Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

taqueso posted:

I prefer the pure tones of sine waves to the cacophony of music.

That electronic crap is worthless. I have an aeolian harp in my backyard, with a matrix of negative ion generators running to make sure there are no air pollutants preventing those precious sound waves from reaching my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

taqueso posted:

I prefer the pure tones of sine waves to the cacophony of music.

Music is a lot of pure sine waves just aid on top of each other.

Also if you want good results and have a spare bit of cash the MiniDSP Dirac stuff is as close to a magic box as you'll get without straying off into stupid pseudoscience. A good combination of FIR and IIR filters to compensate for early reflections and room modes plus impulse and phase linearisation is well worth the small trade off in delay.

I think it starts around $800, includes the DSP box and mic and software.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

I think it starts around $800, includes the DSP box and mic and software.

From a position of ignorance about what they actually do "behind the scenes:" what does that do that the auto-calibration mic/software that comes with most receivers doesn't? I mean we're talking $800 vs free, (at least if you're buying a new receiver anyway) so it should be something major, right?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Theris posted:

From a position of ignorance about what they actually do "behind the scenes:" what does that do that the auto-calibration mic/software that comes with most receivers doesn't? I mean we're talking $800 vs free, (at least if you're buying a new receiver anyway) so it should be something major, right?

Most auto calibration simply runs IIR filters to generate a 'flat' (often bass boosted or gradual downward sloping but whatever) magnitude response.

Essentially you're correcting in only the frequency domain, which can cause issues with phase shift and exacerbate room modes or end up with weird sounding results.

The Dirac thing is basically a hand holding baby's first approach to seeing those same measurement results, and allowing you to pick a target response before aiming to correct towards that using convolution in DSP to correct not just magnitude but phase and cabinet anomalies such as horn reflections, smearing etc. It's a little hard to explain the core concepts without getting super into AES paper stuff that assumes a chunk of prior knowledge, but their own site has a fairly rudimentary 'whitepaper' and some links to other similar tools/apps that explains it to an extent.

http://www.dirac.se/media/12044/on_room_correction.pdf

In practice the difference can be quite startling even for a novice though. You end up with more consistent coverage in the target listening area, better pattern control/rejection outside of it and a more 'natural' sound due to many frequencies arriving at the same time, closer to a real instrument.

$800 is cheap for the results it can get, partly because it only works on a few channels. Doing this for a multi-driver multi-cabinet array at say an arena level carries costs of many many thousands of dollars in software, DSP/amp channels and measuring hardware alone.

However like anything it isn't a magic bullet, just a set of compromises that can yield positive results in return for a bit of effort and sacrificing overall delay in the system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're willing to put the work in to learn it, you can get similar results from REQ wizard (free) a USB calibrated mic (~$70) and a Mini DSP without the dirac software (~$100). You just have to put a lot of effort into manually tweaking your settings instead of following the directions on the magic box.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The real solution is to remodel your listening room with acoustics in mind.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Or just use headphones.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A nice speaker system in a nice room is better than headphones.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LifeSizePotato posted:

Agreed.

While I'm here, I don't know if this is totally ignorant but: wouldn't the easiest way to test a system be to put a couple high quality mics/sound recorders right at the position of your ears in your listening room, play a track, and then compare the hi-fi recording's waveform to the one that started out in the system? I doubt it would ever be a 100% match just due to acoustics but if they're going for absolute fidelity, and feeling like you're right there next to Roger Waters and Syd Barret in the studio, it seems to this know-nothing layman like that would be the scientific way to approach it?

You don't understand, we have the capability to make 14nm CPUs, 40 terabits/s fiber optics across the Atlantic but not audio testing equipment that are objectively better than our ears.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fart simpson posted:

A nice speaker system in a nice room is better than headphones.

But several magnitudes larger and expensive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Headphones are nice but when you have mates over and you want to listen to Dethera it's kind of awkward to plug in several sets of headphones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JK no-one wants to listen to Dethera.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Audiophile reviewers always must listen to some kind of female vocalist [jazz or Latin, take your pick], at least one dadrock band and one rock band that someone that old would consider "modern" like Coldplay, Radiohead or Cake. You'd think if they actually were trying to get a good comparison they'd listen to the same "test suite" every time but then they wouldn't be able to show off their cool musical taste.

My favorite speaker shopping song is the long version of "The Box" by Orbital, I've listened to it a million times and it has pretty much every kind of sound in it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Audiophile reviewers always must listen to some kind of female vocalist [jazz or Latin, take your pick], at least one dadrock band and one rock band that someone that old would consider "modern" like Coldplay, Radiohead or Cake. You'd think if they actually were trying to get a good comparison they'd listen to the same "test suite" every time but then they wouldn't be able to show off their cool musical taste.

