of the Devo guys that most famously worked on the early Crash Bandicoot games.

The Vigilante 8 stuff was by Howard Drossin, who's best known for working on Sega games like Sonic 3&K and Die Hard Arcade.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Crate and Crowbar was a week late with the episode title but "Forget it Jake, it's Pootown" stomps the heck out of the retroactively weak "Pooptown, New Mexico."

Thumbs even have a Jake! It's so good!

It was Poopwater not town! And you're right.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Looks like another way to pad out Bonfireside Chat is happening http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bloodborne-dev-s-ps1-game-shadow-tower-headed-to-p/1100-6426216/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Gotta stall for Dark Souls 3!

• Locked thread