Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Carter 6 will be out before Carter 5 :qq:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like Thug but that song didn't really do anything for me.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Oh the way he exclaims "a brand new caaaahh!!" at the start of the album, hilarious. Okay peace

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah I'm a huge Young Thugga Fitzgerald fan but I don't think that's his best work

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Kendrick Lamar Held a Surprise Concert On a Moving Semi-Truck In Hollywood Last Night

Pretty cool, but I like how it seems he didn't perform anything from the new album.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5xV5xhXCKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwuVV07f8DY

Great new interviews by Nardwuar.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I walked past him at SXSW and gave him a fist bump :smugdog:

Would anyone here be interested in a trip report effort post from last week? SXSW these days is so hip hop focused and I don't know of anywhere else that lets fans see both huge and up and coming talent in intimate settings. I had a blast... I saw Epik High, Rae Sremmurd, Skepta, Migos, Timbaland, Mike Will (including everyone he brought out at Fader),

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Did Young Thug quit YM/CM/birdman/opiate-addict-twink-rape-squad or something? Radio was making it sound like it.

Fiiyahhhhhhhhhh

Any new place to find this track? Its gone

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

air- posted:

Would anyone here be interested in a trip report effort post from last week? SXSW these days is so hip hop focused and I don't know of anywhere else that lets fans see both huge and up and coming talent in intimate settings. I had a blast... I saw Epik High, Rae Sremmurd, Skepta, Migos, Timbaland, Mike Will (including everyone he brought out at Fader),

Of course, post away.

Not entirely sure how I feel about the new Earl yet, but it seems to grow on me with each listen. Not a fan of the production on "Grief" at all, but "AM // Radio" has a really cool sound.
Albumname of the year tho - I Don't Like poo poo, I Don't Go Outside: An Album By Earl Sweatshirt.

e: Didn't care for the new Thugger Thugger much but it reminded me that "The Blanguage" was great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHPBn9dt9LA

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9mOoIj9MYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xc9ZMEFjA0

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

A Handed Missus posted:

Kendrick Lamar Held a Surprise Concert On a Moving Semi-Truck In Hollywood Last Night

Pretty cool, but I like how it seems he didn't perform anything from the new album.

Alright is from the Album.

Edit: Oh I guess I saw a different link..

https://twitter.com/DailyRapFacts/status/580602933684936704

http://www.stereogum.com/1789630/kendrick-lamar-played-a-surprise-concert-on-a-reebok-flatbed-truck-last-night/video/

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 25, 2015

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The good music just isn't stopping. Bambam's verse... :staredog: :vince:

https://twitter.com/Alchemist/status/580730898603208704

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Future is killing it right now, looooving his new sound

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like that new thug track. I am excited for... Both carters? :confused: surely one of them will come out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

surely wayne is gonna sue for copyright on that

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The initial reason I started going to SXSW was for foreign musical acts that would've required me to travel to the other side of the world. These days, the festival focuses significantly more on hip hop. This was my 9th trip and definitely feel free to ask about SXSW (especially how it works with paying vs just rsvp'ing etc)/Austin in general if you wanna make the trip next year. Most of this will cover the time I spent at the Fader Fort, but like any music festival, everyone's experience is different and it's possible to have a ton of fun via bouncing around various around day parties like this dude.

I'm well aware the the thread isn't into Rae Sremmurd, but I insist: see them live if you ever have an opportunity. These dudes are 100% no bullshit about having fun with their tremendous energy and stage presence and legitimately just want their audience to have a good time. Caught them on Wednesday and Thursday: at Pitchfork and as part of Mike Will closing out Fader with Future, Riff Raff, Miley etc.

Friday: Grime is what I was there to see, and after cooling down from Skepta, I was saving my energy for Migos... except Big Sean came out first and then he brought out E-40 :stare: Feet were killing me and I was starving after that so I ended up leaving T-Pain's set early... I heard he put on a drat good show.