My favorite speaker shopping song is the long version of "The Box" by Orbital, I've listened to it a million times and it has pretty much every kind of sound in it.

One of my guilty pleasures is going into high-end speaker shops and trolling them with my music taste.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

One of my guilty pleasures is going into high-end speaker shops and trolling them with my music taste.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fDgSSU5_K0

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

It's also a phenomenal record that sounds as good today as when it came out.

Think I'm gonna go home in half hour and play that sucker real loud.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Prison Sex by Tool is actually a really good song to test speakers.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The production quality on Da Unbreakables by Three-Six Mafia is excellent and I don't hesitate to recommend it as a test album.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Late '90s French Ska or nothing.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

GWBBQ posted:

The production quality on Da Unbreakables by Three-Six Mafia is excellent and I don't hesitate to recommend it as a test album.

Thought about posting this earlier, thought it would be assumed I was trolling. Godspeed.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KillHour posted:

If you're willing to put the work in to learn it, you can get similar results from REQ wizard (free) a USB calibrated mic (~$70) and a Mini DSP without the dirac software (~$100). You just have to put a lot of effort into manually tweaking your settings instead of following the directions on the magic box.

Of course. But it's a LOT of effort to learn how to know what data to use and what to throw away, how to measure for different things, etc.

Also, use of IIR filtering can only get you so far. There is some really, frankly quite mad stuff going on with high end FIR and mixed-phase DSP going on right now that just pickles my brain, but at the base level it can make a huge improvement in a system if used properly.

The Dirac thing is out of my 'yeah I'll buy that' range but if you suddenly won big on a scratch card and wanted to make an extremely good room just to listen to music without throwing away oodles of cash and time learning about acoustics then combining the (not so) black box with some proper nice off the shelf oblate spheroid horns and reflex subs is a good way to go. Could do it for under $7000 total and poo poo all over most audiophile setups.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KillHour posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2jDNZ5JuQ

This poo poo will ruin your house with a decent sub.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2jDNZ5JuQ

This poo poo will ruin your house with a decent sub.

Unironically would like to hear more stuff like that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

Unironically would like to hear more stuff like that.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2849356

In other news, Erich at DIY Sound Group is shipping out my drivers today!

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd105-4-4-aluminum-cone-midbass-driver-4-ohm--290-212

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28f-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-tweeter--275-070

Using them to replace the destroyed midrange and tweeters in some old Sony tower speakers. Now I need to figure out how to build a passive 3-way crossover....

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KillHour posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2849356

In other news, Erich at DIY Sound Group is shipping out my drivers today!

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd105-4-4-aluminum-cone-midbass-driver-4-ohm--290-212

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc28f-8-1-1-8-silk-dome-tweeter--275-070

Using them to replace the destroyed midrange and tweeters in some old Sony tower speakers. Now I need to figure out how to build a passive 3-way crossover....

http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/APCXOver/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I knew about that. I just need to do some more research. I don't have the frequency response data for the woofers in those speakers (can't find them published anywhere), and I need to do some reading on how to pick crossover points and matching speaker sensitivity.

And that calculator wants me to put the lower crossover point rather high. I can't imagine the 12" woofers in those speakers are going to do well at 300+Hz. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 27, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Prison Sex by Tool is actually a really good song to test speakers.

Nah, that whole CD is mastered to poo poo. The volume is way off and the bass is weirdly missing. Anything by Tool later than that though, is a great way of hearing if the setup gives you detail in the lowend.

KillHour posted:

In case you haven't noticed, the kind of people that will obsess over minor differences in sound between two systems are not very interesting people, in general. I doubt most audiophiles really enjoy music very much.

I posted this a little over 2 years ago on why I think audiophiles do this:

Khablam posted:

Hmmm, yeah, you're touching on something that gets expressed in quite a few different ways I think.
I don't know how it goes down in the rest of the world, but in the UK it is extremely common for social groups, during your teenage years, to sit on a fabric of common musical tastes. It goes way beyond stereotypes of "goths", "metalheads", "club goers (trance)" and so on, too. Pretty straightforward, right?

Well yes, but there's also a group who, for whatever reason, will reject any such affiliations, and will often put up a defensive line which almost seeks to rout any attempt to define them by musical taste. They're the people who, when asked for a favourite song or artist, will say something like "The Ghostbusters themesong" -- you know the type I'm sure. They're often vocal about disliking any and all music, too. They only like a particular music ironically - more accurately, I assume they'll only be seen to like a particular song ironically. There's probably a decent cross-over of people who have been bullied, and seek to essentially hide possible ammunition from would-be mockery, even if the chance of that only now exists in their head.

