Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I dunno I still have instances where I am staring straight down a lane and torps just materialize 200 meters away from me. Yesterday I was playing, sitting about 4-5k from the edge of a smoke screen, I figured 4-5k was enough to react to any torps being fired from within.

Nope, torps just warp into existence about 4 seconds before they hit. No indicators, no trails before hand. There was absolutely no indication the torps existed before they were right on top of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Were there planes near you? The best CV players can have torpedo bombers drop their torpedoes so they hit you the moment they arm.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'll add myself to the line of "a key would be nice" people. Preferrably EU, but don't mind a US key either.

Got my key, thanks to TheFluff!

The game at it's current stage reminds me of old World of Tanks closed beta days, when tanks and gameplay were lot slower and you could play it quite casually. These days WoT is infested with guns with crazy ammo & penetration, fast tanks, small tanks etc. and the game is not nearly as relaxing anymore.

Edit: wtf. The US keys are $40 on ebay, EU keys over 100€? :suicide:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 26, 2015

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
I'd like a key as well. EU preferred, but US would be OK too :)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I, also, would love an EU key. I have been trying to get one for a while now. I just want to shoot boats!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
I too would like to get on the EU boats-key boat.

That I may enjoy the experience of death from an inevitable magazine explosion, just like my lowly Royal Navy ancestors did :britain:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kubrick posted:

I would love a key (US). Every key giveaway has been a roller coaster of emotions ultimately ending in a deep boatless depression.

Man, I'm sorry, but don't get your hopes up too much. I've sent the request but if I get anything at all it'll probably be like 5-10 keys and I don't think there's enough for everyone :(

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

Mission accomplished :fsmug:

So how does it play?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
I'll add my name to the list for an EU key on the off chance one is spare. Man it took me a while to find this thread, time to play catch up.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
My biggest annoyance with playing as CVs so far is that there's absolutely nothing you can do if the enemy carriers have better fighters than you do. If you fight them one on one you'll lose every plane and maybe shoot down one of theirs, so the only thing your fighters can accomplish is distracting theirs for long enough to strike with your other planes. It's a shame because that's not the case with ships, generally speaking it's a more level playing field in terms of fighting higher-tiered ships with guns.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Yeah CVs being super tiered and having to sit on your rear end for half the game because it takes forever to retrieve your planes is probably the worst part of playing CVs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Winged Orpheus posted:

+1 US key beggar. It's better than spamming some streamer's twitch chat to try and get one.

Indeed, what this gent/ma'am said.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Man, I'm sorry, but don't get your hopes up too much. I've sent the request but if I get anything at all it'll probably be like 5-10 keys and I don't think there's enough for everyone :(

No problem, thank you for trying.

I'll just watch this while I wait for the open Beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

2. The Miyagi sucks so bad. Sprays 14" shells everywhere even when perfectly aimed. Only good use I found for it was when I turned the corner and Banzi'ed a near full health Amagi and took him with me.

The hell's a Miyagi? Unless you mean the Myogi, which yes, is kinda meh. Totally worth sticking it out for the Kongo, though.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Kongo is awesome, Fuso is even better, though I have heard not so great things from the T7 battleship, which just looks like another kongo class

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have the -10% service time to aircraft and -10% time for torpedo bombers. Still takes a really long time. I bet the reload time was set with the assumption that you'll have both those skills. If planes could land faster and more reliably or even land and takeoff planes at the same time or just cut down the time it takes for planes to lift, half the time would make more sense, it would make carriering a lot less annoying. :rant:

NTRabbit posted:

You can see them on the screen before the alarm starts wailing at you, and you can't rely on just the alarm because it often doesn't start until it's too late for you to turn
Yeah the alarm seems utterly useless unless you're in a destroyer.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tahirovic posted:

So how does it play?

Like the Lexington, but with an extra squadron and significantly better fighters. The Bearcat is simply monstrous in air combat, you also get a 2 F, 2 TB, 1 DB setup which is probably the most effective planes mix there is. It can also mount a module which gives your attack planes 15% more survivability or 5% more speed for all planes.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 26, 2015

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
If any US keys come up for grabs, I'd like one. My closed beta bid seems to have ended in failure. Failure and shame.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

Like the Lexington, but with an extra squadron and significantly better fighters. The Bearcat is simply monstrous in air combat, you also get a 2 F, 2 TB, 1 DB setup which is probably the most effective planes mix there is. It can also mount a module which gives your attack planes 15% more survivability or 5% more speed for all planes.

Thanks, I kinda got bored of CVs and was wondering how the high tier ones handle themselves. The ranger is really meh becuase by that tier cruisers have their "insta pop a TB squadron" button. Wonder if that's any better with tier10 TB.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

"Carrier fag" seems to be the new buzzword.

Tahirovic posted:

Thanks, I kinda got bored of CVs and was wondering how the high tier ones handle themselves. The ranger is really meh becuase by that tier cruisers have their "insta pop a TB squadron" button. Wonder if that's any better with tier10 TB.

It's a bit better. But you still should never loiter around enemy packs and if possible always attack in groups to disperse AA a bit. The important thing at the high levels is to plan your attack vector from outside their AA range and ideally outside their spotting range so that you do your run in one go instead of turning at the last moment.