Saturday had a lot happen: Kevin Gates at the Fader Fort was impressive. Crowd was hype as gently caress and he put a lot of energy into performing. Also was a nice surprise getting to see Badbadnotgood with Ghostface. I heard the performance at Boiler Room was even better, though downside: it's much more difficult to get into unless you were willing to wait out a line or somehow got guestlisted. The night capped off with a very drunk Timbaland talking over Tink for majority of her set then Travis Scott as the first special guest, except he was too zombie'd out on benzos to perform and it was so loving depressing seeing HudMo spin a killer set to a bored crowd ("this poo poo sounds like game music"). The crowd was there to see whoever was the 2nd special guest... rumored to be Kanye which totally did NOT happen and the venue ended up closing half an hour early.

Wouldn't be SXSW if I didn't name all kinds of things I would've done different: Definitely should've gone to Boiler Room (Dipset did a surprise show). Should've spent my saturday to catch Doomtree and Action Bronson instead of completely wasting that day at the Fader Fort, I missed ilovemakkonnen, Earl, Big Krit, J-Rocc, Freddie Gibbs... but yeah, too much always happens at SXSW and it's impossible to cover it all.

air- fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 25, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

surely wayne is gonna sue for copyright on that

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
is there any rapper with a worse pedo-'stache than Chance?

because goddamn, dude looks like if he wasn't rapping he'd be hanging out in a windowless van with candy near playgrounds

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

You gotta have an open mind and look at this like art. He is very entertaining and rumors bring fame. This video is art. The beat holds emotion and his words do too... this is in my opinion a good song

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kenshin posted:

is there any rapper with a worse pedo-'stache than Chance?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, that too, but there are plenty of bad rappers out there.

I just keep seeing pictures of him the past day or two because of his collab with Action Bronson and I cannot get over that terrible mustache.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is that migos interview the first time Nard wasn't going for the cheesiest pose possible???

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah if you're near Austin you owe it to yourself to hit up sxsw. I've done it for 4 years straight (took a break this year and went traveling instead) and its loving awesome. I still remember waiting for Lil b's set to go down and then loving p diddy randomly showing up to introduce him and do his own set. loving amazing.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

can't wait for the migos/matty b collab mixtape

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Nice write up. Interesting experience.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That Mike Will show was probably really fun eh

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

That Mike Will show was probably really fun eh

Pretty much knew Rae Sremmurd would show up at the minimum, and everything else was a nice bonus. Honestly I was surprised that I liked hearing Miley do Nicki's lines on Throw Some Mo'

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah if you're near Austin you owe it to yourself to hit up sxsw. I've done it for 4 years straight (took a break this year and went traveling instead) and its loving awesome. I still remember waiting for Lil b's set to go down and then loving p diddy randomly showing up to introduce him and do his own set. loving amazing.

Sounds like you're a local or you live nearby? The city treated the preparations way differently after everything that happened last year... the Doritos stage/Lady Gaga, the accident with the drunk driver, stuff like that combined into a wakeup call: stricter and fewer event permits, numerous highway exits in the downtown area were closed with more street barricades to improve walkability, and getting a wristband by walk-up required a badgeholder to buy it for you. The wristband even carried some power past evening showcases this year since some day parties let you have expedited entry with a wristband. Of course, the event as a whole still had ads/branding/marketing plastered all over the place, but it was nice that the vibe felt dialed back towards getting people exposed to new talent versus big names typically seen on a festival bill, which is.. you know, the whole point. Here's another good big picture summary.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKc95jnp_pI

this has probably already been posted, but drat that last verse is p. sad for a turn up track

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

air- posted:

Pretty much knew Rae Sremmurd would show up at the minimum, and everything else was a nice bonus. Honestly I was surprised that I liked hearing Miley do Nicki's lines on Throw Some Mo'

Sounds like you're a local or you live nearby? The city treated the preparations way differently after everything that happened last year... the Doritos stage/Lady Gaga, the accident with the drunk driver, stuff like that combined into a wakeup call: stricter and fewer event permits, numerous highway exits in the downtown area were closed with more street barricades to improve walkability, and getting a wristband by walk-up required a badgeholder to buy it for you. The wristband even carried some power past evening showcases this year since some day parties let you have expedited entry with a wristband. Of course, the event as a whole still had ads/branding/marketing plastered all over the place, but it was nice that the vibe felt dialed back towards getting people exposed to new talent versus big names typically seen on a festival bill, which is.. you know, the whole point. Here's another good big picture summary.

