Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Polo-Rican posted:

Bronson did Baby Blue on Letterman last night... sounds way better than the album version (especially the last note)

If you dislike chance the rapper prepare to be annoyed throughout much of 2015... Pitchfork is prepping to ride his dick this year (he's headlining Pitchfork Fest this year... same slot kendrick had last year!!)
Chance is the best part of that song.
Chance is too cool and I'm prepared for all the hip...good taste havers to let his records grow on them. And anyone who mentions Chance's voice should never listen to Young Thug or Danny Brown or all the dudes that do weird voices because that's a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

"no, he's just a bad rapper"

-good taste haver, EATIN SHRIMP

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Polo-Rican posted:

If you dislike chance the rapper prepare to be annoyed throughout much of 2015... Pitchfork is prepping to ride his dick this year (he's headlining Pitchfork Fest this year... same slot kendrick had last year!!)

Is it him or that social experiment group he has? Everything I've read from him has indicated he's not even working on a new album or anything and he's just working with that group and pushing their stuff.

I just hope that he realizes that he's "the rapper" not "the singer/acoustic guitar player/bongoist" and puts out some actual rap. I loved 10 Day, and while I liked Acid Rap and respected a lot of what he was doing on there, I thought he went a little too beyond what he's capable of so far on a lot of the songs. I was actually disappointed a bit by it, especially after hearing "Juice" I thought the album was gonna be much better than it turned out.

Harley C posted:

2014 was an amazing year in terms of great singles, and progression of rap in new more interesting directions. I would easily choose a crazy new style of beat gaining popularity or some new artists like Rae Sremmurd coming out of the woodwork than a year of blockbuster Kanye and Kendrick releases where nothing new gets a look in.
I actually agree largely with this (although Rae Sremmurd seems just like a modern Kriss Kross and idk why anyone over 17 would really be into them but w/e). Like I don't think RTJ would get nearly the discussion they got last year had their album came out sometime this year, among others. And I'm not even saying they were the newest or best of last year, but they're definitely a more out of the mainstream group that got a whole lot of play in various music media.

When you do get the blockbuster names they seem to suck the oxygen out of the room and take up most of the discussion and become pivot points. But on the other hand, when you don't have acts like that you end up with a lot of the focus being on what a "down" year it is, rather than appreciating all the new interesting stuff that actually does come out. And for dudes who follow rap seriously or w/e it doesn't much matter because they'll hear a good deal of all the new stuff anyways, but in terms of getting exposure and press and allowing that stuff to grow and succeed it kinda puts a damper on things.

I mean, I get into arguments with dudes constantly who try to talk about the "golden age" or w/e and I'm like, there's more good poo poo coming out now than maybe ever. I mean you may have to look for it but pretty much no matter what "style" you like there's dudes out there for you. And for all the harping on '92 and whatever dudes always wanna forget that MC Hammer and Snow and things like that were charting and getting serious play around that time so it's not like America was getting nothing but Illmatic/Midnight Marauders/The Chronic/Fear of a Black Planet blasted over the airwaves.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

Chance is the best part of that song.
Chance is too cool and I'm prepared for all the hip...good taste havers to let his records grow on them. And anyone who mentions Chance's voice should never listen to Young Thug or Danny Brown or all the dudes that do weird voices because that's a thing now.

As an aside, because I know it was one of the burning questions you had but Young Thug on his recent single explicitly says he's not gay so you can rest easy that he's no longer straddling the lines and has planted his sexual flag firmly in "no homo" territory.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, because I know it was one of the burning questions you had but Young Thug on his recent single explicitly says he's not gay so you can rest easy that he's no longer straddling the lines and has planted his sexual flag firmly in "no homo" territory.

that's too bad

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I mean, I get into arguments with dudes constantly who try to talk about the "golden age" or w/e and I'm like, there's more good poo poo coming out now than maybe ever.
Production has gotten better but the average late 80-90s rapper could rhyme circles around today's guys.

alansmithee posted:

:boom:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

temple posted:

Production has gotten better but the average late 80-90s rapper could rhyme circles around today's guys.

lol k

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

I mean I guess maybe? It depends on what you consider "average". Like a dude like Rakim was a revelation back then but now compared to some cats out he sounds dated and basic as gently caress. And you still had a ton of dudes with a boring rear end Run-DMC flow. Like I'd probably take the top 5-10 dudes now over the top 5-10 from then, in terms of rapping ability.

