Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

Weber smokey mountain crew represent. My rig is customized with stainless steel door from cajun bandit and nomex gaskets on all the seals. Going to invest in a blower this summer. My ribs and pork are amazing but perfecting brisket is hard
The aluminum air-leaking door that ships on that thing is such a piece of poo poo. I was thinking of replacing it, this seals the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Syano posted:

Weber smokey mountain crew represent. My rig is customized with stainless steel door from cajun bandit and nomex gaskets on all the seals. Going to invest in a blower this summer. My ribs and pork are amazing but perfecting brisket is hard

I thought BBQing gives you cancer :v:

For a min I thought you were talking about PC cases too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Just buy a $400 Weber bullet smoker instead of uprooting your whole life for greasy meat you can make at home for pennies on the dollar

I love my 18" Smokey Mountain, but it's impossible to find cheap brisket here anyway, even though I have a good butcher :negative:

But I'd rather smoke pork shoulders.

E:

I've never heard of cajun bandit. I can get an expander? And a rotisserie? Life changing

evol262 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 26, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evol262 posted:

I love my 18" Smokey Mountain, but it's impossible to find cheap brisket here anyway, even though I have a good butcher :negative:

E:

I've never heard of cajun bandit. I can get an expander? And a rotisserie? Life changing

Finally something we can agree on. Pork shoulder is just too cheap right now and brisket seems to keep getting more expensive.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

evol262 posted:

E:

I haven't been to the cajun bandit site in about a year since I bought my door... I just looked at it. They have expanded their product line. Oh my. I think I have my birthday and Christmas wish list for the next few years

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Finally something we can agree on. Pork shoulder is just too cheap right now and brisket seems to keep getting more expensive.
Pork shoulder's also pretty much impossible to ruin if you have a decent remote read thermometer whereas with brisket, you've got like a 50/50 chance of outright wasting your money

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Pork shoulder's also pretty much impossible to ruin if you have a decent remote read thermometer whereas with brisket, you've got like a 50/50 chance of outright wasting your money

Even short ribs are a pain, though they're more forgiving than brisket.

I've given up on smoking beef the entire time, and I just confit or sous-vide it, then smoke to finish, which works every time, and sous-vide kit is affordable for mere mortals now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Another piece of advice for Austin guy is to get some crawfish while it's still in season. You yankees are missing out

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wouldn't call ~65% humidity a desert. Here in Colorado, we get 30% in summer, 43% in winter. I don't know, maybe Austin gets all its humidity from the ocean, despite having almost no rain or something. But I'd think it's kind of far inland for that, if I remember my geography right.

It is a metaphor. Austin is very different from the rest of Texas both culturally and politically.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SaltLick posted:

Another piece of advice for Austin guy is to get some crawfish while it's still in season. You yankees are missing out
There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to start.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

evol262 posted:

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to start.

I mean yea crawfish up in Austin is going to suck compared to down here in Houston and the coast but it's still gonna be better than nothing

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SaltLick posted:

I mean yea crawfish up in Austin is going to suck compared to down here in Houston and the coast but it's still gonna be better than nothing

Also calling people yankees when you're from Texas (which was barely involved in the Civil War anyway), calling people who aren't from New England yankees, and assuming you can't get crawfish almost anywhere in the country at the right time of year, especially with rusty crayfish spreading like a biblical plague.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
:yotj:

Well, sort of. I'm doing a 4-week consultancy/working interview for a local ski resort, but I'm fairly confident it will lead to full time employment at the end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Colorado is the only place I've lived that was so dry laser printer toner wouldn't bond to the paper. I think about 250 people die each year from static shock walking across a carpet.

Really? That would explain why every single loving laser printer I work on has toner hiding in the cracks. I thought it was just because they're all old and neglected. I turned an accessory tray upside-down on a desk yesterday to replace the pick arm, and then had to wipe the entire desk down with a chlorox wipe to get the toner off.

The Fool posted:

It is a metaphor. Austin is very different from the rest of Texas both culturally and politically.

Oh, okay. Ocean city's environment is to a desert as Austin's culture is to Texas's culture/cultural desert.

