Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
Alternatively; what's the car in your driveway that you wouldn't post in the your own car thread? It might be interesting to see how tastes differ in the same household, or if someone is dating or married to someone who is even more AI than them.

My wife drives something like this, as does half of the American population. She loves it to death, it bores me to tears. I can't argue it's pretty much faultless unless you want to pass someone above 30 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My wife just went from a Mazdaspeed MX-5 to a 4th-gen 4Runner. She loves it. I love it.

It's so nice to be able to do an oil change without using a jack.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
A Chrysler product.

5 speed, 4.0 TJ rubicon

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My wife drives a 2013 Fiesta, 5-speed. Looking to replace it with a Focus this year, with a six-speed. She won't drive automatics. Not even a rental.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Old squeeze had a 2000 Toyota Rav4 she named Hammond because it was "plucky and tiny like that guy from Top Gear"

New squeeze has a 1995 Mercedes E320. I like it because it doesn't have MFI. Our second date included lifting it in my garage and her giggling a lot.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This glorious beast which we have named Carol:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
2004 Audi A4 in silver. 1.8T. :geno: in car form.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Drives my Fiesta ST more than I do :negative:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Here is my complete stable:

The red one is hers. A 2010 PRHT 6spd.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Husband drives a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI which I affectionately call his mom-mobile.

It looks awkward parked next to my Chevy Sonic. I took the Sonic from him when he decided he wanted a new car, but that's besides the point.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Diseasel S-Max. Handling wise, It's not bad for an MPV. It corners fairly flat and doesn't actively try to kill you like a French one of a similar size.

It is, however, "modern". So you can't jack it up because it has no jack and has a huge-rear end vertical flange on the sill that would be crushed like a tin can if you used any kind of scissor or hydraulic jack on it. Also, she's knackered the battery and now to replace it I need to remove the airbox and root around under the windshield until I figure out how it's secured to the tray. Even odds there is at least one fastener I'll have to do blind. Oh, and they decided to stick the cruise control unit in the fender where it gets wet and stops working. Then you get to take the wing apart to replace it. Also replacing a rear bulb means reaching inside the unibody blind and undoing huge plastic wingnuts. At least you don't need to take the fender off.

e: also, factory pimp tint, so at night you can back into solid objects that are completely invisible.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My partner has a 2007 Toyota Matrix. It's pretty dull but after almost 100,000 miles and two wrecks (that weren't his fault) it still runs and drives really well. Aside from brakes, tires, and oil changes the only thing I've had to replace in the time we've been together (almost 5 years) was the intake manifold gasket. It's going to need a water pump soon but it's a pretty straightforward job so I'm not worried about it.

I've considered picking one up for myself as a daily driver since it's been so reliable.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Mine rides the city bus. :bandwagon:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
My wife drives this silly car.

I'm totally jealous of the exhaust sound. She drives like a crazy person and yells at people going slow and calls them pussies. She won't drive my FiST she said its like driving a boat? I'm also working on a 75 F150 so she can attempt to rip sick burnouts in front of her parents house.
My wife is strange.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Saga posted:

Diseasel S-Max. Handling wise, It's not bad for an MPV. It corners fairly flat and doesn't actively try to kill you like a French one of a similar size.

It is, however, "modern". So you can't jack it up because it has no jack and has a huge-rear end vertical flange on the sill that would be crushed like a tin can if you used any kind of scissor or hydraulic jack on it.

If there is truly no reccomended jacking point that works, find where the metal "arm" bits of the suspension are bolted to the unibody and jack it up from there. Put something under the nearby wheel, remove the jack and replace it with a stand. Make sure to shake the car before getting under it.

The engine crossmember (watch out for oil and trans fluid pans!) And rear differential if it is AWD are also good options.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to look at a 98 Lexus ES300 for her on Saturday, it will be the first car she's owned.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

A Nissan Juke.

/thread

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Both of her rides in one picture.

04 WJ Special Edition

We carpool in my Focus most of the time now, but the Jeep is great for going to the barn and when we have winters like we did this year:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If there is truly no reccomended jacking point that works, find where the metal "arm" bits of the suspension are bolted to the unibody and jack it up from there. Put something under the nearby wheel, remove the jack and replace it with a stand. Make sure to shake the car before getting under it.

The engine crossmember (watch out for oil and trans fluid pans!) And rear differential if it is AWD are also good options.

From memory, the problem is when I tried that with a hydraulic jack the arm fouls on something, probably the sporty side skirts or that loving sill. :)

It's not designed to be user serviceable. That's why you get no jack and a bottle of fixaflat as a tool kit.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

angryhampster posted:

This glorious beast which we have named Carol:

Mine had one of those, in red. She hated it so I don't think it was ever given a name. It really was a nasty little car.

It was traded up for Lucy...

The '10 Legacy. Its pretty slow and boring, but comfortable and relatively handsome. A mom car. She's a mom though so its pretty much perfect. Thank god I talked her out of a crossover. I keep the sporting pretensions going with my old GTP. Lucy may get swapped out for either a new Legacy or Impala soon. She's got car ADD which I've been trying to calm since we just put a timing belt, brakes, tires and plugs on it. Silly for us to get rid of but a hell of a bargain for the next owner.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My wife drives our 98 civic for her 105 miles per day but we're arguing about whether to get a Golf R or Focus RS when it comes out. She wants the golf, I want the focus.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
She drives a 2013 Hyundai Sonota. It keeps her happy and its the only non British car we own.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
2002 Volvo V70 XC.

