Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne

IceAgeComing posted:

I'd personally remove F1 from that list since its not directly comparable to any of those other series - America is NASCAR's primary (and its probably fair to say only) market so its going to cater to the American market while the US has always been a comparatively small market for F1 and they've never quite broken through. Its natural that a racing series where most of the races are very early in the morning isn't going to be as popular than one that races at 1:30 or 3:30. Also F1 certainly isn't scared to play with gimmicks, although none quite as bad as the Green White Checkered...

Your wider point is valid though

You can thank Junior fans for the GWC because they were so butt hurt over Gordon beating Junior under caution at Talladega.

Furniture Row is looking for a primary sponsor for next year and might expand to two teams. They've come a long way since the days of Joe Nemechek and Kenny Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Not ending a race under caution has been a thing in dirt track racing for decades.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
People on Twitter being mad that the rating isn't as bad as the first report said is weird.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Aww man, Earl Baltes died :smith:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Aww man, Earl Baltes died :smith:

Yeah, I caught that this morning. He did fantastic things with a sunken patch of dirt in Ohio.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Get hosed, Red Horse Racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Quantrill posted:

Yeah, I caught that this morning. He did fantastic things with a sunken patch of dirt in Ohio.

this is gonna be Smoke's Cus D'Amato moment :ohdear:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

SRA, be sure to ask Joe Chisholm about crate engines, if you want him to go off for 3 hours on the radio.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
A little late on this but for anybody keeping track I have watched every televised lap of Cup races this season. The races have not been the most exciting thus far. I was genuinely looking forward to the race to the finish between Kurt and Kevin. I was even kind of wondering if Kevin was going to lay off a little bit in order to let Kurt win to get two SHR cars into the chase and the ensuing shitstorm that would have followed if that was indeed the case.

Instead I got the run of the mill, week in, week out NASCAR experience that is manufactured drama in the form of a "debris" caution in order to make the finish interesting even though it was probably going to be an interesting two car fight to the finish in the end anyway. What pissed me off the most was after the Biffle crash and he got it going Larry loving Mac had the balls to applaud NASCAR for letting them race back to the line for the finish. Now I'm not mad because of safety concerns or any of that but the fact that it was a fake loving bullshit debris caution thrown by NASCAR that led to the circumstances that led to the 16 car being crashed in the first place (Biffle's driving skills not withstanding). How can you applaud them for not loving up a hosed up situation that they created?

Just as a side note this is the only post in this thread that matters since it is the only post made by somebody who actually watches the races and that isn't an obvious shill for NASCAR. Though that can't really be true I guess because how is it possible that so many people can complain so much about something they don't even watch? That'd be like if I ran around complaining about American Idol because I saw 1 episode of it once and loving hated it so I spend all my time on message boards saying they have lost all the real fans like me, who haven't watched any of it in 3 years.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
As long as everybody in this thread swoons over plate racing, and creates a whole game around the prospect of a huge crash, you'll continue to get pro wrestling because nothing caters to the lowest common denominator quite like plate racing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Just as a side note this is the only post in this thread that matters since it is the only post made by somebody who actually watches the races and that isn't an obvious shill for NASCAR.

Hey now :(

Also I think Kurt had pretty much run away with it at the point the caution came out, Harvick had charged forward on the previous lap, couldn't make the pass, and dropped back some. Don't think he had time to make it up.

Not that it matters in the end, but hey.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Ha I was wondering if you were actually going to catch that but you're all over it. Watching NASCAR, reading my posts, what other boring activities do you like to do?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Ha I was wondering if you were actually going to catch that but you're all over it. Watching NASCAR, reading my posts, what other boring activities do you like to do?

Lots and lots of manga, bro :cool:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
My youngest daughter has started drawing manga.