We thought about looking for jobs in Austin down the line. But then I checked how hot it gets. She would be fine with almost 100 degrees and humidity, I'm not okay with 90s and no humidity. Pretty much the only place that fits both our climate desires (not super dry, not above 80s with humidity, not below freezing) is Southern California. Which sucks, because gently caress California. I like having drinkable water and not dealing with CARB.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

evol262 posted:

Also calling people yankees when you're from Texas (which was barely involved in the Civil War anyway), calling people who aren't from New England yankees, and assuming you can't get crawfish almost anywhere in the country at the right time of year, especially with rusty crayfish spreading like a biblical plague.

Mad about language lol

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
edit: found correct thread

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 26, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SaltLick posted:

I am really finding it hard to believe that the 3 hours of driving from Houston to Austin is making any difference in the level of crawfish quality.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

All y'all are Gringos or Tejanos, hth

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SaltLick posted:

Mad about language lol

Don't confuse disgust and disdain with anger.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

It's a good city, but please don't come here, anybody

FYGM crew checking in. this goes for the denver area too. it owns out here but traffic and overcrowding are getting out of control.

BBQ chat: my friend recently built his own smoker out of a giant metal food-grade oil drum. It cost like $50 and owns. I'm incredibly jealous. He basically lives off of freshly smoked salmon now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am really finding it hard to believe that the 3 hours of driving from Houston to Austin is making any difference in the level of crawfish quality.

In many cases, that's the difference between them being frozen or fresh off the boat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

BBQ chat: my friend recently built his own smoker out of a giant metal food-grade oil drum. It cost like $50 and owns. I'm incredibly jealous. He basically lives off of freshly smoked salmon now.

The 14" Weber one is only $200 on Amazon, and since I am a lucky dog with a huge roof deck, I am tempted to pick one up. I feel like smoking your own meats checks the "Brooklyn Hipster" box pretty well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

All y'all are Gringos or Tejanos, hth

Haole :colbert:

Docjowles posted:

FYGM crew checking in. this goes for the denver area too. it owns out here but traffic and overcrowding are getting out of control.

Traffic and overcrowding compared to when? Denver traffic has always sucked. Traffic in this smaller town isn't as bad unless it's the few weeks around college move-in or college move-out. Then all of the parents are coming into town, and all of the freshmen are driving like assholes while they learn the city. gently caress all these new mid-rise student-oriented apartment buildings, though. I remember when the whole area around campus was houses. And none of them ever bother to buy enough space to build a drat parking lot. :corsair:

I'm actually thinking about moving to a suburb after this lease is up. Rent's cheaper, less traffic, no stupid occupancy restrictions, it's closer to :siren:MY NEW JOB:siren:, and I don't need the constant temptation of a half dozen awesome bars, my wallet is fine just the way it is. I feel like maybe I should have put the corsair smiley here instead.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

the spyder posted:

These are amazing and everyone should carry one in their kit/bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA

Seconding this. I've borrowed this from a guy in my office a million times for laptop hard drive swaps. It really doesn't get any easier than this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
To my long list of projects I've added assessing a failed Salesforce implementation. Only one active user is left, the rest having given up on it. It was the third CRM they tried, but with no I.T. oversight and crappy vendors I'm not surprised at the poor results.

I hope to bring this back from the dead with the help of a good vendor. They could really use it, even if it never extends beyond the one department that wanted it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Traffic and overcrowding compared to when? Denver traffic has always sucked.

I'm actually a filthy Colorado immigrant myself, I've only lived here like 7 years :ssh: So I don't have much of a frame of reference.

I just know that when I used to have to go to the Tech Center once or twice a month, it would take me longer to travel 10 miles from there to I-70 than it would the remaining 60 miles home to Fort Collins. Traffic in the city from like 3PM-7PM is just a complete loving parking lot. And that's without any sports or bad weather piling on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Even short ribs are a pain, though they're more forgiving than brisket.
Short ribs are super-easy to braise though, and some minor tweaks on Anne Burrell's recipe yield some pretty amazing results. Short ribs are so good at soaking up complex flavors already that I wouldn't want to muddy those waters with smoke.