Yeah I'm a local and the only reason I didn't go was because I had the opportunity to go to Japan last week so I took it. Last year was probably the worst sxsw I've been to and decided that I needed to do something different is all (and yeah it was a poo poo show). I'm glad the Doritos poo poo is gone but then this year McDonald's tried to have a showcase AND a food truck loving disgusting. But either way I always have fun at sxsw, and always been able to get into the good poo poo without a wristband.

We'll see maybe next year I'll do it! I was jealous as gently caress when my friends sent me pics at the RTJ show or the tpain show (he played 42 songs).

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Here is a 50 minute NPR interview with Earl Sweatshirt about his latest album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_UQIs3er8
I thought it was pretty interesting, but I like Earl.

The beginning is all about the release fiasco, but the latter half goes into the past two years for him.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought people were saying Earl raging on twitter about his label was just him mocking/parodying that other dude who did it earlier. Guess not though.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKc95jnp_pI

this has probably already been posted, but drat that last verse is p. sad for a turn up track

I wish this song didn't have the turn up part, the three 6 reflection was one of the best rap moments I've seen for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=007ccPvIm7M
RIP Lord Infamous

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harley C posted:

I wish this song didn't have the turn up part, the three 6 reflection was one of the best rap moments I've seen for a long time.

yeah what the gently caress. total tonal shift right there. end of the track is so good.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah I'm a local and the only reason I didn't go was because I had the opportunity to go to Japan last week so I took it. Last year was probably the worst sxsw I've been to and decided that I needed to do something different is all (and yeah it was a poo poo show). I'm glad the Doritos poo poo is gone but then this year McDonald's tried to have a showcase AND a food truck loving disgusting. But either way I always have fun at sxsw, and always been able to get into the good poo poo without a wristband.

We'll see maybe next year I'll do it! I was jealous as gently caress when my friends sent me pics at the RTJ show or the tpain show (he played 42 songs).

I'm with you on last year being one of, if not the worst sxsw, and I approached this year with a make it/break it mindset. It's still very possible to pull off doing cool poo poo with just rsvp's! I wanna say RTJ felt unavoidable this year, and that's a compliment to their work ethic, not a complaint... sure they're one of the bigger acts, but they played both day parties and evening showcases seemingly every day.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah I'm a local and the only reason I didn't go was because I had the opportunity to go to Japan last week so I took it.

You made the right choice.

Also Future's new tape is really good. I'd say even if you weren't a big fan of his previous work to check it out-it's not that different stylistically, but the songs seem a lot tighter and it sounds like he's blended a lot of his r&b leanings with his harder rap poo poo. He's not singing all over, but everything sounds smooth and polished without coming off as clear plays for radio or w/e.

And Earl's tape is way better than I expected. Sounds like a more listenable version of Doris. I guess he handled most of the production himself and it largely works. You can definitely hear a lot of Tyler in his production style, although it's lacking some of the lightness a lot of his lightness and depth. It reminds me of Lucki Eck$, only Earl's a slightly more...active rapper (difference from Doris) and the subject matter is obviously different. Also there's some similarities to old Buck 65 of all things (Earl obviously doesn't suffer from white guy voice like Buck 65, but the same slow, measured, sometimes whispery flow and moody production are definitely similar).

And I'm on record as saying that 2014 wasn't nearly as bad w/r/t rap as some people think, but man 2015 is really really off to a great start.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Bronson did Baby Blue on Letterman last night... sounds way better than the album version (especially the last note)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXuWPp5_Yc

If you dislike chance the rapper prepare to be annoyed throughout much of 2015... Pitchfork is prepping to ride his dick this year (he's headlining Pitchfork Fest this year... same slot kendrick had last year!!)

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Polo-Rican posted:

Bronson did Baby Blue on Letterman last night... sounds way better than the album version (especially the last note)

didn't bodyslam paul shaffer off the stage, 2/5, subpar bronson performance imo

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

2014 was an amazing year in terms of great singles, and progression of rap in new more interesting directions. I would easily choose a crazy new style of beat gaining popularity or some new artists like Rae Sremmurd coming out of the woodwork than a year of blockbuster Kanye and Kendrick releases where nothing new gets a look in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

If you dislike chance the rapper prepare to be annoyed throughout much of 2015... Pitchfork is prepping to ride his dick this year (he's headlining Pitchfork Fest this year... same slot kendrick had last year!!)

my hate will grow stronger