She absolutely loves it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

One of these:

Her vrs is faster than mine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My roomies drive a 2011 Yaris and a 2013 Juke.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Mine had one of those, in red. She hated it so I don't think it was ever given a name. It really was a nasty little car.

It was traded up for Lucy...

The '10 Legacy. Its pretty slow and boring, but comfortable and relatively handsome. A mom car. She's a mom though so its pretty much perfect. Thank god I talked her out of a crossover. I keep the sporting pretensions going with my old GTP. Lucy may get swapped out for either a new Legacy or Impala soon. She's got car ADD which I've been trying to calm since we just put a timing belt, brakes, tires and plugs on it. Silly for us to get rid of but a hell of a bargain for the next owner.
Same here. 2011 though with a whopping 10,000 KMs on it.

My DD is a Tacoma and her office is by mine so we usually carpool and the Subaru gets relegated to holiday driving and the odd day I need to stay out of town.
Completely unexciting and boring, but does what it's meant to do well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 28, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
B6 Passat Wagon, 2.0t. She has a faster car than I do. drat fiscal responsibility :argh:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

zundfolge posted:

My partner has a 2007 Toyota Matrix. It's pretty dull but after almost 100,000 miles and two wrecks (that weren't his fault) it still runs and drives really well. Aside from brakes, tires, and oil changes the only thing I've had to replace in the time we've been together (almost 5 years) was the intake manifold gasket. It's going to need a water pump soon but it's a pretty straightforward job so I'm not worried about it.

I've considered picking one up for myself as a daily driver since it's been so reliable.

Mine has one too but it's an 03 xrs, so it gets the 2zz high compression motor with top end designed by yamaha and 8500 redline. It's awesome. The only downside (aside from waiting for replacement airbags for the takata BS, the recall notice said they don't have replacements yet and "don't let anyone ride in the passenger seat" :getout:) is that I cannot loving drive the thing smoothly around the city. It must have a super light flywheel and the clutch is basically a on/off switch so I either stall it or smell clutch. I've been driving manual for 15 years but I just can't get it right, I'm too big.

She stalls it once a week too though so I think the clutch is just bad for DDing. But my god is it fun once you wind it out past 6k.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
My wife is a 32 year old mom and drives a 32 year old mom Nissan Murano.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
A Bentley Turbo, I think, I dunno I haven't met her yet

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

A Nissan Juke.

/thread

A black first gen fiat multipla with a purple cloth interior. :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
A literally beige 2004 accord ex. Only 60k miles, paid off and is still probably worth around 8k if she wanted to sell it. Great car, if the God damned front bumper cover would stop mysteriously cracking :v: replaced it twice with eBay bumper covers paint matched from the seller.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
2009 Honda Fit with an autotragic. It's actually not a bad car, the auto is surprisingly good and it gets great gas millage.

That being said I hate driving it because she keeps all kinds of crap in the car, it's always dirty and slow.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

devmd01 posted:

B6 Passat Wagon, 2.0t.

Same, she bought the six speed. We actually had to special order it for the manual in '08 as well.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
She rides a bicycle and she won't even loving tune it up. She just buys a new one for $200 every couple of years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A 2011 Camry that she's going to destroy because she has poor spatial awareness and an inability to use pedals in anything other than on/off fashion

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The current woman I'm seeing is driving a 2008 Escape Hybrid. It's pretty much the beginning of Ford not being terrible, so I'm ok with it.

My last girlfriend drove a 97 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed. I think that car will drive forever. 180k miles on the original clutch and still going strong. It does need two window regulators, but she refuses to spend money on "the little things".

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Mine has one too but it's an 03 xrs, so it gets the 2zz high compression motor with top end designed by yamaha and 8500 redline. It's awesome. The only downside (aside from waiting for replacement airbags for the takata BS, the recall notice said they don't have replacements yet and "don't let anyone ride in the passenger seat" :getout:) is that I cannot loving drive the thing smoothly around the city. It must have a super light flywheel and the clutch is basically a on/off switch so I either stall it or smell clutch. I've been driving manual for 15 years but I just can't get it right, I'm too big.

She stalls it once a week too though so I think the clutch is just bad for DDing. But my god is it fun once you wind it out past 6k.

By the sound of it, his isn't any easier to drive smoothly even though it's an automatic. The throttle feels like it goes from closed to halfway open over perhaps a millimeter of pedal travel so to accelerate smoothly from a stop you either have to feather the throttle or give it more than you think you need to avoid giving yourself whiplash. It's one of the few things that annoys me about it but it seems like most cars with electronic throttles are mapped that way so it's not like it's exclusively a Toyota thing.

Didn't manual Matrixes (Matrices?) have clutch problems in the first generation?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1996 4cyl Camry. WOOOPDEEDOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Wife rolls an '04 Mazda 3 with the five speed. It's a fine car, and we're gonna replace it soon with a newer 3.

• Locked thread