Inspector_666 posted:

The 14" Weber one is only $200 on Amazon, and since I am a lucky dog with a huge roof deck, I am tempted to pick one up. I feel like smoking your own meats checks the "Brooklyn Hipster" box pretty well.
I wouldn't recommend one that small unless you're really constrained on space. Smoking is an all-day affair, and that thing is way too small to give you any amount of leftovers to make it worth your while.

(I use the dried-out parts of my hosed-up briskets to make chili.)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Short ribs are super-easy to braise though, and some minor tweaks on Anne Burrell's recipe yield some pretty amazing results. Short ribs are so good at soaking up complex flavors already that I wouldn't want to muddy those waters with smoke.

I pretty much only smoke beef so I can burn through all the mesquite I have.

It's almost impossible to screw up any recipe that involves braising fatty beef with red wine. Delicious no matter what.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

I wouldn't recommend one that small unless you're really constrained on space. Smoking is an all-day affair, and that thing is way too small to give you any amount of leftovers to make it worth your while.

I have no idea how much meat each size can actually hold, but on Amazon they said the littlest one will hold like a 14 lb turkey, which seems like a lot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I have no idea how much meat each size can actually hold, but on Amazon they said the littlest one will hold like a 14 lb turkey, which seems like a lot.
It will physically fit, but heat rises. When you have that little headroom, you get a huge temperature differential between the top and the bottom. It will still be fine for ribs and stuff, but you might need to trim the racks short to make them fit. It's a perfect size for chickens or pork shoulders.

Where the 14.5" model really excels is as a travel smoker, if you want to smoke meat while you're tailgating or camping or whatever.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The Denver traffic I've got experienced so far is nothing compared to Atlanta. gently caress Atlanta.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Methanar posted:

http://www.digcompass.ca/labour-market-outlook-2015-2019/highlights/

:unsmith:

811,200 ICT professionals are currently employed in Canada. Under three economic scenarios over a 5-year horizon, a combination of employment growth and replacement requirements produces estimates of total hiring requirements. Under a baseline scenario, cumulative hiring requirements in Canada for ICT talent are expected to be 182,000 by 2019. It is projected that the availability of homegrown ICT talent will not be sufficient to meet these hiring requirements.

As the current ICT workforce ages, not many youth are opting for ICT careers, leaving a void that could potentially limit Canada's future competitiveness before long. Significantly fewer youth work in ICT professions than in other jobs. In contrast, ICT professions have a greater proportion of workers in the older age groups compared to the total provincial workforce.

There has never been a better time than now to fulfill your 2012 pledge to leave the country if Obama was reelected.

Oh hell yes. Soon I'll be rolling in Wagon Wheels and Old Dutch potato chips. :btroll:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dick Trauma posted:

Old Dutch potato chips. :btroll:

Old Dutch Dill Pickle are the best thing ever.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does the US not have either of those. I've heard of you guys not doing butter tarts or ketchup chips.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

Does the US not have either of those. I've heard of you guys not doing butter tarts or ketchup chips.

Old Dutch is based in Minnesota, but I have no idea how far their distribution range goes into the US

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I've heard of you guys not doing butter tarts or ketchup chips.

loving barbarians down there for real.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Methanar posted:

what in the gently caress

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When the ketchup chips first came out they seriously looked like someone had a nose bleed into the bag. This was back in the 1970s so I don't know if they ever found a way to improve their appearance.

Also: Schneider's Hot Rods and Bick's Sweet Mixed Pickles. Goddamn I could live off of those things until the sodium intake kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rafikki posted:

The Denver traffic I've got experienced so far is nothing compared to Atlanta. gently caress Atlanta.

Thankfully, my folks live(d) 15 minutes from the airport in good traffic. So the most I've ever had to wait in traffic to get there was an hour :v:

The worst traffic I ever saw in Denver was when someone decided it would be a good idea to narrow I-25 Southbound down to one lane of traffic out of three. Despite no construction or accident. Just a few cones blocking off two lanes over the course of about 100 feet. This was on Friday night, right around 5-6PM. Couldn't be more than five miles, it took me two and a half hours to get through it.