:argh:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A parents worst nightmare, My condolences.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

mischief posted:

Sever immediately.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mischief posted:

complete list of thing kids like in 2015:

minecraft
animes

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cygni posted:

complete list of thing kids like in 2015:

minecraft
animes

Kids love nascar too. Just ask @NASFACTS

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The best part of @NASFACTS is people not getting the joke (including Alex Kennedy)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

A little late on this but for anybody keeping track I have watched every televised lap of Cup races this season.

Just as a side note this is the only post in this thread that matters since it is the only post made by somebody who actually watches the races and that isn't an obvious shill for NASCAR.

I've seen most of the laps, if not all, and paid to see 204 of them live. I've also purchased the rights to see 160 (or a few more) more in a few months.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

bigbillystyle posted:

How can you applaud them for not loving up a hosed up situation that they created?

Because if they threw the yellow, it would've been more hosed-up.

Being able to quantify awful finishes is a skill I'm afraid we've all developed these past few years.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I remember telling someone in IRC Irwindale was still a track, Well not for long.

http://www.jayski.com/pages/tracks/misc.htm

Also Texas World gonna be a neighborhood soon.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

http://www.racingjunk.com/NASCAR-ARCA-ASA-HOOTERS/182388843/NASCAR-Xfinity-Team-Complete-2015-Ready-.html?imageIndex=0&showSuperSize=true

Let's go racin', boys

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'll contribute :10bux:. Who's the driver?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'll contribute :10bux:. Who's the driver?

Johanna Long, duh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can we get redditors to submit enough bitdoge to get us there?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

Also Texas World gonna be a neighborhood soon.

Seemed like only a matter of time really.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Possibly Chicken posted:

I remember telling someone in IRC Irwindale was still a track, Well not for long.
Irwindale has struggled to pay the bills pretty much since they opened. It's really sad.

Only short track with any real racing in socal is like loving Perris, and that town is a rancid shithole 2+ hours/80+ miles away from LA or San Diego. Ventura and Baron have some local racing and thats about it.

Considering the combined Greater LA/San Diego area alone has a bigger population than every single US state not named California (obvi) or Texas, thats sad.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

2015 has been a loving bloodbath for short-tracks, and most places haven't even opened yet.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will have a one-off Jeff Gordon-themed goalie mask, which will be auctioned off for charity following the game.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/580558046843121664

...man, Rags, why you gotta go do something like this and make me hate you slightly less?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey guys...the Wiki is back. :getin:

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Gordon is from nor-cal.. idgi

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne

CBJSprague24 posted:

New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist will have a one-off Jeff Gordon-themed goalie mask, which will be auctioned off for charity following the game.

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/580558046843121664

...man, Rags, why you gotta go do something like this and make me hate you slightly less?

gently caress the Rangers. My wife, however, will love this because she's been a Gordon fan since his rookie year AND she thinks Lundqvist is dreamy.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Gordon should race a goalie mask helmet.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Awesome.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Memories flooding back

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

On the flip side, what sort of mystery disease does JD Gibbs have? That press release was cryptic as gently caress...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hydrocephalus

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Want to know the ridiculousness of NASCAR merchandising? I got bored tonight and inventoried my Gordon car collection, which has been growing for 20 years. Around 2007, I stopped buying cars which I deemed to either a) be so close to the standard scheme that it wasn't worth the money and/or b) a released car which was the same as a scheme run in previous years.

I have 71 diecasts, most of which are 1:64. Four are the same car, repeat purchases (Gordon Rainbow 1996, 1999 1:64, 1997 1:144. Gordon Flames 2004), but shifts to new body style (Gordon Monte Carlo 1995, 2007 Flames CoT) count as different. I plan on picking up the Panasonic car (it rules) and, because I'm a glutton, his AARP car for this year.

AARP has had a new paint scheme in four of their five seasons.

There are 16 cars I didn't buy, and I probably should've bought 2 or 3 of those but just didn't for whatever reason.

One additional car, his Farmville car from 2012, was never released due to licensing issues.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Nerd.

• Locked thread