I will give you the average dude from then is probably better at rapping than the average dude now, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better at making rap songs. You also have to consider that, for better or worse, "rapping well" isn't nearly as valued. I mean there's a whole group of dudes in this thread that seem allergic to any rapper that sounds like he finished middle school so some dudes are definitely making a stylistic choice to dumb down.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

temple posted:

No way. Not that there weren't some really good rappers in the 80-90s but compared to the good stuff today the majority of flows from the 80-90s era of hip-hop tend to sound slow, awkward, and often stilted in comparison.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

> any 90s rapper

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lmao

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I will give you the average dude from then is probably better at rapping than the average dude now, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better at making rap songs.
The songs are better but I would attribute that to better producers fueled by laptop software and digital libraries. The type of songs have changed to largely pop tracks, what we called club songs, from being lyricist focused. Even now, talking about lyricism is seen as corny.

I say this because a few weeks ago I googled up some random 90s acts and their songs were solid. But the level of competition was so high, you couldn't be average to get noticed. There was much better quality control. Out of the mountain of trap guys, Migos does a good job. So good, everyone bit them the gently caress up. Biting always happened but fans called them on it. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Snow, anyone bullshitting was called on it. Being average wasn't accepted by fans. The songs and the fans changed all together.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

The songs are better but I would attribute that to better producers fueled by laptop software and digital libraries. The type of songs have changed to largely pop tracks, what we called club songs, from being lyricist focused. Even now, talking about lyricism is seen as corny.

I say this because a few weeks ago I googled up some random 90s acts and their songs were solid. But the level of competition was so high, you couldn't be average to get noticed. There was much better quality control. Out of the mountain of trap guys, Migos does a good job. So good, everyone bit them the gently caress up. Biting always happened but fans called them on it. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Snow, anyone bullshitting was called on it. Being average wasn't accepted by fans. The songs and the fans changed all together.

Being a good rapper =/= making good rap music. It's not all just the production-it's about being able to harness the ability to rap well into making something people want to listen to. I can pull up random songs from now and have their songs be "solid" as well.

And if anything, competition is way higher now because there's way more being put out, and it's way more accessible. In the 90's unless you were a serious tape trader dude, you were pretty much limited to local scene + radio/tv. If you were near a college you could get a bit more exposure, but otherwise you had not much in terms of variety. Also, tons of "average" dudes got put on-it was part of all the average dudes getting contracts that caused NY to fall off so hard since you ended up with a bunch of generic clones of each other. Also how were fans not accepting of Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Snow, etc? Those dudes have numerous platinum plaques, nobody was calling them out on poo poo.

I totally agree that the average rapper is worse now, but I don't see the difference as being that large. And, compared to the 90s, when you find something you consider bullshit it's trivial to find good music. It reminds me of all the rock dudes who complain how nothing good's been made since the 70's or whatever.

(and if we're being totally honest, everyone knows it was the early 2000's "underground" cats that was the best rappers anyways).

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

temple posted:

I know that you have an incurable case of Bad Poster Disease, but you're really looking at the past with some rose-colored glasses on. Like boombap rappity rappin is awesome, and always will be. But to suggest that nowdays everything is completely different for the worse, it's all computers and producers and pop music, is just retardedly reductionist.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

bum stiggedy bum stiggedy bum bum

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Carter 6 AOTY

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

And if anything, competition is way higher now because there's way more being put out, and it's way more accessible.
Nah, because people are happy to have their 50,000 fans and tour to crowds of 500 people and call it a career. We've had this discussion.

And I lived through the 90s. Hammer and Vanilla Ice sold because they crossover. Nobody was loving with them. They were (rich) jokes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYp28tEAVvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A7tLVIsuNw

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

this is really good might have to smoke some penises rn

the new future tape is a little less organized than Monster but it's basically Monster pt.2 executively produced by southside instead of metro boomin. southside did his thing but tm88 is obviously the 808mafia mvp and should've produced an entire future tape instead

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Harley C posted:

I wish this song didn't have the turn up part, the three 6 reflection was one of the best rap moments I've seen for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=007ccPvIm7M
RIP Lord Infamous

Yeah a whole track featuring that kind of Juicy J would be really great imo

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Does anyone want to read a really depressing story about former No Limit rapper Mac and a corrupt justice system?

On a lighter note, I don't know how many people in this thread follow battle rap, but Calicoe is legitimately the only battle rapper I would consider listening to outside of battling. Mixtape out next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-tXE6j1bco

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Better than anything on TPAB

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thug is seriously everything wrong with the new generation and only on the internet do I see anybody take him serious anymore. All I hear when I mention him is that he's a flaming wanna be Wayne, especially with all this poo poo happening Wayne is gaining respect back.