Well, these people grow up, and invariably people tend to listen to music. What then, do you listen to? My theory, is they gravitate towards very safe choices; albums and artists that have remained critically acclaimed for a generation (basically, what they know from childhood). It's your Dark side of the Moon (notice, the more controversial Floyd albums (the ones with less consensus on) are never there), Sgt. Peppers/The White Album, Exodus ... you know the common culprits, I'm sure.
They'll often name-drop the albums in the Audiophile forums, as they know the only comments they'll ever hear are positive, and anyone who says something negative about them is rebuked, as "everyone knows its one of the best albums ever made, I cannot be wrong."
They're basically enormous cowards at expressing themselves.
It seems almost logical, to me, that they'd go on to express how they listen to those acceptable albums, rather than introduce 'non-sanctioned' elements (music choices) instead.
It's a socially awkward form of self expression; rather than express themselves through the music they chose to listen to, they express how much they love the music they do listen to by the way they listen to it.
You're right, Blistex, head over to any audiophile forum and there's little to no discussion about music; how can they claim to love listening to music, and yet they don't enthuse over the latest artist/album that their $10k setup doesn't make them want to weep over? It makes little sense.
Another way of looking at it, is they're the diametric opposite to hipsters, who will be 100% about what they're listening to, and will actively seek out ways to do it wrong (the latest artist no one has heard of, played on a single-speaker mono soundsystem).

Reading the above back, it comes out as a little jumbled, but hopefully you see the gist of what I'm trying to say. I'm sure there are Audiophiles out there who love all types of music (I know there are, in fact) - but there are a good many, if you look, who have chosen the how instead of the what as a means of expression.

tl;dr - it's not that they don't enjoy music, it's that they're scared to genuinely express what they do listen to. They don't want "well of COURSE you wouldn't hear the difference, listening to poo poo like that" as a comment on their opinion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That or they're just dumb people with bland taste in music.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://test.tidalhifi.com/

Wow.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Four in five correct, well done!
You have an ear for detail and a good audio system, it’s for people like you that we have created the service. You deserve TIDAL for 14 days.

The song that I missed was the song I actually know (Hotel California) and I took the test on my Macbook without any special DAC or even headphones. Guess I do have golden ears after all :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I apparently got all 5 correct. Even though I couldn't hear a difference at all (through a proper 2.1 setup with external DAC and active crossover). I just guessed on each one, but apparently I'm who they created the service for. :iiam:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

I apparently got all 5 correct. Even though I couldn't hear a difference at all (through a proper 2.1 setup with external DAC and active crossover). I just guessed on each one, but apparently I'm who they created the service for. :iiam:

I got 4 of 5. I'm curious as to whether someone can actually "miss" all 5 or if they're cynically giving out 5s and 4s. And if they *do* actually accurately report if someone misses all 5 does it say something like, "Begone pleb! Stick to your lovely MP3s and cheap box wine."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

flosofl posted:

I got 4 of 5. I'm curious as to whether someone can actually "miss" all 5 or if they're cynically giving out 5s and 4s. And if they *do* actually accurately report if someone misses all 5 does it say something like, "Begone pleb! Stick to your lovely MP3s and cheap box wine."

I'm pretty sure it's just marketing schtick to get people to sign up for free trials.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if 4/5 of them actually had FLAC files for both buttons, and it was only possible to get 1 wrong at most.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Randomly guessing I got 1/5 and 2/5. According to download helper each page had 2 flac files of equal sizes. I'm not sure I understand their thought process. Wouldn't you want to accentuate the difference to show people why they should buy your service?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

Randomly guessing I got 1/5 and 2/5. According to download helper each page had 2 flac files of equal sizes. I'm not sure I understand their thought process. Wouldn't you want to accentuate the difference to show people why they should buy your service?

It's probably a direct CD rip FLAC vs a FLAC transcoded from a 192 kbps MP3.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

4 out of 5 but I genuinely couldn't tell the difference either (iMac -> DAC -> Sansui Amp -> Mordaunt Short large bookshelves). Thanks Tidal for proving that FLAC is a complete waste of time for me!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got 2/5. Guess my work computer's on-board sound through my regular earbuds just isn't enough!

EDIT: Redid it just picking B for all of them and got 4/5.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Got a stinking cold, perforated right ear-drum, listening on £10 Sony earbuds plugged into the headphone socket on a crappy Acer Chromebook.

4/5 - got James Blake wrong.

Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I got 3/5 I am a scrub.

And did everyone have some annoying background clicking in every track? It wasn't like.. aliasing from compression it was just a high pitched chattering.