If cruisers are around try to get them to pop their barrage ability and attack one it has worn off, or just find stragglers and pick them off.

Yamato AA is pretty good, I wonder what the US BB AA will be like...which historically was superior in every way.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 26, 2015

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

why reinvent the wheel when "sky cancer" works just fine

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Hammerstein posted:

It's a bit better. But you still should never loiter around enemy packs and if possible always attack in groups to disperse AA a bit. The important thing at the high levels is to plan your attack vector from outside their AA range and ideally outside their spotting range so that you do your run in one go instead of turning at the last moment.

If cruisers are around try to get them to pop their barrage ability and attack one it has worn off, or just find stragglers and pick them off.

Yamato AA is pretty good, I wonder what the US BB AA will be like...which historically was superior in every way.

60-80 bofors and 50ish Oerlikons? yes I am not sure how that will work and I'd assume the Montana to be even worse. Good thing there wont be a 1980 Iowa with CIWS, think they got one to cover each side.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Jack_tripper posted:

why reinvent the wheel when "sky cancer" works just fine

I need to get in on this, and torpedo pubbies a ton.
All while claiming my innocence in allchat:
"Sorry, I had no idea that would hurt you",
"OPS, first time in this boat, I guess we all get lucky sometimes",
"I was aiming for that other guy, please don't run into my torps",
"Did they nerf BB AA decently",
etc

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dive bombers are pretty 'meh' in general, but boy do you ever appreciate them when you're being chased down by a 500-HP destroyer.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

Dive bombers are pretty 'meh' in general, but boy do you ever appreciate them when you're being chased down by a 500-HP destroyer.

:flashfact: Dive bombers reliably cause fires and get pubbies to use their repair ability. If you time your strikes right then you can get a BB on fire and flooded which can count for ~10k damage. This is really nice to burn down already damaged ships so that you don't have to invest another strike just to put an already doomed ship down.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Stevefin posted:

Yeah the triangles above torps are gone, the indicators near the cross air is gone, and even the sound is gone

Which one did you install so I can check the file contents? It might override something but won't delete anything so all you have to do is go back and delete the file from res_mods/0.3.0 folder. I will dick with them now and install them all individually to see if I can find it on my own.

Hammerstein posted:

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 26, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

:flashfact: Dive bombers reliably cause fires and get pubbies to use their repair ability. If you time your strikes right then you can get a BB on fire and flooded which can count for ~10k damage. This is really nice to burn down already damaged ships so that you don't have to invest another strike just to put an already doomed ship down.

It's great when this happens, but I haven't been able to pull it off consistently. I'll probably get better now that I'm finally at the stage with the Saipan where I can have 1F 2TB 1DB.

Also, competent CV play makes the difference:

Those 8K damage torpedoes :woop:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

With 2 TB and 1 DB the correct order should be: attack with 1 TB, watch if he fixes the flood damage (recognizable by speed) and then burn and flood some more with the other 2 squadrons.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, seems TheFluff got some sweet CB codes for us. Really appreciate this man, a thousand thanks :toot:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

demonR6 posted:

Which one did you install so I can check the file contents? It might override something but won't delete anything so all you have to do is go back and delete the file from res_mods/0.3.0 folder. I will dick with them now and install them all individually to see if I can find it on my own.

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

Just saying Poi or anything with poi at the end gets people so mad. It's hilarious.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Well, that was quick. Got 10 EU codes, everyone who asked for an EU code explicitly and is on Dr. Arbitrary's list (send him your thanks too!) should have received one, so check your PM's. I still have four two have no more to hand out :( post away if you want an EU code. Nothing for the US server so far. I asked for 15 US codes but I have no idea how many I'll get.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 26, 2015

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011
Add me to the list of key-seekers (EU)
Missing every sign-up window or promotion because of work is starting to grow old really fast.

Got it, thank you!

Neferreth fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 26, 2015

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neferreth posted:

Add me to the list of key-seekers (EU)
Missing every sign-up window or promotion because of work is starting to grow old really fast.

You don't have PM's but post your email and I'll send you one.

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Someone posted about being able to change the key servers from EU to NA and vice versa, is that actually possible? If so then obviously I'll take one and change the server, otherwise I'll leave it for someone in EU who'd probably appreciate it more, my internet isn't that great to begin with.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Welp, seems TheFluff got some sweet CB codes for us. Really appreciate this man, a thousand thanks :toot:

Got one, too. This just in: TheFluff is awesome and smells nice!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nerd death screech posted:

Someone posted about being able to change the key servers from EU to NA and vice versa, is that actually possible? If so then obviously I'll take one and change the server, otherwise I'll leave it for someone in EU who'd probably appreciate it more, my internet isn't that great to begin with.

I have no idea if this is possible or not. Don't give up hope yet US players, it seems codes for different servers are handled in a different way by different people so it's not weird that I haven't gotten any US ones yet.

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

TheFluff posted:

You don't have PM's but post your email and I'll send you one.

(e-mail removed)

Thanks!

Neferreth fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 26, 2015

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can i grab one for my buddy dominionix who is at work and not responding? Know he's been wantin to get in. EU that is

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Boats here I come. Thanks a bunch Ren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Hey its cool, it is for a friend I am already in. Thanks for trying for me and others how ever.