I can't even ironically respect an open homothug just because he goes "no wait I'm not gay rly guys". His music is everything Gucci haters used to say about his music. Mumbling trash saying a bunch of nothing trying hard to be cool.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

RBX posted:

I can't even ironically respect an open homothug

that's too bad

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
wow, marginalized and unfairly persecuted minorities in MY rap music? not if I have anything to say about it!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
perhaps you only hear people taking him seriously "on the internet" because you have surrounded yourself with equally bigoted pieces of poo poo who should never be taken seriously in any regard. just a thought.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

perhaps you only hear people taking him seriously "on the internet" because you have surrounded yourself with equally bigoted pieces of poo poo who should never be taken seriously in any regard. just a thought.

I almost take pity on those that can't appreciate Thugga Hemingway

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
There's nothing about Young Thug's music that remotely interests me, but I genuinely feel sorry for the guy and the obsession surrounding his sexuality

vanbags fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 27, 2015

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

vanbags posted:

There's nothing about Young Thug's music that remotely interests me, but I genuinely feel sorry for the guy and the obsession surrounding his sexuality

He does it to himself tho. You wouldn't genuinely feel sorry for Azelia Banks going around beefing on twitter/bringing up racism wherever she can and in return being called a oval office, would you?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

vanbags posted:

Yea I don't like dudes music or style at all but who the gently caress cares about his sexuality.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

RBX posted:

I can't even ironically respect an open homothug just because he goes "no wait I'm not gay rly guys". His music is everything Gucci haters used to say about his music. Mumbling trash saying a bunch of nothing trying hard to be cool.

Shame the kids don't care about big boring thug rappers and old man opinions are irrelevant.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
mods pls rename thread "Yo! NMD Raps- Mumbling trash saying a bunch of nothing trying hard to be cool"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

vanbags posted:

It think he's doing the Michael Jackson thing of acting so naive about how weird he is.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

smokin penises!!!!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What is weird about him? Not really familiar and I feel a Google image search isn't good enough. Are there stories of something?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is weird about him? Not really familiar and I feel a Google image search isn't good enough. Are there stories of something?

The crazy thing is it really shouldn't loving matter to anyone at all.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

The crazy thing is it really shouldn't loving matter to anyone at all.

I don't think he's gay but if you don't find this funny I don't know what to tell you

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I can ask any normal dude outside now,ask any woman or man on Facebook all will agree this young thug poo poo is old now. This whole metrosexual thing in hip hop and the young generation is an actual problem. Women are even speaking out of about it. But the thread likes him and loving imposter hip hop sites market him so I'm wrong tho! Everything he says is ignorant, he stands for nothing, his interviews are terrible, and doesn't give a gently caress about anything unlike a Gucci, jeezy, or Gates.

Yes I care about somebody trying to make loving men cute and cool in music and wearing leggings and dresses. Everyday on Facebook a new local thug dude gets exposed for being down low. Dudes with 3 babymamas getting screenshoted asking men for head and spreading stds to innocent women. poo poo is really happening. This is too real to talk about here, my bad.

Smoking pensis

RBX fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RBX posted:

I can ask any normal dude outside now,ask any woman or man on Facebook all will agree this young thug poo poo is old now. This whole metrosexual thing in hip hop and the young generation is an actual problem. Women are even speaking out of about it. But the thread likes him and loving imposter hip hop sites market him so I'm wrong tho! Everything he says is ignorant, he stands for nothing, his interviews are terrible, and doesn't give a gently caress about anything unlike a Gucci, jeezy, or Gates.

Yes I care about somebody trying to make loving men cute and cool in music and wearing leggings and dresses. Everyday on Facebook a new local thug dude gets exposed for being down low. Dudes with 3 babymamas getting screenshoted asking men for head and spreading stds to innocent women. poo poo is really happening. This is too real to talk about here, my bad.

Smoking pensis

You're an idiot, and so are your Facebook friends.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

RBX posted:

Thug is seriously everything wrong with the new generation and only on the internet do I see anybody take him serious anymore. All I hear when I mention him is that he's a flaming wanna be Wayne, especially with all this poo poo happening Wayne is gaining respect back.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

RBX posted:

This whole metrosexual thing in hip hop and the young generation is an actual problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ46FWvZAhM

Is that you, Mac?